JRPG Battle: Xenoblade vs Ni No Kuni

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45125 Posts

Which did you like more? I'm currently playing both but I think I'm leaning towards Ni No Kuni. The art style and story are drawing me in a bit more. Xenoblade seems very repetitive.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I really want to play Ni No Kuni but do not have a PS3. Xenoblade is a masterpiece, easily the best console game of last generation.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Playing two JRPGs at once? You're a brave man.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

I wish Nintendo would put it on the Eshop, so I could check it out. Shit's hard to find, and it sure as hell ain't cheap.

Ni No Kuni is.... slow. I put it down after a good couple of hours.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@Blabadon said:

lol I have a habit of taking frequent breaks between games. I'm also playing FFX HD on Vita.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Three JRPGs? Crazy.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#7 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@Blabadon said:

No doubt. I had to put FFIX down for a bit just to focus entirely on P4G. And I have yet to start Bravely Default!

On topic: Out of the two, which I've only beaten Ni no Kuni, I'd argue Xenoblade is the better experience. It appears to deliver so much more content as well as a stronger battle system, wonderful music, etc.

Ni no Kuni is a beautiful game though, filled to the brim with charm and seeing all of the different familiars is wonderful. I know some people weren't entirely for the game, and it took a weird turn in its story near the end, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@Zassimick: Bravely Default is really good, although it has some (now infamous) pacing problems. I'd still say it's worth playing for fans of the genre.

Also, how Xenoblade's soundtrack isn't more recognized is beyond me. Shit's amazing.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

Also, how Xenoblade's soundtrack isn't more recognized is beyond me. Shit's amazing.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 turtlethetaffer

@Zassimick: That GIF made me laugh my ass off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#13  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Honestly, both kind of suck...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts
@Stringerboy said:

The combat in Ni No Kuni is shit so xenoblade.

@freedomfreak said:

I wish Nintendo would put it on the Eshop, so I could check it out. Shit's hard to find, and it sure as hell ain't cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Xenoblade-Chronicles-Wii/dp/B005CLPO9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397689613&sr=8-1&keywords=xenoblade

Oh wow. That's even UK where I usually order stuff.

Well, I got owned. Thank you, Stringerboy.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Ni No Kuni had some really beautiful places; however, the pacing throughout the game was terrible; Oliver's World was filler and useless; the combat was pretty bad with some frustrating cinematic attacks that were extremely hard to dodge and idiot AI; the side quests boiled down to two-three types and the game had some really archaic systems that bogged down the experience. It was a good game that I would rate a 7.0-7.5 if I was doing a numbered review, but that's mostly due to the charming atmosphere.

Xenoblades had amazing atmosphere, streamlined many of the terrible systems that Ni No Kuni, the combat and party system worked better than Ni No KUni's. It offered a better story. Xenoblade did have a little bit of a slow down when you got to mechonis field, but systems like fast travel, recovery after battle, not having your AI waste MP, and extremely efficient sidequests were great. I'd give Xenoblades a 9.0-9.5 if I was rating it.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 turtlethetaffer

@charizard1605: That's not the Charizard I know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Never played Xenoblade but Ni No Kuni is a masterpiece

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@Vatusus: Play Xenoblade. It's pretty much the only 70+ hour game I've played that DOESN'T feel like it has filler in it (although I haven't played too many of those uber long games, but I've played a few). Game's also a masterpiece (I really want to play Ni No Kuni though. Looks ace).

