In your opinion (!), what's the worst game that GS has ever awarded goty?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 0

#1 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

For those unfamiliar with all of GS's goty winners, here is a full list:

1996: Diablo

1997: Total Annihilation

1998: Grim Fandango AND Zelda: Ocarina of Time

1999: Soulcalibur AND EverQuest

2000: Chrono Cross AND The Sims

2001: Grand Theft Auto III AND Serious Sam: The First Encounter

2002: Metroid Prime

2003: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

2004: World of Warcraft

2005: Resident Evil 4

2006: Gears of War

2007: Super Mario Galaxy

2008: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

2009: Demon's Souls

For me, it would be between WOW and Gears. I have just never been able to get into MMOs, and Gears felt like your typical everyday shooter with admittedly sexy graphics and a cool cover mechanic.

*edit*

Between 1998 and 2001 Gamespot gave goty in two separate categories, PC and console.

Also, if you want, list the game that you feel deserved goty over your worst pick.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Probably demon's soul. I bet gears and WoW are called the most though, when gear basically started the cover mechanic trend and WoW is the front runner of mmos.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
Gears of War
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
Wow easily and Grim Fandango won goty, not OoT. Back tehn it was reserved for PC games
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i never heard of the 1997 winner, so i'm going with that one. also, each one of the winners that i played deserved it. maaaaybe not gears, but i can't remember much stuff released in 2006... the gamecube was kinda dead back then and the wii wasn't out yet :P
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

As much as I loved Gears, it wasnt THAT good.

Mustve been a slow year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#7 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Chrono Cross *runs*
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Espada12

i never heard of the 1997 winner, so i'm going with that one. also, each one of the winners that i played deserved it. maaaaybe not gears, but i can't remember much stuff released in 2006... the gamecube was kinda dead back then and the wii wasn't out yet :PBrunoBRS

1997 winner was one of the best RTS evar!

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Giancar

As much as I loved Gears, it wasnt THAT good.

Mustve been a slow year.

Shirokishi_
TP, FFXII and Okami I gave to Okami
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

I actually think all those games are pretty cool, BUT regardless of loving Nintendo I happen to don't really like the Zelda franchise.

I'd choose Wind Waker because I at least could play through OoT. I just can't get quite started with Wind Waker.

On another note, TC. You should add in Grim Fandango (1998), Everquest (1999), The Sims (2000), Serious Sam: The First Encounter (2001) because as far as I know Gamespot had a PC category alongside the console category for a few years.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i never heard of the 1997 winner, so i'm going with that one. also, each one of the winners that i played deserved it. maaaaybe not gears, but i can't remember much stuff released in 2006... the gamecube was kinda dead back then and the wii wasn't out yet :PEspada12

1997 winner was one of the best RTS evar!

1997 i was 5, and i was never into RTS :P i only played diablo because diablo 2 was really awesome, so i gave the original to a friend as a birthday present... :twisted: :P
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master_ShakeXXX

Probably demon's soul. I bet gears and WoW are called the most though, when gear basically started the cover mechanic trend and WoW is the front runner of mmos.

Espada12

And I will bet against you that MGS4 will be called the most! Just watch, seriously.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

I'd say MGS4, but that's only because I can't stand the series period. WoW as well, no matter how "fun" the game seems at first, MMOs will eventually fall into tedium and monotony.

Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts

Tie between Gears of War and MGS4

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts
[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]Chrono Cross *runs*

In all honesty, game wasn't that great, but the music lured me in like a siren's song and I fell in love.
SmittyPeppers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SmittyPeppers
Member since 2010 • 1569 Posts
Gears. Every other game on that list is stellar. Gears is... great.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
[QUOTE="Giancar"]Wow easily and Grim Fandango won goty, not OoT. Back tehn it was reserved for PC games

I hate WOW, but it is the the king of MMOS,, *not a fan of that either*many try to be it. What else came out that year? I seriously do not remember :P. O wait Halo 2 did. That would be my personal 2004 GOTY. The ending was complete poop though. O and I loved FEAR also.
Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

i never heard of the 1997 winner, so i'm going with that one. also, each one of the winners that i played deserved it. maaaaybe not gears, but i can't remember much stuff released in 2006... the gamecube was kinda dead back then and the wii wasn't out yet :PBrunoBRS

You make me sad. Total Annihilation was an amazing RTS. You've probably heard of the Supreme Commander series, those were the spiritual successors of it.

DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 4. I love the series, but this game disappointed me. Didn't like the story, B&B Corps were copies and didn't play a vital role in the story, Drebin Points broke the game, plot twists were awful, very little gameplay and the cutscenes dragged on (poorly paced and boring).

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GunSmith1_basic
Wow easily and Grim Fandango won goty, not OoT. Back tehn it was reserved for PC gamesGiancar
that's how I remember it but sources say that OoT and Grim Fandango won that year. I think maybe Gamespot changed it. Actually TC is forgetting Everquest, the Sims, and Serious Sam. PC vs. Console used to be separate. It used to be only PC games (or else Goldeneye or FF7 would have probably won in 1997)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
[QUOTE="Giancar"]Wow easily and Grim Fandango won goty, not OoT. Back tehn it was reserved for PC gamesGunSmith1_basic
that's how I remember it but sources say that OoT and Grim Fandango won that year. I think maybe Gamespot changed it. Actually TC is forgetting Everquest, the Sims, and Serious Sam. PC vs. Console used to be separate. It used to be only PC games (or else Goldeneye or FF7 would have probably won in 1997)

I believe this is the case, separate GOTYs back then.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Master_ShakeXXX

And I will bet against youthat MGS4 will be called the most! Just watch, seriously.

MGS4 totally deserved it. *checks SotC release* oh it's 2005... well i guess it's hard to beat resident evil... but SotC should have won the year it competed.
Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts

Gears of War. I just cannot get into the series at all. I think it it terrible.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Demons Souls, by FAAARRR. That game is terrible!
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i never heard of the 1997 winner, so i'm going with that one. also, each one of the winners that i played deserved it. maaaaybe not gears, but i can't remember much stuff released in 2006... the gamecube was kinda dead back then and the wii wasn't out yet :PRagingbear505

You make me sad. Total Annihilation was an amazing RTS. You've probably heard of the Supreme Commander series, those were the spiritual successors of it.

*points at post where i explain myself*

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GunSmith1_basic
[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"][QUOTE="Giancar"]Wow easily and Grim Fandango won goty, not OoT. Back tehn it was reserved for PC gamessiLVURcross

Ocarina of Time changed the game. They awarded game of the year to Grim Fandango and kind of made their site a joke, but it was because gamespot used to be only a PC gaming site. That's why I say they maybe changed their GOTY after the fact to include Ocarina of Time because I distinctly remember that Grim Fandango was the only winner
Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts
Gears of War.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Giancar
[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="Giancar"]Wow easily and Grim Fandango won goty, not OoT. Back tehn it was reserved for PC games

I hate WOW, but it is the the king of MMOS,, *not a fan of that either*many try to be it. What else came out that year? I seriously do not remember :P. O wait Halo 2 did. That would be my personal 2004 GOTY. The ending was complete poop though. O and I loved FEAR also.

Half Life 2 IIRC. It was robbed by the king of a crappy genre there was SA, Halo 2 and Fable (lol)
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 millerlight89
[QUOTE="siLVURcross"][QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"] that's how I remember it but sources say that OoT and Grim Fandango won that year. I think maybe Gamespot changed it. Actually TC is forgetting Everquest, the Sims, and Serious Sam. PC vs. Console used to be separate. It used to be only PC games (or else Goldeneye or FF7 would have probably won in 1997)GunSmith1_basic

Ocarina of Time changed the game. They awarded game of the year to Grim Fandango and kind of made their site a joke, but it was because gamespot used to be only a PC gaming site. That's why I say they maybe changed their GOTY after the fact to include Ocarina of Time because I distinctly remember that Grim Fandango was the only winner

They became a joke because they thought GF was GOTY material?
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Master_ShakeXXX

Wow easily and Grim Fandango won goty, not OoT. Back tehn it was reserved for PC gamesGiancar

Thanks for the heads up. Corrected.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Gears of war. Its an ok game,but i dont see all the hub bub. Only thing about it that bugs me is not the game but some of the people who tend to think it inveted the cover shooter.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GunSmith1_basic
[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"][QUOTE="siLVURcross"] I believe this is the case, separate GOTYs back then.millerlight89

if they would have included console games OoT would have obviously won. Grim Fandango is a great game but OoT was a monster when it first released.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 millerlight89
[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="Giancar"]Wow easily and Grim Fandango won goty, not OoT. Back tehn it was reserved for PC games

Half Life 2 IIRC. It was robbed by the king of a crappy genre there was SA, Halo 2 and Fable (lol)

