Microsoft: Why taking away RAM from developers is good for them

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

So many innovations from Microsoft :cool: This divided RAM creates a fantastic environment for devs who think outside the boxRR360DD

check around 220 mark, it looks like all apps will be available when playing a game.    twitchtv app with people chatting while you play killer instinct....    Sony be nervous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y46XsAH1WJ8

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts
dat 3.0GB reserved for the PS4 OS still hurting :cool: #STAYMADTessellation
Any link that isn't a rumor?
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
[QUOTE="Tessellation"]dat 3.0GB reserved for the PS4 OS still hurting :cool: #STAYMADChutebox

DF :cool: they have sony documentation to back their article up.
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 XBOunity

cboat is claiming something is getting cancelled by microsoft, i wonder what it could be, hopefully its not any of this stuff, because if it is the IPTV, or all the stuff they been touting, thats it, im cancelling preorder.  

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
lol lems & ms.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Chutebox
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Tessellation"]dat 3.0GB reserved for the PS4 OS still hurting :cool: #STAYMADTessellation

Waiting.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Tessellation
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] Any link that isn't a rumor?

Waiting.

DC :cool:
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Chutebox
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Tessellation"] DF :cool: they have sony documentation to back their article up.

Waiting.

Still waiting.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#59 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
Remember when cows used to love the arguments for split RAM, back when Sony did it with the PS3?charizard1605
They make this place so funny. They bitch about MS flip flopping, but do it themselves. We all do it! The holding others to standards none of us live up to cracks me up. I love my games on ps3/360 and they had 512 Mb of ram. I think I'll be ok with 5 gb of ram. Even, gasp DDR ram.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Tessellation
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] Waiting.

Still waiting.

keep waiting for what fits your agenda better then :cool:
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Chutebox
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Tessellation"] DC :cool:

Still waiting.

What agenda? I couldn't care less. I just want to see if you got something to back up these claims. But you don't I'm guessing?
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Tessellation
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] Still waiting.

What agenda? I couldn't care less. I just want to see if you got something to back up these claims. But you don't I'm guessing?

i told you DF,or you expect me to find the link for you.
mprince131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63 mprince131
Member since 2006 • 406 Posts

This thread and its title is what happens when idiots paraphrase...

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Tessellation"] keep waiting for what fits your agenda better then :cool:Tessellation

I already found it and it's a rumor. Again, any factual evidence with links you got or gonna spout the same BS?

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Tessellation

[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] What agenda? I couldn't care less. I just want to see if you got something to back up these claims. But you don't I'm guessing?Chutebox

I already found it and it's a rumor. Again, any factual evidence with links you got or gonna spout the same BS?

how is a rumor when the documentation was provided by developers close to Sony ? or the fact that sony didn't deny their numbers but made a comment only about the RAM flexibility :cool:
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Remember when cows used to love the arguments for split RAM, back when Sony did it with the PS3?charizard1605

I don't remember that. Split RAM was one of the worst things Sony ever did with the PS4, no idea why Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to do it after every dev complained last gen.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="Tessellation"] i told you DF,or you expect me to find the link for you.Tessellation

how is a rumor when the documentation was provided by developers close to Sony ? or the fact that sony didn't deny their numbers but made a comment only about the RAM flexibility :cool:

It wasn't confirmed by Sony and a developer has called BS on it. Rumor.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Tessellation

[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] I already found it and it's a rumor. Again, any factual evidence with links you got or gonna spout the same BS?

Chutebox

UPDATE #2: Sony has issued a statement: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory they are not denying DF numbers,but believing to be rumor makes you feel better? go for it,and that developer that blocks people on twitter when ask to prove DF wrong if he believes to be right? :cool:
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Chutebox
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="Tessellation"] how is a rumor when the documentation was provided by developers close to Sony ? or the fact that sony didn't deny their numbers but made a comment only about the RAM flexibility :cool:Tessellation

UPDATE #2: Sony has issued a statement: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory they are not denying DF numbers,but believing to be rumor makes you feel better? go for it,and that developer that blocks people on twitter when ask to prove DF wrong if he believes to be right? :cool:

