Lets have a moment of silence for 2012 - one of the lousiest years in gaming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

But it's hard to keep up with all of the smaller releases! :cry:

All I have to do is look at what they did to the MP.

DarkLink77

What'd they do to it? All it looks like is they added a few more options for the loadouts over Reach.

Other than that it looks like Halo which means it's guaranteed awesome.

They took it too far. But that's just me. Now that Bungie is no longer working on the series, I don't care what happens to it.

I'm sure Halo will remain, by far, the most high-quality shooter series on consoles.

It's not enough to just look at the surface of an FPS game. Halo has always had some of the best map design of any multiplayer shooter which rewards teamwork to gain map control, and weapon control, and the variety of weapons has always kept the gameplay incredibly dynamic and ever-changing. To top off that the devs actually playtest the game to make sure spawns aren't broken, power weapons remain scarce enough to not be broken, and my favorite is that weapon balance is actually a thing.

As long as Halo 4 retains these qualities then the small addition they made to loadouts shouldn't do much to hamper the experience.

I should be doing 4 player co-op next friday, and I can't wait. I'm sure multiplayer will follow soon afterwards.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#252 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
As long as Halo 4 retains these qualities then the small addition they made to loadouts shouldn't do much to hamper the experience.Ly_the_Fairy
You have no idea how much I hate loadouts. No idea.
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#253 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

What'd they do to it? All it looks like is they added a few more options for the loadouts over Reach.

Other than that it looks like Halo which means it's guaranteed awesome.

Ly_the_Fairy

Resistance 3 looked liked Resistance, but it was still a CoD ripoff.

Resistance is a terrible series, so you should be thankful it played more like CoD (though I also personally think CoD is a poor excuse for an FPS).

Resistance was one of the only FPS franchises spawned from this generation that had vision.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]As long as Halo 4 retains these qualities then the small addition they made to loadouts shouldn't do much to hamper the experience.DarkLink77

As long as they never get rid of weapon spawns in the map then I'm ok with it.

I mean just think of all the times in the older games where the default spawn was an assault rifle which put you at a pretty big disadvantage.

I only really dislike armor abilities because the equipment from Halo 3 was so much more fun, and lead to some pretty interesting battles like jumping out of the grav lifts on Valhalla, and throwing a power drain at a banshee. That way more fun than using armor abilities.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Resistance 3 looked liked Resistance, but it was still a CoD ripoff.

Master_ShakeXXX

Resistance is a terrible series, so you should be thankful it played more like CoD (though I also personally think CoD is a poor excuse for an FPS).

Resistance was one of the only FPS franchises spawned from this generation that had vision.

And what was that vision? Be as generic as possible? Have the most laughable main character ever? Take bad level design to the highest level it can go?

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Honestly indie games is where its at.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#257 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]As long as Halo 4 retains these qualities then the small addition they made to loadouts shouldn't do much to hamper the experience.Ly_the_Fairy

I mean just think of all the times in the older games where the default spawn was an assault rifle which put you at a pretty big disadvantage.

I only really dislike armor abilities because the equipment from Halo 3 was so much more fun, and lead to some pretty interesting battles like jumping out of the grav lifts on Valhalla, and throwing a power drain at a banshee. That way more fun than using armor abilities.

Meh. I'd still rather have everyone spawn with the same thing and have a balanced, skill-based game than copy crap from games that are worse. I preferred Armor Abilities because I knew everyone had one. Equipment could really screw you (regenerater) and most of them were useless anyway.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] You have no idea how much I hate loadouts. No idea.DarkLink77

Meh. I'd still rather have everyone spawn with the same thing and have a balanced, skill-based game than copy crap from games that are worse. I preferred Armor Abilities because I knew everyone had one. Equipment could really screw you (regenerater) and most of them were useless anyway.

I may not be the biggest Halo fan, but at least when I played in multiplayer, it felt consistant, no one had some edge over me or whatever, just because they picked a better loadout or were lucky enough to score a streak award of some kind. Weapons were balanced, and the minor changes in armor abilities kept everything varied, but on the same level. You gained the lead, not because of some lucky break with some sort of given adventage, you won because you skillfully outplayed them.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Ly_the_Fairy

And what was that vision?

To be... awesome.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] You have no idea how much I hate loadouts. No idea.DarkLink77

Yah, but everyone spawning with the same thing is what lead to imbalance in the earlier games. If you died in a fight you'd just respawn with an assault rifle, and at that point good luck fighting the people who had battle rifles.

If you give everyone the option to pick what they want to respawn with then nobody should have any distinct advantage because as long as you're playing with the guns you want then it's tailor-made to your playstyle, and shouldn't limit your contributions in a firefight.

Equipment was random which I'm sure is why it was removed, but I'd have just preferred if you could see the equipment on a character, so you'd know if they had something. They just added so much to the Halo gameplay that I loved because just like controlling the maps for weapons you'd also try to control the equipment, and you'd change your entire strategy of battle on the fly depending on whatt random equipment someone uses.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Master_ShakeXXX

To be... awesome.

I don't know what FPS games you played prior to Resistance that got you to think that way, but know that I feel sorry for you. You've missed out on so much:cry:

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Ly_the_Fairy

To be... awesome.