How did I forget HL2. Yea that was a fantastic game too. I do not agree with WOW, but I can't deny its impact. Even though, like you, I hate that genre.
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
Easily Gears.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Giancar
[QUOTE="siLVURcross"][QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"] that's how I remember it but sources say that OoT and Grim Fandango won that year. I think maybe Gamespot changed it. Actually TC is forgetting Everquest, the Sims, and Serious Sam. PC vs. Console used to be separate. It used to be only PC games (or else Goldeneye or FF7 would have probably won in 1997)GunSmith1_basic

OoT deserves the Goty tile, as much as I loved Grim Fandango though I can't find this info, any link where I can find all this? I want to read their arguments :P
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
None of those are bad games, but for their time. Soul Calibur hands down. It was not that good, it was not a 10 in the freakin Fighting genre good. I'd probably argue that Gears of War and Metal Gear Solid 4 didn't deserve it in their year either, but whatever. They are by no means bad games(not that SC is either), but they certainly weren't the best choice for GOTY. Demon's Souls kicks ass though, and it deserved its award.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Master_ShakeXXX

And I will bet against you that MGS4 will be called the most! Just watch, seriously.

Nah, I still think those two games will get more hate.

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
Probably Gears. It's a great game, but I wouldn't give it GOTY over Oblivion and Company of Heroes.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Chrono Cross *runs*siLVURcross
I agree. Good game but terribly over-rated imo.

brennan7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 brennan7777
Member since 2005 • 3253 Posts

Gears fo sho.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 millerlight89
[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"] Ocarina of Time changed the game. They awarded game of the year to Grim Fandango and kind of made their site a joke, but it was because gamespot used to be only a PC gaming site. That's why I say they maybe changed their GOTY after the fact to include Ocarina of Time because I distinctly remember that Grim Fandango was the only winnerGunSmith1_basic

if they would have included console games OoT would have obviously won. Grim Fandango is a great game but OoT was a monster when it first released.

Idk, I never understood the love with OoT. I always felt Majora's Mask was simply a better game. I mean OoT is fantastic, but not as good as some make it.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Gears of war. Its an ok game,but i dont see all the hub bub. Only thing about it that bugs me is not the game but some of the people who tend to think it inveted the cover shooter.

finalfantasy94
Everyone knows killswitch did it first, but it was Gears of War that set the framework on how to do it right. How to build a game around that cover scheme(something Killswitch struggled with), and how to make the overall controls as intuitive as possible. I mean yeah Uncharted 2 and Gears of War 2 tightened it up even more, but they all basically worked from the framework Gears of War set more than the one Killswitch set. Just like I'm sure something did that over the shoulder thing before RE4, but RE 4 set the template for how to build a game around it.
SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SilverChimera
[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="millerlight89"] I hate WOW, but it is the the king of MMOS,, *not a fan of that either*many try to be it. What else came out that year? I seriously do not remember :P. O wait Halo 2 did. That would be my personal 2004 GOTY. The ending was complete poop though. O and I loved FEAR also.

How did I forget HL2. Yea that was a fantastic game too. I do not agree with WOW, but I can't deny its impact. Even though, like you, I hate that genre.

Yea, I don't like MMOs, but WoW has done a lot for the genre and the industry. I can understand why Gametrailers gave it Game of the Decade.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"][QUOTE="millerlight89"]They became a joke because they thought GF was GOTY material?millerlight89

Idk, I never understood the love with OoT. I always felt Majora's Mask was simply a better game. I mean OoT is fantastic, but not as good as some make it.

I agree, Majora's Mask is def way better than Ocarina of Time. Though I must give credit to Ocarina of Time for making the perfect transition into 3D.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

Nah, I still think those two games will get more hate.

right now you're winning. not many WoW mentions, but everyone who isn't discussing who won in 1998 is saying gears is the worst/less great.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Personally, WoW, LoZ: OoT & MM are the only three games I've given 10's. Super Mario Galaxy would probably be the one I wouldn't have awarded GotY.

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SilverChimera
[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]Chrono Cross *runs*

Oh **** how did I forget that. Yes, Chrono Cross was given GOTY over FF IX? Shame :(
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Giancar"]Wow easily and Grim Fandango won goty, not OoT. Back tehn it was reserved for PC gamesGunSmith1_basic

I copy pasted from wikipedia and deleted the parentheses stuff so there wouldn't be links. I'm guessing those were some of the things I deleted. Damit...

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

without a doubt it's demon's souls.