They just said they're not commenting on it. That makes it fact in what world? I know you're stupid, but until this is confirmed, it's a rumor. Let me know where I lost you and I'll help.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Tessellation
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] It wasn't confirmed by Sony and a developer has called BS on it. Rumor.Chutebox

They just said they're not commenting on it. That makes it fact in what world? I know you're stupid, but until this is confirmed, it's a rumor. Let me know where I lost you and I'll help.

insults after proven wrong? keep grasping :cool: i know it hurts but is just RAM bro.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Chutebox
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Tessellation"] UPDATE #2: Sony has issued a statement: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory they are not denying DF numbers,but believing to be rumor makes you feel better? go for it,and that developer that blocks people on twitter when ask to prove DF wrong if he believes to be right? :cool:

insults after proven wrong? keep grasping :cool: i know it hurts but is just RAM bro.

So you still don't know what facts are? Ok.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Tessellation
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] They just said they're not commenting on it. That makes it fact in what world? I know you're stupid, but until this is confirmed, it's a rumor. Let me know where I lost you and I'll help.

you keep telling yourself is a rumor? :cool:
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Chutebox
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Tessellation"] insults after proven wrong? keep grasping :cool: i know it hurts but is just RAM bro.

Don't need to tell myself anything. That's what the info does. When it's confirmed I'll be the first to laugh at it (even though 4 is much more than enough). Keeping on keeping on though pal!
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Tessellation
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] So you still don't know what facts are? Ok.

Don't need to tell myself anything. That's what the info does. When it's confirmed I'll be the first to laugh at it (even though 4 is much more than enough). Keeping on keeping on though pal!

dem tears :cool:
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 XBOunity

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Tessellation"] you keep telling yourself is a rumor? :cool: Tessellation

chutes a Sony fanboy....    who was the dev who confirmed 6 gigs???   the retrocity guy?

TheRatedD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 TheRatedD
Member since 2013 • 28 Posts
MICRO$OFT KEEP MAKING POOR DECISIONS, AND THEY WONDER WHY EVERYONE HATES THEM. I SWEAR, ANYONE THAT BUYS AN XBOX ONE IS A COMPLETE MORON.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts
[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Still a smaller OS than the PS4's lame-looking one. Neither should be this big, it's ridiculous.

GDDR5>>>>>>>>>>>> ddr3 sony does everything better for 100 less

eSRAM + Move Engines + Tiling Hardware + LZ Compression hardware + DDR3 > GDDR5 :P

All that extra hardware just to compete with a couple banks of GDDR5... Sad when you really think about it.
ZoomZoom2490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 ZoomZoom2490
Member since 2008 • 3943 Posts

Wii U and X1 are sharing the same exact memory setup, dont fall for the hype Xbros:lol:

Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#79 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

[QUOTE="SambaLele"]

[QUOTE="GravityX"]

In other words. MS had a plan from the beginning. And intelligently allocated RAM for the OS and other applications from the get go. While Sony is trying to figure it out as they go. Cool.

GravityX

So, from a MS statement about their own product you get a conclusion about the competition's plans. Great reasoning, you're a very logical person!

Well, MS did come out from the beginning and lay out their plan for RAM usage. While Sony on the other hand seems to still be figuring it out. First it was 7, than 4.5, than 5.5, than 5 and now I think were back to 6. And SW dictates I take a jab at Sony.

Thats because its RUMOR you idiot. Sony hasn't said anything about it other than there will be "flexible" ram usage.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] Don't need to tell myself anything. That's what the info does. When it's confirmed I'll be the first to laugh at it (even though 4 is much more than enough). Keeping on keeping on though pal! XBOunity

chutes a Sony fanboy....    who was the dev who confirmed 6 gigs???   the retrocity guy?

