Mass Effect 3 tweaked for "larger market"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Oh boy, Gears of War with 30 hours of dialogue, sounds promising.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#152 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

[QUOTE="LookAnDrolL"]

[QUOTE="dog_dirt"]

if it was so bad how did it manage to get so much critical acclaim. or did EA just pay for the reviews and awards?

frostybanana

No they didn't have to pay anything, other than LOTS and LOTS of money for polishing...

ME2 was published in a time where Production Values = High score.

The game is crap tho, an incredible polished piece of turd

It has no soul whatsoever, you go randomly collecting collaborators for a 10 minutes long final fight with incredible silly giant terminator

The game design is awful its basically this

Repited till boredom

Did you even play Mass Effect 2?

He might be saying it in a crude way, but he isn't really wrong.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#154 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Okay, so let's just disregard every other detail we've known about the game.

I'm far from being the biggest BioWare fan, but holy crap are you guys jumping to conclusions quickly.

Of course something like this is going to be said from the EA's CEO. What else would you think he'd say? And you're more inclined to trust him then...oh I dunno...ME3's project director?

Seems to me that a lot of you are just looking for any reason to hate on BioWare.

And even if it is tweaked for a larger market, it's not like it'll be doing a disservice to the series. Mass Effect was never a deep RPG,and ME2 was a much stronger game because it an action game that was immediately engaging, had a stronger direction, and provided a scope that made it exceptional.

Y'all so silly.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#155 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
so this means. Add generic MP , more grey color, more blood, get rid even more RPG elements, dump save and instead rely on checkpoints alone and less dialog options
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Did you even play Mass Effect 2? frostybanana

There, that feels pretty accurate to me :D (was thinking of mordin's mission whlie making it.)

The level's really a strait line, it just looks like you have options.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#157 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

GeneralShowzer

True, maybe because I played it too many times, but just a year later and ME2 really didn't age as well as the first game TBH. I understand that the middle of thetrilogy is meant to set up the final part, but the game on it's own really lacked substance. Felt more like an expansion pack.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#158 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14905 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

Lionheart08

True, maybe because I played it too many times, but just a year later and ME2 really didn't age as well as the first game TBH. I understand that the middle of thetrilogy is meant to set up the final part, but the game on it's own really lacked substance. Felt more like an expansion pack.

Its the first game that doesn't age well.... ME2 lacks substance? wow
EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

It's basically going to be a TPS with multiplayer.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Lionheart08

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

texasgoldrush

Yeah it doesn't. The whole game is helping you're Squadmates with their daddy issues so they can survive a 20 minute suicide mission in the end. ME2 had no where near the levelof the immersion the first game had.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#161 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Lionheart08

Yeah it doesn't. The whole game is helping you're Squadmates with their daddy issues so they can survive a 20 minute suicide mission in the end. ME2 had no where near the levelof the immersion the first game had.

Basically this. ME1 setup a pretty epic plot, ME2 barely pushed anything along, its like they wanted more money and extended 2 games of plot into a trilogy, so the middle game is great and all, has some nice characters and all that, but it doesn't move the major plot along very much. Its more like a big introduction to some new characters, and honestly, my ME3 main party will likely be entirely ME1 characters.
N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#162 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts

Don't understand why people are saying it'll have multiplayer. They confirmed in the GI article that it will NOT have MP.

Most people that are posting here just seem seriously misinformed...

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Lionheart08

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] Its the first game that doesn't age well.... ME2 lacks substance? wow110million

Basically this. ME1 setup a pretty epic plot, ME2 barely pushed anything along, its like they wanted more money and extended 2 games of plot into a trilogy, so the middle game is great and all, has some nice characters and all that, but it doesn't move the major plot along very much. Its more like a big introduction to some new characters, and honestly, my ME3 main party will likely be entirely ME1 characters.

That's the other thing. There's a very slim chance any of the ME2 squad will actually be permanent squad members in the final part. As popular as characters like Tali and Garrus are, Bioware wrote themselves into a corner with ME2's Suicide Mission. Add that with the fact that it was DLC, "The Arrival", that actually moved the plot forward, and I can't shake the filling that most of ME2 was filler.

SunnySAY87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 SunnySAY87
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

call of dutitized!

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 N7v1K0

[QUOTE="110million"] Basically this. ME1 setup a pretty epic plot, ME2 barely pushed anything along, its like they wanted more money and extended 2 games of plot into a trilogy, so the middle game is great and all, has some nice characters and all that, but it doesn't move the major plot along very much. Its more like a big introduction to some new characters, and honestly, my ME3 main party will likely be entirely ME1 characters. Lionheart08

That's the other thing. There's a very slim chance any of the ME2 squad will actually be permanent squad members in the final part. As popular as characters like Tali and Garrus are, Bioware wrote themselves into a corner with ME2's Suicide Mission. Add that with the fact that it was DLC, "The Arrival", that actually moved the plot forward, and I can't shake the filling that most of ME2 was filler.