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44568 Posts

I'm picky about my JRPGs, and neither of these interest me. Then again, I haven't played them, so I could potential like them... then again I thought that about a lot of shit people said was good and didn't like them. At a glance, neither seems like something I'd like, but to each their own.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 turtlethetaffer

@lamprey263: What are some well received JRPGS you didn't like? And what ones do you like?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Which did you like more? I'm currently playing both but I think I'm leaning towards Ni No Kuni. The art style and story are drawing me in a bit more. Xenoblade seems very repetitive.

i liked more ni no kuni.Had more fun with it but both are great

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Ni nu kuni had better graphics and better art style but boring combat + very small world

Xenoblade had a better story an amazing world to explore better combat but a really bad graphics and art syle

I guess overall xenoblade was a better experience Ni nu kuni needed a bigger world and more exploration to be a better game.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Ni No Kuni's battle system was terrible. It tried to give a unique experience, and it did, but it was so unfinished that it felt rushed. Terrible AI teammates who relentlessly waste their MP on costly buffs, limited MP regeneration (for future games it should recover while walking in overworld), Oliver was more fun to play as compared to the monsters, and Enemy tricks interrupt your casting was so irritating it made me cringe.

On the other hand, Xenoblade gets crap for having a repetitive battle system. It's very well done, but people will only play as Shulk and then judge it's battle system. You need to explore all the characters to find out which suits you. People think you absolutely need Shulk Reyn and Sharla, but that's so far from false, Sharla, the healer, isn't even needed if you're at the right level. Back to the core elements of the battle system, it evolves with the player, adding new elements even when the player thinks he has mastered it (ahem, Spike damage for example or adding a completely different character that defies common dps/heal/tank classes). Building up the party gauge to unleash chain attacks is rewarding, toppling enemies to give greater damage is rewarding, changing the future to defend a character from dying is rewarding; Xenoblade Chronicles is a game of rewards.

The overworld of Ni No Kuni was amazing, the artistic side of me resonates well with the amount of beauty it had. but there wasn't very many secrets to find, not to mention getting devastated by enemy encounters. The enemies were brutal and I ended up avoiding most fights.

Xenoblade doesn't have the same artistic beauty that NNK has, instead it wows me with breathtaking sites that were definitely memorable, such as the overlooking cliff in the Guar Plains or the Satoryl Marsh at night. Some of these areas were secret, hidden in plain sight mostly and takes some real exploring to find. Plus being rewarded with a fast travel location, exp and money is a great bonus. That's Xenoblade again, rewarding the player. And enemies were varied, you could tell when enemies were out of your league so you know to not go near it. Because most enemies weren't completely cheap, I didn't mind fighting them for the most part.

Another. Thing I didn't like about NNK is it's punishment for losing, if you die, it's back to the main menu or pay in game money to continue. Xenoblade said, "you die? Back to the last fast travel location."

Story wise, NNK was lighthearted and enjoyable but I enjoyed Xenoblade's lengthy dramatic story much more.

Ost? Lol nothing compares to ACE's golden masterpiece soundtrack. Best ost in any game. I'm actually really sad that they aren't returning to do X's soundtrack.

So I think I covered most of what makes up the two games, with that said, I'd definitely rate Xenoblade Chronicles ahead of Ni No Kuni. Ni No Kuni felt unfinished while Xenoblade was aspiring to take the Wii's limitations and blow away the audience.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

I've not played xenoblade but I did play Ni no kuni and just recently got the platinum its an amazing looking game, and its music is insane but its gameplay is a little lame just being a more action based pokemon clone, and its storyline is a little shitty I even noticed what seems to be removed content in the ps3 version like certain characters that appear during the ending but I never saw them before or certain events were we are expected to know something yet it just happened so we just found it out.

As It is it just seems like the game is just an expanded upgrade over the DS game but with certain gameplay and elements removed, after you get to the point where the DS game ended you have so little extra content and it wasn't very good, I especially hated the after game completion content which could have been included before you beat the game such as errands and bounty hunts.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Persona 4 Golden wins

/end battle

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

I have Ni No Kuni just waiting to be played. Should get on that.

Xenoblade is some epic shit though. Its too bad the story literally goes to utter bullshit in the last third of the game.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

I haven't played Xenoblade yet, but Ni No Kuni was crap so I'm going with Xenoblade.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pffrbt
@Vatusus said:

How?

