More info validating that Nintendo NX will be cartridge based

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#101 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Pedro said:
@AzatiS said:

Why the heck you are full of excuses , you sheep ?

Cartridges mean 2 things.

1) Way more costly , both for Nintendo and the 3rd party developers.

2) which will lead to make 3rd parties rethink if they want to jump on NX

The same issue 3rd parties had with N64. It was so pricey to have your game on cartridges and GUESS how many units you gonna sold so you wont have a significant loss over the unsold ones. ITs a big mess!

If this rumor is true then Nintendo is playing with fire here.

Excuses? Do you even know the meaning of the word excuses?

Yeah i know what it means. For whatever Bullshit Nintendo decision you have an excuse. Call it defense if you want.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts
@Pedro said:

Likely not.

Seriously bro, don't waste your time.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By AzatiS

@iandizion713 said:

@AzatiS: Bro, stop being cheap, get with the times. We gonna play with power or not?

Yeah , lets have expensive Flashes and at the same time having the worse hardware of all competition. Whos being cheap i wonder !

Reggie said " We are not about power , we are all about content " ... But power = content ! How the hell youll end up with great 3rd party support if you are far behind of THE TIMES you speaking of PLUS expensive flashes ?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts
@AzatiS said:
@Pedro said:
@AzatiS said:

The same issue 3rd parties had with N64. It was so pricey to have your game on cartridges and GUESS how many units you gonna sold so you wont have a significant loss over the unsold ones. ITs a big mess!

Yeah i know what it means. For whatever Bullshit Nintendo decision you have an excuse. Call it defense if you want.

MY PS2 and XBOX systems SCRATCHED SOME OF MY DISCS, ALL MY CARTRIDGES FROM ATARI/NES/SNES/N64 still work flawlessly though with no problems like they are from day one.

AS a consumer cartridge has been the best format for me personally and my purchased content. I think these carts will last till I die especially my atari ones...unlike my copy of Fable (XBOX) and Tony Hawk 2 (PS2) which were scratched by disc reading hardware. If these were carts they would be fine but now they skip and music skips, IF ONLY SONY AND MICROSOFT CARED ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE ME and the consumers my games would still be working like nintendo's and atari's carts. I love playing on Carts and I was passed down a crapton by family members and they all still work great can't say the same for my discs which I've had tons of issues with from skipping music and all types of crap discs weren't made to last as long as a cart imo.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#105  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@AzatiS: Power doesnt equal content though. You can deliver more content through Wii U or 3DS then PC if you try.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#106 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@AzatiS: Bro, stop being cheap, get with the times. We gonna play with power or not?

I dont believe I have ever come across a cartridge fanboy.....

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 iandizion713

@hillelslovak: I blame Sega, they raised me until Nintendo took me in.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#108 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Like the N64, will you sometimes need to blow into the cartridge to get them to work? lol :P

For old time's sake I would blow 'm even if I didn't need to.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#109 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69980 Posts

@AzatiS said:

What was being defended?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By AzatiS

@ProtossRushX said:
@AzatiS said:
@Pedro said:
@AzatiS said:

MY PS2 and XBOX systems SCRATCHED SOME OF MY DISCS, ALL MY CARTRIDGES FROM ATARI/NES/SNES/N64 still work flawlessly though with no problems like they are from day one.

AS a consumer cartridge has been the best format for me personally and my purchased content. I think these carts will last till I die especially my atari ones...unlike my copy of Fable (XBOX) and Tony Hawk 2 (PS2) which were scratched by disc reading hardware. If these were carts they would be fine but now they skip and music skips, IF ONLY SONY AND MICROSOFT CARED ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE ME and the consumers my games would still be working like nintendo's and atari's carts. I love playing on Carts and I was passed down a crapton by family members and they all still work great can't say the same for my discs which I've had tons of issues with from skipping music and all types of crap discs weren't made to last as long as a cart imo.

Yeah , ok ! Fine , say thnx to Nintendo for cartridges then but dont cry later on when you see no/very low 3rd party support once again which lead to next systems pathetic lifespan cycle once again.

