Just How Badly Did The PS4 And Switch Outsell The Xbox One This Generation?

• 108 results
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

With all this talk about the coming race between the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, I thought it might be time to take a look back and remember what happened this past generation in the console race, and how that might inform the future.

Microsoft, to its credit, has done a great job promoting the Xbox Series X so far with its tremendous horsepower and attractive ideas like buying a last-gen game and getting a next-gen upgrade for free. Sony, meanwhile, has been far more secretive about the PS5, and Microsoft is clearly hoping that they will be able to level the playing field this upcoming generation.

But they have a lot of ground to make up.

While most people may realize that the PS4 “won” this console generation, I don’t think many realize just by what kind of margin.

While these numbers are difficult to parse because Microsoft stopped releasing Xbox unit sales, we have solid estimates from many third parties or other game developers like EA. As it stands, we are about to wrap up the console race with the following totals:

PS4 (released in 2013): 108.9 million

Nintendo Switch (released in 2017): 52.48 million

Xbox One (released in 2013): 46.9 million (estimated)

So, in short, the PS4 has outsold the Xbox One by more than a two-to-one margin, and the Switch has already passed Xbox One in sales despite being released a full four years later.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/05/05/just-how-badly-did-the-ps4-and-switch-outsell-the-xbox-one-this-generation/#834262a5b0c5

I don't think MS will do much better this comming generation,power will just not save you from failure,and i think MS has an even bigger chanllenge in its hands and it may not even come from the PS5,but from lockhart it self,it was proven this gen that people will not go for the most powerful model if the gap in price is to big.

I don't think MS can sell a Lockhart for $399 with 4TF and a series X for $100 more with 12TF,lockhart will probably be $299 which will create a serious problem for the series X,i mean how you can attack the competition without stepping on your own even weaker model,worse if the PS5 end up costing $399 or $449.

I my self still mantain my opinion the xbox brand simply isn't on equal footing vs the PS brand,and i think that will carry a great cost still.

By the way damn the switch will probably outsell both the PS5 and series X for the first 2 or 3 years like the PS2 did with the xbox 360 and PS3.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45108 Posts

Meltdown thread in 3...2....1..

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Last thread tormy talks about how lems are unhappy with the power of the SeX and now he's going the sales route, and no matter how many threads he makes to try and damage control, the PS5 is only 9.2tf, oh sorry my bad 10.2 lol.

This meltdown will be as good as his others i'm going to grab me some popcorn

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

Honestly, no sane gamer would get an Xbone. The Switch is the perfect console, the PS4 owns it with exclusives. The numbers demonstrate such. Oh but, "bu bu Gampass at $1 bargain bin 10 million users... CRY CRY"

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Technically... isn't Switch the same gen as PS5 and XSeX?

Nintendo failed so bad they needed an early retry.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I guess tv, sports and COD wasn't enough.

Loading Video...

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

Nintendo isn't in the same generational flow as Xbox and switch. They have different general target audiences etc

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

And to think that I actually have an Xbox One and have very much enjoyed it along with a multitude of games on it this gen. I must reflect on this very troubling bit of news. Reflect indeed. 🤔

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@virusvaccine21 said:

Honestly, no sane gamer would get an Xbone. The Switch is the perfect console, the PS4 owns it with exclusives. The numbers demonstrate such. Oh but, "bu bu Gampass at $1 bargain bin 10 million users... CRY CRY"

Let the butthurt of MS & Xbox existing flow through you cow alt lol.

KazHirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KazHirai
Member since 2019 • 433 Posts

What's with these people always diminishing numbers when they've been known for months? Turning on their gods when it's convenient lol. It was estimated at over 50 million 4 months ago.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Holy shit this 9.2tflops has seriously damaged his brain, and its Sony who did this to him.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11091 Posts

Jesus, Xbox got the ever lovin' life stomped out of it. And they think their fortunes are going to change next gen. Hell, things might get even worse. They can come up with all the bullshit active users to hide behind the shitty unit sales they want to. The truth is, they got a hell of a hill to climb.

KazHirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KazHirai

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Jesus, Xbox got the ever lovin' life stomped out of it. And they think their fortunes are going to change next gen. Hell, things might get even worse. They can come up with all the bullshit active users to hide behind the shitty unit sales they want to. The truth is, they got a hell of a hill to climb.

You'd say this same stupid comment if they sold 90 million, you're a moron.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tormentos

@warmblur said:

I guess tv, sports and COD wasn't enough.

Loading Video...

Man i watch that shit and always is like i am wathing it for the first time,the xbox one really was so pathetic it wasn't even funny.

MS really though that Call of duty would save them,and activision abandon them the very next year.🤣

And watching Phill talking about TV and sports is the icing with so many lemmings who believe he has chang the xbox brand,when in reality his is like the grimm ripper,slowing making those lemmings migrate to PC before killing the xbox for good.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BenjaminBanklin

@kazhirai said:

You'd say this same stupid comment if they sold 90 million, you're a moron.

But they didn't sell anywhere close to 90 million. You and your crybaby stupid gimmick can kiss my ass, Xbox got steamrolled and that's facts.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tormentos

@kazhirai said:

What's with these people always diminishing numbers when they've been known for months? Turning on their gods when it's convenient lol. It was estimated at over 50 million 4 months ago.

50 million SHIPPED not SOLD.

Shipped to retailers is not the same as sold,and MS has an uggly habit of stuffing the channels specially in chrismast,so that it appear they move allot but in reality they didn't.

So true was this that they shipped 3.9 million units on launch and 900k went unsold and affected future shipments to the point of stopping new shipments until retailers clear stocks, by december 2014 they stuffed the channels so bad with the ACU bundles and to be able to claim 10 million shipped and make look like they were close to the PS4,that in summer of next year still store were back with ACU bundles.

So yeah when it come to MS shipped don't = sold to consumer it never has.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Holy shit this 9.2tflops has seriously damaged his brain, and its Sony who did this to him.

Its not the end of the world for him. That mega SSD will be his saving grace.

KazHirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KazHirai

@tormentos said:
@kazhirai said:

50 million SHIPPED not SOLD.

Shipped to retailers is not the same as sold,and MS has an uggly habit of stuffing the channels specially in chrismast,so that it appear they move allot but in reality they didn't.

So true was this that they shipped 3.9 million units on launch and 900k went unsold and affected future shipments to the point of stopping new shipments until retailers clear stocks, by december 2014 they stuffed the channels so bad with the ACU bundles and to be able to claim 10 million shipped and make look like they were close to the PS4,that in summer of next year still store were back with ACU bundles.

So yeah when it come to MS shipped don't = sold to consumer it never has.

They use shipped synonymous with sold which is clear because the rest of the figures directly line up with the sold figures so the Xbox One's magically doesn't? Quit acting like you don't know this.

You're a terrible poster.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Not as bad as wii u, but bad MS isn’t even mentioning it

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

Torment still having his embarrassing meltdown huh? How many months has this been going on?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@BlackShirt20 said:

Torment still having his embarrassing meltdown huh? How many months has this been going on?

Tormeys meltdown will still be here long after the corona virus is gone, his meltdowns have been going on for 17yrs already lol.

He's too stupid to realise that the Switch is a next gen machine, so its sold 52 million more than SeX & his precious PS5

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

Think this is common knowledge, but perplexing is how despite having over double sales of PS4 over XB1 Sony still only holds a 10 million user lead in active users.

Dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dagubot
Member since 2020 • 421 Posts

The specs of the Xbox One X really shook Tormentos...wow...lol

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15917 Posts

Sony didn't just win Hardware but software as well. It sold 1.15 billion software in 6 years or 200 million software per year. It means plenty of games for players to choose for. Microsoft needs 1st party alongside improved 3rd party to entice gamers to come and play on Xbox. I'm sure next gen will be fun.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

We knew the Xbox One was not going to recover about 4 years ago. This message was repeated over and over and over and over again. All this thread is showing that you are still trying to find an angle to hide from that internal misery of next gen performance differences between the two.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

Pretty sure there was claims it would be more like 3/4 to 1 early in the generation.

Sony had it easy with Microsoft stupid launch.

