Iwata:Wii-U under powered is a BIG misconception

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/04/iwata-on-wii-u-being-under-powered/

*Edit* The direct transcripts from the conference

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/130425qa/03.html

On the latest Q&A with investors, Iwata answered some very interesting questions including what Nintendo plans to do about third parties, how people conceive the system as under-powered, and so much more.

"Nintendo of Americas new CEO, Satoru Iawata, commented on several Wii U related topics in a recent Q&A session with investors. He spoke about the lack of third party developers and addressed the notion that the Wii U is under-powered.

Iwata said that Nintendo is looking to expand the range of software developers on the Wii U. Recently, the company started offering free Wii U dev kits to third party developers in order to get them on board the Wii U.

He also added that the Wii U now supports the Unity Engine, which has hundreds of thousands of developers around the world, according to Iwata. Nintendo plans on luring some of those developers to the Wii U platform.

When it came to the console specific issues, Iwata acknowledged that many gamers and developers believe that the console is under-powered.

But he doesnt agree with that notion, saying that the Wii U being under-powered is a misconception. He added that Nintendo is working to remedy these misunderstandings.

Finally, Iwata admitted that its hard for Nintendo to convince third party developers to get on board the Wii U in its current state. Nintendo is working on re-vitalizing the Wii U this Summer and Fall. Earlier this month, Shigeru Miyamoto said that the main objective for Nintendo and the Wii U a this point was to make it more stable."

Wait until E3...

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts
inb4lolwiiudaily.
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
That "try to lure" third parties line just calls to mind an image of Reggie driving an inconspicuous white van, with a bag of candy.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Lawl, who actually reads Wi-

inb4lolwiiudaily. simomate

Damnit.

Obviously not as powerful as the PS4, I bet everyone will be amazed once the new 3D Mario and Zelda are shown off, as well as more of Project X and Retro's titles.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Put your money where your mouth is Ninty
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#7 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

That "try to lure" third parties line just calls to mind an image of Reggie driving an inconspicuous white van, with a bag of candy.darkspineslayer

Then he shakes a small bag, gently smiles and says "my candy is ready."

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mexicangordo

That "try to lure" third parties line just calls to mind an image of Reggie driving an inconspicuous white van, with a bag of candy.darkspineslayer
I gotta admit, the "free dev-kits" quote was pretty sad.  

But I gotta agree that the negativity surrounding the system is whats hurting it the most.  Especially from third party support.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Lawl, who actually reads Wi-

[QUOTE="simomate"]inb4lolwiiudaily. ChubbyGuy40

Obviously not as powerful as the PS4, I bet everyone will be amazed once the new 3D Mario and Zelda are shown off, as well as more of Project X and Retro's titles.

pretty much what I've been expecting from the Wii U ever since hearing about it. 

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

wiipoo

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]That "try to lure" third parties line just calls to mind an image of Reggie driving an inconspicuous white van, with a bag of candy.THE_DRUGGIE

I seriously just lost it, well done. :lol:
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
How about Nintendo shows us instead of telling us. Wii U has been out for 6 months and nothing has surpassed the best looking 7th gen games.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]How about Nintendo shows us instead of telling us. Wii U has been out for 6 months and nothing has surpassed the best looking 7th gen games.

Yep This. 

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#14 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

"Under-powered" is a relative term. A NES isn't under-powered if you're happy with only NES-level games for eternity.

They probably think it's perfectly reasonable, but if it's not on par with competing machines, it's going to be in the same spot as the Wii.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 simomate
How about Nintendo shows us instead of telling us. Wii U has been out for 6 months and nothing has surpassed the best looking 7th gen games.BPoole96
You know, I agree with this. A while ago I said that it was too early to judge the Wii U as most of the games were either something like Pikmin or ports of 7th gen games. If the Wii U is really as powerful as they say, they need to show proof of it now.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Iwata:Wii-U under powered is a BIG misconception mexicangordo
No it isn't. *Slaps Iwata for stupidity and denial*
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I have a funny feeling I can already predict the response to the OP from other users in this thread. The WiiU is not as weak as the 360/PS3, but it's stronger than them(most likely 2X stronger).

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mexicangordo

"Nintendo is working on re-vitalizing the Wii U this Summer and Fall. Earlier this month,"

I think with this quote alone pretty much garentees that the rumors of a Wii-U "re-launch" is gonna happen sometime around E3.  The 3DS had a very successful re-launch,  I can see something similiar for the Wii U (minus the price cut.)