I hope for another generation i wont say " I told you so " to you sheep.

So , keep defending the flash option and lets see what happens.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 AzatiS

@iandizion713 said:

@AzatiS: Power doesnt equal content though. You can deliver more content through Wii U or 3DS then PC if you try.

Actually it does. Because Power = 3rd party games and the more games = more content. Simple logic

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By AzatiS

@Pedro said:
@AzatiS said:

What was being defended?

The flash rumor.

From loading screens to " cartridges wont get scratched " etc... Flash USB or whatever drive that might be will be a NIGHTMARE for 3rd party developers and its one of main reasons why Nintendo consoles dying prematurely , tjhat of SERIOUS lack of 3rd party games.

Now , you Nintendo fans want to celebrate over this ? So be it ! But ill tell you this. Whatever NX sales , if once more they push 3rd parties away , youll end up having another Wii/Wii U situation , that of premature death/life support. If thats what you want as long as you get few Nintendo exclusives , fine by me.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By iandizion713

@AzatiS said:
@iandizion713 said:

Actually it does. Because Power = 3rd party games and the more games = more content. Simple logic

Wii had less power last gen but got more content.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#114 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Yay, faster loading times! :D

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#115 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@delta3074 said:
@AzatiS said:
@Pedro said:
@hillelslovak said:

Its a good way to make sure people dont give a crap about your console. Games are mostly digital these days. "Screw Bluray, I have my vhs!!"

Cartridge is significantly faster than blu-ray.

You know we have SD cards that can hold 512 GB now right?

you need to step outside the box a cartridge can be any size and any shape, a USB flash drive could be called a cartridge

Yeah , and you want to say that a USB of flash is cheaper to manufacture than a Blu ray Disk ?

You know that consoles dont use standard Bu-ray discs right? they use propriety discs and its actually more expensive to put the holograms at the center of the disc and game publishers have to pay royalties for those discs, considering you can pick up a 64gb USB flash drive for about 7-8 dollars they cannot cost that much to make, it may not be Cheaper than the Blu-rays( i don't know because i dont know how much royalty publishers pay for the discs, i googled it an got nowhere) but as far as manufacturing is concerned i know that Blu-rays cost about 2 dollars to make so a 8 dollar USB fash drive.

Also i was talking about SD cards not USB flash drives, theres actually a difference you know.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Pedro

@AzatiS said:
@Pedro said:
@AzatiS said:

What was being defended?

The flash rumor.

From loading screens to " cartridges wont get scratched " etc... Flash USB or whatever drive that might be will be a NIGHTMARE for 3rd party developers and its one of main reasons why Nintendo consoles dying prematurely , tjhat of SERIOUS lack of 3rd party games.

Now , you Nintendo fans want to celebrate over this ? So be it ! But ill tell you this. Whatever NX sales , if once more they push 3rd parties away , youll end up having another Wii/Wii U situation , that of premature death/life support. If thats what you want as long as you get few Nintendo exclusives , fine by me.

I think you need to reflect on your response to my initial post because you are sounding like a raving lunatic. Non of the crap you speak of has anything to do with my post.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By AzatiS

@iandizion713 said:
@AzatiS said:
@iandizion713 said:

Wii had less power last gen but got more content.

Wii died way faster than X360 and PS3 did PLUS it had serious problem content wise after 3 years , exactly like Wii U.

Wii also is the very first console in console history that despite was winning by far it went into a serious life support and to death way faster than competition. All this happened because of lack of 3rd party support which is supposing filling the gap between each big exclusive.

Dont try out of fanboyism to tell me Wii was doing great because of its content. Wii did great for entirely other reasons which even Microsoft tried to follow with X1 and look what happened.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By iandizion713

@AzatiS: Always movin them goal posts. The fact that Wii did in fact deliver more content then 360 and PS3 proves your wrong yet again, dont matter they only did it for 5 years, they did it.

Thats right, the weaker console produced more content.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Pedro

@iandizion713 said:

@AzatiS: Always movin them goal post. The fact that Wii did in fact deliver more content then 360 and PS3 proves your wrong yet again, dont matter they only did it for 5 years, they did it.