That wont happen next gen.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#27 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Jesus christ. I did not realize the PS4 was THAT successful. Thats up there with the all-timers

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Sales and sad acts who think they are important HaH

You know what,I have a tv that cost more than my two consoles put together,it has features that are a million times more important to how a game looks/plays than how many units the 2 consoles plugged into it have sold,do I know or care how many tv in this model have sold?

NO..because I don’t give a shit HAH

Cow fannyboys and sales/profit = damage control because ps ain’t got DA POWER

HAH

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tormentos

@kazhirai:

No they use shipped because MS has always use shipped numbers.

Wait didn't you call Sony insecure and accuse them of been a scared snake?

Yeah I don't see you crying about MS hidding it's numbers for YEARS.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tormentos

@i_p_daily:

Na I see the switch as a Wii u pro but incompatible with the first model.

Which is why all sites compare it world wide in sales vs the PS4 and Xbox one and why Forbes did so as well.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@bluestars: If you would have said "HaH" just one more time I would have believed in what you were saying. So close.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

In other words, repeating what we’ve known for months now? Thank you.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: Thing is though they're climbing....Sony is on the edge of the hill.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Nintendonts this gen console, Wii U, failed so hard it got Nintendont stomped outta the console business and they're only avenue left was to go Handheld with the Bait & Switch sooo, false narrative...

lol :P

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

@vfighter:

I don’t want to piss on your chips, but your acceptance is not required in my factual statement Bless

HaH

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BenjaminBanklin

@sealionact said:

@BenjaminBanklin: Thing is though they're climbing....Sony is on the edge of the hill.

LOL! They've never been on the hill. Xbox made a climb last gen and then fell and broke their collective dicks. MS needs to take a cue from the Beatles and realize that money can't buy them love.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#37 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@sealionact said:

LOL! They've never been on the hill. Xbox made a climb last gen and then fell and broke their collective dicks. MS needs to take a cue from the Beatles and realize that money can't buy them love.

So, you are saying that its not possible for Xbox to succeed and Playstation to falter this time around?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7165 Posts

xbox is doing good

nin doing a little better

ps doing the best

in the end they all are doing fine. if Microsoft or xbox division was going bankrupted then maybe but there not. there making money. are they were they want to be no but there still doing good. phil is doing great.

i'm a sony fan but I can see and realize there not 3do numbers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@tormentos said:

@i_p_daily:

Na I see the switch as a Wii u pro but incompatible with the first model.

Which is why all sites compare it world wide in sales vs the PS4 and Xbox one and why Forbes did so as well.

Your opinion doesn't refute the facts that the Switch is a next gen console.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BenjaminBanklin

@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@sealionact said:

So, you are saying that its not possible for Xbox to succeed and Playstation to falter this time around?

I just don't see what can be different with Xbox this time around. I'm not even sure if Sony will perform the same, but, at least they have brand popularity in their corner for the rest of the world. Xbox is going to come out with an expensive system, a cheap box to counter that system, a streaming service, a sub service with their new first party games. They're trying to throw every strategy they have in the book out there and they're going to spread themselves thin.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 12956 Posts

@tormentos said:

With all this talk about the coming race between the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, I thought it might be time to take a look back and remember what happened this past generation in the console race, and how that might inform the future.

Microsoft, to its credit, has done a great job promoting the Xbox Series X so far with its tremendous horsepower and attractive ideas like buying a last-gen game and getting a next-gen upgrade for free. Sony, meanwhile, has been far more secretive about the PS5, and Microsoft is clearly hoping that they will be able to level the playing field this upcoming generation.

But they have a lot of ground to make up.

While most people may realize that the PS4 “won” this console generation, I don’t think many realize just by what kind of margin.

While these numbers are difficult to parse because Microsoft stopped releasing Xbox unit sales, we have solid estimates from many third parties or other game developers like EA. As it stands, we are about to wrap up the console race with the following totals:

PS4 (released in 2013): 108.9 million

Nintendo Switch (released in 2017): 52.48 million

Xbox One (released in 2013): 46.9 million (estimated)

So, in short, the PS4 has outsold the Xbox One by more than a two-to-one margin, and the Switch has already passed Xbox One in sales despite being released a full four years later.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/05/05/just-how-badly-did-the-ps4-and-switch-outsell-the-xbox-one-this-generation/#834262a5b0c5

I don't think MS will do much better this comming generation,power will just not save you from failure,and i think MS has an even bigger chanllenge in its hands and it may not even come from the PS5,but from lockhart it self,it was proven this gen that people will not go for the most powerful model if the gap in price is to big.