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

I have a funny feeling I can already predict the response to the OP from other users in this thread. The WiiU is not as weak as the 360/PS3, but it's stronger than them(most likely 2X stronger).

super600
2x the power and almost the same price as 360 7 years later is a joke.
simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 simomate

"Nintendo is working on re-vitalizing the Wii U this Summer and Fall. Earlier this month,"

I think with this quote alone pretty much garentees that the rumors of a Wii-U "re-launch" is gonna happen sometime around E3.  The 3DS had a very successful re-launch,  I can see something similiar for the Wii U (minus the price cut.)

mexicangordo
What does that mean, "re-launch"?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]That "try to lure" third parties line just calls to mind an image of Reggie driving an inconspicuous white van, with a bag of candy.THE_DRUGGIE

I'm not very good at Photoshop, but this'll have to do.

[spoiler] tdEXcrB.jpg [/spoiler]

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ChubbyGuy40

What does that mean, "re-launch"?simomate

Basically remarket, so that means have a bunch of big events and aggressive advertisements with the original launch lineup plus what'll be around/coming out around that time. Maybe put out some new colors and bundles as well. It's what they did for the 3DS.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
How about Nintendo shows us instead of telling us. Wii U has been out for 6 months and nothing has surpassed the best looking 7th gen games.BPoole96
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

simomate

Vague term Nintendo used for the 3DS in which they pretty much cut the price, showed a bunch of games, and marketed the living crap out of the system.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

I'm sure there will be some great looking games on the system, but it will be relatively under-powered very soon.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

[QUOTE="simomate"][QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

mexicangordo

Vague term Nintendo used for the 3DS in which they pretty much cut the price, showed a bunch of games, and marketed the living crap out of the system.

Hope it works. They made a helluva come back with the 3DS so it's possible I guess.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Well Iwata, then it's up to you to fix this misconception then, isn't it?
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="super600"]

Cranler

The table controller is really expensive.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

But he doesnt agree with that notion, saying that the Wii U being under-powered is a misconception. He added that Nintendo is working to remedy these misunderstandings

mexicangordo

Iwata to everything :

Please understand !

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

But he doesnt agree with that notion, saying that the Wii U being under-powered is a misconception. He added that Nintendo is working to remedy these misunderstandings

Caseytappy

Iwata to everything :

Please understand !

Funny because when I google translate the quote it says

"wait for E3"

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cherokee_Jack

mexicangordo

The 3DS wasn't in the position that the Wii U is, even before the price cut. There was nothing risky about the idea of a more powerful DS, and nothing too threatening about the Vita. They just mishandled it in the early going, and later made good.

Whereas the Wii U's most deep-rooted problem is that it might not have a place in this hardware cycle, since it doesn't directly compete with Sony or Microsoft and it can't just repeat the successes of the Wii. What they need in the long term is an identity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

Cherokee_Jack

The 3DS wasn't in the position that the Wii U is, even before the price cut. There was nothing risky about the idea of a more powerful DS, and nothing too threatening about the Vita. They just mishandled it in the early going, and later made good.

Whereas the Wii U's most deep-rooted problem is that it might not have a place in this hardware cycle, since it doesn't directly compete with Sony or Microsoft and it can't just repeat the successes of the Wii. What they need in the long term is an identity.

One additional thing people forget when making the Wii U-3DS comparison is that the 3DS had a lot of third party support lined up since before launch, unlike the Wii U. Systems make or break their fates with third party support. Unless the Wii U can court some meaningful third party games, it will be doomed to be relegated to a niche, like a console Vita.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]That "try to lure" third parties line just calls to mind an image of Reggie driving an inconspicuous white van, with a bag of candy.ChubbyGuy40

I'm not very good at Photoshop, but this'll have to do.

I dunno, I'd go into that van. What's the worst that could happen?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="super600"]

super600

The table controller is really expensive.

The tablet controller is a gimmick. No one was wishing for a tablet controller. A conventional controller with better console hardware would have been the better route to take. Then again the Gamecube proved that Nintendo cant get by without a novelty like motion controls. Glad this is failing so far.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

Cherokee_Jack

Very much disagree.  3DS failed because it was over priced, Nintendo has been quoted numerous times saying that it "got over confident because fof the strong e3 performance", on top of that, the notion of tablet gaming swept both the media and gamer mentality.  I do agree that the 3DS was a no risk machine however, its unfair to categorize the Wii-U as something that "doesn't directly compete with Sony or MS.  What does that even mean these days?  Let alone, we have no idea what MS or Sony or even Nintendo's long term console plans at this point.

