I think it's safe to say the PC master race dominated CES

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

When they say CES is usually a disappointment for gamers, they apparently are not talking about PC gamers. :D

1. Valve's forthcomingSteam Box ecosystem

kgfAV.jpg

2. The new Razer Edge Windows 8 tablet (along with a ton of other groovy Razer PC gaming hardware)

b6PVT.jpg

3. Nvidia's Project Shield android handheld (it streams Steam games from your PC)

LAxnK.jpg

4. And lastly, TONS OF GLORIOUS COMPUTER HARDWARE

K6aE2.jpg

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I think it's safe to say that's because none of the console manufacturers had any booths or showings at CES.

EDIT: Yes, I am aware that Sony did in fact have a CES briefing; however, that was Sony, not Playstation. The two are not one and the same.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

2 out of 3 of those are a joke. Seriously, an over priced xbox controller with a screen? A tablet with two move controllers?

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

All I see is junks and an overpriced PC that'll be obsolete in a couple of months.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts
Why are Nerdmits so enamoured with LED's in there cases? It's absolutely hideous
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

kgfAV.jpg

This picture seems pretty sad to me.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts
Project Shield is Android and shares more in common with a smartphone internally, and only streams PC games IF you have a Geforce and only on the same network. Razer's tablet looks like another attempt at the hardware market thats going to end up overpriced and pretty crappily powered for the price. Not to mention the fact steam box's controlled ecosystem strangely goes against some hermits beliefs as its a much more controlled environment and isnt piston supposed to be a pretty pricey little box.Sony,MS and Ninty dont even have a presence at CES anymore and shifted to major announcements of hardware at the likes of E3 almost a decade ago. So honestly i do not even know where you seem to be finding this "ownage".
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

4wLVF.jpg.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

I think it is to early to judge this until someone posts a pic of microsofts Kinect stand.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Why are Nerdmits so enamoured with LED's in there cases? It's absolutely hideousGioVela2010
I've never liked that look myself. My case is very plain but I think it looks much nicer than one with flashy LED's everywhere.

P1010785.jpg

Less is more as they say.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Project Shield is Android and shares more in common with a smartphone internally, and only streams PC games IF you have a Geforce and only on the same network.razgriz_101

lol is that how it works, this thing just sounds dumb to me. If I have to have the computer for the heavy lifting, why would I want this thing.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HalcyonScarlet

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]Why are Nerdmits so enamoured with LED's in there cases? It's absolutely hideousbulby_g

I've never liked that look myself. My case is very plain but I think it looks much nicer than one with flashy LED's everywhere.

P1010785.jpg

Less is more as they say.

Nice monitors, what audio interface are you using?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Project Shield is Android and shares more in common with a smartphone internally, and only streams PC games IF you have a Geforce and only on the same network. Razer's tablet looks like another attempt at the hardware market thats going to end up overpriced and pretty crappily powered for the price. Not to mention the fact steam box's controlled ecosystem strangely goes against some hermits beliefs as its a much more controlled environment and isnt piston supposed to be a pretty pricey little box.Sony,MS and Ninty dont even have a presence at CES anymore and shifted to major announcements of hardware at the likes of E3 almost a decade ago. So honestly i do not even know where you seem to be finding this "ownage".razgriz_101
If you actually read up on what the "Steambox" actually is, you'll find its not a closed system at all.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]Project Shield is Android and shares more in common with a smartphone internally, and only streams PC games IF you have a Geforce and only on the same network. Razer's tablet looks like another attempt at the hardware market thats going to end up overpriced and pretty crappily powered for the price. Not to mention the fact steam box's controlled ecosystem strangely goes against some hermits beliefs as its a much more controlled environment and isnt piston supposed to be a pretty pricey little box.Sony,MS and Ninty dont even have a presence at CES anymore and shifted to major announcements of hardware at the likes of E3 almost a decade ago. So honestly i do not even know where you seem to be finding this "ownage".clyde46

If you actually read up on what the "Steambox" actually is, you'll find its not a closed system at all.