I don't think MS can sell a Lockhart for $399 with 4TF and a series X for $100 more with 12TF,lockhart will probably be $299 which will create a serious problem for the series X,i mean how you can attack the competition without stepping on your own even weaker model,worse if the PS5 end up costing $399 or $449.

I my self still mantain my opinion the xbox brand simply isn't on equal footing vs the PS brand,and i think that will carry a great cost still.

By the way damn the switch will probably outsell both the PS5 and series X for the first 2 or 3 years like the PS2 did with the xbox 360 and PS3.

I wish we knew how many Xbox consoles were sold so far this gen. But what we do know is that the Gen 9 Switch is demolishing the PS4 in sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I personally don't think Xbox is going to get curb stomped next gen like it did this one. The gap will be a lot closer this time with some exclusive 1st party games coming out from purchased developers this gen. People can talk about power all they want but almost every Xbox has been more powerful than Playstation. Xbox One X had 6 teraflops of graphics processing power and 12GB of GDDR5 RAM. Making it significantly more than the PS4 Pro's 4.12 teraflops and 8GB GDDR5 RAM.

It didn't matter because games sell consoles, which Sony has delivered.

That being said, I'm curious to see if the 2 to 1 install base on Playstation, and the fact that Xbox games all come to PC making owning an Xbox redundant for PC gamers will play a bigger or smaller factor next gen. Time will tell, but I always lean on whoever has the best games only playable on that console being the main factor.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

salez warz

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@virusvaccine21 said:

110 million > 46 million, lol I_Poo_Poo_Daily's lemming tears.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By tormentos

@i_p_daily said:

The pro and xbox one X disagree.

All 3 companies make a stronger model,Nintendo one is just incompatible with Wii U,fact is it never was consider on another gen and was compare and still is vs the PS4 and xbox one.

If the swicth is a new gen then give it up the xbox ended 3rd again because is a well known for fact the PS5 will sell more than the xbox because is more accepted world wide and the swicth is 50 million sold there is no catching that.

So how does it feel to be 3rd again and been beating by the weakest hardware in a new gen ever.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tormentos

@x_hedon said:

I wish we knew how many Xbox consoles were sold so far this gen. But what we do know is that the Gen 9 Switch is demolishing the PS4 in sales.

Yeah meanwhile sony is on top making more money on PSN alone than Nintendo make as a whole company,while seating 56 million unist away from the switch maybe they catch on who knows.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tormentos

@clone01 said:

salez warz

Come on man those were the best threads don't you remember.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48  Edited By KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 12956 Posts

@virusvaccine21 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@virusvaccine21 said:

110 million > 46 million, lol I_Poo_Poo_Daily's lemming tears.

Link to official sales from Microsoft. We will wait here.

@tormentos said:
@i_p_daily said:

The pro and xbox one X disagree.

All 3 companies make a stronger model,Nintendo one is just incompatible with Wii U,fact is it never was consider on another gen and was compare and still is vs the PS4 and xbox one.

Switch is next gen. Nintendo confirmed this. We trust them over you.

@tormentos said:
@x_hedon said:

Yeah meanwhile sony is on top making more money on PSN alone than Nintendo make as a whole company,while seating 56 million unist away from the switch maybe they catch on who knows.

That's cool. I am just excited that the Switch is doing so well, destroying the PS4 in sales. That's a good thing, competition around the world is important. Not that it matters, with Switch being a gen 9 machine, it competes against the PS5 and Series X when they come out this fall.

Gen 8 ends up:

1. PS4

2. Xbox One

3. Wii U

Gen 9 so far:

1. Switch

2. TBD

3. TBD

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

So switch best selling console confirmed? Gotcha!

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

PlayStation 4 was just the better system at the start but Microsoft upped their game