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pffrbt

@SNIPER4321 said:

@charizard1605 said:

I agree.

xenoblade has worst main theme ever. while nino kuni looks like very chilldish game.

I honestly can't tell whether your whole attitude against anything remotely colorful, lighthearted, or whimsical is suppose to be some kind of facetious gimmick or if you're seriously that immature.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

its not as expensive as it once was. You can find brand new ones for $75 and used for $45

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Lol wot? They're both good imo.

Didn't expect this from someone who likes P4.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pffrbt

@SNIPER4321 said:

they both are childish girly game.

look at xenoblade main theme

how badly it composed

Either you're joking or you're under the age of 12.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Suppaman100

@SNIPER4321 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@charizard1605 said:

how badly it composed

Loading Video...

I'm sure you'll agree that it's not as bad as this game:

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Back in the day I played FFVI, Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG for the first time, all at the same time.

I had no idea back then that I was playing 3 of the best titles the genre would ever see.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SolidGame_basic

@Pffrbt said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@charizard1605 said:

I agree.

xenoblade has worst main theme ever. while nino kuni looks like very chilldish game.

I honestly can't tell whether your whole attitude against anything remotely colorful, lighthearted, or whimsical is suppose to be some kind of facetious gimmick or if you're seriously that immature.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Ni no Kuni. Game just appealed to me more. Just couldn't get fully engaged in Xenoblade even though it was enjoyable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#42 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@Pffrbt said:
@Vatusus said:

How?

Great music, characters, artstyle, pacing, animations, interesting story, serviceable but intuitive gameplay.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ActicEdge
@SNIPER4321 said:

how badly it composed

I don't really get how that's badly composed. Xenoblade also isn't a girly game. Its about a world in which people have the right to exist regardless of the God that created them. It handles some pretty deep concepts (some better than others and to varying degrees of success granted). Even then, so what if a game is "girly"? Does that make it bad, are girls still icky to you or something?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#44 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Ni no Kuni's combat system was a mess once we started added party members, it became unwieldy and repetitive, and severely hamstrung the potential of the game.

Xenoblade had great combat, but the quest design was absolutely terrible, and the pacing undermined a lot of the game's potential entirely.

Both had such great potential, but both fell through. It's kind of sad, really. I think the best console JRPGs of last gen were The Last Story and Lost Odyssey, personally (unless Persona 4 counts as part of 'last gen' by virtue of its release date).

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

Xenoblade is my favorite game ever... So Xenoblade. Amazing world, atmosphere, music, story, and I loved the flexibility and party/skill/skill links customization. Pretty much any party was viable.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ActicEdge

@charizard1605 said:

Xenoblade had great combat, but the quest design was absolutely terrible, and the pacing undermined a lot of the game's potential entirely.

I hear this argument a lot but I don't really agree. There is a ton of quests, none of them are mandatory at all. And I don't even know how the pacing is off either. Something pretty relevant happens about every hour in the game and the world is so big, exploring new parts and finding new monsters is a huge part as well. But if you learn how to play the game properly, I don't get the concept that it isn't spread out well. I agree the last third of the game is by far the weakest though. (the after game content is so damn good though)

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Suppaman100

@charizard1605 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Ni no Kuni's combat system was a mess once we started added party members, it became unwieldy and repetitive, and severely hamstrung the potential of the game.

Both had such great potential, but both fell through. It's kind of sad, really. I think the best console JRPGs of last gen were The Last Story and Lost Odyssey, personally (unless Persona 4 counts as part of 'last gen' by virtue of its release date).

Agree on what you said. But they excel in many other points. I don't think they "suck" though, they're not great but they're good imo.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#48  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

I haven't played Ni no Kuni, but I doubt it would change my decision.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Every JRPG of all time sucks so it doesn't matter.

Especially these games:

• Final Fantasy VI
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Xenogears
  • Anything and everything with Persona in the title.

All shit games.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@ConanTheStoner: