Is The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Still Relevant?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Wind Waker is the bravest game in a series that doesnt get much credit for bravery. It took guts to veer away from Noughties games obsession with grimy realism and commit itself to a colourfully minimalist, cartoon art style that reflected the Zelda series sense of childish wonder instead. It took bravery to quite literally wash away the open fields and mountains and lakes of old Hyrule, with all the familiar locations and characters and villains and mythology, and replace it with a vast ocean dotted with little islands. Although Wind Wakers world would reveal itself to be more closely connected to the Hyrule of old than it first appeared, it was still arrestingly, powerfully new.

And like many new things, Wind Waker initially struggled to find a place in the hearts of the hardcore. The new art style caused a fanboy ruckus equal in recent memory only to that stirred up by Ninja Theorys new Dante (which proved equally spurious in the end). What we didnt understand until Wind Waker actually came out was that the visual style of the game perfectly reflects the childlike, ingenuous delight in exploration and discovery at the Zelda series heart. Links credulous little face is disarmingly alive. The game leaps from the screen.IGN

The sailing accompanied by the triumphant Great Sea theme, one of Koji Kondo and his composition teams most stirring pieces of music also reflects that ideology. There are few images as evocative of discovery as that of a ship disappearing over the horizon and out into the blue. Wind Waker has around 50 islands, each with secrets, most of which lie far out of your path. Like the very first Zeldas dungeons, theyre there for you to find, but they arent always put in your path. This is as relevant as ever now, when games so frequently suffocate our impulses towards independent exploration with hand-holding and inflexible cinematic direction. Wind Waker lets you play.

Wind Waker wasnt a stepping-stone to something else, as significant games sometimes are.

Its characterisation was different, too. Instead of the largely absent Princess Zelda of the series past, we got the vivacious, wise-cracking, fiercely independent Tetra not a wan damsel in need of saving, but a pirate who was as much Links mentor as his friend. This is a mantle that Skyward Sword took up, crafting a sweet and totally unpatronising relationship between Zelda and Link that lent a new dimension to the series, adding smart writing and a touch of humanity to a set of characters that were previously impersonal.

Wind Waker wasnt a stepping-stone to something else, as significant games sometimes are. It was is self-contained, which is one of the reasons it still feels fresh when you play it. It was perfectly cognisant of the limitations of the GameCube technology, and crafted a visual style that worked within them rather than pushing them to breaking point; where the semi-realistic games of the time look painfully dated now, Wind Waker still looks great, because it looks like itself.IGN

Everyone has their special games, the ones that came along at a pivotal time in life. Wind Waker is mine, but its not just nostalgic affection that makes me delighted to see it in HD. Wind Waker is a bold refutation to anyone who says that the Zelda series never changes, a reminder that this isnt a complacent series, or an exploitative one that actually, its never been afraid of reinventing itself.IGN

SOURCE

It's a brilliant, timeless game, one that is perhaps least in the need of a remake, but one that above all else epitomizes Nintendo. How fitting then that it will be their newest console's first must have title.

Enforcedspot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Enforcedspot
Member since 2010 • 2915 Posts
Yes i love that game.
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Worst game ever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Worst game ever. Badosh
Your mother
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Well, its obviously relevant now with the remake.

Even ignoring that though, WW is certainly relevant and will be deemed a classic I'm sure, despite it's initial mixed reputation.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts
Wind Waker was my favorite Zelda game of all time, and one of the greatest games of all time in my book. I can't wait til it comes out!
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
Never played it but leave it to Nintendo to bring back old irrelevant games and its fans to just eat that shiit up.
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Your mother

Brilliant comeback, friend.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Nah.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="Badosh"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Your mother

Brilliant comeback, friend.

Thank you

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Never played it .percech
Therein lies your first problem

Nah.

