In your opinion (!), what's the worst game that GS has ever awarded goty?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#101 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
From that list? Augh... The SIMS: first off, how many expansion packs did we really **** need, EA? If there was ever an argument for the sake of DLC as a positive, this "game" would be it... and I use the term game lightly here, because if anything, it seems to more like play you into doing its bidding, than you playing its features to get characters to do stuff. Successive SIMS titles have basically been little more than cash grabs with token upgrades and functionality check-ons than anything legitimately groundbreaking. And sadly, I would even suggest this is one of the titles contributing to the "dying PC gaming" market. Which leads us conveniently to... World of Warcraft : this game sucks heinously. There, I said it. And because of it, we now have this "MMO movement" where nearly every PC game wants to be some kind of MMO when it really didn't have to be. Exteel from NCsoft could have been a nice, full-fledged, mecha-combat game by itself, but they made it into a free-to-play MMOG, with microtransactions out the ass. There's also the fact that you're basically paying for a disc that you don't even really own, because the disc is worthless without some active internet connection and subscription fee most of the time. muhmorpugers - to coin mr. Yahtzee Croshaw - are also basically designed to require as little interaction as possible, while making you play as long as possible, and require some amount of grouping to really get anywhere. WoW can be fully credited with killing off Starcraft: Ghost, and pretty much every Blizzard game project for the past five(+) years since its initial release. It killed off what could have been an epic KotOR 3 in favor of making it into another cash-in MMOG whose only saving grace after EA shuts down the servers eventually is that it retconned SWG out of existence. And if you really need another reason to resent this game and Blizzard for making it... people have died because of, and for, this game. I'm sorry, but when a video game starts being accredited with the deaths of living human beings, there's something wrong with that equation. Demon's Souls : really lousy name for this generation's Ghosts 'n Goblins. Sorry, but games that choose to go that route should be automatically disqualified from ANY G.O.T.Y. nomination.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#102 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Demons Souls is by no means the worst game to win Goty, but it wasn't even the best RPG of 2009, Dragon Age was by far better, and to cross genres Uncharted 2 was also better. But still not as good as Dragon Age.

Shoaka

I agree, I personally thought uncharted 2 should have won GOTY.

Nevlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 Nevlim
Member since 2007 • 5312 Posts
Gears of War. Yeah its good and fun but its not GOTY worthy.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Quick question (and maybe TC should ask it in the OP) if a certain game was not worthy of that game of the year, than what game during that year was a better pick in your eyes?Master_ShakeXXX

That's a great question. Added.

i said mine for 1999 in my first post..i still cant believe it won.. but whatever
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#105 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="raiden509"]

Demon souls . The game was made for masochistic psychos who would have been better off just giving the money to a dominatrix . ( yes i couldn't beat the first level . yes mad )

raiden509

you could have been the magic dudes. It's like playing the game on super easy mode when you play as one of them :P

Since my xbox just gave me an E74 error looks like im going to start playing demon souls again . But yeah i had the bright idea of playing a barbarian as my first character which after reading a couple of threads i found out is a huge no no .

Great to hear you're giving it another shot. Demon's Souls was kind of the same way for me at first. First few times I played it I got pissed off sooooo much. I logged onto GS and started complaining on the Demon's Souls message board about how rediculously unfair and stupid the game was, how overrated and a big waste of money it was.

The people on the DS board however explained to me (some of them weren't nice about it, lol) that I was playing it wrong, that I needed to give the game another chance and take it slow. Thank god I listened, because I tried it again (at a much slower pace), I started getting used to the admittedly steep difficulty, and I fell in love with the game. I honestly HATED it at first, but I fell in love with it and to this day it's one of my favorites. Holy crap that would have sucked if I never gave it a second chance (not saying you will experience the same though)

RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 RogueShodown
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts
^ Play Okami, it only gets better. You will love it :PGiancar
I need to play that game. I bought it right after it became GH, but got stuck somewhere at the beginning and touched it again. That's pretty much the story with 40% of my PS2 games :P. I'll revisit then once I get a better TV.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="enterawesome"]Demons Souls, by FAAARRR. That game is terrible!enterawesome

Really? I can understand you not getting into it... but you really believe it was TERRIBLE?

Absolutely. Any game that enforces such ridiculous trial-and-error, inbalanced classes, piss-poor controls, awful lock-on, and 1-hit kills is poorly designed on many levels. It's also incredibly boring. All I get is two attacks to start with? :lol: Also, I guess I should throw in the 'IMO' thing, as I'm sure this will ruffle some feathers, even though it's in the thread title.

I kind of already posted this, but I felt the same way about it at first. It's fine if you don't like it, but I highly recommend you give it another go, because you MAY start to see it's charm, and fall in love with it. I know I did. Ok, I have been defending Demon's Souls long enough :lol:

hellhund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 hellhund
Member since 2003 • 1984 Posts

WoW was nothing new or special, but Gears was just boring, even on co-op, which is a pretty hard thing to do. So I'd say GeoW.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#109 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Serious Sam is fun, but definitely not GotY fun I'd say, so that.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

I was all prepared to say Demon's Souls, but I conpletely forgot that Serious Sam (!?!?) has co-GOTY honors. So in that case...Demon's Souls,

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#111 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Probably Chrono Cross. Never played it, but doesn't it suck? My least favorite game on that list is WOW.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Master_ShakeXXX

I forgot to add which game I would prefer to have seen won. Well for 2004 I would have much preferred to see Metal Gear Solid 3 win over WOW. 2006 is a tough one, because I can't remember playing very many games from that year. I suppose it would be between Resistance: Fall of Man and Halo 3.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#113 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

I forgot to add which game I would prefer to have seen won. Well for 2004 I would have much preferred to see Metal Gear Solid 3 win over WOW. 2006 is a tough one, because I can't remember playing very many games from that year. I suppose it would be between Resistance: Fall of Man and Halo 3.

Master_ShakeXXX
Halo 3 was in 2007
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#114 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
I am gonna agree with demon souls.
Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts
Super Mario Galaxy. Hate it.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Master_ShakeXXX

jg4xchamp

Halo 3 was in 2007

*punches self in face*

Ok, that settles it. R:FOM was my 2006 goty. Yeah, go on and laugh...

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

WoW easily.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#118 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I pretty much agree with all of GS' GOTY's except for MGSIV, which should have been given to LBP. Although, I haven't played, DS so I can't say if it really was better that U2.

Unlike most people, I agree with WOW GOTY. The huge impact it had, and still has is more than enough for it to deserve it, I think. I think the only other competition it had was Half Life 2?

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

WOW & Demon Souls

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#120 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts
gears
Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Ravenchrome
Member since 2010 • 1776 Posts

Master_ShakeXXX

NO. WoW is new for most people out there back then. MSG 3 design is tire back then.

MGS4 is even worse.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 waltefmoney

Ravenchrome

NO. WoW is new for most people out there back then. MSG 3 design is tire back then.

MGS4 is even worse.

That post makes no sense. MGS design was old, but WoW design was new? How come? It's one of the most generic MMORPG's out there, it did absolutely NOTHING new.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Ravenchrome

[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

waltefmoney

MGS4 is even worse.

That post makes no sense. MGS design was old, but WoW design was new? How come? It's one of the most generic MMORPG's out there, it did absolutely NOTHING new.

LOL, it's good and polished and it draws a lot of people to play it, it was no easy task to make a high quality game with the size and the density of WoW and have and impact on the industry.

Other MMOs often fail to keep up with consistent quality.

If someday Blizzard makes a stealth game, they will look at MGS or others in the genre and perfected it and be the best in the genre. That's how they operate and I have a confidence that they can.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#124 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts

Wind Waker. KOTOR annihilates it, and should have won GOTY that year.

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
Anything but MGS4 and Demon's Souls:)
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#126 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Gears of War.

Also The Sims. It's 2000, the year Deus Ex was released.

Konxumer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Konxumer
Member since 2005 • 711 Posts
I have to go with Metroid Prime. The controls were just plain wonky for me on the gamecube. I was able to deal with it in the trilogy for the wii.
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
I can't say for sure, all of them are great but it comes down to personal preference and how good/bad that year was.
nbessiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 nbessiner
Member since 2009 • 731 Posts

I would say wow, Half life 2 should have won

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Ravenchrome

I would say wow, Half life 2 should have won

nbessiner

WoW has bigger impact on its genre and set a FAR higher new bar for its genre than what came before.

