Is The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Still Relevant?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#201 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

oot

Seabas989

2012-01-02.jpg

/argument

Yeah you won.

Navi doesn't stop me from playing the game until I deal with her bullsh!t. Fi does. And Navi also doesn't do that all that often. I remember being annoyed by her one time in the multiple playthroughs of OoT I've done. Meanwhile, Fi stops you every time something happens because Nintendo thinks you're an idiot and you need to hear things 3-4 times.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#202 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Yeah, if you randomly knew to look for the things you had no way to look for and the game gives you no way to find. :roll: At least Skyward Sword tried something interesting with it's overworld by revealing bits of it at a time and changing them over the course of the game. Wind Waker's overworld is literally the only good thing about the game. It has a small number of dungeons that are ridiculously average in every way. Aside from the novel idea of the ocean and the joy of sailing, it i's "baby's first Zelda" in every way. Every other thing it does has been outdone by other Zelda games, many of which came out before it did, and I would argue Twilight Princess matches it in overworld.DarkLink77

I actually call Wind Waker the height of the series because it grow and added things up to that point. After Wind Waker, the games started focusing on some great aspects over others. Wind Waker had the best story by far (nearly impossible to make a case otherwise), the best visuals, the best characters, the best overworld, the best music and the best side quests if you exclude Majora's Mask. The world was absolutely full and the 7 dungeons were pretty darn amazing as well

Majora's Mask exists. So no, it's not "nearly impossible." It's laughably easy. Also Midna > any of WW's characters.

And ew, Wind Waker's dungeons are awful.

Have you took the time to see just how intrecatel the story of Wind Waker connects to almost every single NPC and the setting of the great ocean? The use of metaphor to convey a powerful message about breaking out of your comfort zone, taking a risk and trying to grow even if there's an equal chance things will end up worse than better. It's better to make SOME difference than letting your potential stagnate. Wind Waker was about having the courage to build your own path and not let anybody force you to do otherwise. Even if it's a talking boat that greedily uses children to unnaturally fulfil the roles of their ancesters so that he can get his "island" (Hyrule Kingdom: his comfort zone) back.

You can see how clever the metaphors of the island and the Great sea are in relation to the plot I hope. I just think it's brilliant how much the story is reflected in every aspect of Wind Waker.

Majora's Mask had Atmosphere more than it had a great story.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#203 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

2012-01-02.jpg

/argument

DarkLink77

Yeah you won.

Navi doesn't stop me from playing the game until I deal with her bullsh!t. Fi does. And Navi also doesn't do that all that often. I remember being annoyed by her one time in the multiple playthroughs of OoT I've done. Meanwhile, Fi stops you every time something happens because Nintendo thinks you're an idiot and you need to hear things 3-4 times.

Well press A faster. :P

Seriously though that didn't annoy me as much as Navi. Maybe it's the voice as Fi's voice was not something I would punch over and over again.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#204 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Wind Waker was about having the courage to build your own path and not let anybody force you to do otherwise.

Pikminmaniac

25810.jpg

You're looking way, way too deeply into something that isn't there and being completely wrong.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Wind Waker was about having the courage to build your own path and not let anybody force you to do otherwise.

ChubbyGuy40

25810.jpg

You're looking way, way too deeply into something that isn't there and being completely wrong.

Naw, there is absolutely WAY too much evidence that outright supports my claim. All you have to do is read the text in the game. It's RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU! You just have to look a tiny bit harder and you'll see that the rest of the game metaphorically support what the text in the game says.

So you don't think the game was trying to convey this when, after everything you did as the King asked you to do, was argued to be wrong by the king himself and that you should forge your own path instead of trying to resurect his kingdom of old. It's screaming this right at your head man!

[spoiler] My children... Listen to me.

I have lived regretting the past.
And I have faced those regrets.

If only I could do things over again...
Not a day of my life has gone by without
my thoughts turning to my kindom of old.

I have lived bound to Hyrule.

In that sense, I was the same as Ganondorf.

But you...

I want you to live for the future.

There may be nothing left for you...

But despite that, you must look forward
and walk a path of hope, trusting that it
will sustain you when darkness comes.

Farewell...

This is the only world that your ancestors
were able to leave you.

Please...forgive us. -King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule [/spoiler]

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Yeah you won.

Seabas989

Well press A faster. :P

Seriously though that didn't annoy me as much as Navi. Maybe it's the voice as Fi's voice was not something I would punch over and over again.

Navi's voice is more annoying but I'll take that over the game coming to a complete stop over and over and over again so I can hear the same damn thing I just heard. I expect that kind of BS in MGS, not Zelda.
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Fi is more interesting than navi.

WW is better than SS. Long fetch quest with no intro or warning is game breaking for the impatient, several small fetch quests over a less inspired overworld is also game breaking for the impatient.

Yep, opinions are great.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
Good game, but not the best Zelda.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#209 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

It's prolly my 3rd favourite game out there... Played it recently on a uhh... different platform >.> and it was still very enjoyable.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#210 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Pikminmaniac

25810.jpg

Naw, there is absolutely WAY too much evidence that outright supports my claim. All you have to do is read the text in the game. It's RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU! You just have to look a tiny bit harder and you'll see that the rest of the game metaphorically support what the text in the game says.

So you don't think the game was trying to convey this when, after everything you did as the King asked you to do, was argued to be wrong by the king himself and that you should forge your own path instead of trying to resurect his kingdom of old. It's screaming this right at your head man!

But you...

Farewell...

were able to leave you.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

25810.jpg

parkurtommo

But you...

Farewell...

were able to leave you.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

WOW, this speaks volumes about system wars. Only here can a legitimate and well made point be considered absolute madness...

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#212 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Best Zelda game, one of the best games of all time, of course it's relevant.
MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
Yep
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#214 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
The wind....
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

MM>WW

I wish they made that an HD remake if anything.

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Give me Skyward Sword over Wind Waker any day of the f*cking week. Yeah the overworld sucked, but Wind Waker's still isn't perfect because sailing is still ass. Aside from that, more importantly Skyward Sword's dungeons ans bosses take a giant sh!t over what Wind Waker tries to pass off as dungeons. Nintendo really nailed the dungeons in Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and even Spirit Tracks. Honestly its what's between the dungeons that has been limiting Zelda's potential as of late.
YoYo278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 YoYo278
Member since 2006 • 432 Posts

Hmmm,Zelda Remakes are a tough one, because you have the option of adding additional content, or just updating the graphics.Eiji Anouma has regularly stated no dungeons are just "left out"; rather they're incorporated into the next games in the series.

- Ocarina of Time was meant to have 2 additional dungeons and a 7-day week. These things were incorporated into Zelda DD, which was then made into Majora's Mask.
- Majoras Mask was meant to have 6 main dungeons, a 7-day week and larger world map. However, the finished product had 4 main dungeons and 5+ 'mini' dungeons. It's unclear how much of this was incorporated into Wind Waker.
- Wind Waker was meant to have 2 additional dungeons,

The reason WW is so different is because Eiji Anouma has been so vocal about the state of the finished game. He was upset it didn't sell, that dungeons were cut, the Hyrule underworld was too linear and people didn't enjoy manually travelling on boat.

What we have to think is "what can/will they do with 9 months development?"

- OoT:3D has a 1 year development cycle with an outsourced team of 20 and they managed to absolutely nail it.
- Majoras Mask had a 1 year development cycle and they managed to crank out an incredible, original game.
- Eiji was happy with the Phantom Hourglass auto-travelling, that will almost certainly be integrated in some way.
- Did they re-use the cut Wind Waker dungeons in Skyward Sword (most probably yes)
- If so, would they be willing to put 'new' dungeons into the remake instead of Zelda WiiU?
- Eiji anouma has acknowldged the tedious fetch questions and a western distaste for the Tingle character.
- Mario 64 DS is the only example of Nintendo retroactively remaking a game with substantially more content

The answer is; don't get your hopes up for anything more than a graphical overhaul, though the Tingle fetch quest will probably be shrunk down into a more refreshing series of challenges.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

One of my favorites of all time only marred by the stupid triforce fetch quest at the end. I hope Nintendo makes that optional in the HD release, instead giving us the two scrapped dungeons as a way to accomplish the same goal.

Also, please let us plot our sailing path via the touch screen without having to pull out the wind waker every few seconds. Like how it worked in Phantom Hourglass.

I can't wait until it releases. The Great Sea theme is one of the best pieces of music in gaming history IMO.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Hmmm,Zelda Remakes are a tough one, because you have the option of adding additional content, or just updating the graphics.Eiji Anouma has regularly stated no dungeons are just "left out"; rather they're incorporated into the next games in the series.

