just face it - no game on PC comes close to MGS4

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

steve17989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 steve17989
Member since 2006 • 1020 Posts
[QUOTE="steve17989"][QUOTE="67gt500"] I would barf too, if I had spent as much money beefing up my rig as some people have around here (to behold Crysis in all of its glory), only to have it trounced by a game that runs on a $400 console...fluxorator

Trolling is against the TOS. Reported.

I really don't see how that is trolling...

Then I suggest you read his posts more carefully.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Clearly MGS4 is years behind Crysis when it comes technical graphics, with abundant low-resolution textures and meshes, simple static lighting effects, and lower polycounts for every character model. The gameworld is also much more constrained, not featuring a large, open virtual "playground" that Crysis/Crysis:Warhead offers. Anyone with low-grade reading comprehension and eyes with less than average vision can see this pretty clearly from the articles, specifications, screenshots, and videos, as well as by actually playing each one.

Now to argue MGS4 as a whole is more graphically pleasing due to the style, the animations, the cutscenes, the presentation, which many critics used to justify it's "winning" of 2008's Graphics Award, is completely different.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#53 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
I think im going to tag this thread and its title will be "Epic Fail for the Epic Troll." No Im not blind crysis looks better than MGS4. No joke to I had an eye doctor appointment yesterday and the doc said my eyes are fins 20/20. So I know im not blind and I know what looks better. I will say I do like MGS4 but not for its graphics.Killfox
On the surface, it almost seems like you're implying that the industry-professional critics/journalists who conferred the award on MGS4 have sub-standard eyesight. Please, bear in mind that these people are professionals who play and rate games to earn their livings - they are infinately better qualified to make such a determination than most of us... saying otherwise would be a slight to their integrity.
tek91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 tek91
Member since 2004 • 1476 Posts

gears of war 2 looks better than crysis or mgs4

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42155.html

hfgjhgjghjghjgh

If it helps you sleep better at night :)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#55 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Indeed. MGS4 is so outdated, most modern PC games couldn't imagine a time having those graphics.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

The people here should consider making a religion, seeing how easily they have allowed themselves to be indoctrinated.

To hell with reason and your own two eyes, someone wrote something down so it must be true.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#57 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="Killfox"]I think im going to tag this thread and its title will be "Epic Fail for the Epic Troll." No Im not blind crysis looks better than MGS4. No joke to I had an eye doctor appointment yesterday and the doc said my eyes are fins 20/20. So I know im not blind and I know what looks better. I will say I do like MGS4 but not for its graphics.67gt500
On the surface, it almost seems like you're implying that the industry-professional critics/journalists who conferred the award on MGS4 have sub-standard eyesight. Please, bear in mind that these people are professionals who play and rate games to earn their livings - they are infinately better qualified to make such a determination than most of us... saying otherwise would be a slight to their integrity.

It was an award that involved either artstyle or computer technics. Either of which isn't necessarily a field that these journalists and critics are trained in. There isn't anything about them that qualifies them to make these kinds of sweeping statements about games. Especially when, in the technical realm, there is clear and convincing evidence they are wrong.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
[QUOTE="Killfox"]I think im going to tag this thread and its title will be "Epic Fail for the Epic Troll." No Im not blind crysis looks better than MGS4. No joke to I had an eye doctor appointment yesterday and the doc said my eyes are fins 20/20. So I know im not blind and I know what looks better. I will say I do like MGS4 but not for its graphics.67gt500

An opinion is just an opinion nothing else.Does not matter if you consider them to be professional.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 67gt500
[QUOTE="steve17989"][QUOTE="67gt500"] I would barf too, if I had spent as much money beefing up my rig as some people have around here (to behold Crysis in all of its glory), only to have it trounced by a game that runs on a $400 console...fluxorator

Trolling is against the TOS. Reported.

I really don't see how that is trolling...