The Wii may have had the largest amount of content but that system was still garbage. It did more harm than good. All of this is besides the point you are making.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By AzatiS

@iandizion713 said:

@AzatiS: Always movin them goal post. The fact that Wii did in fact deliver more content then 360 and PS3 proves your wrong yet again, dont matter they only did it for 5 years, they did it.

Whaaaaat ?! lol ! I still remember sheep whining how their Wii ending up dust collector while they were waiting for a good title to show up ! Play your game with people that dont remember or werent around , sadly for you i was here the whole generation , i know exactly what happened.

Do you know many consoles with content and great sales die that fast ? Something was missing from Wii for gamers its mother company let it go. And that was 3rd parties. Play with fire all i care , its you youll regret it once again.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By iandizion713

@Pedro: The debate was that a more powerful console = more content, which is false.

And as you can see, they be movin the goal post again. It never stops with whiners. They gone cry you a river that runs deep.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By AzatiS

@Pedro said:
@AzatiS said:
@Pedro said:
@AzatiS said:

What was being defended?

The flash rumor.

I think you need to reflect on your response to my initial post because you are sounding like a raving lunatic. Non of the crap you speak of has anything to do with my post.

You should read your first response again. You simply defending the choice of flash drive over BD.

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

I'm a huge fan of cartridges.

I actually loved my NES/SNES/n64

I hated CD's because they could scratch, ive had several that wouldn't play I Never had any issues with my cartridges. They still work to this day, they look lovely on a shelf.

The CD's / DVD's and bluray's I own scratch and skip and they are garbage and digital is even worse I like having stuff on my shelf.

Cartridge IMO is the way to go it is future proof discs scratch, skip, break, if you go digital and the file or service you bought it from is gone your screwed.

Cartridge = with me for my entire life and can pass it on to my kids.

Disc = scratched and broken.

Digital = who the hell knows if this will stick with me forever I can't trade it I don't own it

Streaming = just kill me

Sounds like you need to take better care of your stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Carts are the best. The easiest way for tech expandability. Game development time and cost dictate game cost. There's an understanding why a game might cost more or less.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Pedro

@AzatiS said:

You should read your first response again. You simply defending the choice of flash drive over BD.

Nope, I was stating the fact that its faster than Blu-ray. That is not a defense. No sides were implied or given in that post. So all of your ranting was for nothing. You would need to find some other post to feed your animosity.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Pedro

@iandizion713 said:

@Pedro: The debate was that a more powerful console = more content, which is false.

And as you can see, they be movin the goal post again. It never stops with whiners. They gone cry you a river that runs deep.

That should not be a debate especially since the PS2 hard a significantly larger installment of games than its competitor and was the weakest of all three.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

Well Blu Rays aren't cheap either and I can't speak for the PS4. But loading times for the Xbox One were still a bit shit tbh.

Also, since we know nothing about the console, criticising Nintendo's storage medium seems out of context to me.

I don't care. I'm happy with my Wii U, so I'm going back to Nintendo now. I think Nintendo and the PC will easily cover all my gaming needs.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By AzatiS

@Pedro said:
@AzatiS said:

Nope, I was stating the fact that its faster than Blu-ray. That is not a defense. No sides were implied or given in that post. So all of your ranting was for nothing. You would need to find some other post to feed your animosity.

I know what you said. Its typical for fans to "excuse" all bad decisions. Faster than BD ! So what ? Its faster than BDs but way more pricier for 3rd parties , which 3rd party support is Nintendos weak point for generations now. You really dont want ANOTHER reason why a 3rd party developer might NOT want to come into Nintendo family !

Guys its simple , its not me that will spend money and end up with a dead console after a while , that will be you again. If you are ok with that for another generation just because youll play 4-5 of Nintendo 1st parties its fine by me. Praise flashes and bypass the problems , youll end up with Wii/Wii U situation again and then ill be able to say once again .. " I told you so" like im saying for like over a decade now ! Hohoho !

Its not like i didnt say the same things for Wii and Wii U. Even if my analysis for Wii went out of the door about its sales , i was on point in every other aspect. So i was with Wii U. Im waiting to see what is NX all about to let you know what will happen ( my opinion and prediction to be precise )

... So you talking about flashes , if this is true , is not the way to go sadly to lure in 3rd parties. Its another thorn on their way imho even if we live in an era that price wise , flash/SDs etc are more viable than ever.

I hope im wrong , you really think i hope for another dust collector after few years ? In fact thats why im so harsh with Nintendo ( along other things we can talk if you want ) and many think im a hater or something.

If only dedicated fans ( those that actually spending alot of money ) would raise their voices against every BS their favorite companies making , the outcome would be only better. Im doing this for you even if im not the one thatll spend money on Nintendo products and im supposed the hater! Am i really a one or im not eating Nintendos BS and bad decisions while i speak about them in a very blantly manner ? Anyways

We will see on NX reveal what is this all about , for now we debating rumors. IF this fail though , this might be the last Nintendo console we will ever see and imho , all of you dedicated fans youll be responsible as well.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Seems like games will cost more to manufacture. Why make the same mistake like the n64?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By AzatiS

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Well Blu Rays aren't cheap either and I can't speak for the PS4. But loading times for the Xbox One were still a bit shit tbh.

Also, since we know nothing about the console, criticising Nintendo's storage medium seems out of context to me.

I don't care. I'm happy with my Wii U, so I'm going back to Nintendo now. I think Nintendo and the PC will easily cover all my gaming needs.

Thats the problem right there im talking about !!Fine example ! You REALLY dont care enough to call out your favorite company to make things right out of fanboyism. Thats what is happening to Nintendo since N64 ( let alone many other big companies )

You shouldnt be happy about the state Wii U is the last 2 years NOR about Wii U sales , NOR about Nintendos $ losses over it , NOR about the serious lack of games aside few great 1st parties over 3-4 years lifespan , NOR about the total amount of games , NOR about variety/quantity of games , NOR about online capabilities , NOR about hardware overall that drives 3rd party away, NOR that Wii U couldnt stand as primary platform , NOR about the pricey hardware AND software when system is in a life support for years and the list goes on and on. As a dedicated fan how the hell youre happy about all those things ?

You my friend , like everyone else like you , is the reason why Nintendo consoles are in the state they are the last decade let alone are near to their permanently death.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#131  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

As a retro gamer and occasional collector, this news sounds fun. But realistically, I think it would be an asinine move UNLESS it is in fact a mobile hybrid. Yes, loading times and all that, but flash memory and the casing are both expensive as hell compared to a BD. Makes sense for a portable system, though

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#132  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

I'd be cautious about such a decision, but until we know the specs and performance of the cartridges, there's not a lot to go on.

Most of the arguments here are valid on both sides for varying kinds of cartridge, so it's pointless to argue until we know.

All I can say is that if the cartridges (or any variation of) hold any less than a Blu Ray then it will be a large mistake. And people also need to remember that cartridges are definitely not necessarily instant loading - Wipeout 2048 on Vita before it was patched took 10 (not even an exaggeration) times longer to load a race than DriveClub, even though it would be loading a fraction of the amount of data. It all depends how it's handled!

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Thats the problem right there im talking about !!Fine example ! You REALLY dont care enough to call out your favorite company to make things right out of fanboyism. Thats what is happening to Nintendo since N64 ( let alone many other big companies )

You shouldnt be happy about the state Wii U is the last 2 years NOR about Wii U sales , NOR about Nintendos $ losses over it , NOR about the serious lack of games aside few great 1st parties over 3-4 years lifespan , NOR about the total amount of games , NOR about variety/quantity of games , NOR about online capabilities , NOR about hardware overall that drives 3rd party away, NOR that Wii U couldnt stand as primary platform , NOR about the pricey hardware AND software when system is in a life support for years and the list goes on and on. As a dedicated fan how the hell youre happy about all those things ?

You my friend , like everyone else like you , is the reason why Nintendo consoles are in the state they are the last decade let alone are near to their permanently death.

Waaaay too many assumptions about me and Nintendo. I've only had a Wii U for about a week. And after the shit show that is the Xbox One, I am happy with the Wii U.

Nintendo didn't need calling out with the N64, how were they going to instantly react to such big changes and competition, and it was a great console. The GameCube on the other hand SUCKS, so they did need calling out with that. And I'm only just starting to appreciate some of the Wii gems after all this time.

As a PC gamer, Nintendo home consoles are fine for me. They fill a gap in my gaming needs, that's it. When they want to wake up and make changes, fine, great, but I'm just done complaining about it for now. When I say I'm happy with the Wii u, I mean, I'm happy with the console for me. I'm well aware of the problems. But what do you want, a petition? What is going to make them take notice.

Favourite company of mine, Nintendo are not. But what's left, I'm done with Xbox and both Xbox and Playstation are going to start banging out new consoles every two or so years, and I'm not into that nonsense. Plus a great deal of the games on those consoles are also on the PC.

No, Nintendo are the reason Nintendo are like Nintendo lol. Don't blame me for their business. That's actually the opposite of fanboyism, I'm not up in Nintendo's business, just enjoying their games right now. But I never said they didn't have a ways to go.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Cartridges would be a fine alternative to DVD's. They should easily be able to get more than enough storage in a memory stick format. I love the idea of a true plug-n-play (no bullshit installs) console. Now if nintendo just manages to not half-ass the rest of the system and make yet another weak console I'll take notice!

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 AzatiS

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@AzatiS said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Waaaay too many assumptions about me and Nintendo. I've only had a Wii U for about a week. And after the shit show that is the Xbox One, I am happy with the Wii U.

Nintendo didn't need calling out with the N64, how were they going to instantly react to such big changes and competition, and it was a great console. The GameCube on the other hand SUCKS, so they did need calling out with that. And I'm only just starting to appreciate some of the Wii gems after all this time.

As a PC gamer, Nintendo home consoles are fine for me. They fill a gap in my gaming needs, that's it. When they want to wake up and make changes, fine, great, but I'm just done complaining about it for now. When I say I'm happy with the Wii u, I mean, I'm happy with the console for me. I'm well aware of the problems. But what do you want, a petition? What is going to make them take notice.

Favourite company of mine, Nintendo are not. But what's left, I'm done with Xbox and both Xbox and Playstation are going to start banging out new consoles every two or so years, and I'm not into that nonsense. Plus a great deal of the games on those consoles are also on the PC.

No, Nintendo are the reason Nintendo are like Nintendo lol. Don't blame me for their business. That's actually the opposite of fanboyism, I'm not up in Nintendo's business, just enjoying their games right now. But I never said they didn't have a ways to go.

Dont take it personally. If you are happy with what you get , its fine. But to say you dont care is other thing.

Nintendos N64 was the start of downfall. A fine example of what im talking about. N64 cartridge choice led to a BIG LOSS of classic exclusives to competition AND N64 architecture was a nightmare for developers which made things even more complicated. N64 sales overall also were decent at best. If we add every N64 problem N64 overall was far from great.

Now if you are not fan and you having Wii U only to fill a gap , thats fine. Thats all Wii U is in the first place. Even Ex-CEO himself called it a secondary platform , nuff said.

I agree with PS/Xbox 3 year cycle feel nonsense to alot of people. In the meantime PC gamers will get benefits from this since all this RAW power will get in use from 3rd parties.

I wont blame you for Nintendo since you are not a dedicated fan , i thought you were. But i blame the Nintendo fans overall for Nintendos current console state.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#136 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

If they can get cartridges that don't need patches, I will be impressed.

Anyone recall any recent game that did not need to be patched?

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#137  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9735 Posts

RE7 has a cartridge patent

Loading Video...

