If the GDDR5 set up in the ps4 is so good then why...

• 178 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"]Bullsh!t. Look at the hd 7850 vs the 7870. Like a 50% flop advantage, yet only a 10%ish difference real world. Even smaller in more demanding games. Even with 50% more terflops the 7870 only gets like 5 more frames in games like metro or crysis. A 30% advantage in terflops isn't going to be game changing at all.Truth_Hurts_U

Maybe you don't get that PC is not a console.

Software level vs HW level.

Stop trying you sound dumb.

I sound dumb yet you're the one making the claim that 30% more gpu terflops in going to be a HUGE advantage. pfft please.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#152 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I sound dumb yet you're the one making the claim that 30% more gpu terflops in going to be a HUGE advantage. pfft please.FPSfan1985

It will be... It's just that simple.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] I sound dumb yet you're the one making the claim that 30% more gpu terflops in going to be a HUGE advantage. pfft please.Truth_Hurts_U

No it won't. I even explained why it won't. Please explain to me why you think it will.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

[QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] That 30% is a difference in teraflops. Real world differences will be negligible. FPSfan1985
and 30 % is not alot ?

No. Even if it was an across the board 30% which it isn't. 30% only in the gou means like 4 or 5 mores frames to work with. You're not going to get much out of that.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=536

Your math is way off it should be bigger than this ^^.

The xbox one is close to a 7770 in flops period which is GCN as well,the PS4 is over a 7850 again which is GCN.

We are talking about 1.23 vs .184 some 600 Gflops of difference that is more than 2 xbox 360 in power.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Truth_Hurts_U

No it won't. I even explained why it won't. Please explain to me why you think it will.FPSfan1985

I already did... It's not that hard to grasp.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 tormentos

[QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] I sound dumb yet you're the one making the claim that 30% more gpu terflops in going to be a HUGE advantage. pfft please.FPSfan1985

No it won't. I even explained why it won't. Please explain to me why you think it will.

That is what you belive on reality is something way different.

The xbox one has 1.23 TF,from those 10% is locked away from developer and are use as system resources,which mean more like 1.1 TF for games if not less.

The xbox one doesn't have a second CPU for background task,2 core are also locked away for OS as well as 3GB of memory.

The xbox one has slower memory no matter what,you cant ad bandwidth like flops period.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"] Precisely this. The Personal Computer is more of a workstation than a gaming machine. It is not until you invest a large amount of money until you transform a PC into a gaming rig. Most PC gamers are not using gaming rigs. I'd say only about 3% at most have a computer that is capable of matching the PS4 in graphics processing capability.FPSfan1985

Lol my PC I built in 2011 is more powerful than the PS4 and it's a single GPU build.

Yea same. But PS4 does have the advantage of optimized apis.

Which is a 5-10% improvement in efficiency at best for the overhead on GPUs

That can be compared to a small overclock on a video card.

Overhead on CPU is a different story though.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

The ps4 CPU is getting 20GB/s with high CAS latency. get over it.

for example my CPU is getting 48GB/s with low CAS latency, and my 2 GPU's of total of 600GB/s. LOL the 156GB/s ps4 GPU have.

MK-Professor

You do know that each of those GPUs have to share the same memory pool right?

we are talking about memory bandwidth not the amount of memory.

The reads are double the speed in sli/crossfire but the writes are the same as a single card.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

tormentos

That is what you belive on reality is something way different.

The xbox one has 1.23 TF,from those 10% is locked away from developer and are use as system resources,which mean more like 1.1 TF for games if not less.

The xbox one doesn't have a second CPU for background task,2 core are also locked away for OS as well as 3GB of memory.

The xbox one has slower memory no matter what,you cant ad bandwidth like flops period.

Xbox has sdram which bridges the bandwidth gap between ddr3 and gddr5 with better latency as well. But it;s not like memory isn't going to make an real difference anyway. And a 33% difference in teraflops mean almost nothing. Like comparing any two same family gpu models.
MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#160 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

You do know that each of those GPUs have to share the same memory pool right?

RyviusARC

we are talking about memory bandwidth not the amount of memory.

The reads are double the speed in sli/crossfire but the writes are the same as a single card.