Wii-U has no "deep rooted issue" imo, simply put, it was a rushed system.  Plain and simple, Nintendo had no clear marketing plan past the holiday launch, and only envisioned a launch window, which never truly materialized even to this day.  It was a mis-handled rushed console.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

The wiiu is underpowered and IWATA is full of it.      Its not underpowered in the sense that it competes and beats the 360/ps3 handidly in graphics, But nobody is going to settle for a supposed next gen gaming machine which lacks titles and only barely beats the 360/ps3. 

This  iwata guy is a big troll. Let him sing that same chorus next year about the wii u not being underpowered when the worst version of Watch Dogs for the next gen consoles is the WII U.    

Nintendo said f-u to many 3rd party developers when the WII was in its bubble, because the hardware was a piece of shit yet it was selling like hotcakes to the ignorants.  Now the ignorants are less ignorant of the fact the WII sucks for multiplat games due to crap hardware hence nobody is going to buy wii u for anything but nintendo games.    And if the nintendo games arent coming/good. That platform is going to be the next gamecube, possibility even worst after ps4/720 takes away all the little left hype the wii u even has if any at all. 

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ChubbyGuy40

Teufelhuhn

No 8GDDR5, duh.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

ChubbyGuy40

No 8GDDR5, duh.

No wait let me out, it was mistake! :cry:

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

charizard1605

One additional thing people forget when making the Wii U-3DS comparison is that the 3DS had a lot of third party support lined up since before launch, unlike the Wii U. Systems make or break their fates with third party support. Unless the Wii U can court some meaningful third party games, it will be doomed to be relegated to a niche, like a console Vita.

The third party titles never mattered for the 3DS. Even with the third party support the highest selling titles are all first party. The reason why the 3DS is doing well is because it actually has Nintendo games unlike the Wii U, which has 1 notable one (and it's NSMB), and one notable one on the horizen (Pikmin 3). 3DS has seen a starfox game, a Zelda game, a 3D and 2D Mario game, a Paper Mario game, and even Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion. Not to mention the E-shop games and the fact that, the 3DS has a new Zelda and Pokemon game just on the horizen while the Wii U seemingly has nothing.

Nintendo just needs to pack on the Nintendo game and bring in more of the "Wii" titles.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#40 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
If only it was true ...
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ChubbyGuy40

No wait let me out, it was mistake! :cry:

Teufelhuhn

Escape?

[spoiler] y4l7VSF.jpg [/spoiler]

Damnit, Photoshop is fun. Need to get back to video games.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
if he took time to talk about something like that, you know even them are worried. WiiU will never even reach Uc2/KZ2 graphics so if for Nintendo that's powerful enough i say they forgot what powerful system is
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#43 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41536 Posts
Quite the damage control there, Iwata.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
Wii Useless.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cherokee_Jack

its unfair to categorize the Wii-U as something that "doesn't directly compete with Sony or MS.  What does that even mean these days?  Let alone, we have no idea what MS or Sony or even Nintendo's long term console plans at this point.

mexicangordo

We can extrapolate well enough. Unless Microsoft becomes all about Kinect and exclusive TV shows, and drops everything else (they won't) they will be in the same online multiplayer-oriented, DLC-friendly space as Sony, and combined with the probable power gap between PS4/Xbox and Wii U, that pushes MS/Sony farther away to focus on one-upping each other, while Nintendo is off mostly doing their own thing.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

eh....hmmm ok

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
no, it really isnt.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#48 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

simomate

See 3DS and PS3 and heck even the Xbox 360. 

Redesigns and Price Cuts are pretty much "Re-Launching" type of moves.

Microsoft showed in 2010 a Brand New Xbox Slim that everyone in the audience got and it was unveild like it was a completely "New" console, but it was just an Xbox 360 in a new skin.

Sony pretty much did the same thing with the PS3 Slim. oddly enough the System started doing better after that reveil.

The 3DS had a similar Relaunch with the Early Price Cut. Just like the PS3, it saw a boost in sales.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts

Go on Nintendo, 3rd e3's a charm. SHOW US TEH POWAH.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

With the Wii U being roughly 2-3x as powerful as the PS3/360, I'm happy. I personally never thought it was underpowered. Now, put it next to the later generation games that will be out on the PS4 and I guarantee you that you are going to see some very big differences if developers take advantage of the PS4. But, in terms of Nintendo titles and third parties as well as the overall power of the Wii U, I'm happy with it. I don't need 3 Consoles that are monster behemoths. Though I am very happy that PS4 is going to be that behemoth. I'm excited for what Sony and Nintendo have to offer. MS too if that Always online thing isn't true...