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

what's with all these people scratching the hell out of their discs? Are you stacking them face down on your garage floor? Using them as improvised air hockey pucks? Kids'll do it, I suppose - but otherwise I can't help but picture a rat's nest full of dust-filled consoles gasping for air, comic books smeared with queso and mayo juice stacked up against the wall, and discs just laying face down everywhere like some new-age artist's take on a recycled-consumer-goods floor covering. You folks make it sound like a miracle that I have working CD-ROM games from 1992

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#139 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

@xantufrog: Honestly I never understood how people scratch game discs so much. I have friends that had to purchase the same game 2-3 times because the disc kept getting scratched. Meanwhile all of my games my discs are basically in mint condition unless I let someone borrow them.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#140  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Cartridge/SD card has it's advantages, I think it would be cool from a user perspective. But for games that are 32GB and 64GB costs could be a real problem. Probably isn't a big deal for 4GB or 8GB handheld games. The problem is that a blu-ray disc is 50GB (or up to 100GB for the new UHD format)... and it's a flat cost regardless of the size of the game.

That still won't be true for catridges. The cost of the cartridge goes up as the game gets bigger. The cost *might* be similar to blu-ray on the smallest sized game carts, but I would have to think the differences could be at least a few dollars per unit for the larger sizes. That might not sound like a big deal, but it is a big deal for mass production. Major AAA developers will surely think twice about this.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#141 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9735 Posts
@Zlurodirom said:

@xantufrog: Honestly I never understood how people scratch game discs so much. I have friends that had to purchase the same game 2-3 times because the disc kept getting scratched. Meanwhile all of my games my discs are basically in mint condition unless I let someone borrow them.

I'm glad that I learned how to take care of discs back in the PS1 days. Keeping them in their case is key when they're not being used. You have to avoid getting finger prints on them too.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#142 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

@GameboyTroy: yeah, I had friends that would just carelessly stack the discs on top of each other, or leave them lying around. I couldn't believe it. Though these are the same kids that would leave their gameboys outside the night before it snows. But still, take care of your things!

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#143  Edited By doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts
@AzatiS said:

Nintendos N64 was the start of downfall. A fine example of what im talking about. N64 cartridge choice led to a BIG LOSS of classic exclusives to competition AND N64 architecture was a nightmare for developers which made things even more complicated. N64 sales overall also were decent at best. If we add every N64 problem N64 overall was far from great.

I'd like to add the fact that Nintendo's own controllers sucked. The analogue sticks always got ruined after a short while. It's a rare occasion when third party controllers beat the first party controllers for a system, but on the N64 that's how it was.

There were also no decent games coming out in certain genres. Classic shmups, beat'em ups and RPG:s were almost completely absent. Sports games, racing games, first person shooters and 3D platformers though, it had. Apart from a handful or two of decent games the system was filled with mediocre games and shovelware.

In Japan, even the Sega Saturn outsold the N64 (it wasn't such a bad console for the japanese market at all; it was the american and european arms of Sega who screwed it up for the Saturn in those markets).

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I just want to say I predicted along the lines of this over a year ago.

Awwww yeah.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

If the NX will be a hybrid console I can understand the move to carts. You buy one game (cart) and you're able to insert it in to the home console or handheld. badda bing badda boom

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By AzatiS

@doubutsuteki said:
@AzatiS said:

I'd like to add the fact that Nintendo's own controllers sucked. The analogue sticks always got ruined after a short while. It's a rare occasion when third party controllers beat the first party controllers for a system, but on the N64 that's how it was.

There were also no decent games coming out in certain genres. Classic shmups, beat'em ups and RPG:s were almost completely absent. Sports games, racing games, first person shooters and 3D platformers though, it had. Apart from a handful or two of decent games the system was filled with mediocre games and shovelware.

In Japan, even the Sega Saturn outsold the N64 (it wasn't such a bad console for the japanese market at all; it was the american and european arms of Sega who screwed it up for the Saturn in those markets).

Yeah , i agree !

Also it was a single game that saved N64 from a tragedy sales wise , SMASH BROS , which was a huge system seller in US.

