Let's talk about Skyward Sword.

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
The forum seems to be very divided on whether the games sucks or is a good game. in the voting thread, many people voted for Skyward Sword. But in other Nintendo related threads it's different. When someone mentions the game it gets called sub-par, especially when it is compared to other Zelda games or action-adventure games. So if you like or hate the game, I am curious as to how and why you reached the decision.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Game has fantastic dungeons, and some of the better Zelda boss fights in a long time. That's where all the good will ends.

After that the game is incredibly padded, and constantly throws chores at you(namely those tears of a bullshit fetch quests), the motion controls are largely a mixed bag. There was nothing gained out of making the bird or swimming motion based other than needless frustration, when the wii mote has a capable analog stick. The sword swings do what you want from a motion standpoint(most of the time), but it's not as responsive as a button press would be anyway, and in general it doesn't change the fact that the combat is still shallow. It just has a little bit more going for it this time by Zelda standards. motion controls for using bombs were lame and pointless, bow and arrow and the beattle were kind of cool.  Fi is an annoying little bitch.

Narrative direction was still dated in its presentation, and felt like some kind of nonsense pandering to their whole "we have a timeline" guttertrash by making it an origin story.

Skyward Sword for all intents and purposes could be a really good/well crafted game if it dropped content, but as it stands it's a game that does not respect the player(FI loves pointing out obvious shit), nor does it respect the players time. Throw in motion controls that are frankly a mixed bag depending on what you're doing. It doesn't help matters that the game is very much "more f*cking Zelda" to boot.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

despite the game taking practically a whole gen to make, it felt really rushed.  The controls were not designed well enough, as well as the overworld and a lot of the features within it.  I forget who mentioned it, but it was someone on  this forum, who compared the game to Demons Souls.  I think that Nintendo saw Demons Souls in 2009 and basically started over development to make their game more like that.  

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

It's a good game but not the best Zelda game. Nothing else to talk about.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Game has fantastic dungeons, and some of the better Zelda boss fights in a long time. That's where all the good will ends.

After that the game is incredibly padded, and constantly throws chores at you(namely those tears of a bullshit fetch quests), the motion controls are largely a mixed bag. There was nothing gained out of making the bird or swimming motion based other than needless frustration, when the wii mote has a capable analog stick. The sword swings do what you want from a motion standpoint(most of the time), but it's not as responsive as a button press would be anyway, and in general it doesn't change the fact that the combat is still shallow. It just has a little bit more going for it this time by Zelda standards. motion controls for using bombs were lame and pointless, bow and arrow and the beattle were kind of cool.  Fi is an annoying little bitch.

Narrative direction was still dated in its presentation, and felt like some kind of nonsense pandering to their whole "we have a timeline" guttertrash by making it an origin story.

Skyward Sword for all intents and purposes could be a really good/well crafted game if it dropped content, but as it stands it's a game that does not respect the player(FI loves pointing out obvious shit), nor does it respect the players time. Throw in motion controls that are frankly a mixed bag depending on what you're doing. It doesn't help matters that the game is very much "more f*cking Zelda" to boot.

jg4xchamp

yes I forgot to mention the padding.  That was the most accurate part of Gamespot's review.  SS is padded to an obnoxious degree and none of that padding is satisfying.  

I would also say that the core gameplay is excellent however, and that the motion controls are worth developing further.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#7 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

It's a good game but not the best Zelda game. Nothing else to talk about.

p3anut
Pretty much.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Let's not. Ever.
Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
Let's not. Ever.charizard1605
I thought you said you liked it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Let's not. Ever.NationProtector
I thought you said you liked it?

I have not said I liked Skyward Sword since December 2011.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Zelda was one of my very favorite franchises growing up, Skyward Sword made me lose all confidence in the franchise.

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts
The best after Wind Waker.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

The good: Pretty much all of its dungeons and bosses (except one that you have to fight THREE TIMES) are outstanding. I liked the aesthetics and I thought motion controls were tons of fun. 

The bad: I never thought I'd say this because I'm not that much into sandbox, exploration and stuff, but it seems like you just couldn't just relax, walk around and find smaller tasks here and there. The game seemed to always be trying to get you to do something REALLY IMPORTANT NOW. Sometimes it was fun, like a dungeon, and sometimes it was boring as hell, like those tear trials thingamabobs. Also, even as a hub, Skyloft was impossibly boring. 

doll94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 doll94
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts
The controls ruined the game for me. Awful. The revisiting areas didnt help either.
zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts
One of my favorite zelda games. Now I'm in the mood to play zelda. :3
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14501 Posts
zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts
What's the problem with the controls? It was much better implemented than TP on Wii.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
What's the problem with the controls? It was much better implemented than TP on Wii.zeroyaoi
Great for fighting. Sucked for everything else. Why did they map flying, swimming, puzzles, and swan diving to motion controls? Why not just use the analog stick like other games?
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i thought it was really good.