MLBknights58
Yeah
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i didn't bother reading because lolign, but wind waker is one of my favorite games of all time, and one of the best zelda games of all time too.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Wind Waker is probably still relevant since it's Zelda. But it's not even close to being a timeless game. It's filled with plenty of missteps from Nintendo(if not more than what TP had, not nearly as sloppy in spots as Skyward Sword). The art work in that game I thought was timeless, and so far the HD version of this game and the dolphin version of this game fail to capture the greatness of that art work to be quite honest.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
never played it, so still relevant to me
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
Where is Majora's Mask HD????

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Where is Majora's Mask HD????princeofshapeir
There is no such thing. There will be a Majora's Mask 3D, that we can expect some time after the 3DS original Zelda game has released.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
i didn't bother reading because lolign, but wind waker is one of my favorite games of all time, and one of the best zelda games of all time too.BrunoBRS
It's by Keza, which means it's actually a well written, well thought out piece, not the usual drivel they come up with. (Keza used to work with Eurogamer).
TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Yeah, yeah, Nintendo give me my Majora's Mask for the 3DS.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jg4xchamp
Where is Majora's Mask HD????princeofshapeir
Or where is just an actual next original Zelda game that just happens to mess with the Zelda formula the way MM did. I'd rather a new take than another remake.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
It's still Nintendo going for easy money. I bet there's a disc of prior Zelda games included for pre order, or a voucher for for VC versions of Link To the Past and Minish Cap.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 princeofshapeir
[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]Where is Majora's Mask HD????charizard1605
There is no such thing. There will be a Majora's Mask 3D, that we can expect some time after the 3DS original Zelda game has released.

Why couldn't they do Twilight Princess HD? Remake it with Wii U hardware in mind? It would have benefited so much from a graphical upgrade (being the superior Zelda game and all) :(
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BrunoBRS
Wind Waker is probably still relevant since it's Zelda. But it's not even close to being a timeless game. It's filled with plenty of missteps from Nintendo(if not more than what TP had, not nearly as sloppy in spots as Skyward Sword). The art work in that game I thought was timeless, and so far the HD version of this game and the dolphin version of this game fail to capture the greatness of that art work to be quite honest. jg4xchamp
how does the dolphin version fail to capture the looks of the original? i mean, it's exactly the same game, just uprezzed so it doesn't look like a blurry mess on new monitors.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
Best game on the cube
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Should be on Vita soon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]Where is Majora's Mask HD????princeofshapeir

Why couldn't they do Twilight Princess HD? Remake it with Wii U hardware in mind? It would have benefited so much from a graphical upgrade (being the superior Zelda game and all) :(

Ignoring the last, factually incorrect part about your post (:P), they probably will later on. The N64 Zelda games for the 3DS. The Gamecube ones for the Wii U.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 princeofshapeir
Best game on the cubeNEWMAHAY
Sir let me introduce you to my friend. His name is Melee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Wind Waker is probably still relevant since it's Zelda. But it's not even close to being a timeless game. It's filled with plenty of missteps from Nintendo(if not more than what TP had, not nearly as sloppy in spots as Skyward Sword). The art work in that game I thought was timeless, and so far the HD version of this game and the dolphin version of this game fail to capture the greatness of that art work to be quite honest. BrunoBRS
how does the dolphin version fail to capture the looks of the original? i mean, it's exactly the same game, just uprezzed so it doesn't look like a blurry mess on new monitors.

It also removes the smear filter.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

I wonder how it will look compared to A Hat in Time which uses the same art style

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Wind Waker is probably still relevant since it's Zelda. But it's not even close to being a timeless game. It's filled with plenty of missteps from Nintendo(if not more than what TP had, not nearly as sloppy in spots as Skyward Sword). The art work in that game I thought was timeless, and so far the HD version of this game and the dolphin version of this game fail to capture the greatness of that art work to be quite honest. BrunoBRS

That water is for starters is overkill, it's like they full on want to make it look like actual water. The beauty of the look of that game was how full on cartoon territory it looked, and the dolphin bit takes it away from one of the most important aspects of Wind Waker: The overworld.