All in all , Nintendo fans thinking N64 as great because of those 3-4 gems like Mario 64 , Zelda etc. But aside those undoubtedly diamonds for their era , N64 failed in every other way. Total sales , hardware choices , price , loss of serious 3rd party support to epic exclusive losses. Also in N64 era we started having this " We go into life support early " and all that while SNES was a success which led to a huge fanbase out there ready to jump on N64 which never happened.

So , great ? Naaaaaaaah .

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Pedro

@AzatiS said:

I know what you said. Its typical for fans to "excuse" all bad decisions. Faster than BD ! So what ? Its faster than BDs but way more pricier for 3rd parties , which 3rd party support is Nintendos weak point for generations now. You really dont want ANOTHER reason why a 3rd party developer might NOT want to come into Nintendo family !

Guys its simple , its not me that will spend money and end up with a dead console after a while , that will be you again. If you are ok with that for another generation just because youll play 4-5 of Nintendo 1st parties its fine by me. Praise flashes and bypass the problems , youll end up with Wii/Wii U situation again and then ill be able to say once again .. " I told you so" like im saying for like over a decade now ! Hohoho !

Its not like i didnt say the same things for Wii and Wii U. Even if my analysis for Wii went out of the door about its sales , i was on point in every other aspect. So i was with Wii U. Im waiting to see what is NX all about to let you know what will happen ( my opinion and prediction to be precise )

... So you talking about flashes , if this is true , is not the way to go sadly to lure in 3rd parties. Its another thorn on their way imho even if we live in an era that price wise , flash/SDs etc are more viable than ever.

I hope im wrong , you really think i hope for another dust collector after few years ? In fact thats why im so harsh with Nintendo ( along other things we can talk if you want ) and many think im a hater or something.

If only dedicated fans ( those that actually spending alot of money ) would raise their voices against every BS their favorite companies making , the outcome would be only better. Im doing this for you even if im not the one thatll spend money on Nintendo products and im supposed the hater! Am i really a one or im not eating Nintendos BS and bad decisions while i speak about them in a very blantly manner ? Anyways

We will see on NX reveal what is this all about , for now we debating rumors. IF this fail though , this might be the last Nintendo console we will ever see and imho , all of you dedicated fans youll be responsible as well.

Seems like you are hell bent on creating something out of nothing. Ah well.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By AzatiS

@Pedro: You on the other hand , bypassing Nintendos current console situation AND what negative impact a USB/Flash/SD might have for NX where it hurts most , 3rd party games that is , to tell us how faster it is than BDs or other fans talking about how USBs aint getting scratched like Discs do etc ..

Like Nintendo with NX , needs to do things more complicated for 3rd party developers than they are for the sake of SPEED and SCRATCHING.

Keep defending Nintendo choices and you might see Mario and Zelda on PS5 if thats what you want or having another 3 years old cycle console etc ... Its up to you fans , let everything pass as a good thing and lets see what happens for a 5th generation in a row

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#149 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

If the NX is going to be close to the PS Neo in terms of power I'm OK with it being cartridge based. The price difference between a disk or a cartridge game will be what Nintendo wants it to be, they can eat a big part of that difference and still make money. Plus, digital is growing, and people will always have that option.

This is just a rumor, but in the abstract, I'll take the disadvantages of cartridges over the ones from disks. Over a year ago I've said I would be very happy with a modern cartridge console... so ye, I can't complain, hopefully I will get exactly what I've asked for.

As for the risk of this decision shortening the console cycle... I mean... lol. Just take a look at the X1 and PS4, one could even argue that PS4's life cycle is going to be shorter than the Wii U with the Neo just around the corner.

Nintendo doesn't need to have the most powerful console, just needs to be on par, and they need to make sure that whatever physical format they choose doesn't affect games performance/content wise. So, while I do accept the possibility that they may go for a slow, low-capacity format, I think it's reasonable to think that they wont. In fact, it is possible that their cartridges will have much higher access speeds and similar capacity to a blu-ray, for a small (if any) price difference. I don't know why is the console crowd so defensive towards any kind of change, sometimes it seems to me like they want to protect the status quo just so their current machine/brand of choice remains on top.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

September can't come soon enough. :P