i enjoyed the motion controls...but honestly...if zelda on wiiU has an option for motion controls or gamepad...im going with the gamepad.

games like pikmin i love with the wiimote...same with shooters like call of duty. but zelda i think is better with a normal controller.

something missing from the game is exploration in skyloft...windwakers ocean was full of secrets...skyloft felt a bit empty.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#21 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
The controls were really well done for the tech they're working with. Part of the problem is the tech itself; it cannot register feints well enough.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
It was OK. The Wiimotion+ added an element of strategy to the combat that was really lacking in other 3d Zelda games. I do wish there were more islands and less empty sky.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Great game, very underestimated by Zelda fans.  Biggest down falls were the padding formula, and the open world. Everything was pretty much pointless until you reached a dungeon. 

But the dungeons were easy the best in any Zelda games, right up there with MM.  The bosses were really good too (though still way too easy.)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44637 Posts
I was about to use a $50 Target gift card on the game, then I noticed they had a demo for it at the store, well I found the demo to be incredibly boring, so I passed. I actually just tried the game a couple weeks ago when visiting a friend and am still not convinced enough to want to play it.
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

The good: outstanding dungeons, good boss fights, combat was fun, I liked Skytown, and I am in the minority in that I enjoyed swimming, soundtrack was good. And I really liked this version of Zelda compared to other versions.

The bad: overall a bad overworld, flying can be a chore when their is no teleportaton, slow start, rolling bombs (which was my only problem with the controls), a repeated boss fight, the use of the harp felt like a step backwards. Lastly while there is no grand fetch quests, there are multiple type quests late in the game.

Overall I enjoyed it because the dungeons were the best in the series. However, I came to realize that 2D Zelda >>> 3D Zelda, especially after beating the Oracle games and playing a little bit of LA DX. Still I have no problem with people not liking SS just so long as they are consistent and won't flip flop when the next Zelda game comes out.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

9.0/10 game.

A good Zelda game.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The forum seems to be very divided on whether the games sucks or is a good game.NationProtector

No it's pretty clear that this Forum is very Anti-Nintendo.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Still want it.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i think it's the best zelda i've played. not my favorite, but the best. it might be because i've been dying to get a new collectathon, but the mario 64-esque overworld was very appealing to me. the dungeons were fantastic and delightful to play through, the bosses were the best the series has seen, the combat was good, the more story-oriented approach was cool, and it looked (and sounded) gorgeous. the only low point to me would be having to fight that spiky muppet 3 times throughout the game. will give it a replay whenever i hit a low tide in games, which doesn't seem to be any time soon.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="zeroyaoi"]What's the problem with the controls? It was much better implemented than TP on Wii.charizard1605
Great for fighting. Sucked for everything else. Why did they map flying, swimming, puzzles, and swan diving to motion controls? Why not just use the analog stick like other games?

i'll grant you swimming because swimming had the bad habit of losing callibration if you did it for too long (forcing you to do the auto recallibrate trick), but flying worked fine with motion controls (it plays just like the airplane game from wii sports resort, which i happen to be a fan of, though it doesn't take much to make me happy with flying), and i don't recall any puzzles that required motion controls that hindered the experience. matter of fact, the only motion control puzzle i can think of are the boss keys, which were fine.
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
Zelda with pad >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Zelda with Wii bullshit mote... Thats why
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#32 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

The controls were fine, very sharp. The dungeons ranged from standard to fantastic (Sandship and Skyloft). Despite a short draw distance, Skyward Sword's visuals were great for the most part though sometimes looked downright ugly. The combat would not have been the same experience if I was using standard controller, and that goes for some of the puzzles. That final dungeon was genius, and I don't say "genius" lightly.

I also REALLY liked the timeshift stones and the puzzles applied by them and its interconnectedly weaved story. 

Another thing is how they borrowed elements from the previous games: Wii Sports, Luigi's Mansion, and former Zelda games.

So I liked the controls, puzzles, dungeon design, boss battles and mini bosses, visuals, and it being a very long, 40+ game.

What I did not like, first off was Tom McShea's totally BS followed up with his lies in the review about the controls. That aside, I didn't like how the padding. Now that's not to say everything that wasn't in a dungeon was padding or boring but things like finding Kikwis and pieces of a key to getting to the 2nd dungeon were boring. There was quite a bit of padding. The tutorial lasted 3 1/2 hours, and the first dungeon didn't come up until the 4th hour. I didn't find the game interesting until 10 hours in, which is way too long for any game to get finally interesting. I was bored for the first several hours. I also didn't like being forced to visit every location (forest, volcano, desert) on three seperate occasions. Lastly, Fi was annoying.

