Kojima is the epitome of delusional

This topic is locked from further discussion.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

[QUOTE="m25105"][QUOTE="HailCaesarHail"]

obviously you didnt play mgs 3 , so stop lying. not solid snake but naked snake. now go away.

Zero_epyon

I did actually, if I don't remember the stupid story and confuse one snake with another than forgive me, I don't pay attention to soap operas either and they got similar story lines. I don't think I'm alone and reading this thread I can confirm that there are other people that find the story telling confusing. Me? I stopped giving a rats behind and didn't bother with MSG 4.

Then why are you in a thread that's comparing stories if you skipped through one of them?

Because this thread is about Kojima failing as a story teller and I concur. If a person finds the story so boring that he spams X to skip it, then clearly it is a sign of failed story telling. Hell, Diablo had much much much less dialouge, but its story was far more intriguing.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I did actually, if I don't remember the stupid story and confuse one snake with another than forgive me, I don't pay attention to soap operas either and they got similar story lines. I don't think I'm alone and reading this thread I can confirm that there are other people that find the story telling confusing. Me? I stopped giving a rats behind and didn't bother with MSG 4. m25105

Well ofcourse there are. Be it story, gameplay or visuals, there is no such thing as a universal appealing game. It's only natural for a good number of people to not like the story, or anything els from the franchise.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20220 Posts

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"][QUOTE="m25105"] I did actually, if I don't remember the stupid story and confuse one snake with another than forgive me, I don't pay attention to soap operas either and they got similar story lines. I don't think I'm alone and reading this thread I can confirm that there are other people that find the story telling confusing. Me? I stopped giving a rats behind and didn't bother with MSG 4. m25105

Then why are you in a thread that's comparing stories if you skipped through one of them?

Because this thread is about Kojima failing as a story teller and I concur. If a person finds the story so boring that he spams X to skip it, then clearly it is a sign of failed story telling. Hell, Diablo had much much much less dialouge, but its story was far more intriguing.

Now is it boring because of the story or boring because you're lost and don't know what's going on? I started at MGS 2 and got lost half way. I looked up the story line for MGS1 and it all made sense afterwards. All other games fell into place and MGS 4 tied everything together perfectly. And again, how can you tell if storytelling is bad when you're skipping the story?
HailCaesarHail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 HailCaesarHail
Member since 2010 • 814 Posts

[QUOTE="HailCaesarHail"]

[QUOTE="m25105"] Kojima is a boring story teller, I grew bored very fast in MGS 2 on the PS2 with that Raiden guy. Hell I stopped paying attention when they started talking about the lalelulala something. I gave MGS 3 a chance cause it was Solid Snake, but again the boring preachy storing telling just distracted me. I found myself spamming the X button in order to skip cut scenes. You are wrong if you think he's a good storyteller and maybe you should also try reading a book.

m25105

obviously you didnt play mgs 3 , so stop lying. not solid snake but naked snake. now go away.

I did actually, if I don't remember the stupid story and confuse one snake with another than forgive me, I don't pay attention to soap operas either and they got similar story lines. I don't think I'm alone and reading this thread I can confirm that there are other people that find the story telling confusing. Me? I stopped giving a rats behind and didn't bother with MSG 4.

a likely story, lol.

BedBugMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 BedBugMan
Member since 2010 • 313 Posts
I think Kojma is a bit overrated. Sure, the MGS franchise was excellent, but seriously his storytelling abilities are WAAAAAY overrated. There's no need for that many damn cutscenes showing what are basically slide show presentations over a voice over going into heavy detail about the story. I used to cringe when those would come on. Seriously, a buzz kill.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 m25105
[QUOTE="m25105"]

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"] Then why are you in a thread that's comparing stories if you skipped through one of them? Zero_epyon

Now is it boring because of the story or boring because you're lost and don't know what's going on? I started at MGS 2 and got lost half way. I looked up the story line for MGS1 and it all made sense afterwards. All other games fell into place and MGS 4 tied everything together perfectly. And again, how can you tell if storytelling is bad when you're skipping the story?

