Miyamoto: "Star Fox: 0 is a fun game if you're an ignorant child."

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

During this years E3 Game Informer interviewed Miyamoto and asked him what he thought was the most underrated Wii U game and this was his answer.

“I think personally Star Fox is a really fun game if you sit down and play it. I think, for example, an elementary school kid who plays it without any preconceived notions, I think it would be really fun for them. I think it’s also really, really fun for siblings to play it together."

This is the kind of mindset that is going on inside Nintendo. They seem to have contempt with well informed gamers.

Full interview.

http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/blogs/generic/post.aspx?WeblogApp=news&y=2016&m=07&d=03&WeblogPostName=miyamoto-names-his-most-underrated-wii-u-game&GroupKeys=

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Not seeing the issue.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By emgesp
@uninspiredcup said:

Not seeing the issue.

He's being bitter because well informed gamers didn't embrace the game like an ignorant child could possibly have.

He's trying to put most of the blame on the players and not his design flaws for its lackluster sales.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I wonder how many people will respond to just the thread Title without reading the OP.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

I feel like you're inferring too much.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

He gave an example on who could enjoy Star Fox Zero. How you got "contempt for well-informed gamers" from that is beyond me.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

Thread title is a bit click-bait. He's just saying people who go in without preconceived notions of of what the game should be, would be more likely to get into it. I haven't played the game, so I can't really comment on whether or not I agree.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By emgesp

@mmmwksil said:

He gave an example on who could enjoy Star Fox Zero. How you got "contempt for well-informed gamers" from that is beyond me.

Reading between the lines he seems bitter towards well informed gamers who rightfully bashed the game.

I mean if the only way your game is good is if ignorant children play it then that says a lot.

@judaspete said:

Thread title is a bit click-bait. He's just saying people who go in without preconceived notions of of what the game should be, would be more likely to get into it. I haven't played the game, so I can't really comment on whether or not I agree.

How is it click-bait. I'm just not beating around the bush to what he's trying to say. It's blatantly obvious that he's mad at the fact that core gamers didn't enjoy his game and now has to rely on ignorant children to try and justify the poor control scheme. "It's such a good game if you're a child who hasn't had much experience with video games."

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 uninspiredcup

Miyamoto is a nice man.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

It's not quite as bad as you put it, but it's the gaming equivalent of "people didn't get it". Like brah you made a shitty game, just cut it out and move on.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By emgesp

@jg4xchamp said:

It's not quite as bad as you put it, but it's the gaming equivalent of "people didn't get it". Like brah you made a shitty game, just cut it out and move on.

Exactly, my main issue is he won't take personal responsibility for the game's design flaws. He's putting all the blame on us for not digging it. Also, there is no evidence which shows that children would or wouldn't like the game more than any other demographic so I call BS once again.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Not seeing the issue.

You're probably still in elementary school. Underage User Alert^

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mmmwksil

@emgesp:
Seems to me the only way you could infer bitterness from that statement is if you were there when he said it, and thus gauged his tone when he said it. And since you likely weren't there, there is nothing "between the lines". He answered a question he was asked.

If he had said "I don't agree with the scores given to Star Fox Zero", then you'd be onto something.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By emgesp

@mmmwksil said:

@emgesp:

Seems to me the only way you could infer bitterness from that statement is if you were there when he said it, and thus gauged his tone when he said it. And since you likely weren't there, there is nothing "between the lines". He answered a question he was asked.

If he had said "I don't agree with the scores given to Star Fox Zero", then you'd be onto something.

Of course he doesn't agree with the scores given to SF:Zero. He's a proud man who's been placed on a pedestal for 30 some years now. You really think he looked at Metacritic score and said, "Yeah that seems fair."?

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mmmwksil

@emgesp:
Humor me. Since I don't care enough to follow what other people think of games, share with me an instance where he outright stated he disagreed with review scores.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

At least Nintendo's still talking about kids all these years later.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 emgesp

@mmmwksil said:

@emgesp:

Humor me. Since I don't care enough to follow what other people think of games, share with me an instance where he outright stated he disagreed with review scores.

Are you kidding me? Do you honestly believe he expected a Metacritic score in the 60's?

He's stated on multiple occassions that he thinks people didn't give the control scheme enough time to set in and that is why the reviews didn't show the game in the most positive light.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mmmwksil

@emgesp:
What part of "I don't care enough to follow what other people think of games" did you not understand?

And of course he didn't expect the game to score low across the board. No developer does. No sane one, anyway. I just asked for you to share a specific instance to support your case.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By emgesp

@mmmwksil said:

@emgesp:

What part of "I don't care enough to follow what other people think of games" did you not understand?

And of course he didn't expect the game to score low across the board. No developer does. No sane one, anyway. I just asked for you to share a specific instance to support your case.

Is it a coincidence that Miyamoto's choice for the most underrated Wii U game is a game he personally worked on that wasn't well received by the public?

Then you add the above quote and its pretty obvious that he thinks jaded gamers didn't give the game a chance because of its "unique" control scheme.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mmmwksil

@emgesp:
That's still circumstantial.