Quote directly from the ToS/sticky: "Saying that you're reporting somebody is considered trolling"
dk_2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 dk_2007
Member since 2007 • 680 Posts

[QUOTE="67gt500"][QUOTE="Killfox"]I think im going to tag this thread and its title will be "Epic Fail for the Epic Troll." No Im not blind crysis looks better than MGS4. No joke to I had an eye doctor appointment yesterday and the doc said my eyes are fins 20/20. So I know im not blind and I know what looks better. I will say I do like MGS4 but not for its graphics.JangoWuzHere

An opinion is just an opinion nothing else.Does not matter if you consider them to be professional.

In addition, ppl should not confuse between "Best Graphics award" and "Best technical Graphics award". Most of the other websites have given Best Graphics award to MGS4 and not technical graphics award.

The problem is with gamespot because the name of teh award is best technical graphics and there is no doubt that it should go to Crysis Warhead.

Everyone knows that many people in Gamespot staff have lost their jobs recently due to financial crysis. Question is that have they sold their PCs as well?

tek91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 tek91
Member since 2004 • 1476 Posts

gears of war 2 looks better than crysis or mgs4

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42155.html

hfgjhgjghjghjgh

If it helps you sleep better at night :)

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Saturos3091

Sorry to post pics, but...

Do you honestly think MGS4 Looks better, or are you just being a blind-follower of critic's mistakes? To me it appears to be the latter, justifying your argument with "they said so."

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 67gt500

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"][QUOTE="67gt500"] On the surface, it almost seems like you're implying that the industry-professional critics/journalists who conferred the award on MGS4 have sub-standard eyesight. Please, bear in mind that these people are professionals who play and rate games to earn their livings - they are infinately better qualified to make such a determination than most of us... saying otherwise would be a slight to their integrity.dk_2007

In addition, ppl should not confuse between "Best Graphics award" and "Best technical Graphics award". Most of the other websites have given Best Graphics award to MGS4 and not technical graphics award.

The problem is with gamespot because the name of teh award is best technical graphics and there is no doubt that it should go to Crysis Warhead.

Everyone knows that many people in Gamespot staff have lost their jobs recently due to financial crysis. Question is that have they sold their PCs as well?

Yes, to be clear, the award is for 'Best Technical Graphics'... Crysis Warhead could arguably be considered to have the 'Best Graphics' hands-down, if there was such a category...
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#64 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
you honestly think that mgs4 graphics couldn't be achieved on pc? :lol:
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

On the surface, it almost seems like you're implying that the industry-professional critics/journalists who conferred the award on MGS4 have sub-standard eyesight.67gt500

I don't know about Killfox, but it's not a case of calling them blind, but people of definitely different opinion on the matter in relation to their own experience with the game.

Please, bear in mind that these people are professionals who play and rate games to earn their livings - they are infinately better qualified to make such a determination than most of us... saying otherwise would be a slight to their integrity.67gt500

Please. People give me that crap all the time. I've read many reviews from many sites, that could be called anything but professionally centered. I've seen reviews written by critics that aren't of higher quality than those written by day to day gamers.

Yes they usually write better than the average person. Yes they win money in life, in doing exactly what they enjoy doing. It may sound like I'm discrediting their work and the difficulty some journalists probably faced to get where they are, but I'm not. There probably are a few reviewers from this very site that are reading these exact messages, and I hardly doubt that they would place any of their views and opinions in above quality to every non-journalist gamer out there.

And I won't even touch the state of current gaming journalism. Which could be a hell of a lot better.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 67gt500
[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]

Sorry to post pics, but...

Do you honestly think MGS4 Looks better, or are you just being a blind-follower of critic's mistakes? To me it appears to be the latter, justifying your argument with "they said so."

Please, don't apologize - yes, bring pics by all means. In answer to your question, no, I really don't think that MGS4 looks better than Warhead - MGS4 is a beautiful, well-realized, richly detailed, cinematic game... for a console, and I can understand from a 'Big-picture' perspective why it won, but Warhead is easily the best-looking game that your money can currently buy...
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 67gt500

[QUOTE="67gt500"]On the surface, it almost seems like you're implying that the industry-professional critics/journalists who conferred the award on MGS4 have sub-standard eyesight.StealthSting

I don't know about Killfox, but it's not a case of calling them blind, but people of definitely different opinion on the matter in relation to their own experience with the game.