Skyward Sword is a great game. It takes several hours to really take off, and there are a couple subpar moments (collecting notes, the stealth sequence to get to the fire dragon), but it's worth a full retail price and of the Wii's best adventure games. No, it isn't the best Zelda game, but it's another strong entry in the Wii library.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I'm a diehard Zelda fan.  I'd say Tom McShea's assessment (while I don't entirely agree with him) is more accurate than the assessments of the fans who reacted negatively toward him.

Personally, I give Skyward Sword an 8/10.  It was a great game that added a lot to the series, but it's flaws kept it from being the 10/10 masterpeice it was truly capable of being.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

A game I still need to pick up.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Sure...Tom Mcshea is a moron that shouldn't review games, you don't review a game citing bad controls as an issue and why it has a lower score than it deserves then fully admit you tried playing the game like a previous game, and ignored the tutorials.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

[QUOTE="NationProtector"]The forum seems to be very divided on whether the games sucks or is a good game.LegatoSkyheart

Funny. BEcause i remember 8 years ago more or less this forum was vey Anti-Sony and guess who were laughing most ... Sheeps did because of sales difference.. payback time i guess.
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Sure...Tom Mcshea is a moron that shouldn't review games, you don't review a game citing bad controls as an issue and why it has a lower score than it deserves then fully admit you tried playing the game like a previous game, and ignored the tutorials.

WilliamRLBaker

Except you are incorrect.

Tom McShea was not wrong about how the controls played.  He simply said they were infared controls when they were not infared.

Most Wii's play Skyward Sword just fine but some Wii's don't.  Skyward Sword responded to my movements accurately 100% of the time, but then when I went to a friend's house, it only responded about 70% of the time (which is enough to result in death).  After a half hour of trying to recalibrate it still didn't work.

It's most likely a hardware problem, either with the MotionPlus, the Wiimote, or the sensor bar, but Nintendo offers no way to mitigate the problem if you happen to be among the unlucky few.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"]The forum seems to be very divided on whether the games sucks or is a good game.AzatiS

Funny. BEcause i remember 8 years ago more or less this forum was vey Anti-Sony and guess who were laughing most ... Sheeps did because of sales difference.. payback time i guess.

2005 was Cowland.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"]The forum seems to be very divided on whether the games sucks or is a good game.AzatiS

Like Sheep actually exsist now, also 8 years ago the PS3 didn't have much of anything and Wii had Twilight Princess so there was that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Lol, this never happened.
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts
Good to see sheep finally admitting nintengodno games suck
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15583 Posts

It's the only Zelda that  I put down and stopped playing, and have absolutely no desire to go back and finish. I hated it.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LegatoSkyheart

Good to see sheep finally admitting nintengodno games suckTheKingIAm

Who said their games sucked? :?

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

It's a pretty good game, but it is a terrible Zelda game. I feel like the GS review gave it about the right score.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#45 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

It was an awesome game, but not the best Zelda.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Finally, a Zelda game everyone--even the OoT fanboys--can agree was worse than Twilight Princess.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#47 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

I'm 100% sure more people would have liked it if it had realistic graphics.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

I couldn't get into it.  The Wiimote and Nunchuck ruined it for me.   The controls were too frustrating.

farrell2k

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#49 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

The forum seems to be very divided on whether the games sucks or is a good game. in the voting thread, many people voted for Skyward Sword. But in other Nintendo related threads it's different. When someone mentions the game it gets called sub-par, especially when it is compared to other Zelda games or action-adventure games. So if you like or hate the game, I am curious as to how and why you reached the decision.NationProtector
I liked it, but it's a far cry from what zelda used to be.

The flying around on your bird sucks. Where you fly is void of anything interesting. Backtracking through the same dungeons was a bad developing decision. The part of the game when you find and collect those stupid little spirit balls sucked sh!t. The game lacked a open world feel, or a central map like Orcarina of Time, heck even A Link to the Past has more of a open world and it's old as fwck.

It's still a good game, but like I said doesnt live up to the greatness of previous Zelda games.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

I'm 100% sure more people would have liked it if it had realistic graphics.

93BlackHawk93

Totally 100 percent true.  3-4 years from now when the new Zelda comes out, people will speak on how fantastic SS was.  It happens with every major Zelda title since MM.  So annoying, people honestly can't take anything for face vaule. 

I think the community of Zelda is Zelda's true problem.  It just can't escape the grasp of OoT and every game feels like gamers wan't that re-visited experience with completely different skin.  This is why its not possible to please the entire fanbase.  They are torn.Â