Do you really think that ME2 didn't move anything forward? Would it actually be better if the Collectors were still doing what they were doing? Do you SERIOUSLY think that?

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Is it official that EA has ruined Bioware yet? Or are we still waiting for The Old Republic?
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

Am I the only one who isn't displeased with this news? I don't think it'll be for the worst. Just because they're reaching out to a broader audience, doesn't mean it can retain its fundamental depth.

Generally, I like the delay, because the window is already crowded, and they've seen much success with Mass 2 during Q1 of 2010 (calendar).

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

I'm going to be frank, I don't mind this at all. Yes I enjoyed Mass Effect 1 over the second but it wasn't necessarily because it had more "deep" RPG elements. Going all out with the shooter mentality might not be too bad, just as long as they don't make it a rail shooter--at least not more than the sequel was.

Concentrate on things like story progression, characterization, soundtrack and better level design than its predecessors and you'll have me satisfied--give me an awesome and fitting end to the series. The lack of some RPG elements was far from being my biggest gripe with the second. They can still make a game that far surpasses my expectations. Now it's up to them.

Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Indie_Hitman
Member since 2008 • 2457 Posts

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="110million"] Basically this. ME1 setup a pretty epic plot, ME2 barely pushed anything along, its like they wanted more money and extended 2 games of plot into a trilogy, so the middle game is great and all, has some nice characters and all that, but it doesn't move the major plot along very much. Its more like a big introduction to some new characters, and honestly, my ME3 main party will likely be entirely ME1 characters. N7v1K0

Do you really think that ME2 didn't move anything forward? Would it actually be better if the Collectors were still doing what they were doing? Do you SERIOUSLY think that?

They ARE still doing what they were doing at the start of the game...
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#170 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Is it official that EA has ruined Bioware yet? Or are we still waiting for The Old Republic?meetroid8

No, still waiting until Mass Effect 3 release. I still have some faith in Bioware but I swear, Mass Effect 3 is their last chance to redeem themselves after disappointment that was Dragon Age 2.

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 N7v1K0

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Indie_Hitman

They ARE still doing what they were doing at the start of the game...

I think you're forgetting that part, well y'know like, where you [spoiler] wipe them all out like [/spoiler]

Lol did you even play the game? :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc
deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts

So they delayed something like 4-5 months to dumb it down? Cause that's the message I'm getting.Ace6301

Sounds just about right..

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] Its the first game that doesn't age well.... ME2 lacks substance? wow110million

1.ME1 started the universe but as deep as the universe was It did not stand on its own. Many people felt it was Kotor 2.0. Universe wise you only saw 3 human colonies, a dig site, a base, the citadel and many barren planets...

2. What ME2 did was add to the universe we saw how the tuminis system was like, learned more about aliens and their culture, we gain deeper characters, what are fate turrly is if we lose and gain deeper characters. ME2 added thing that made ME as a series stand on it own from of scifi stories.

If you want to talk about how the plot was not good because it was character driven, then I have to kindly as you to read Ender's game.....A fantastic, heavily prized, well received scifi story that is heavily character driven... 2.ME2

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 StealthSting

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="110million"] Basically this. ME1 setup a pretty epic plot, ME2 barely pushed anything along, its like they wanted more money and extended 2 games of plot into a trilogy, so the middle game is great and all, has some nice characters and all that, but it doesn't move the major plot along very much. Its more like a big introduction to some new characters, and honestly, my ME3 main party will likely be entirely ME1 characters. N7v1K0

The existence of the Collectors wasn't even necessary to begin with. It's just some random species that they added to the sequel which served as our backgroung story for the kidnapping of human colonies and having some stupid relationship with the Protheans. That's really all it was, in fact I felt that the collectors were one of the worst things that happened to Mass Effect. The series would loose nothing if they simply didn't exist.

Another-World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Another-World
Member since 2011 • 784 Posts

It's irritating how the devs keep s***ing on regular gamers. We get it. you want moar money.

Well just make an option in the main screen menu "Tick this if you are a noob".

And talk straight.

"We are targeting mass appeal hahaha blahaha"......Come on, come out with it and just say "yeah!! we need more money and so we are DUMBING it down! deal with it!"

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 N7v1K0

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

StealthSting

The existence of the Collectors wasn't even necessary to begin with. It's just some random species that they added to the sequel which served as our backgroung story for the kidnapping of human colonies and having some stupid relationship with the Protheans. That's really all it was, in fact I felt that the collectors were one of the worst things that happened to Mass Effect. The series would loose nothing if they simply didn't exist.

So would you have preferred if the Batarians, for example, were doing this? Would've been more predictable, and therefore worse, that way

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 dreman999

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

StealthSting

1.The collector weren't random.....especaily when you found out what they really were.