What if he just had Star Fox on the brain?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

In response to this Miyamoto added, “Pikmin is the kind of game that you have to play maybe three times to get the full effect, but you know, people don’t have a lot of time, so they just clear the stage and just move on. Games are becoming more of a consumable product, and it’s getting harder and harder for people to let a game to sink in and enjoy leisurely.”

Don't agree.. like with anything you make time for it if you really want it. No time just means you are bad with time management. :P

Their go to excuse when a game/product fail to sell from Nintendo..they (consumers) didn't understand. :P

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

He didn't even came close to say what TC is trying to imply in this shameful click bait thread.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By emgesp

@madsnakehhh said:

He didn't even came close to say what TC is trying to imply in this shameful click bait thread.

Me: "SF:0 is fun if you're an ignorant child."

Miyamoto: "An elementary school child who plays it without preconceived notions, I think it would be really fun for them.

How do the too differ might I ask? In my mind if you don't have some kind of preconceived notions about something then you're ignorant to what it is. Anyways, I doubt I would have been able to write that full quote in the thread title, so its not fair to sling mud my way for shortening it.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Star Fox Zero is amazing. Wont be long before its metacritic finally hits green. I agree its most underrated Wii U game now, it took Kirby and the Rainbow Curse's spot.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

That's not what he said.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 emgesp

@AznbkdX said:

That's not what he said.

How is it any different, please explain.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@judaspete said:

That's a good way to put it and I could understand that somewhat, but even so, I think even if you approach SFZ with an open mindset unperverted by preconceived notions, it still is plagued by an overly unintuitive, obtrusive, and convoluted control scheme that does it no favors. It's poorly done, period, and no relativistic argument or position can change that.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

There has only been one good Star Fox game ever. I can't get why people still care about the franchise.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By emgesp

@MirkoS77 said:
@judaspete said:

That's a good way to put it and I could understand that somewhat, but even so, I think even if you approach SFZ with an open mindset unperverted by preconceived notions, it still is plagued by an overly unintuitive, obtrusive, and convoluted control scheme that does it no favors. It's poorly done, period, and no relativistic argument or position can change that.

My question is why did he personally single out children for potentially liking this game over other age demographics? As if a complicated control scheme would appeal to a kid more than other gamers. If anything I've personally seen the opposite to be true.

Todays kids are playing on iPads with incredibly simple user interfaces, so I find it funny that Miyamoto thinks kids would get into Star Fox's ridiculously over complicated control scheme. He is so out of the touch it isn't even funny.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@emgesp said:
@AznbkdX said:

That's not what he said.

There is obviously a strong tonal difference between the two.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

@emgesp: Well if we are to be very specific he literally didn't say that.

As for the difference... their barely is one and in some cases their is none. A preconceived notion is an opinion thought up about something without any real supporting facts. Normally of ill intent, but usually it's to broadcast yourself in some way. Ignorance normally is a step behind that in which you just don't have the knowledge to say anything remotely fluent about something. It's used as a catch all in a lot of literacy as far as I can tell.

In the end it's really just the wording of the OP that gets people riled up more than anything, including myself apparently. Implications and all that. I guess that makes you a good System Warrior?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 emgesp

@JangoWuzHere said:
@emgesp said:
@AznbkdX said:

That's not what he said.

Sure, but that's how I personally took his quote. "You guys don't get it because you're jaded gamers, but innocent kids would love this game."

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

"well-informed gamers" ? You mean idiotic fanboys who hate on everything? Yep, this further confirms that System War mentality is the exact opposite of the real world.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@emgesp said:
@JangoWuzHere said:
@emgesp said:
@AznbkdX said:

That's not what he said.

Sure, but that's how I personally took his quote. "You guys don't get it because you're jaded gamers, but innocent kids would love this game."

How you managed to reach that interpretation from the original quote is completely beyond me. He did not imply any ill will towards older gamers. He's just saying that newer kids who were never exposed to Star Fox will likely have a lot fun with it. They don't have years of gaming experience and expectations for a new Star Fox sequel.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By emgesp

@JangoWuzHere said:
@emgesp said:
@JangoWuzHere said:
@emgesp said:

How you managed to reach that interpretation from the original quote is completely beyond me. He did not imply any ill will towards older gamers. He's just saying that newer kids who were never exposed to Star Fox will likely have a lot fun with it. They don't have years of gaming experience and expectations for a new Star Fox sequel.

Newer gamers means that they can't be jaded since they have had very little experience with that form of entertainment. How could a young kid have preconceived notions about something that he/she has had very little to no experience with?

It goes without saying that children are the very definition of ignorance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#37 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I can agree with him. As someone who never played a Star Fox game before I enjoyed it for what it was.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By emgesp

@Bigboi500 said:

"well-informed gamers" ? You mean idiotic fanboys who hate on everything? Yep, this further confirms that System War mentality is the exact opposite of the real world.