Because a good story teller lets you know what happens previously. Hmmm let's see I think I played MGS the first one on the PC. That was after I played MGS 2 on the PS2. To his credit, the story telling in MGS was actually good and I paid attention to it. MGS was the one in that ehmm snowy place with that big native american guy who had a crow fetish, right? MGS 2, I hated it very fast. That Raiden guy was very annoying and when they started talking about that laleluala/whatever I just stopped caring. In MGS 3 I saw the cover and saw it was Snake (yes yes, not the same snake, but whatever, he had a beard and looked the exact same way as Solid Snake). So I bought it, to my regret and hoped I was in for something better than MGS 2. At first it seemed cool, running about in Jungles eating snakes. Then ofc.... cut scenes... and more cut scenes. And in the end. I didn't even bother completing it (something I did with MGS and MGS 2).
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 m25105

HailCaesarHail

a likely story, lol.

I'll go cry myself to sleep because some guy on the internet doesn't believe I didn't play MGS 3.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50652 Posts
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="m25105"] Kojima is a boring story teller, I grew bored very fast in MGS 2 on the PS2 with that Raiden guy. Hell I stopped paying attention when they started talking about the lalelulala something. I gave MGS 3 a chance cause it was Solid Snake, but again the boring preachy storing telling just distracted me. I found myself spamming the X button in order to skip cut scenes. You are wrong if you think he's a good storyteller and maybe you should also try reading a book.

m25105

MGS3 was not Solid Snake lol.

You sir, are the one mistaken.

See that shows much I cared. I bought the game cause I thought it was cool to sneak around in a game version of Snake Plisskin, instead I got anime characters whining and talking 15min straight.

Dude, you didn't even know who the protagonist was. There wasn't any whining and now they're like anime characters? lol, ok....
BedBugMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 BedBugMan
[QUOTE="HailCaesarHail"]

[QUOTE="m25105"] I did actually, if I don't remember the stupid story and confuse one snake with another than forgive me, I don't pay attention to soap operas either and they got similar story lines. I don't think I'm alone and reading this thread I can confirm that there are other people that find the story telling confusing. Me? I stopped giving a rats behind and didn't bother with MSG 4. m25105

a likely story, lol.

I'll go cry myself to sleep because some guy on the internet doesn't believe I didn't play MGS 3.

In this guy's defense, just because he wasnt sure about Naked Snake vs Solid Snake, doesnt mean he didnt play MGS3. Just means he didnt care enough about the story for it to be rememberable. I've played every MGS and I've beaten all of them but 3, and even I couldnt tell you all the characters and their involvement and the yada, yada. The story became overly complicated... the games would have been better if they had summed up the story in the games cutscenes, and left out the heavy detail for a book or something... or the player manual... or something. Basically there was a better way to tell that story than to make players suffer through 20 minute cutscene narratives.
RawDeal_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 RawDeal_basic
Member since 2002 • 1959 Posts

I can't believe people are still mad that MGS4 scored a 10, especially pc gamers. This was pretty evident in the recent thread about Kojima's comments towards Crysis. Hermits were on that thread like flys on ****. Yeah, MGS4's story isn't the best out there, but it's better than most games released today, that's for sure.

Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Indie_Hitman
Member since 2008 • 2457 Posts

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"][QUOTE="m25105"]

m25105

Because a good story teller lets you know what happens previously. Hmmm let's see I think I played MGS the first one on the PC. That was after I played MGS 2 on the PS2. To his credit, the story telling in MGS was actually good and I paid attention to it. MGS was the one in that ehmm snowy place with that big native american guy who had a crow fetish, right? MGS 2, I hated it very fast. That Raiden guy was very annoying and when they started talking about that laleluala/whatever I just stopped caring. In MGS 3 I saw the cover and saw it was Snake (yes yes, not the same snake, but whatever, he had a beard and looked the exact same way as Solid Snake). So I bought it, to my regret and hoped I was in for something better than MGS 2. At first it seemed cool, running about in Jungles eating snakes. Then ofc.... cut scenes... and more cut scenes. And in the end. I didn't even bother completing it (something I did with MGS and MGS 2).

MGS3 and MGS1 are the best ones due to their simpler stories. It's in MGS2 and 4 where everything has become quite convoluted and you really have to pay attention to details. I don't think Kojima's necessarily a bad writer, I think he just got a bit carried away with 2 and 4. Though, that may go against your defintion of a good writer, so it all depends on how you define it. I don't really have a clue vision of what a good writer is as there a lot of variables, but if someone could provide a (mostly) infallible definition, that would be good. Also, yes I spelt grammar wrong earlier, but to be fair - I never actually said my grammar was fine.... Plus It's spelt analyse in the UK. It's only in America where there's this weird fetish of replacing as many words containing s with z as possible. Hell, even Laser is spelt with a z in the US, and that's an acronym XD.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

umad? Not everyone can be an expert at storytelling and make lots of money like Kojima. MGS has some of the best storytelling out of all mediums of entertainment, anyone who has played MGS3 knows this.