Only people to ever call me a sony fanboy are lemmings. Wonder why...
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Netherscourge
Look folks... They're both x86 systems. They're both going to provide between 4.5 and 5.5 more GBs than the 360 or the PS3. They're both rocking 8core CPUs. They both rocking Blu-Ray drives. Just buy whichever one has your favorites exclusives on it and play it! :)
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Chutebox
[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]Look folks... They're both x86 systems. They're both going to provide between 4.5 and 5.5 more GBs than the 360 or the PS3. They're both rocking 8core CPUs. They both rocking Blu-Ray drives. Just buy whichever one has your favorites exclusives on it and play it! :)

Blasphemy
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Tessellation

[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] Don't need to tell myself anything. That's what the info does. When it's confirmed I'll be the first to laugh at it (even though 4 is much more than enough). Keeping on keeping on though pal! XBOunity

yeah the one blocking people on twitter when he is called out to prove DF wrong :lol:
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Netherscourge
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Netherscourge"]Look folks... They're both x86 systems. They're both going to provide between 4.5 and 5.5 more GBs than the 360 or the PS3. They're both rocking 8core CPUs. They both rocking Blu-Ray drives. Just buy whichever one has your favorites exclusives on it and play it! :)

Blasphemy

I see a future where one day we will all be friends and hold hands as we watch system wars burn away into ashes. Sadly, that day is not today. Or tomorrow. Probably not next week either. But one day!!!!
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 XBOunity

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

[QUOTE="Tessellation"] dem tears :cool: Tessellation

yeah the one blocking people on twitter when he is called out to prove DF wrong :lol:

and the thuway who is a complete sony fanboy who should be banned at neogaf once the downclock theory that he was piping is defunked when xbo official specs come out next month.    cows really are the worst...

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#86 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

fuk that. i could care less for social media. i think theres too much integration as it is already, i dont need more. having apps wont make games better....so give the game makers the tools to make great games

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#87 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

It's better because it would just be a bottleneck for the developers to utilizing more than 4GB of ram for the games.

The hardware is not powerful enough to utitlizing that much ram for games, so reserving it for the OS is a smart idea since Xbox One and PS4 are both using a new OS and kernel that will require much more ram to bring in new apps and software. 

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 XBOunity

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

[QUOTE="Tessellation"] dem tears :cool: Chutebox

maybe because you are....  

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="XBOunity"]

XBOunity

maybe because you are....  

Whoosh
Benny_Blakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90 Benny_Blakk
Member since 2007 • 910 Posts

Still a smaller OS than the PS4's lame-looking one. Neither should be this big, it's ridiculous.Blabadon
How do you figure the OS on XBone is smaller than PS4's? Alot of information released suggests otherwise. They've already publicly emphasized their strategy on multitasking, apps, TV, etc.  Why else are they "reserving" a greater amount of RAM for their OS?

http://www.oxm.co.uk/59259/microsoft-xbox-ones-windows-8-partition-could-be-used-for-game-companion-apps/

Benny_Blakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Benny_Blakk

[QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Still a smaller OS than the PS4's lame-looking one. Neither should be this big, it's ridiculous.superclocked

eSRAM + Move Engines + Tiling Hardware + LZ Compression hardware + DDR3 > GDDR5 :P

LMAO  So convoluted trumps streamlined?  Remember those "additionals" were necessary on MS part as a means to compete with GDDR5 because they already committed to DDR3 and changing the type of RAM would mean changing the entire motherboard. It's probably too late in the game to do that.

We had discussed this before, in case if you've forgotten. And I'll reiterate that the developers most likely will end up mastering this system. It's just unneccessary aditional "footwork".

ayoox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 ayoox1
Member since 2010 • 197 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Still a smaller OS than the PS4's lame-looking one. Neither should be this big, it's ridiculous.Benny_Blakk

How do you figure the OS on XBone is smaller than PS4's? Alot of information released suggests otherwise. They've already publicly emphasized their strategy on multitasking, apps, TV, etc.  Why else are they "reserving" a greater amount of RAM for their OS?

http://www.oxm.co.uk/59259/microsoft-xbox-ones-windows-8-partition-could-be-used-for-game-companion-apps/

butthurt cow :lol: 3.5 gb ram for Sony PS4 os, 3 gb ram for xbox one os, fail
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
[QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Still a smaller OS than the PS4's lame-looking one. Neither should be this big, it's ridiculous.