2. The collector were just like Seran, an agent of the Reapers,(Or agents to be more truth full.) The fact is no matter what, with the plot you weregoing to fact a newreaper agent to move the plot do to the fact that it's the only way the reapers can fight back untill they get there. Also, the fact remain that even in ME1 most of the galxey was unseen. We only saw 3 human colinies and the citidel in the first game, so why can things be added to a game series that not everything for it was not seen?

3. The collector then selves really was arepresentation of what would happen to all the races in the galxey. They were never the villians....Just tools. The collector just reafermed who the bad guys were...the reapers. In this war you only kill one and a half reapers. While the reapers destroyed fleets and killed million of human.....And the reapers have way more than one and a half of them. The collecters just show how grim things are.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 StealthSting

[QUOTE="StealthSting"]

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

N7v1K0

So would you have preferred if the Batarians, for example, were doing this? Would've been more predictable, and therefore worse, that way

I don't know... I'm not being paid for working on the plotline of the Mass Effect series. If I were, I'm sure I could come up with something better in less than 5 minutes.

The thing is that the kidnapping itself wasn't necessary either, especially when you look at the horrible final outcome--the reason why Humans were being kidnapped in the first place. The reason why the humans were being kidnapped was mostly used as a ways to intruduce the Illusive Man and Cerberus goals, Bioware could still have come up with something better in order to introduce the player to a more human focused story in the sequel.

Almost everything in the sequel just ended feeling like it was either poorly executed storywise or downright unecessary. The only thing the sequel did well was characterization for me.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#179 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

OMG no :(navyguy21

this.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

[QUOTE="StealthSting"]

StealthSting

I don't know... I'm not being paid for working on the plotline of the Mass Effect series. If I were, I'm sure I could come up with something better in less than 5 minutes.

The thing is that the kidnapping itself wasn't necessary either, especially when you look at the horrible final outcome--the reason why Humans were being kidnapped in the first place. The reason why the humans were being kidnapped was mostly used as a ways to intruduce the Illusive Man and Cerberus goals, Bioware could still have come up with something better in order to introduce the player to a more human focused story in the sequel.

Almost everything in the sequel just ended feeling like it was either poorly executed storywise or downright unecessary. The only thing the sequel did well was characterization for me.

All the things that are wrong with ME2's story summed up in one post. Kudos to you, sir.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="StealthSting"]

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

DarkLink77

All the things that are wrong with ME2's story summed up in one post. Kudos to you, sir.

Mass Effect fanboys always spin it and try to convince people that it has the deepest most thought out storyline ever.

People have claimed that the stealth in Mass Effect 2 is the same as in Baldurs Gate 2.

It's really pointless to argue about this game on this forum.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 dreman999

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

[QUOTE="StealthSting"]

StealthSting

The problem was not the conclution.... It was what the reaper looked like...It was a big cliche.... Seeing people grinned up is always horrible but the baby reaper was so baddly design that it almost destroyed the plot.

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#183 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
Multiple articles from journalists>One EA CEO's words
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 StealthSting

1.The collector weren't random.....especaily when you found out what they really were.

2. The collector were just like Seran, an agent of the Reapers,(Or agents to be more truth full.) The fact is no matter what, with the plot you weregoing to fact a newreaper agent to move the plot do to the fact that it's the only way the reapers can fight back untill they get there. Also, the fact remain that even in ME1 most of the galxey was unseen. We only saw 3 human colinies and the citidel in the first game, so why can things be added to a game series that not everything for it was not seen?

3. The collector then selves really was arepresentation of what would happen to all the races in the galxey. They were never the villians....Just tools. The collector just reafermed who the bad guys were...the reapers. In this war you only kill one and a half reapers. While the reapers destroyed fleets and killed million of human.....And the reapers have way more than one and a half of them. The collecters just show how grim things are.

dreman999

Saren was far more necessary for the plotline. Saren was not just some random villain. The existence of Saren explained further our species place in the galaxy and the council, it led us to the Reapers and explained further the Repears relation to the ancient civilizations, what happened, and their relation with our current species and situation within the galaxy.

The Collectors were absolutely random, their existence brought nothing. They didn't make the player discover anything of significance with their existence, outside of their relationship with the Protheans and even that ended doing nothing at all. You could argue that they simply serve as an example of the power and influence of the reapers, like you're pointing out, but you already had that explained with the eradication of the ancient civilizations. Reafirm that the Reapers were the bad guys? Who really needed that in the first place? Everything else was already presented in the first game.

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing any susbtantial reason for their existence in your post. None of your reasons really added anything of significance to the Mass Effect lore.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="StealthSting"]

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

dreman999

The problem was not the conclution.... It was what the reaper looked like...It was a big cliche.... Seeing people grinned up is always horrible but the baby reaper was so baddly design that it almost destroyed the plot.

The problem was a human reaper in general. If they'd been trying to rebuild Sovereign or something, no one would have cared.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15571 Posts

I'm hoping this means they will appeal to shooter and RPG fans, instead of the "we will appeal to only shooter fans because those are obviously the only people who play games" approach.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
Yeah,ME2 was pretty heavy on RPG elements,streamlining it is the way to go.Arach666
rofl that's BEING SUBTLE BUT CLEVER can we be friends
N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 N7v1K0

[QUOTE="StealthSting"]

dreman999

You're right, but the thing is, that wasn't the only design. It was chosen to be that because most likely the game would've been banned in a lot of places if it included killing a giant fetus that looked like a giant fetus

Here's the link to that particular image

And also, Stealth Sting, please fire ahead with that better plot you could write in less than 5 minutes. I am eager to see it :)

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 N7v1K0

The problem was a human reaper in general. If they'd been trying to rebuild Sovereign or something, no one would have cared.DarkLink77

Maybe that's what they were trying to do? lol

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="StealthSting"]

N7v1K0

You're right, but the thing is, that wasn't the only design. It was chosen to be that because most likely the game would've been banned in a lot of places if it included killing a giant fetus that looked like a giant fetus

And also, Stealth Sting, please fire ahead with that better plot you could write in less than 5 minutes. I am eager to see it :)

Darklink already did.
N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 N7v1K0

Darklink already did.GeneralShowzer

Yes I saw that, and I responded, don't worry :P

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]The problem was a human reaper in general. If they'd been trying to rebuild Sovereign or something, no one would have cared.N7v1K0

Well, they were doing a pretty bad job. Seriously, whoever came up with the idea for a human Reaper should be fired.
N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 N7v1K0

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]The problem was a human reaper in general. If they'd been trying to rebuild Sovereign or something, no one would have cared.DarkLink77

Well, they were doing a pretty bad job. Seriously, whoever came up with the idea for a human Reaper should be fired.

Well look, whatever species Sovereign was made from is more than likely 100% dead, so they can't use that. From what the Collectors gathered of current species, they liked humans the most. Unless time travel suddenly makes an appearance in ME3 I don't see what the problem is

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 StealthSting

N7v1K0

I'll admit that I'm probably coming as a stuck up high-horse idiot, I can do that some times. Storytelling in a video game can be a very tricky business and I probably shouldn't have been that arrogant, still, since I've started this, I would be lying to you if I said that I felt I could not do it better. It's really as simple as that.

That said, you're not going to see it, for the simple fact that I really don't feel the need to do so. Besides, I don't do fan fiction XD, it's a waste of my time from a creative standpoint :P.

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 N7v1K0

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

StealthSting

I'll admit that I'm probably coming as a stuck up high-horse idiot, I can do that some times. Storytelling in a video game can be a very tricky business and I probably shouldn't have been that arrogant, still, since I've started this, I would be lying to you if I said that I felt I could not do it better. It's really as simple as that.

That said, you're not going to see it, for the simple fact that I really don't feel the need to do so. Besides, I don't do fan fiction XD, it's a waste of my time from a creative standpoint :P.

Ok well fair enough lol :P

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

N7v1K0

Well look, whatever species Sovereign was made from is more than likely 100% dead, so they can't use that. From what the Collectors gathered of current species, they liked humans the most. Unless time travel suddenly makes an appearance in ME3 I don't see what the problem is

It's still an incredibly stupid idea. I mean, come on, what did they make the rest of the Reapers out of, if they have to look like the source species? Squids? Beatles?
LookAnDrolL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#197 LookAnDrolL
Member since 2008 • 2483 Posts
So the collectors were protheans husk... that's the only thing that ME2 does to move the plot foward... AND We allready know that!! there were husk in ME1 ME1 ending: The reapers are coming ME2 ending: Damn, the reapers are coming
N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 N7v1K0

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

DarkLink77

It's still an incredibly stupid idea. I mean, come on, what did they make the rest of the Reapers out of, if they have to look like the source species? Squids? Beatles?

Hehehe :P

The squid shape just encases the core, which looks like whichever species the Reaper is made from. If it was like that ^^ it would indeed be downright ridiculous, and I wouldn't be defending it at all

core

As you can see, the core is absolutely tiny compared to the real thing.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

N7v1K0

Hehehe :P

The squid shape just encases the core, which looks like whichever species the Reaper is made from. If it was like that it would indeed be downright ridiculous, and I wouldn't be defending it at all. As you can see, the core is absolutely tiny compared to the real thing.

I'm guessing that's something BioWare came up with to sweep it under the rug after everyone who ever played ME2 told them that it was an unimaginably stupid idea.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#200 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

So Sheppard will now be curb stomping people and getting kill streaks?

Goodie................