Well, you'd have to be a somewhat well informed gamer to even know that Star Fox 0 even exists let alone know about its control scheme.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

We get it. You don't like Nintendo.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By emgesp

@PsychoLemons said:

While its true that I dislike modern Nintendo, at the same time I absolutely love old school Nintendo.

Anyways, don't see how this is relevant to the topic on hand.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bigboi500

@emgesp said:
@Bigboi500 said:

Well, you'd have to be a somewhat well informed gamer to even know that Star Fox 0 even exists let alone know about its control scheme.

What's going on here is you are projecting your bias and fanboyisms on to others. There is no universal consensus that says SFZ is a bad game. Half of the people who hate on it have never even owned a Wii U, and some are just being gamers, which means being shitty.

Some people really love it. I personally think it's just ok and more of the same, but I'm fine with that. Who's really to say one way or the other? Claiming everyone who is "well-informed" hates it is nothing more than the typical fanboy bullshit we're all used to reading here, nothing more.

Your threads are straight up creepy, dude. And so is the way your mind works, if you are not actually trolling us all with this nonsense.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

@emgesp said:
@PsychoLemons said:

While its true that I dislike modern Nintendo, at the same time I absolutely love old school Nintendo.

Anyways, don't see how this is relevant to the topic on hand.

If you knew SN1PER's threads, then you should know.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bigboi500

This dude has to be a alt troll. He posts exactly like brah4ever, and they are constantly quoting and agreeing with each other, and I'd wager he is also techhog. They all post in the exact same passive-aggressive nature of disingenuous flare.

I've never seen so much hate for a single game in the history of my time here. Not even Ryse, Knack, or The Order have received as much hate as Star Fox Zero, and I can't even understand why. I've never seen anyone hype the game in the first place, unlike those other titles. It's a campaign of attacks on Nintendo by someone with a weird obsession with them. I mean, who hates on a game and a company this strongly? It's like this guy is having a personal war with a freaking game company, for God knows why. Doesn't he have anything better to do?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By emgesp

@Bigboi500 said:

What's going on here is you are projecting your bias and fanboyisms on to others. There is no universal consensus that says SFZ is a bad game. Half of the people who hate on it have never even owned a Wii U, and some are just being gamers, which means being shitty.

Some people really love it. I personally think it's just ok and more of the same, but I'm fine with that. Who's really to say one way or the other? Claiming everyone who is "well-informed" hates it is nothing more than the typical fanboy bullshit we're all used to reading here, nothing more.

Your threads are straight up creepy, dude. And so is the way your mind works, if you are not actually trolling us all with this nonsense.

Fanboyism? The last thing I wanted was SF:Zero to turn out the way it did. It was going to be the game that got me to buy a Wii U, but unfortunately Miyamoto had to shoe horn unnecessarily complicated controls just to justify the games existence. I don't think you quite understand my love for the series. As you can see below I still have my copy of Star Fox 64 that I still highly enjoy to this day even after beating the game over 20 times at least.

Also, what the hell is creepy about my threads?

Loading Video...
Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

So this should be proof somewhat that Nintendo does in fact gear their games towards kids.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By uninspiredcup

@EvanTheGamer said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Not seeing the issue.

You're probably still in elementary school. Underage User Alert^

Still watch cartoons for sure.

New Samurai Jack coming, excitement.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By emgesp

@Bigboi500 said:

This dude has to be a alt troll. He posts exactly like brah4ever, and they are constantly quoting and agreeing with each other, and I'd wager he is also techhog. They all post in the exact same passive-aggressive nature of disingenuous flare.

I've never seen so much hate for a single game in the history of my time here. Not even Ryse, Knack, or The Order have received as much hate as Star Fox Zero, and I can't even understand why. I've never seen anyone hype the game in the first place, unlike those other titles. It's a campaign of attacks on Nintendo by someone with a weird obsession with them. I mean, who hates on a game and a company this strongly? It's like this guy is having a personal war with a freaking game company, for God knows why. Doesn't he have anything better to do?

I've been here since 2004 smart guy. I don't need a freaking alt account. You just can't seem to handle people who are very passionate about their opinions. I say if you're going to have an opinion, especially one that potentially will alienate you from others then you better own it and accept the consequences. I don't expect anyone to agree with my opinions and frankly I don't care who agrees or doesn't agree with me.

Lastly, this is system wars and the whole point of this forum is to put out your opinions about games, consoles and even companies like Nintendo, this forum wasn't created to please everyone and tell them how every game is fantastic in its own special way. If you want people to tell you only things you want to hear then system wars is not the place for you.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bigboi500

@mr_huggles_dog said:

So this should be proof somewhat that Nintendo does in fact gear their games towards kids.

This isn't some new enlightenment. Nintendo has always made games with children in mind. The reason they are so widely respected by veteran gamers is because they are also accommodating to adults as well.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@judaspete said:

The thing is the apologists have convinced themselves the control scheme is the lone problem, and not how creatively dull the overall experience as well.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Yeah, Miyamoto is an idiot and Nintendo hates well informed gamers. Nintendo might actually be the worst gaming company ever in existence. You happy now?