Except their online features and security. Or move. Or eyetoy. Or controller rumble features. Or digital game sharing. Hardware wise they did ok, but not in every aspect.
Benny_Blakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Benny_Blakk

In other words. MS had a plan from the beginning. And intelligently allocated RAM for the OS and other applications from the get go. While Sony is trying to figure it out as they go. Cool.

GravityX

Let's try to remember exactly what that "plan" was.  DRM anyone?

Benny_Blakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Benny_Blakk

[QUOTE="Benny_Blakk"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Still a smaller OS than the PS4's lame-looking one. Neither should be this big, it's ridiculous.ayoox1

Talk about CLUELESS.

4.5 GB GDDR5 is far superior to 5 GB DDR3. 

http://www.gamekicker.com/gaming-news/ps4%E2%80%B2s-5-5-gb-for-games-developer-calls-rumour-false-other-sources-say-6-gb

Multiple sources say that there are actually games in development that use up to 6 GB. But all PS4 developers denounce the rumor of the OS using 3.5 GB of RAM. Turns out that this was just a rumor originating from Digital Foundry (really just a specualtion on their part) and XBot Nation ran a million miles with it without looking back or to check to see if there is even any validity to said rumor.

"Good job".

ayoox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 ayoox1

[QUOTE="ayoox1"][QUOTE="Benny_Blakk"]How do you figure the OS on XBone is smaller than PS4's? Alot of information released suggests otherwise. They've already publicly emphasized their strategy on multitasking, apps, TV, etc.  Why else are they "reserving" a greater amount of RAM for their OS?

Benny_Blakk

Talk about CLUELESS.

http://www.gamekicker.com/gaming-news/ps4%E2%80%B2s-5-5-gb-for-games-developer-calls-rumour-false-other-sources-say-6-gb

Multiple sources say that there are actually games in development that use up to 6 GB. But all PS4 developers denounce the rumor of the OS using 3.5 GB of RAM. Turns out that this was just a rumor originating from Digital Foundry (really just a specualtion on their part) and XBot Nation ran a million miles with it without looking back or to check to see if there is even any validity to said rumor.

"Good job".

butthurt cow, i take DF word over your word any day of week:lol: they got documentation from developers inside, now sony try to spin off the RAM debacle by only saying there is "flexible memory" and OS dont use it, for all we know flexible memory can be 512 mb only :lol: TCHBO!!!! stay mad :cool:
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

[QUOTE="Benny_Blakk"]

[QUOTE="ayoox1"] butthurt cow :lol: 3.5 gb ram for Sony PS4 os, 3 gb ram for xbox one os, failayoox1

Talk about CLUELESS.

"Good job".

butthurt cow, i take DF word over your word any day of week:lol: they got documentation from developers inside, now sony try to spin off the RAM debacle by only saying there is "flexible memory" and OS dont use it, for all we know flexible memory can be 512 mb only :lol: TCHBO!!!! stay mad :cool:

the **** is this shit? :?:roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts
[QUOTE="Benny_Blakk"]

[QUOTE="ayoox1"] butthurt cow :lol: 3.5 gb ram for Sony PS4 os, 3 gb ram for xbox one os, failayoox1

Talk about CLUELESS.

"Good job".

And i take the word of developers over some rumour from DF. Retro City Rampage devs already said it's outright false.
ayoox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ayoox1
[QUOTE="ayoox1"][QUOTE="Benny_Blakk"]Talk about CLUELESS.

"Good job".

hoosier7

And i take the word of developers over some rumour from DF. Retro City Rampage devs already said it's outright false.

of course they deny and claim false rumor, they under NDA, and Sony trying to damage control as much possible from leaked documentation :lol:
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
[QUOTE="ayoox1"][QUOTE="Benny_Blakk"]Talk about CLUELESS.

"Good job".

hoosier7

the retrocityrampage dev is a moron whom was only able to make a game that amounted to an hour of mini games over and over and over and over. He also has had a blatant agenda before his game was even released.