HL2 did too for FPS but overall, WoW just had more impact.

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
Gears it's a good game but GOTY no.
Magik85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Magik85
Member since 2009 • 1078 Posts
MGS4
YuriSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 YuriSH
Member since 2010 • 1803 Posts
Gears of War and Super Mario Galaxy for me. Gears of War was great, but I would of gave Okami GotY. Super Mario Galaxy didn't do anything for me, but I love Portal so I probably would give it GotY.
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

Gears of War.

It's a solid game but it's not GOTY material by any means. Very little variety, it's just a solid albeit repetitive shooting game. The fact that GS gave Twilight Princess an 8.8 and gave GoW GOTY in the same year really speaks for how screwy they can be.

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 oldkingallant
Anything but MGS4 and Demon's Souls:)Deathtransit
PS3 bias much?
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 oldkingallant

Wind Waker. KOTOR annihilates it, and should have won GOTY that year.

Renegade_Fury
Well my love for Wind Waker is well documented, but I have to admit it was probably just a toss up between the two. Seriously they probably flipped a coin or something at GS to decide who won.
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 oldkingallant

Wait did I say Gears of War? Nevermind, Metal Gear Solid 4. Ridiculously overhyped and inferior in most ways to MGS3.

shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 shane_orija
Member since 2008 • 910 Posts
I thought Crysis had won a Goty too. lol
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Gears of war is by far the worst.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#140 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
I thought Crysis had won a Goty too. lolshane_orija
Well,it won shooter of the year against CoD4,Bioshock and Halo 3 at least.;)
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#141 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Wind Waker. I never really thought it was all that great. Boring dungeons (one of them even unfinished), stupid fetch quests, and too little progression from OoT ruined it for me, despite the great graphics and fun sailing concept.

gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#142 gamedude234
Member since 2009 • 2558 Posts

MGS4.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
Gears of WarGunSmith1_basic
Great game but not that great.
iMojo786_PSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 iMojo786_PSN
Member since 2010 • 1641 Posts

Demons Souls, by FAAARRR. That game is terrible!enterawesome
all this hate for demon souls and mgs4 is quite pathetic if you ask me, are fanboys still made ps3 got 2 GOTY's in a row? MGS4 was one epic masterpeice and Demon Souls is a true gem of this generation, lemmings need to understand not all games involve a gun and allow you to jump 50ft in the air, Demon Souls is an amazing game with an amazing online component. BlackPhantoms ftw

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="enterawesome"]Demons Souls, by FAAARRR. That game is terrible!iMojo786_PSN

all this hate for demon souls and mgs4 is quite pathetic if you ask me, are fanboys still made ps3 got 2 GOTY's in a row? MGS4 was one epic masterpeice and Demon Souls is a true gem of this generation, lemmings need to understand not all games involve a gun and allow you to jump 50ft in the air, Demon Souls is an amazing game with an amazing online component. BlackPhantoms ftw

And cows need to learn that bashing MGS4 and Demon's Souls doesn't make someone a lemming.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#147 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19601 Posts
I don't disagree with a lot of those, but I didn't like how WoW (possibly the least fun game on the list, and the most derivative?) won over HL2 (which was quite revolutionary for its time). WoW gets my vote.
iMojo786_PSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 iMojo786_PSN
Member since 2010 • 1641 Posts

[QUOTE="iMojo786_PSN"]

[QUOTE="enterawesome"]Demons Souls, by FAAARRR. That game is terrible!waltefmoney

And cows need to learn that bashing MGS4 and Demon's Souls doesn't make someone a lemming.

bah you again....leave me alone :P

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#149 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

I don't disagree with a lot of those, but I didn't like how WoW (possibly the least fun game on the list, and the most derivative?) won over HL2 (which was quite revolutionary for its time). WoW gets my vote.Planeforger

Half-Life 2? Revolutionary?

It was the original Half-Life minus the boss battles but with state of the art graphics. The epitome of linear shooters, but hardly revolutionary.

Not a fan of WoW by any stretch, but it certainly has had the single biggest impact on the industry in the last decade. And it's a pretty decent game.