HailCaesarHail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 HailCaesarHail

[QUOTE="HailCaesarHail"]

[QUOTE="m25105"] I did actually, if I don't remember the stupid story and confuse one snake with another than forgive me, I don't pay attention to soap operas either and they got similar story lines. I don't think I'm alone and reading this thread I can confirm that there are other people that find the story telling confusing. Me? I stopped giving a rats behind and didn't bother with MSG 4. m25105

a likely story, lol.

an expected comment aswell, you are butthurt get over it. lol.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Chutebox

a likely story, lol.

BedBugMan

In this guy's defense, just because he wasnt sure about Naked Snake vs Solid Snake, doesnt mean he didnt play MGS3. Just means he didnt care enough about the story for it to be rememberable. I've played every MGS and I've beaten all of them but 3, and even I couldnt tell you all the characters and their involvement and the yada, yada. The story became overly complicated... the games would have been better if they had summed up the story in the games cutscenes, and left out the heavy detail for a book or something... or the player manual... or something. Basically there was a better way to tell that story than to make players suffer through 20 minute cutscene narratives.

MGS3 taking place in 1964 (or around there) should have rang a bell.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 m25105

a likely story, lol.

HailCaesarHail

an expected comment aswell, you are butthurt get over it. lol.

And you're delusional thinking anyone who questions or gets the storyline confused means he didn't play it.
BedBugMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 BedBugMan

umad? Not everyone can be an expert at storytelling and make lots of money like Kojima. MGS has some of the best storytelling out of all mediums of entertainment, anyone who has played MGS3 knows this.

StealthMonkey4
I think the game could do without half of the BS that is spewed during the game and it would have been just fine. I mean for crying out loud, isnt there MGS4 database on the PS Store so you can figure out all the details of the story? It's THAT complicated.
suitmypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 suitmypants
Member since 2004 • 1015 Posts

I can't believe people are still mad that MGS4 scored a 10, especially pc gamers. This was pretty evident in the recent thread about Kojima's comments towards Crysis. Hermits were on that thread like flys on ****. Yeah, MGS4's story isn't the best out there, but it's better than most games released today, that's for sure.

RawDeal_basic

this thread has nothing to do with MGS4 scoring a 10. It's how Kojima is a terrible story writer and how he is critiquing another company for making horrible story lines. For all I can say, the only person who has the right to critique anyone in story is Alex Garland. (but this is debatable but not in this debate)

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Chutebox

[QUOTE="RawDeal_basic"]

suitmypants

this thread has nothing to do with MGS4 scoring a 10. It's how Kojima is a terrible story writer and how he is critiquing another company for making horrible story lines. For all I can say, the only person who has the right to critique anyone in story is Alex Garland. (but this is debatable but not in this debate)

Again, you're making things up. He never said horrible and he atually said the game was very fun to play. All he said was the story was cliche.

suitmypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 suitmypants
[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

BedBugMan
I think the game could do without half of the BS that is spewed during the game and it would have been just fine. I mean for crying out loud, isnt there MGS4 database on the PS Store so you can figure out all the details of the story? It's THAT complicated.

what this guy said
BedBugMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 BedBugMan

[QUOTE="BedBugMan"][QUOTE="m25105"] I'll go cry myself to sleep because some guy on the internet doesn't believe I didn't play MGS 3.Chutebox

Yeah, but I'm just saying. I can see how someone wouldnt pay attention to the story. Not to mention the game is 7 or 8 years old. Obviously, you cant be a real MGS fan and miss that fact, but you can be the casual MGS gamer and play the game without paying attention to the story. I know alot of people like that.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Lucianu

suitmypants

Lmao at the irony. It's Kojima's opinion, just as it's your and number of other people's opinion that Kojima is a terrible writter. Simple as that..

suitmypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 suitmypants

[QUOTE="suitmypants"]

[QUOTE="RawDeal_basic"]

Chutebox

Again, you're making things up. He never said horrible and he atually said the game was very fun to play. All he said was the story was cliche.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=fa&tl=en&u=http://gamefa.com/%3Fp%3D5307&act=url I am arguing that Kojima is claiming that Crisis is a terrible story when in fact, he is also a terrible story writer himself.
Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#73 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

Its not that MGS is convoluted or complex; its that the dialog is just terrible.

"Tell her I cooked them right" I'm sorry is the whole egg subplot supposed to be emotional or poignant? Instead it was so bad I wanted to kill myself.

Then you have the worst ending in gaming history with an hour long boring conversation.

I didn't think it was possible but Kojima is worse than George Lucas at writing dialog.

Whats worse than the terrible writing in MGS4 is the fact that there are people out there that actually think its good. Its a sad sad statement about gamers.

Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Indie_Hitman
[QUOTE="suitmypants"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="suitmypants"] this thread has nothing to do with MGS4 scoring a 10. It's how Kojima is a terrible story writer and how he is critiquing another company for making horrible story lines. For all I can say, the only person who has the right to critique anyone in story is Alex Garland. (but this is debatable but not in this debate)

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=fa&tl=en&u=http://gamefa.com/%3Fp%3D5307&act=url I am arguing that Kojima is claiming that Crisis is a terrible story when in fact, he is also a terrible story writer himself.

He didn't claim in the quote that he was agood writer though did he? I'm terrible at sports; that doesn't mean I can't tell whether someone can kick a ball or not.
trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
SO you don't like deep intricate stories, fine. If you enjoy the popcorn straight forward Hollywood storytelling that is fine. But don't talk as if telling a story that requires some effort from the reader as something bad.
Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Indie_Hitman
[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

Its not that MGS is convoluted or complex; its that the dialog is just terrible.

"Tell her I cooked them right" I'm sorry is the whole egg subplot supposed to be emotional or poignant? Instead it was so bad I wanted to kill myself.

Then you have the worst ending in gaming history with an hour long boring conversation.

I didn't think it was possible but Kojima is worse than George Lucas at writing dialog.

Whats worse than the terrible writing in MGS4 is the fact that there are people out there that actually think its good. Its a sad sad statement about gamers.

Wait, so it's just the dialogue that's terrible? Surely, then, this could be due to translation? I don't speak japanese, so maybe i'm wrong, but perhaps the way he writes doesn't translate well into english.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Lucianu

Mr_Ditters

Isn't the original titles in japanese though? Dubs generaly suck, regarding any medium, or language. That'll probably explain the bad dub english writting.

HailCaesarHail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 HailCaesarHail
Im am curious to what some people think is good writing in a video game? can you all please tell what great game story you think is better than MGS? and to the fella that said George Lucas is bad that is blasphemy, curse you! lol.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 m25105

SO you don't like deep intricate stories, fine. If you enjoy the popcorn straight forward Hollywood storytelling that is fine. But don't talk as if telling a story that requires some effort from the reader as something bad. trasherhead
If I want a good story I'll read a book.

Edit: Or play Grim Fandango.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

[QUOTE="BedBugMan"][QUOTE="m25105"] I'll go cry myself to sleep because some guy on the internet doesn't believe I didn't play MGS 3.Chutebox

In a game about cloned super soldiers,mad sentient arms, huge super-robots, vampires, government conspiracies about conspiracies, is it that hard to believe a guy can look the same through the decades?

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Lucianu

[QUOTE="trasherhead"]SO you don't like deep intricate stories, fine. If you enjoy the popcorn straight forward Hollywood storytelling that is fine. But don't talk as if telling a story that requires some effort from the reader as something bad. m25105

Don't forget about Deus Ex, Xenogears and Planescape Torment. Greatest stories ever told.

Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Indie_Hitman

[QUOTE="trasherhead"]SO you don't like deep intricate stories, fine. If you enjoy the popcorn straight forward Hollywood storytelling that is fine. But don't talk as if telling a story that requires some effort from the reader as something bad. m25105

But if you want a good story told through the medium of video games...
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 m25105
Im am curious to what some people think is good writing in a video game? can you all please tell what great game story you think is better than MGS? and to the fella that said George Lucas is bad that is blasphemy, curse you! lol.HailCaesarHail
Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Fallout (the first one), Monkey Island, Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 m25105

[QUOTE="m25105"]

[QUOTE="trasherhead"]SO you don't like deep intricate stories, fine. If you enjoy the popcorn straight forward Hollywood storytelling that is fine. But don't talk as if telling a story that requires some effort from the reader as something bad. Lucianu

Don't forget about Deus Ex, Xenogears and Planescape Torment. Greatest stories ever told.

I really need to try that one Planescape Torment.
Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#85 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

Indie_Hitman

Wait, so it's just the dialogue that's terrible? Surely, then, this could be due to translation? I don't speak japanese, so maybe i'm wrong, but perhaps the way he writes doesn't translate well into english.

No dialog is just the worst part. I don't think that Kojima can fall back on the translation excuse. If you just take a rough outline of the story, its still bad, e.g. all of the egg nonsense, the wedding, the interruptions in the flow of the story for a 30 minute lecture about why a supermodel turned evil, the crapping of pants...etc.

There are plenty of Japanese games and movies out there that do just fine in spite of being translated. Enough of the real MGS4 makes it through into English to realize that it sucks in Japanese too.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#86 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Is there anyone with a proper translation of what Kojima actually said? I read that article through Google Translate, and I didn't really understand what he was trying to say.

Either way, anyone who plays Crysis for the storyline is doing it wrong. It is a masterpiece in terms of bothtechnology and game design. I'm more than happy to take its crappy story for granted.

Never really played Metal Gear Solid, so I can't comment on Kojima's writing skills.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"][QUOTE="m25105"]

m25105

MGS 2 does explain some events of MGS1, and in fact *spoliers*, repeats repeats those events in a different setting for the new character. Then it's explained why those events took place at the end. Then Kojima makes a 3rd game explaining the origins of the story and character, only to wrap it up in part 4. I think the problem people have is that they expect the story to be like every other story, beginning, middle, cliffhanger, then recap in the sequel. Since MGS isn't like this it makes the average gamer confused because the structure is different. Therefore, they get lost and lose interest in what's going on. That is not poor story telling, that is a person who adapts poorly to change.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#88 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

MGS has a rather inane story to begin with, I agree with TC and Kojima's overly pretentious storytelling.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#89 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts
kojima is the master of storytelling, i feel sorry for people to stupid to follow MGS.HailCaesarHail
or maybe it's just bad.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 m25105

[QUOTE="m25105"][QUOTE="Zero_epyon"] Now is it boring because of the story or boring because you're lost and don't know what's going on? I started at MGS 2 and got lost half way. I looked up the story line for MGS1 and it all made sense afterwards. All other games fell into place and MGS 4 tied everything together perfectly. And again, how can you tell if storytelling is bad when you're skipping the story?Zero_epyon

MGS 2 does explain some events of MGS1, and in fact *spoliers*, repeats repeats those events in a different setting for the new character. Then it's explained why those events took place at the end. Then Kojima makes a 3rd game explaining the origins of the story and character, only to wrap it up in part 4. I think the problem people have is that they expect the story to be like every other story, beginning, middle, cliffhanger, then recap in the sequel. Since MGS isn't like this it makes the average gamer confused because the structure is different. Therefore, they get lost and lose interest in what's going on. That is not poor story telling, that is a person who adapts poorly to change.

A developer should make games for the gamers, not his own sense of what he percieves as art, especially when that art fails to connect with people.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Zero_epyon
[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"]

[QUOTE="m25105"] Because a good story teller lets you know what happens previously. Hmmm let's see I think I played MGS the first one on the PC. That was after I played MGS 2 on the PS2. To his credit, the story telling in MGS was actually good and I paid attention to it. MGS was the one in that ehmm snowy place with that big native american guy who had a crow fetish, right? MGS 2, I hated it very fast. That Raiden guy was very annoying and when they started talking about that laleluala/whatever I just stopped caring. In MGS 3 I saw the cover and saw it was Snake (yes yes, not the same snake, but whatever, he had a beard and looked the exact same way as Solid Snake). So I bought it, to my regret and hoped I was in for something better than MGS 2. At first it seemed cool, running about in Jungles eating snakes. Then ofc.... cut scenes... and more cut scenes. And in the end. I didn't even bother completing it (something I did with MGS and MGS 2). m25105

A developer should make games for the gamers, not his own sense of what he percieves as art, especially when that art fails to connect with people.

Games are art. And like all art, there will always be people who don't like it. Does it necessarily mean that the artist is doing something wrong?
BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"]

[QUOTE="m25105"] Because a good story teller lets you know what happens previously. Hmmm let's see I think I played MGS the first one on the PC. That was after I played MGS 2 on the PS2. To his credit, the story telling in MGS was actually good and I paid attention to it. MGS was the one in that ehmm snowy place with that big native american guy who had a crow fetish, right? MGS 2, I hated it very fast. That Raiden guy was very annoying and when they started talking about that laleluala/whatever I just stopped caring. In MGS 3 I saw the cover and saw it was Snake (yes yes, not the same snake, but whatever, he had a beard and looked the exact same way as Solid Snake). So I bought it, to my regret and hoped I was in for something better than MGS 2. At first it seemed cool, running about in Jungles eating snakes. Then ofc.... cut scenes... and more cut scenes. And in the end. I didn't even bother completing it (something I did with MGS and MGS 2). m25105

Kojima thinks video games are not art.

suitmypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 suitmypants
Im am curious to what some people think is good writing in a video game? can you all please tell what great game story you think is better than MGS? and to the fella that said George Lucas is bad that is blasphemy, curse you! lol.HailCaesarHail
Mafia 1. It features a story that has unique characters. And best of yet, the protagonist has a character flaw. And for those who do not know what a character flaw is, it's where a character is blind to him/herself (for example: They get wrapped up in greed or they become too prideful). It's realistic and features characters that are relatable and real (they deal with actual problems like family issues/paranoia). If you have not played it, then I highly recommend giving it a go to see how story telling should work.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 m25105

[QUOTE="m25105"][QUOTE="Zero_epyon"] MGS 2 does explain some events of MGS1, and in fact *spoliers*, repeats repeats those events in a different setting for the new character. Then it's explained why those events took place at the end. Then Kojima makes a 3rd game explaining the origins of the story and character, only to wrap it up in part 4. I think the problem people have is that they expect the story to be like every other story, beginning, middle, cliffhanger, then recap in the sequel. Since MGS isn't like this it makes the average gamer confused because the structure is different. Therefore, they get lost and lose interest in what's going on. That is not poor story telling, that is a person who adapts poorly to change.

BigBoss154

Kojima thinks video games are not art.

So he think games are like films then?
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Zero_epyon
[QUOTE="HailCaesarHail"]Im am curious to what some people think is good writing in a video game? can you all please tell what great game story you think is better than MGS? and to the fella that said George Lucas is bad that is blasphemy, curse you! lol.suitmypants
Mafia 1. It features a story that has unique characters. And best of yet, the protagonist has a character flaw. And for those who do not know what a character flaw is, it's where a character is blind to him/herself (for example: They get wrapped up in greed or they become too prideful). It's realistic and features characters that are relatable and real (they deal with actual problems like family issues/paranoia). If you have not played it, then I highly recommend giving it a go to see how story telling should work.

Same in Mafia 2. However, MGS characters ALL have their issues.
babyeatermax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 babyeatermax
Member since 2010 • 272 Posts

Mr_Ditters
That wasn't a subplot. The way the eggs are cooked at the beginning of every briefing foreshadow the events of the following act. Dat symbolism. Kojima's genius flew right over your head.
HailCaesarHail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 HailCaesarHail
[QUOTE="HailCaesarHail"]Im am curious to what some people think is good writing in a video game? can you all please tell what great game story you think is better than MGS? and to the fella that said George Lucas is bad that is blasphemy, curse you! lol.suitmypants

ohh another mafia story, how original.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="BedBugMan"] In this guy's defense, just because he wasnt sure about Naked Snake vs Solid Snake, doesnt mean he didnt play MGS3. Just means he didnt care enough about the story for it to be rememberable. I've played every MGS and I've beaten all of them but 3, and even I couldnt tell you all the characters and their involvement and the yada, yada. The story became overly complicated... the games would have been better if they had summed up the story in the games cutscenes, and left out the heavy detail for a book or something... or the player manual... or something. Basically there was a better way to tell that story than to make players suffer through 20 minute cutscene narratives. -Snooze-

In a game about cloned super soldiers,mad sentient arms, huge super-robots, vampires, government conspiracies about conspiracies, is it that hard to believe a guy can look the same through the decades?

Dude, not knowing who the protagonist is just....come on. If you don't even know who the protagonist is you're not even trying to care.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="suitmypants"][QUOTE="HailCaesarHail"] ohh another mafia story, how original.HailCaesarHail
[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

babyeatermax

That wasn't a subplot. The way the eggs are cooked at the beginning of every briefing foreshadow the events of the following act. Dat symbolism. Kojima's genius flew right over your head.

When I saw the yolk break I though Oh crap, bad stuff is about to go down.