- Ocarina of Time was meant to have 2 additional dungeons and a 7-day week. These things were incorporated into Zelda DD, which was then made into Majora's Mask.
- Majoras Mask was meant to have 6 main dungeons, a 7-day week and larger world map. However, the finished product had 4 main dungeons and 5+ 'mini' dungeons. It's unclear how much of this was incorporated into Wind Waker.

The reason WW is so different is because Eiji Anouma has been so vocal about the state of the finished game. He was upset it didn't sell, that dungeons were cut, the Hyrule underworld was too linear and people didn't enjoy manually travelling on boat.

- OoT:3D has a 1 year development cycle with an outsourced team of 20 and they managed to absolutely nail it.
- Majoras Mask had a 1 year development cycle and they managed to crank out an incredible, original game.
- Eiji was happy with the Phantom Hourglass auto-travelling, that will almost certainly be integrated in some way.
- Did they re-use the cut Wind Waker dungeons in Skyward Sword (most probably yes)
- If so, would they be willing to put 'new' dungeons into the remake instead of Zelda WiiU?
- Eiji anouma has acknowldged the tedious fetch questions and a western distaste for the Tingle character.
- Mario 64 DS is the only example of Nintendo retroactively remaking a game with substantially more content

The answer is; don't get your hopes up for anything more than a graphical overhaul, though the Tingle fetch quest will probably be shrunk down into a more refreshing series of challenges.

YoYo278

If we assume cut content from each Zelda finds its way into the next game, that would mean cut Wind Waker content would land in Twilight Princess, not Skyward Sword

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Pikminmaniac

YoYo278

O GOD NO! The sailing in Phantom Hourglass was such a disgusting downgrade from what was present in Wind Waker. Besides it doesn't translate very well anyways. Wind Waker's sailing was built around you having real time control of your boat. They'd have to change a lot more than just the method of movement in order for that to work.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#221 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

[QUOTE="YoYo278"]

Pikminmaniac

O GOD NO! The sailing in Phantom Hourglass was such a disgusting downgrade from what was present in Wind Waker. Besides it doesn't translate very well anyways. Wind Waker's sailing was built around you having real time control of your boat. They'd have to change a lot more than just the method of movement in order for that to work.

It would only be an option, if they did it at all. Though I don't see how they would make it work with the wind direction mechanic.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 DarkLink77

YoYo278
If they remove the Triforce Quest, I would buy the game. Anything less than that, and I am not interested.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
[QUOTE="YoYo278"]

DarkLink77
If they remove the Triforce Quest, I would buy the game. Anything less than that, and I am not interested.

What's so bad about it? Never played it.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="YoYo278"]

Heil68

What's so bad about it? Never played it.

It grinds the game to a halt until you go find eight pieces of the Triforce that are under the water. And the game doesn't tell you where they are.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Heil68"] What's so bad about it? Never played it.

It grinds the game to a halt until you go find eight pieces of the Triforce that are under the water. And the game doesn't tell you where they are.

Hmnm, I guess I would use a guide then since that does sound pretty tedious.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Heil68"] What's so bad about it? Never played it.

Yeah. But still, you shouldn't be forced to use a guide to actually do that section in a reasonable amount of time.
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

I don't think it needs to be relevant for the game to be rereleased and for it to be successful. Its relevence is also subjective. All that matters is that Zelda as a franchise is still relevant (which itclearlyis) and that people are excited for the comeback of Wind Waker. Which again, they clearly are. When it releases and people play and buy it in droves you'll have nothing to fear. Nintendo is doing just fine by all of us gamers. And we are more than thankful for it.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Heil68"] What's so bad about it? Never played it. Heil68

Uh, okay well that's just not true at all. The game gives you the locations on the map. Sail to the designated area, use the grapple to retrieve them from the water, bam. Done. Call it good. Simple.

The end.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#229 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Yes Wind Waker still is but I guess I'm being biased since it's my fav Zelda game of all time.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#230 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] It grinds the game to a halt until you go find eight pieces of the Triforce that are under the water. And the game doesn't tell you where they are.Darth-Samus

Uh, okay well that's just not true at all. The game gives you the locations on the map. Sail to the designated area, use the grapple to retrieve them from the water, bam. Done. Call it good. Simple.

The end.

You forgot the part how you have to pay Tingle absurd amounts of cash to get maps to help guide you.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] Hmnm, I guess I would use a guide then since that does sound pretty tedious. DJ-Lafleur

The end.

You forgot the part how you have to pay Tingle absurd amounts of cash to get maps to help guide you.

^This. If it was that easy, it wouldn't be universally reviled.