Please, bear in mind that these people are professionals who play and rate games to earn their livings - they are infinately better qualified to make such a determination than most of us... saying otherwise would be a slight to their integrity.67gt500

Please. People give me that crap all the time. I've read many reviews from many sites, that could be called anything but professionally centered. I've seen reviews written by critics that aren't of higher quality than those written by day to day gamers.

Yes they usually write better than the average person. Yes they win money in life, in doing exactly what they enjoy doing. It may sound like I'm discrediting their work and the difficulty some journalists probably faced to get where they are, but I'm not. There probably are a few reviewers from this very site that are reading these exact messages, and I hardly doubt that they would place any of their views and opinions in above quality to every non-journalist gamer out there.

And I won't even touch the state of current gaming journalism. Which could be a hell of a lot better.

Well said! Although, more than just a few other professionals agree with GS on this one... You know what we should do? We should all just let Jaffe decide - whatever he says goes, period! :p
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#68 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
xD TC is a genius... yes, I too am amused that the word of "GameSpot" has more clout than reality. Just think, if GameSpot could have picked a PS2 game for "technically best graphics" and it would be true, because they said it.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 67gt500
xD TC is a genius... yes, I too am amused that the word of "GameSpot" has more clout than reality. Just think, if GameSpot could have picked a PS2 game for "technically best graphics" and it would be true, because they said it.subrosian
Ah, subrosian, thanks God you have arrived - your insight, as usual, is impeccable...
horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

you clearly do not listen to podcasts.....

Becuase On ALL the pocasts I listen to(all the major websites and multiple ones on both IGN and 1UP). not a SINGLE person has EVER claimed that Crysis was inferior to ANY game at ANY point, MGS4 included.

No, what has been made clear to me by listening to podcasts is that in general, a handicap was put up against Crysis because it is THAT FAR AHEAD. Rather than giving it to the game that has no competition, they give it to something else and nominate Crysis as a runner up...

Because, no game can compete with this.

There isn't even a point to doing a Best Graphics Award if the above game is truly in contention. They gave it to Crysis last year.... But doing it twice in row was never going to happen.

That is what I have gathered from numerous podcasts.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 67gt500

[QUOTE="67gt500"][QUOTE="Killfox"]I think im going to tag this thread and its title will be "Epic Fail for the Epic Troll." No Im not blind crysis looks better than MGS4. No joke to I had an eye doctor appointment yesterday and the doc said my eyes are fins 20/20. So I know im not blind and I know what looks better. I will say I do like MGS4 but not for its graphics.horrowhip

Becuase On ALL the pocasts I listen to(all the major websites and multiple ones on both IGN and 1UP). not a SINGLE person has EVER claimed that Crysis was inferior to ANY game at ANY point, MGS4 included.

No, what has been made clear to me by listening to podcasts is that in general, a handicap was put up against Crysis because it is THAT FAR AHEAD. Rather than giving it to the game that has no competition, they give it to something else and nominate Crysis as a runner up...

There isn't even a point to doing a Best Graphics Award if the above game is truly in contention. They gave it to Crysis last year.... But doing it twice in row was never going to happen.

Ah, it seems that you, also, have been blessed with the gift of insight...
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 67gt500
[QUOTE="fluxorator"][QUOTE="battalionwars13"][QUOTE="67gt500"]

When Crysis launched the gaming world had to pick their collective jaws off the floor at how eye-blisteringly gorgeous the game was... yes, it required a beefy rig to run smoothly and in all of it glory, but it was undeniably the pinnacle of gaming graphics, on any platform.

Then, it's stellar follow-up Crysis Warhead released again to oohs and ahhhs from the gaming community featuring an equally outstanding level of visual fidelity.

Yet, the best that PC could muster wasn't enough to clinch the [graphics] prize from the venerable console game Metal Gear Solid 4. There is much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but the critics have spoken, our peers have voted, and MGS4 is victorious.

But there is good news for PC gamers, after all is said and done - MGS4's victory over Crysis Warhead might inspire PC developers to pick up their game a bit and deliver something that can actually compete with console games with respect to technical graphics...