I much prefer the other 2D nintendo games that have uprezzed visuals. Those look far more pleasant without sacrificing the looks of the original games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

I wonder how it will look compared to A Hat in Time which uses the same art style

NoodleFighter
What's A Hat in Time?
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]Best game on the cubeprinceofshapeir
Sir let me introduce you to my friend. His name is Melee

My friend, clearly you meant to say Star Wars Rogue Leader
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

I'm neven sure if a remake was needed. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but the artstyle in the original game can stand through the test of time. I'm not complaining though, the remake looks good. I hope it includes new content like a Hero Mode from SS.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Wind Waker is probably still relevant since it's Zelda. But it's not even close to being a timeless game. It's filled with plenty of missteps from Nintendo(if not more than what TP had, not nearly as sloppy in spots as Skyward Sword). The art work in that game I thought was timeless, and so far the HD version of this game and the dolphin version of this game fail to capture the greatness of that art work to be quite honest. charizard1605

It also removes the smear filter.

i... don't recall any smear filter :/ all i know is that trying to play the original version on my monitor, even if i set it to 4:3, makes it look blurry.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Wind Waker is probably still relevant since it's Zelda. But it's not even close to being a timeless game. It's filled with plenty of missteps from Nintendo(if not more than what TP had, not nearly as sloppy in spots as Skyward Sword). The art work in that game I thought was timeless, and so far the HD version of this game and the dolphin version of this game fail to capture the greatness of that art work to be quite honest. jg4xchamp

That water is for starters is overkill, it's like they full on want to make it look like actual water. The beauty of the look of that game was how full on cartoon territory it looked, and the dolphin bit takes it away from one of the most important aspects of Wind Waker: The overworld.

I much prefer the other 2D nintendo games that have uprezzed visuals. Those look far more pleasant without sacrificing the looks of the original games.

are you sure you didn't see the fan pics with that horrible pseudorealistic water and mistook it for the dolphin version? wind waker on dolphin looks like wind waker on the GCN. :/ PS: it's f*cking hard to find decent shots of wind waker now that the HD remake is all over the internet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] how does the dolphin version fail to capture the looks of the original? i mean, it's exactly the same game, just uprezzed so it doesn't look like a blurry mess on new monitors.BrunoBRS

are you sure you didn't see the fan pics with that horrible pseudorealistic water and mistook it for the dolphin version? wind waker on dolphin looks like wind waker on the GCN. :/ PS: it's f*cking hard to find decent shots of wind waker now that the HD remake is all over the internet.

Oh goodness, I think my heart just melted when I saw that. That is brilliant, that's beautiful. Yo, come on Steam, I want to ask you something.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

The Wind Waker is a masterpiece.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

charizard1605

What's A Hat in Time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdWS4EQKGTo

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Worst game ever. Badosh

Zero taste :x

You don't deserve a Lights sig... Man I would let her have my babies!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

NoodleFighter

What's A Hat in Time?

Okay that's friggin adorable! What's it for? Xbox?
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] What's A Hat in Time?charizard1605

PC, it's currently on Steam Greenlight

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] how does the dolphin version fail to capture the looks of the original? i mean, it's exactly the same game, just uprezzed so it doesn't look like a blurry mess on new monitors.BrunoBRS

Oh wait's that dolphin?

Than what ws that pic in the other thread?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
The artstyle sure is. I mean, it's still a very charming looking game. I loved it.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

[QUOTE="Badosh"]Worst game ever. lundy86_4

Zero taste :x

You don't deserve a Lights sig... Man I would let her have my babies!

I'm still here >.>.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jg4xchamp
ww04.jpeg So that's a fan version? Because that sh1t is gross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

NoodleFighter

Gonna go vote for it. I want that now.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
^ That's what I thought. They put Half-Life 2 water in there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]ww04.jpeg So that's a fan version? Because that sh1t is gross

That's a fan render, and it's an insult to the original game.
Enforcedspot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Enforcedspot
Member since 2010 • 2915 Posts
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] So that's a fan version? Because that sh1t is gross

yes, that's the fan creation
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BrunoBRS

NoodleFighter

you need to link me. that game is too adorable not to be purchased.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker/user-reviews/168977/platform/gamecube/

My review