I don't know what FPS games you played prior to Resistance that got you to think that way, but know that I feel sorry for you. You've missed out on so much:cry:

Well it's true man. R1 and R2, back in their prime, were the absolute best competitive multiplayer games available on PS3. They were the system's answer to Halo. Sure they've been outdone now (by Battlefield 3 only) but they stand as testament to FPS excellence. And the campaigns weren't no slouch either.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

To be... awesome.

Master_ShakeXXX

Well it's true man. R1 and R2, back in their prime, were the absolute best competitive multiplayer games available on PS3. They were the system's answer to Halo. Sure they've been outdone now (by Battlefield 3 only) but they stand as testament to FPS excellence. And the campaigns weren't no slouch either.

I just don't think I can trust a person's opinion on FPS excellence when they've never owned an Xbox, and they have barely scratched the surface of PC gaming :P

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Ly_the_Fairy

I just don't think I can trust a person's opinion on FPS excellence when they've never owned an Xbox, and they have barely scratched the surface of PC gaming :P

Whether you believe it or not, despite my obvious Playstation fanboyism, I have played most of the Halos extensively (not ODST and Reach, because they suck). Most of my life long friends are lems, which has granted me the opportunity to experience many of the Xbox exclusives. I'm still working through a lot of PC FPS that I've missed out on in my life, but thus far I haven't been blown away by anything. Cryostasis was pretty good and Half-Life 2 seems like a charmer thus far :?

If it makes you feel any better I consider Halo CE and 2 to be two of the best FPS I've ever played.

Z-Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 Z-Fatalis
Member since 2012 • 1058 Posts

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

To be... awesome.

Master_ShakeXXX

Pretty much this, at the time of release both games wereactually great

UnrealLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#267 UnrealLegend
Member since 2009 • 5888 Posts

The only games this year that have caught my interest are Sleeping Dogs and AC3.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
X-Com alone stands to disagree.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Z-Fatalis

Pretty much this, at the time of release both games wereactually great

Pity the franchise is probably never coming back. :(

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#270 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Whether you believe it or not, despite my obvious Playstation fanboyism, I have played most of the Halos extensively (not ODST and Reach, because they suck). Most of my life long friends are lems, which has granted me the opportunity to experience many of the Xbox exclusives. I'm still working through a lot of PC FPS that I've missed out on in my life, but thus far I haven't been blown away by anything. Cryostasis was pretty good and Half-Life 2 seems like a charmer thus far :?

If it makes you feel any better I consider Halo CE and 2 to be two of the best FPS I've ever played.

Which PC FPSes have you played thus far?
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#271 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
X-Com alone stands to disagree. skrat_01
Have you got it? Wanna know how it is from a friendly source.
Priapus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Priapus101
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

As a PC gamer 2012 has been a stellar year and certainly beats the last few years :)

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#273 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]X-Com alone stands to disagree. FrozenLiquid

haven't heard anything bad so far, even yahtzee likes it :P
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#274 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

As a PC gamer 2012 has been a stellar year and certainly beats the last few years :)

Priapus101
but master shake's PS3 didn't have anything all year, so it must have sucked!
Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

Dragon's Dogma, Sleeping Dogs, X-Com, Dishonored, ACIII, Halo 4, The Darkness 2, Max Pyne 3, MassEffect 3(as bad as the ending was), Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, Guild Wars 2....yup horrible year.

COVAtheNOVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 COVAtheNOVA
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

It has been a pretty awesome year and it isn't even done yet. Not to mention the Wii U is on the way.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

FrozenLiquid

Which PC FPSes have you played thus far?

More recent ones? Cryostasis, Killing Floor, Crysis Warhead, and Tribes Ascend.

I've played some classics back in the day like Doom, AvP, and Heavy Gear.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Never got what was so great about Battlefield 3. So far I've found the campaign remarkably dull.
slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

Never got what was so great about Battlefield 3. So far I've found the campaign remarkably dull.PannicAtack

You're playing single player mode, not designed for you mind, in a multiplayer game.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Priapus101"]

BrunoBRS

I have a PC, you dope.

And it wasn't just a sh*tty year for PS3. All of the consoles had a terrible year. 360's just so happend to be the least terrible of the bunch.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#281 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Never got what was so great about Battlefield 3. So far I've found the campaign remarkably dull.PannicAtack
Playing BF3 just for the campaign is a huge mistake...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#282 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46718 Posts

[QUOTE="Priapus101"]

BrunoBRS

Biased view so it must be the worst gaming year ever... :o

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#283 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Oh well? Suddenly not having to spend more money is bad.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]X-Com alone stands to disagree. FrozenLiquid

Aye aye I do! It's great. Despite its faults excellent even. Has some noticeable bugs, and it could tutorialise certain things better, but damn it's good.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Oh look another one of your overreaction threads...

Xenoblade

Tales

Mass Effect 3

Borderlands 2

Assassins creed 3

Man oh man this year sucked..../sarcasm

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#286 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Oh look another one of your overreaction threads...

Xenoblade

Tales

Mass Effect 3

Borderlands 2

Assassins creed 3

Man oh man this year sucked..../sarcasm

fueled-system

Usually good years of gaming have way more good games than that!