Maybe 2009 will see a 'return to glory' of sorts for PC, after this irrefutable defeat in 2008.

Thoughts?

Ive never played neither but ive watched videos of both and Crysis warhead looks way better. Gears 2 even looks better than MGS4.

MGS4 looks crap in screenshots and internet videos. It's the really small details that most people don't conciously realise that make the difference. Like when you're walking in the rain, some of the drops will remain on the camera lense. When Snake walks out of an explosion or somethign that disturbed a lot of dust, you can see it settle again on other places like floors, walls, and again even the camera. It's just attention to those tiny details, that you can only understand if you're playing the game, right there and then that make it different. Yes, Crysis has better textures and poly-counts and whatnot, but Crysis failed to get me to care if nomad actually died. Sure it looked stunning and all, but the graphics didn't really serve much of a purpose in the actual game itself apart from looking pretty (Which isn't bad, games should look nice) In Metal Gear Solid 4 however, those tiny little details like Snake's facial expressions, the way he moved and it's authenticity, it helps you associate with him. It gives you a feeling of immersion. Crysis has immersion, yes. But not to that level. I don't deny that Crysis LOOKS better, but the reason I think MGS4 has been winning those graphics awards on more than one site is because it shows that graphics in a game can sevre for more of a purpose than just looking shiny.

Brilliant! That's getting to the heart of the matter, the whole emotional-involvement thing right there... graphics really should do more than just frame the over-all experience - they should be a part of it... Brilliant stuff right there...
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Saturos3091
[QUOTE="67gt500"] Please, don't apologize - yes, bring pics by all means. In answer to your question, no, I really don't think that MGS4 looks better than Warhead - MGS4 is a beautiful, well-realized, richly detailed, cinematic game... for a console, and I can understand from a 'Big-picture' perspective why it won, but Warhead is easily the best-looking game that your money can currently buy...

Ah, so then you must understand Gamespot's fallacy when they gave MGS4 best technical graphics. Even for the console it was on, technically speaking it was behind other games. Just making sure you weren't one of those people who treats GS reviews as fact. :P Now I'm not going to argue with it being given "best overall graphics" though, as I've said before reviewers included things such as animation, etc. in judging that category (and it's clearly debatable no matter what title won, you could argue Okami for the Wii had the best graphics).
Mehdi1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Mehdi1984
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts

Thoughts?

67gt500
You are either (a) Delusional or (b) Ignorant if you think MGS4 looks better then Crysis.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#76 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Obviously you never sat down with Crysis Warhammer or Sins of a Solar Empire.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 67gt500
[QUOTE="Mehdi1984"][QUOTE="67gt500"]

Thoughts?

You are either (a) Delusional or (b) Ignorant if you think MGS4 looks better then Crysis.

Hello, and welcome to my humble thread - for your posting pleasure might I suggest reading the preceeding posts in the thread, prior to leaving one of your own. In doing so, you will maximize the benefit to all of us that your valuable opinion is sure to bring. Thank you, in advance...
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#78 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="67gt500"][QUOTE="Killfox"]I think im going to tag this thread and its title will be "Epic Fail for the Epic Troll." No Im not blind crysis looks better than MGS4. No joke to I had an eye doctor appointment yesterday and the doc said my eyes are fins 20/20. So I know im not blind and I know what looks better. I will say I do like MGS4 but not for its graphics.horrowhip

Now as much as I defend Crysis, I cannot defend people who put pictures of modded, and tweaked versions of the game up. My computer (specs in sig) wouldn't beable to run that at a playable rate for anything. You can beef up any console games graphics engine to a point where it is photorealistic, doesn't mean its going to run.
horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

Now as much as I defend Crysis, I cannot defend people who put pictures of modded, and tweaked versions of the game up. My computer (specs in sig) wouldn't beable to run that at a playable rate for anything. You can beef up any console games graphics engine to a point where it is photorealistic, doesn't mean its going to run.Wasdie

too bad that IS playable.... 30(ish) FPS. I will admit, the guy who took the screenshot has a massively beefy rig (Dual 4870X2's) but I have seen similar screenshot from him with a FPS counter.... I believe the guy who took the screenshot made the level. Spent forever tweaking the Time of Day settings and has his own custom config. He also tweaks the objects in a level to make the draw counts reasonable. Very good at what he does. But it most certainly would be playable for you at one lower a graphical setting...

