Is 3DS a great handheld (or have we merely lowered our standards)?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

With mobile gaming offering nothing interesting and the PS Vita having no great exclusives at all, 3DS has become the best possible choice for portable gaming.  But mainly because the others are weaker.

3DS visually is not very impressive and seems not much better than the original PSP to be honest.  It lacks a strong online-play library.  The 3D mechanic is not very essential, especially seeing how they abandoned it on the 2DS.  Animal Crossing, Mario 3D World, Fire Emblem and Zelda look great, but I'm going to need a lot more than just that.

It may be better than the original DS or it's competitors, but the 3DS really isn't a leap forward.  It's moreso a continuation with minor improvements.  The Nintendo DS blew me away with innovation, whereas the 3DS seems to take the DS's innovations and run with it rather than adding anything substantially new.

3DS isn't amazing.  It is still good though - but not great.  We've just grown comfortable with accepting a lower standard.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
Enjoying a steady flow of awesome games is lowering our standards now?
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
Meh handheld, but it has great games.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

It has an excellent library of japanese games, but as a platform its mediocre at best.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

It bet on the wrong horse (3D).

It should have included a second thumbstick.  If it had that, it'd be much better.

Still has the Japanese handheld market on lock, though.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
Bad hardware and system software, but it has some good titles that sheep overrate due to their console being completely irrelevant on SW.
guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

It has a sexy library of games. Thats all I really need 

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#8 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
I love it how hardware specs determines peoples' appreciation toward a system.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shinobishyguy
Bad hardware and system software, but it has some good titles that sheep overrate due to their console being completely irrelevant on SW. MFDOOM1983
or maybe (and bear with me here) its actually good. Difficult concept for you to grasp I know. You're so used to shitting on nintendo that you've become conditioned to not know quality when you see it
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
3DS library is overrated as **** but it has a good library and a steady flow of quality releases. The hardware is average at best and I'd prefer if alot of the non dual screen games were made for the Vita instead but ah well. The Vita is underrated which is understandable since a lot it's best stuff is staying in Japan which isn't a problem for me. Hardware is great though. I have no opinion on mobile since I have no experience with mobile games.
Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
Compared to what? The Vita? lol.
TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TecmoGirl
Member since 2007 • 3965 Posts

Meh handheld, but it has great games.freedomfreak

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#13 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]Bad hardware and system software, but it has some good titles that sheep overrate due to their console being completely irrelevant on SW. Shinobishyguy
or maybe (and bear with me here) its actually good. Difficult concept for you to grasp I know. You're so used to shitting on nintendo that you've become conditioned to not know quality when you see it

Clap clap clap.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MFDOOM1983
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]Bad hardware and system software, but it has some good titles that sheep overrate due to their console being completely irrelevant on SW. Shinobishyguy

Nah, I'm pretty sure sheep are just overrating it. Especially, the ones that think it has the best line-up of the year.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]Bad hardware and system software, but it has some good titles that sheep overrate due to their console being completely irrelevant on SW. MFDOOM1983

Nah, I'm pretty sure sheep are just overrating it. Especially, the ones that think it has the best line-up of the year.

When it comes to exclusives it pretty much does have the best lineup this year
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
its way shittier than gb color/advance/advance SP/DS. I want to own one but there's only one game that interests me, Luigi's Mansion... In all these years only one game i care, at least its better than Vita cuz there's not a single game i care about
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

The device sucks majorly, but the games sure don't.

TigerSpiderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TigerSpiderman
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
It's lacking many things the other Nintendo systems had, including western support which the 3DS stopped trying to get after the 2nd Quarter of its first year. It is indeed not as good, but I don't think you know what lowering standards means.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MFDOOM1983
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]or maybe (and bear with me here) its actually good. Difficult concept for you to grasp I know. You're so used to shitting on nintendo that you've become conditioned to not know quality when you see it

Relative to handhelds, sure. But it doesn't even come close to consoles, let alone pc, in GS leaderboards. You can prefer the titles found on 3ds, but lets not pretend it's dominating anything.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Bad hardware and system software, but it has some good titles that sheep overrate due to their console being completely irrelevant on SW. MFDOOM1983
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

3DS is just a DS with a little better graphics hardware, thats it. Games still look exactly the same only a little better, same size, same shape, same interface, same layout, same everything. Except it has a 3D gimmick thrown in where they hoped people would get hyped by the gimmick, but no one did thats why they are turning the 3ds into a ds with the 2ds coming out soon.

Hardware aside from its game library is 65% shit shovelware, 25% of nintendos same old franchises being brought out for the 609th time, and 10% is actually good and most of those games are from Atlus.

