Microsoft stumbles over 09 lineup on X-Play

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

The Cell (yes I did mispell it before) is the name of the CPU (which was co-developed with IBM and Toshiba) in the PS3. It consists of 8 SPEs which mean Synchronous Processing Element. 1 is completely switched off, another designated for the OS. They are each a compartment of the CPU, assigned to specific alogorithms and calculations. But each SPE on it's own isn't capable of running a computer on it's own. Like I said, they are specialized divisions of the Cell processor as a whole.

Have I missed anything so far?

*EDIT* Saw your later post (quoting yourself): You're using Wiki as a source?? The online site that allows public access for anybody to input info? Hardly a credible source? Hell, YOU'RE probably the one who entered that BS line about the Cell being "an 8 core microprocessor" :roll::roll:

Steppy_76

Adobe, the cell used in the PS3 does indeed have 9 cores on the die. 1 PPE(a general purpose core), and 8 SPE's(specialized cores excelling at floating point math). There is no stipulation that says a core has to be a general purpose core nor that is has to be completely independant of any other cores within a die.

Having said that, the spirit of your post is mostly spot on, it really depends on how narrow or broad your definition of a processing core is.

While you are correct in the SPE being a processor core, you don't know what you are talking about as not all core are created equal. The PPE must feed the SPE's tasks to do, they can't just assign themselves tasks as they see fit. Also with a SPE being dedicated to the OS that takes away two threads that games can use. Theoretically the cell in the PS3 could run 9 threads, but realworld takes two of those away, and at least one of the threads on the PPE is going to be doing nothing but giving tasks to the SPE's.Steppy_76

Steppy, I NEVER disputed that the Cell's SPE's are capable of running calculations. That's their purpose. And we both agree that the SPE's are designated to specific tasks. Essentially being divisions of the whole of the calculations that run the games. But how is a "Core" defined? I would say by the simple criteria that it, unto itself is a fully self running processor covering all the range of calculations needed to run a machine (PC, console, or whatnot) independently.

To put it more simply, of one of those SPE's were seperated, could it run a PC on it's own? The Xenon processor is based on 3 actual cores (based on IBM's PowerPC architecture), each one could actually run a PC or console on it's own (as that's what used to be in Mac computers before th switch to Intel), but in the console configuration, are designed to run in tandem.

Going by your second quote where I highlighted, the SPEs are unable to assign their own tasks. They require what the PPE, the central part of the core, gives them. Each core of the Xenon processor is capable of assigning their own tasks. They are each a self reliant processor.

I would use the analogy of an office. The Cell is one company that has these specialized divisions, which are offices in the main building. Each being very good at their specific tasks, which contributes to the companies operation, but not being able to function as their own company. The Xenon on the other hand is 3 companies, each that could operate independantly in the market, but working together in a partnership for a more effective business model.

WutTimeIsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 WutTimeIsIt
Member since 2008 • 785 Posts
[QUOTE="Steppy_76"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]Adobe, the cell used in the PS3 does indeed have 9 cores on the die. 1 PPE(a general purpose core), and 8 SPE's(specialized cores excelling at floating point math). There is no stipulation that says a core has to be a general purpose core nor that is has to be completely independant of any other cores within a die.

Having said that, the spirit of your post is mostly spot on, it really depends on how narrow or broad your definition of a processing core is.

AdobeArtist

While you are correct in the SPE being a processor core, you don't know what you are talking about as not all core are created equal. The PPE must feed the SPE's tasks to do, they can't just assign themselves tasks as they see fit. Also with a SPE being dedicated to the OS that takes away two threads that games can use. Theoretically the cell in the PS3 could run 9 threads, but realworld takes two of those away, and at least one of the threads on the PPE is going to be doing nothing but giving tasks to the SPE's.Steppy_76

Steppy, I NEVER disputed that the Cell's SPE's are capable of running calculations. That's their purpose. And we both agree that the SPE's are designated to specific tasks. Essentially being divisions of the whole of the calculations that run the games. But how is a "Core" defined? I would say by the simple criteria that it, unto itself is a fully self running processor covering all the range of calculations needed to run a machine (PC, console, or whatnot) independently.

To put it more simply, of one of those SPE's were seperated, could it run a PC on it's own? The Xenon processor is based on 3 actual cores (based on IBM's PowerPC architecture), each one could actually run a PC or console on it's own (as that's what used to be in Mac computers before th switch to Intel), but in the console configuration, are designed to run in tandem.

Going by your second quote where I highlighted, the SPEs are unable to assign their own tasks. They require what the PPE, the central part of the core, gives them. Each core of the Xenon processor is capable of assigning their own tasks. They are each a self reliant processor.

I would use the analogy of an office. The Cell is one company that has these specialized divisions, which are offices in the main building. Each being very good at their specific tasks, which contributes to the companies operation, but not being able to function as their own company. The Xenon on the other hand is 3 companies, each that could operate independantly in the market, but working together in a partnership for a more effective business model.

once again you dont know anything about what your trying to say, plz educate yourself before you spread around false words. im not even gonna bother correcting you anymore waste of time.
WutTimeIsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 WutTimeIsIt
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"][QUOTE="Steppy_76"]

[QUOTE="Steppy_76"]While you are correct in the SPE being a processor core, you don't know what you are talking about as not all core are created equal. The PPE must feed the SPE's tasks to do, they can't just assign themselves tasks as they see fit. Also with a SPE being dedicated to the OS that takes away two threads that games can use. Theoretically the cell in the PS3 could run 9 threads, but realworld takes two of those away, and at least one of the threads on the PPE is going to be doing nothing but giving tasks to the SPE's.WutTimeIsIt

once again you dont know anything about what your trying to say, plz educate yourself before you spread around false words. im not even gonna bother correcting you anymore waste of time.

actually i will say one thing cuz its really bugging me, each of those spe's has the capability to run any core instruction set, and at a faster rate then the "actual cores (lmao)" that your talking about. BUT, that wouldnt make Efficient Use of the technology, that would be like going backwards to try to do that. Plz just stop, your embarressing the 360 owners.
WutTimeIsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 WutTimeIsIt
PS3 has one CPU core and 360 has 3 CPU cores, that is the factsobamanian
Wrong, but even so, Thats like saying PS3 has 1 PPE's and 8 SPE's, and 360 has 0 PPE's and 0 SPE's, this is a fact. but does it show much (other than sony's technology being newer, better, and more efficient)? the answer is simple but i will leave you to ponder for hours over it.
UGCoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#107 UGCoat
Member since 2009 • 236 Posts
I just saw the clip. I lol'd when he ignored the question but i'm sure Microsoft has more to announce
WutTimeIsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 WutTimeIsIt

http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cell/Cell1_v2.html

The PPE is a dual issue, dual threaded, in-order processor. Unlike many modern processors the hardware architecture is an "old ****" RISC design, i.e. the PPE has a relatively simple architecture.

So, the SPUs are not CPU cores with the same functionality as the 360 CPU cores

I think any further debate ends here, since after those shocking to PS3 owners news, we simply can't tell if 8 SPUs + a real CPU are better than 3 real CPUs in real world game applications

obamanian
ye first off they are called SPE's not SPU's, but since you cant even figure that much out, i will add you to Adobe's list of ppl who dont know what they are talking about.
obamanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 obamanian
Member since 2008 • 3351 Posts
[QUOTE="obamanian"]

http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cell/Cell1_v2.html

The PPE is a dual issue, dual threaded, in-order processor. Unlike many modern processors the hardware architecture is an "old ****" RISC design, i.e. the PPE has a relatively simple architecture.

So, the SPUs are not CPU cores with the same functionality as the 360 CPU cores

I think any further debate ends here, since after those shocking to PS3 owners news, we simply can't tell if 8 SPUs + a real CPU are better than 3 real CPUs in real world game applications

WutTimeIsIt

ye first off they are called SPE's not SPU's, but since you cant even figure that much out, i will add you to Adobe's list of ppl who dont know what they are talking about.

I have seen it called "Units" instead of "Elements" many times, so who cares ? The meaning is about the same

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts
[QUOTE="Steppy_76"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]Adobe, the cell used in the PS3 does indeed have 9 cores on the die. 1 PPE(a general purpose core), and 8 SPE's(specialized cores excelling at floating point math). There is no stipulation that says a core has to be a general purpose core nor that is has to be completely independant of any other cores within a die.

AdobeArtist

I completely agree with what you're saying. The only thing is not calling the SPE's a "core". You are using criteria to not call it a core that don't actually determine if it is a core. There are multiprocessor designs that do the same thing as the cell on a macro scale with processors that don't share the same die. Even if they can't assign themselves code, they are still processors.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts
[QUOTE="obamanian"]PS3 has one CPU core and 360 has 3 CPU cores, that is the factsWutTimeIsIt
Wrong, but even so, Thats like saying PS3 has 1 PPE's and 8 SPE's, and 360 has 0 PPE's and 0 SPE's, this is a fact. but does it show much (other than sony's technology being newer, better, and more efficient)? the answer is simple but i will leave you to ponder for hours over it.