Also, how is me posting THAT screenshot any different from all the other people who spam the bullshots and touched up stuff from console games? Gears 2 certainly does not look as good as the one screenshot that is always posted of it. I was just proving a point. A game that is capable of THAT by merely tweaking the Time of Day and doing some slight config modifications is hardly something that can be competed with.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 67gt500
[QUOTE="67gt500"] Please, don't apologize - yes, bring pics by all means. In answer to your question, no, I really don't think that MGS4 looks better than Warhead - MGS4 is a beautiful, well-realized, richly detailed, cinematic game... for a console, and I can understand from a 'Big-picture' perspective why it won, but Warhead is easily the best-looking game that your money can currently buy...Saturos3091
Ah, so then you must understand Gamespot's fallacy when they gave MGS4 best technical graphics. Even for the console it was on, technically speaking it was behind other games. Just making sure you weren't one of those people who treats GS reviews as fact. :P Now I'm not going to argue with it being given "best overall graphics" though, as I've said before reviewers included things such as animation, etc. in judging that category (and it's clearly debatable no matter what title won, you could argue Okami for the Wii had the best graphics).

Ah, saturos, like subrosian before you, you honor my thread with your presence, and insight... oh yes, I understand the 'fallacy'... and it is precisely for reasons which you and subrosian have cited, that I have decided to have a little fun with it...
Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

Tasteless trolling is getting old. There's enough talk about this, MGS4 won and that's not gonna change no matter how much you whine.

And no I don't consider MGS4 has better technical graphics than Crysis but if you KNOW this as well I'd say stop beating a dead horse.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 67gt500
[QUOTE="Dystopian-X"]

Tasteless trolling is getting old. There's enough talk about this, MGS4 won and that's not gonna change no matter how much you whine.

And no I don't consider MGS4 has better technical graphics than Crysis but if you KNOW this as well I'd say stop beating a dead horse.

This is exactly, word-for-word, the point that I have been trying to make... It IS getting old, There HAS been enough talk about it, it's NOT gonna change and we ALL know that Crysis Warhead has better graphics, so lets END all the whining over it... I'll be on my way now...
Cpt_Meh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Cpt_Meh
Member since 2005 • 1832 Posts
Not to defend this thread at all (Because I find both it, and GS's decision to be a complete joke) but anytime a game flops, that word is law in System Wars.... So technically this should be the same, right? (Even though most people realize that MGS4 is far from Crysis in Graphics)
t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#84 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

Rofl.

MGS4 is more of an acheivement for the PS3 than Warhead is for the PC.

It got the pity vote.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#85 deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
Member since 2005 • 6504 Posts
Windwaker,a Gamecube game, has more beautiful graphics than MGS4.death919
I agree with this in a very literal sense.
XxSTILL_BORNxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 XxSTILL_BORNxX
Member since 2007 • 5749 Posts
I Just hope your joking dude.
Avatar image for PrinceofSarcasm
PrinceofSarcasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 PrinceofSarcasm
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

how so mgs4 is a ps3 game with low res textures and crysis murderes it.PS3Breeder

crysis may be graphicly better then mgs4 but I cant stand it when some one who clearly hasnt played mgs4 (you dont have a psn id) talks about how it has low res textures

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
playing MGS4 in high-def.. i can say that crysis over-all looks better. But there are some instances where MGS4 looks just as good or completely wrecks Crysis. The last boss fight, is the pinnacle of next gen gaming. I have never seen presentation like that before, and the character models and the fight scene blew me away. Crysis not soo much, just pretty graphics, nice textures and sick physics.
Singularity22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Singularity22
Member since 2008 • 996 Posts

[QUOTE="PS3Breeder"]how so mgs4 is a ps3 game with low res textures and crysis murderes it.PrinceofSarcasm

crysis may be graphicly better then mgs4 but I cant stand it when some one who clearly hasnt played mgs4 (you dont have a psn id) talks about how it has low res textures