So all in all the 3ds is ok if you can get past the fact you just bought a DS for a minor hardware upgrade and a useless gimmick all so you can play mostly shit games and 30 year old nintendo franchises with a couple good games here and there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I think expecting it to be as godly as it's predecessor is a bit unfair. If you expect every game system to be as godly as the DS or PS2 your gonna have a bad time.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
The hardware is a mess, but damn, that software library is incredible.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"] Nah, I'm pretty sure sheep are just overrating it. Especially, the ones that think it has the best line-up of the year.

Relative to handhelds, sure. But it doesn't even come close to consoles, let alone pc, in GS leaderboards. You can prefer the titles found on 3ds, but lets not pretend it's dominating anything.

Comparing handheld games to console and PC games is i don't know stupid? The experience not to mention scope and budget can be vastly different. 3DS has great games but it's a handheld not a console nor a PC. It will never surpass graphics, sound, etc. on consoles and PCs that much requires one brain cell.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

The library is pretty mediocre and the hardware is terrible. Only a couple games like 999 and Ace Attorney stand out.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MFDOOM1983
Sheep have must extremely low standards if they think 11 titles rated 7.0 & up is incredible for a 9 months. PC is sitting at around 70+ games rated 7.0+, 4 of which are AAA. And sheep think they're in the race..... :nick cage laughing gif: And the gap will only widen in the coming months. Like I said, Sheep are overrating 3ds's library because wii-u is in the shitter.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lordlors
Sheep have must extremely low standards if they think 11 titles rated 7.0 & up is incredible for a 9 months. PC is sitting at around 70+ games rated 7.0+, 4 of which are AAA. And sheep think they're in the race..... :nick cage laughing gif: And the gap will only widen in the coming months. Like I said, Sheep are overrating 3ds's library because wii-u is in the shitter. MFDOOM1983
comparing a handheld to a PC lol Can i go play Rome 2 Total War on my handheld now?
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MFDOOM1983
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]When it comes to exclusives it pretty much does have the best lineup this yearlordlors

Comparing handheld games to console and PC games is i don't know stupid? The experience not to mention scope and budget can be vastly different. 3DS has great games but it's a handheld not a console nor a PC. It will never surpass graphics, sound, etc. on consoles and PCs that much requires one brain cell.

Yeah, the comparison is pretty funny, but sheep like to pretend handhelds can compete with the big boys. Hence, their claims of 2013 line-up superiority.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FlamesOfGrey
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]Sheep have must extremely low standards if they think 11 titles rated 7.0 & up is incredible for a 9 months. PC is sitting at around 70+ games rated 7.0+, 4 of which are AAA. And sheep think they're in the race..... :nick cage laughing gif: And the gap will only widen in the coming months. Like I said, Sheep are overrating 3ds's library because wii-u is in the shitter. lordlors
comparing a handheld to a PC lol Can i go play Rome 2 Total War on my handheld now?

Sheep are claiming the 3DS has the best library over any system for 2013 so they opened themselves up to getting compare to any and every system.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lordlors
[QUOTE="lordlors"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]Sheep have must extremely low standards if they think 11 titles rated 7.0 & up is incredible for a 9 months. PC is sitting at around 70+ games rated 7.0+, 4 of which are AAA. And sheep think they're in the race..... :nick cage laughing gif: And the gap will only widen in the coming months. Like I said, Sheep are overrating 3ds's library because wii-u is in the shitter. FlamesOfGrey

Sheep are claiming the 3DS has the best library over any system for 2013 so they opened themselves up to getting compare to any and every system.

Sheep here and there I don't care. The fact that you guys compare a handheld to a gaming PC is just laughable. Even PC is different from the consoles.
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Pretty much this.

TigerSpiderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TigerSpiderman
[QUOTE="lordlors"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="lordlors"] comparing a handheld to a PC lol Can i go play Rome 2 Total War on my handheld now?

Sheep here and there I don't care. The fact that you guys compare a handheld to a gaming PC is just laughable. Even PC is different from the consoles.

You need a PC to make console games atm.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"]It's lacking many things the other Nintendo systems had, including western support which the 3DS stopped trying to get after the 2nd Quarter of its first year. It is indeed not as good, but I don't think you know what lowering standards means.

outside of licensed movie shovelware nintendo handhelds almost never get western support. and for the most part they don't need it because the sheer girth of Japanese support more than makes up for it
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lordlors
[QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"][QUOTE="lordlors"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"] Sheep are claiming the 3DS has the best library over any system for 2013 so they opened themselves up to getting compare to any and every system.

Duh? Consoles still as always offer inferior experiences from PC. The only thing going for consoles are its exclusives.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FlamesOfGrey
[QUOTE="lordlors"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="lordlors"] comparing a handheld to a PC lol Can i go play Rome 2 Total War on my handheld now?

People should choose their words more carefully and not make blanket statements. If you do you will get challenged on it. There are no special rules with statements like that period.
Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Great system, for me it's definitely been the best system this year.

TigerSpiderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TigerSpiderman
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"]It's lacking many things the other Nintendo systems had, including western support which the 3DS stopped trying to get after the 2nd Quarter of its first year. It is indeed not as good, but I don't think you know what lowering standards means.

outside of licensed movie shovelware nintendo handhelds almost never get western support. and for the most part they don't need it because the sheer girth of Japanese support more than makes up for it

And you have no clue what you are talking about whatsoever. You are not defending Nintendo handhelds that you have never actually played or know much about their libraries.
TigerSpiderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TigerSpiderman
[QUOTE="lordlors"][QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"][QUOTE="lordlors"] Sheep here and there I don't care. The fact that you guys compare a handheld to a gaming PC is just laughable. Even PC is different from the consoles.

Duh? Consoles still as always offer inferior experiences from PC. The only thing going for consoles are its exclusives.

So you admit that your "they are different" statement is BS?
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"]It's lacking many things the other Nintendo systems had, including western support which the 3DS stopped trying to get after the 2nd Quarter of its first year. It is indeed not as good, but I don't think you know what lowering standards means.

And you have no clue what you are talking about whatsoever. You are not defending Nintendo handhelds that you have never actually played or know much about their libraries.

looks at all of the best DS games. How many are made by western studios? Yeah, not many :|
TigerSpiderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TigerSpiderman
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] outside of licensed movie shovelware nintendo handhelds almost never get western support. and for the most part they don't need it because the sheer girth of Japanese support more than makes up for it

looks at all of the best DS games. How many are made by western studios? Yeah, not many :|

Not you added a new category. Define "The best".
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"] And you have no clue what you are talking about whatsoever. You are not defending Nintendo handhelds that you have never actually played or know much about their libraries.

titles that are actually worth a damn and aren't bargain bin trash?
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MFDOOM1983

1. Handheld games are judged by lower standards because of hardware limitations.

2. PC is dominating all platforms this year by having the largest library of high scoring games.

3. Wii-U still sucks.

I think that's everything.:P

TigerSpiderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TigerSpiderman
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]looks at all of the best DS games. How many are made by western studios? Yeah, not many :|

From what I am looking at a western game is considered the highest rated DS game. Then After that, about 25 others. It's funny because that is more high rated western TP support than Easter TP support on MC.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

the 3d was supposed to be amazing...and it is to me...playing games like luigis mansion, rayman 2, pilotwings resort in 3d look almost like is real world that you could live in.

its amazing but unfortunately most of people eyes were uncomfortable to it or didnt like it. a lot of the money went into that 3d screen and tech....

who knows what theyll do next gen but i hope the 3d stays and have at least xbox 360 graphics :)

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lordlors

[QUOTE="lordlors"][QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"] You need a PC to make console games atm.TigerSpiderman

nope. it proves i'm right and that you are ignorant of PC gaming. The PC experience is different from console experience.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"] Not you added a new category. Define "The best".TigerSpiderman

From what I am looking at a western game is considered the highest rated DS game. Then After that, about 25 others. It's funny because that is more high rated western TP support than Easter TP support on MC.

are you even looking at the same list, becuase the ratio of good jp/western games is like 10:1 :|

gta china town wars which is one of the very few western games on the ds that is actually good. Outside of that their are very few. Most of the best games came from Nintendo, capcom [back when they weren't complete shit] konami, atlus, and even squareenix

TigerSpiderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TigerSpiderman

[QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"][QUOTE="lordlors"] Duh? Consoles still as always offer inferior experiences from PC. The only thing going for consoles are its exclusives.lordlors

nope. it proves i'm right and that you are ignorant of PC gaming. The PC experience is different from console experience.

No it's not. 7th gen introduced PC compatible consoles. the only difference is resolution and AA. They are played the exact same way or CAN be played the exact same way. You seem to not know much about PC gaming in modern times.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lordlors
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="lordlors"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"] Sheep are claiming the 3DS has the best library over any system for 2013 so they opened themselves up to getting compare to any and every system.

People should choose their words more carefully and not make blanket statements. If you do you will get challenged on it. There are no special rules with statements like that period.

And there are also no special rules with stupid comparisons and statements regardless who and where it is aimed at. Comparing a handheld to a PC is stupid period.
TigerSpiderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TigerSpiderman
[QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]titles that are actually worth a damn and aren't bargain bin trash?Shinobishyguy

gta china town wars which is one of the very few western games on the ds that is actually good. Outside of that their are very few. Most of the best games came from Nintendo, capcom [back when they weren't complete shit] konami, atlus, and even squareenix

Nope, clearly fro MC most of the top TP support is western and not eastern. Cleary when you go see who developed what on the system and that big green box next to those games with the numbers in them. Capcom games include second party, but other wise, are probably the only major eastern TP in the top along with Nintendos FP. not to mention there were handfuls of western devs with green boxes within the first two years of the DS life. The 3DS in its life so far has yet to come to half of that. Same with GBA. Same with GBC, and same with GBC.