THe PPE unit is the PS3 is infact similar to a single core of the 360. It would be very correct to call the cell a 1PPE, 7 SPE processor(the 8th is nonfunctioning, it isn't a working unit), and the 360 a 3PPE, 0SPE processor. Asymetric Multiprocessing is actually OLDER than the Symetric Multiprocessing we use today. It was gone away from do to complexity and inflexibility. The cell has a higher theoretical ceiling, but realworld scenarios where you can reach those levels are far a few between...even less common with the gaming world. Outside of extremely parallel floating point crunching(why the cell excels at F@H) the cell has a problem keeping it executions units full. The 360 will be running at higher efficiency in more scenarios than the cell will, and except for a very few situations will have required far less juggling from the developer to achieve said efficiency.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts
[QUOTE="Stiggsx"]

Microsoft always delivers

Like he said they under promise and overdeliver unlike Sony who does the exact opposite

AdobeArtist

Like in my earlier metaphor. If Sony was playing a game of poker against Microsoft, they wouldn't be doing to well.

How do you know Sony's game division doesn't have any cards up its sleeve? :? How do you know if MS' so called secret games are gonna deliver if announced?
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#113 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"][QUOTE="Stiggsx"]

Like he said they under promise and overdeliver unlike Sony who does the exact opposite

hayato_

Like in my earlier metaphor. If Sony was playing a game of poker against Microsoft, they wouldn't be doing to well.

How do you know Sony's game division doesn't have any cards up its sleeve? :? How do you know if MS' so called secret games are gonna deliver if announced?

They do-

http://www.videogamer.com/news/06-01-2009-10289.html

"2009 will be the year of big, exclusive PS3 titles. Just to name a few, the year will start with the much anticipated launch of Killzone 2, followed by a fresh, new take on the superhero/anti-hero open sandbox genre inFamous, a mind-bending thriller Heavy Rain, a massive 256 player simultaneous online shooter MAG, an augmented reality, virtual pet in your room experience EyePet, and some more big titles that we have not even announced yet."

One of them had better be by Team ICO :x

Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Bazooka_4ME
Member since 2008 • 2540 Posts

Your metaphor is a little outdated; Sony already beat the crap out of MS in a game of Street Fighter. So 2008 when the games were announced and released at their respected time, what happened to them? Ninja Gaiden 2, Fable 2, Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Too Human, Banjo Kazooie, etc..?
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#115 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Bazooka_4ME

Your metaphor is a little outdated; Sony already beat the crap out of MS in a game of Street Fighter. So 2008 when the games were announced and released at their respected time, what happened to them? Ninja Gaiden 2, Fable 2, Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Too Human, Banjo Kazooie, etc..?

Too Human was announced waaaay back in 2005 and Fable & Banjo were announced in 2006. All 1st party MS titles announced years in advance :shock: I guess you're implying they all flopped, but Fable 2 is still great though.

lafigueroa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 lafigueroa
Member since 2004 • 6648 Posts

1:51 into the video:" We don't comment on our lineup until later in the year"

translation: Wait for E3

problem solved

GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#117 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
[QUOTE="obamanian"]

Xbox 360 has a stunning lineup for 2009, full of huge 50-100 hour deep games and vast open next gen game worlds

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26715971&tag=topics;title

I count 109 games !!! Of course more will come and i have forgot many i guess

Chutebox

If you stop counting sucky games, well I'll let you think about that.

Hell, by this logic Wii is the console to own this year (not a hit on Wii, just making a point).

I patiently await your usual response.

Fable 2 is the best graphics! Look at t3h l3aves!!!

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

problem solved

lafigueroa
seriously..why is that so hard to understand?
bufu21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 bufu21
Member since 2006 • 1214 Posts
[QUOTE="lafigueroa"]

problem solved

lawlessx

because its SW
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#120 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="bufu21"][QUOTE="lawlessx"][QUOTE="lafigueroa"]

problem solved

because its SW

That's true sadly.
dadoobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 dadoobie
Member since 2009 • 41 Posts
There needs to be something announced at E3. Halo Wars, Halo ODST, or whatever else proooobably won't deliver like the heavy hitters of last year. Although I will be picking them up.
hyperkass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 hyperkass
Member since 2009 • 938 Posts

not good.

cept for Halo.