You dont need a PSN ID or own an uber leet ps3 to have played and beaten MGS4. Havent you heard of 'friends'?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
The funny thing is that MGS4 is just primitive gameplay-wise to 10 years old Thief. I wonder how much will it take for Kojima to even match LookingGlassStudios's masterpiece? Considering how slowly he's improving I guess it will take another 20 years or so :D
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#91 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

[QUOTE="PS3Breeder"]how so mgs4 is a ps3 game with low res textures and crysis murderes it.PrinceofSarcasm

Well it does.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#92 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
[QUOTE="subrosian"]xD TC is a genius... yes, I too am amused that the word of "GameSpot" has more clout than reality. Just think, if GameSpot could have picked a PS2 game for "technically best graphics" and it would be true, because they said it.67gt500
Ah, subrosian, thanks God you have arrived - your insight, as usual, is impeccable...

Well I never miss a party... - But what do we expect, really? GameSpot lost a great deal of staff after Gerstmann-gate. Now with all the pre-holiday terminations that talent drain has just been incredible. This is just a damn shame though - we have a chance for games like Braid, World of Goo, and yes, MGS4 - to get a nod, and instead it's tainted because some editor put art before specs in a technical award.
McdonaIdsGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 McdonaIdsGuy
Member since 2008 • 3046 Posts
Joke thread?
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

It does have low res textures. Lots of review sites mention this even gamespot.
Fumpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Fumpa
Member since 2003 • 3307 Posts
You MGS4 fanboys are out of control.
tmacscores91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#96 tmacscores91
Member since 2008 • 1526 Posts
Windwaker,a Gamecube game, has more beautiful graphics than MGS4.death919
Gamespots Last award of the year FOTY ............death919!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bazookajoe19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 bazookajoe19
Member since 2006 • 827 Posts

When Crysis launched the gaming world had to pick their collective jaws off the floor at how eye-blisteringly gorgeous the game was... yes, it required a beefy rig to run smoothly and in all of it glory, but it was undeniably the pinnacle of gaming graphics, on any platform.

Then, it's stellar follow-up Crysis Warhead released again to oohs and ahhhs from the gaming community featuring an equally outstanding level of visual fidelity.

Yet, the best that PC could muster wasn't enough to clinch the graphics prize from the venerable console game Metal Gear Solid 4. There is much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but the critics have spoken, our peers have voted, and MGS4 is victorious.

But there is good news for PC gamers, after all is said and done - MGS4's victory over Crysis Warhead might inspire PC developers to pick up their game a bit and deliver something that can actually compete with console games with respect to technical graphics...

Maybe 2009 will see a 'return to glory' of sorts for PC, after this irrefutable defeat in 2008.

Thoughts?

67gt500

MGS4 has average graphics. It has plenty of jaggies and rough textures. Its still a great game but its just not visually stunning in any way.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#98 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Please, don't apologize - yes, bring pics by all means. In answer to your question, no, I really don't think that MGS4 looks better than Warhead - MGS4 is a beautiful, well-realized, richly detailed, cinematic game... for a console, and I can understand from a 'Big-picture' perspective why it won, but Warhead is easily the best-looking game that your money can currently buy...67gt500

And that is why it should have won. That is the purpose of the award. Not which game looks best based on the standards of a certain platform, but the best overall.

If best overall didn't actually matter, Crysis and no other PC game wouldn't have been nominated. If it isn't for best overall, why does PC even bother if they always win it?
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts
[QUOTE="Dystopian-X"]

67gt500

This is exactly, word-for-word, the point that I have been trying to make... It IS getting old, There HAS been enough talk about it, it's NOT gonna change and we ALL know that Crysis Warhead has better graphics, so lets END all the whining over it... I'll be on my way now...

Yes. Let's all get back to arguing about Killzone 2 like we've been doing for the past few years now.

That's so much more fun, because the argument isn't as blatantly lop-sided ;)

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
I believe its TECHNICAL.. do we have any programmers, engineers, artists, designers in here? anyone in the industry..please stand up. guess not....so quit the whining, none of you guys even have half the cred that these guys do.