Whether or not you consider the bandwidth doubled depends on how you look at it.
- For each frame, the bandwidth remains the same.
- For every two frames, the bandwidth is doubled. (AFR send two frames at the same period of time as a single GPU dose for one frame, assuming SLI/CF scale perfectly)

ZoomZoom2490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 ZoomZoom2490
Member since 2008 • 3943 Posts

[QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

[QUOTE="legalize82"] and 30 % is not alot ?FPSfan1985

30% is alot and anyone that says other wise don't get that both GPU's are the same. One has less processing then the other. This isn't 360 vs PS3. These are all AMD parts.

There is no special cpu the other doesn't have... It also not AMD vs Nvidia like last gen.

You'll see the differance. Maybe not at first but 3 years from now your going to see 30% gap.

Bullsh!t. Look at the hd 7850 vs the 7870. Like a 50% flop advantage, yet only a 10%ish difference real world. Even smaller in more demanding games. Even with 50% more terflops the 7870 only gets like 5 more frames in games like metro or crysis. A 30% advantage in terflops isn't going to be game changing at all.

forget about teraflops then, ps4 gpu has 40% more shader cores, don't tell me that don't matter, lol.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

30% is alot and anyone that says other wise don't get that both GPU's are the same. One has less processing then the other. This isn't 360 vs PS3. These are all AMD parts.

There is no special cpu the other doesn't have... It also not AMD vs Nvidia like last gen.

You'll see the differance. Maybe not at first but 3 years from now your going to see 30% gap.

ZoomZoom2490

Bullsh!t. Look at the hd 7850 vs the 7870. Like a 50% flop advantage, yet only a 10%ish difference real world. Even smaller in more demanding games. Even with 50% more terflops the 7870 only gets like 5 more frames in games like metro or crysis. A 30% advantage in terflops isn't going to be game changing at all.

forget about teraflops then, ps4 gpu has 40% more shader cores, don't tell me that don't matter, lol.

teraflops came from shader cores

1152sp * 2 * 800MHz =  1843200 (1.84 TFlops)

768sp * 2 * 800MHz =  1228800 (1.22 TFlops)

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

lol

Forget about that number! Instead focus on the numbers which are used to calculate those numbers!

Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Aidenfury19
Member since 2007 • 2488 Posts

Unified memory isn't easy to do at all and the PS4's memory setup would seem to go well beyond what the Xbox 360 did there.

AMD is working on bringing something similar to PC this fall with Kaveri, but don't underestimate the amount of R&D and testing that has to go into changing how memory is allocated and shared by programs: we're talking hundreds of millions to billions of dollars here.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Truth_Hurts_U

Unified memory isn't easy to do at all and the PS4's memory setup would seem to go well beyond what the Xbox 360 did there.

AMD is working on bringing something similar to PC this fall with Kaveri, but don't underestimate the amount of R&D and testing that has to go into changing how memory is allocated and shared by programs: we're talking hundreds of millions to billions of dollars here.

Aidenfury19

Nvidia is going to be doing the same thing with Maxwell.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

ZoomZoom2490
You're comparing the numbers from a 7870 GHz edition to a standard 7850, and then using the benchmark results from the standard cards. The 7870 is not 50% faster than the 7850. Here is a comparison at the same speed.. 7870: 1280 * 2 * 900 = 2.3 TFLOPS 7850: 1024 * 2 * 900 = 1.84 TFLOPS Comparing the 7770 GHz Edition and a standard 7850 is a much better representation of the performance difference of the GPU's in the XBox One and PS4... 7770 GHz: 640 * 2 * 1000 = 1.28 TFLOPS 7850: 1024 * 2 * 920 = 1.88 TFLOPS
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="Aidenfury19"]

Truth_Hurts_U

Not sure what you guys are talking but DDR4 is coming out next year on Haswell X99 chipset.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Truth_Hurts_U

Not sure what you guys are talking but DDR4 is coming out next year on Haswell X99 chipset.

Bebi_vegeta

http://forwardthinking.pcmag.com/none/309620-nvidia-pushes-memory-improvements-unified-architecture-for-gpus-mobile-processors

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#169 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

It causes latency/bandwidth issues from what I heard and it may hurt the cpu a little since cpu don't usually use that type of ram.Sony may have designed the PS4 to prevent this issue, but it still may be present.

Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Aidenfury19

[QUOTE="Aidenfury19"]

Truth_Hurts_U

This shouldn't be surprising, the performance gains are very considerable and they'd be foolish to not at least try to do the same.

It's not quite the same thing though, AMD is integrating the CPU and GPU as closely as possible while Nvidia is giving their GPUs an ARM CPU as a kind of co-processor. Nvidia really can't do what AMD (and inevitably Intel) will do there because they don't have a seat at the table when it comes to desktop CPUs and they aren't exactly setting the world on fire in tablets/smartphones either.

Bebi_vegeta

How is DDR4 is even relevant to anything in this thread?

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Truth_Hurts_U

This shouldn't be surprising, the performance gains are very considerable and they'd be foolish to not at least try to do the same.

It's not quite the same thing though, AMD is integrating the CPU and GPU as closely as possible while Nvidia is giving their GPUs an ARM CPU as a kind of co-processor. Nvidia really can't do what AMD (and inevitably Intel) will do there because they don't have a seat at the table when it comes to desktop CPUs and they aren't exactly setting the world on fire in tablets/smartphones either.

Aidenfury19

I'm sure they would be well off. If they don't see a good future ahead. They might as well bail out now rather then later. It's going to be interesting to see how Maxwell preforms or if there is any compatibility issues with older games.

Volta is gonna be nuts with 1TB a sec memory.

It's going to be awhile before CPU/GPU combos start to take a chunk of the dedicated GPU market.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Truth_Hurts_U

http://forwardthinking.pcmag.com/none/309620-nvidia-pushes-memory-improvements-unified-architecture-for-gpus-mobile-processors

I'm not sure how they can do unified memory... that article doesn't give much info.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Aidenfury19

DDR4 is the next thing hiting PC, and it's going to be traditionnal memory like we have today...?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#174 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="Aidenfury19"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

DDR4 is the next thing hiting PC, and it's going to be traditionnal memory like we have today...?

I think GDDR6 for GPUs is also coming next year

Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Aidenfury19

[QUOTE="Aidenfury19"]

Truth_Hurts_U

I'm sure they would be well off. If they don't see a good future ahead. They might as well bail out now rather then later. It's going to be interesting to see how Maxwell preforms or if there is any compatibility issues with older games.

Volta is gonna be nuts with 1TB a sec memory.

It's going to be awhile before CPU/GPU combos start to take a chunk of the dedicated GPU market.

My understanding is that Nvidia is losing money in mobile right now, but they don't have a choice in the matter if they don't want to be limited to providing a small number of high-end desktop/laptop GPUs and workstation/HPC graphics parts because AMD and Intel are both slowly but surely eroding the market for low-end discrete GPUs which is where a lot of Nvidia's shipment volume comes from.

I am looking forward to seeing what happens in mobile the performance improvements there have been pretty enormous and I see AMD making a push there as well in the future with their ARM license. Qualcomm/Samsung/ST-Ericcson aren't going to stand still either.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 tormentos

Xbox has sdram which bridges the bandwidth gap between ddr3 and gddr5 with better latency as well. But it;s not like memory isn't going to make an real difference anyway. And a 33% difference in teraflops mean almost nothing. Like comparing any two same family gpu models. FPSfan1985

No ony the 32MB of ESRAM have a 102gb/s bandwidth the complete 8GB of DDR3 only had 68gb/s and is share with the CPU as well.

There is no 102+68+20  like MS try to do it doesn't work that way.

The difference is as big as 50% and sites who know about hardware and PC had also state this,the difference is bigger on the PS4 vs xbox one than the 7770 vs the 7850,this is undenialble and is a fact.

Trying to imply that the difference is nothing,is like trying to claim that there is no difference from the 7950 to the 7970 or the 7870 to the 7850,there is difference and it will be show,and is bigger than 7770 vs 7850.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php read this and ure questions will be answerd... sony modified the ps4 developers can cash the latency problems with gddr5 dont listen to those wanabee labrat techies they dont know shit only tormentos doeslegalize82

Link is actually a GREAT read!  Didn't know how much Sony customized their hardware for the PS4

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

[QUOTE="legalize82"]http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php read this and ure questions will be answerd... sony modified the ps4 developers can cash the latency problems with gddr5 dont listen to those wanabee labrat techies they dont know shit only tormentos doeslittlestreakier

Link is actually a GREAT read!  Didn't know how much Sony customized their hardware for the PS4

Yeah, me niether. I thought that they just threw an AMD chip in the console and called it a day. The difference between the XBox One and PS4 is going to be even larger than I thought...