closed system or not, is going to be crap either way.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]Project Shield is Android and shares more in common with a smartphone internally, and only streams PC games IF you have a Geforce and only on the same network. Razer's tablet looks like another attempt at the hardware market thats going to end up overpriced and pretty crappily powered for the price. Not to mention the fact steam box's controlled ecosystem strangely goes against some hermits beliefs as its a much more controlled environment and isnt piston supposed to be a pretty pricey little box.Sony,MS and Ninty dont even have a presence at CES anymore and shifted to major announcements of hardware at the likes of E3 almost a decade ago. So honestly i do not even know where you seem to be finding this "ownage".MK-Professor

Its not aimed at you dumb, dumb.
bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bulby_g

Nice monitors, what audio interface are you using?HalcyonScarlet

Cheers. :) They have a fantastic sound, much prefer them to my old KRK's. I'm still running them through my old Focusrite Saffire 6 ATM. Fairly simple but I have no latency issues and the mic pre-amp is great so it does the trick for me. Mainly use software Synths as well so no great need for racks of inputs!

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HalcyonScarlet

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]Nice monitors, what audio interface are you using?bulby_g

Cheers. :) They have a fantastic sound, much prefer them to my old KRK's. I'm still running them through my old Focusrite Saffire 6 ATM. Fairly simple but I have no latency issues and the mic pre-amp is great so it does the trick for me. Mainly use software Synths as well so no great need for racks of inputs!

I heard the KRKs are good though, they have decent low end. I only have a pair of Alesis M1Active 520s, they aren't great with the low end. They do the job, but I need an upgrade. I'm also using a Focusrite Saffire firewire interface. It's a small white vertical box, I think it may be an older verson of yours but I like it. Also have a VRM box for headphone mixing. Yeah I use a lot of software sounds, I have tons of Native Instrument stuff.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Why are Nerdmits so enamoured with LED's in there cases? It's absolutely hideousGioVela2010

What's wrong with LEDs?

cryemocry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cryemocry
Member since 2013 • 590 Posts

All I see is junks and an overpriced PC that'll be obsolete in a couple of months.

Mr_BillGates
software evolution is moving really slow.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Razer Edge and Project Shield sounds terrible. Edge is overpriced with an hour of battery life, and I'd imagine Project Shield will be overpriced and it looks way too clunky. Other than that CES was quite interesting. It's a pity the lamer products are getting so much attention.

cryemocry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cryemocry
Member since 2013 • 590 Posts
Ces isnt over yet doesnt end till the 11th
MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] If you actually read up on what the "Steambox" actually is, you'll find its not a closed system at all.

clyde46

and that doesn't change the fact that is going to be crap.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] If you actually read up on what the "Steambox" actually is, you'll find its not a closed system at all.

clyde46

if it aint high resolution, massive FOV and KB/M only it aint worth jack you should know this brah :P

But at the same time its for the asking price im gonna pass on this until they either release a budget version thats competative with console prices next gen if its £300 i would take the plunge and i have nary the time to build a PC either working 5 days a week backshift, and my 2 days off are spent at band practice,gigging, or in a pub...or in some cases all 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Consoles arent at CES only the manufacturers so its obvious PC would win

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Mr_BillGates
Funny I thought the same thing about the Xbox and PS3, and I was right, 1 or 2 good exclusives a year, alot of gimmicks, alot of overcharging, sounds about right for anything that is not a PC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Tastes differ you know. I love my blue LEDs in my Corsair case. Goes really nice with the white exterior, would be too plain and boring otherwise.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clyde46

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]Why are Nerdmits so enamoured with LED's in there cases? It's absolutely hideousseanmcloughlin

Tastes differ you know. I love my blue LEDs in my Corsair case. Goes really nice with the white exterior, would be too plain and boring otherwise.

Are you still using the stock LED fans?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]Why are Nerdmits so enamoured with LED's in there cases? It's absolutely hideousclyde46

I am, The fan controller is all messed up though. Contacted corsair about a replacement and they said they would send for free, and nothing

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

I am, The fan controller is all messed up though. Contacted corsair about a replacement and they said they would send for free, and nothing

Whats the air flow and noise like? My front fan makes a god awful racket at 12v.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Apart from the operating system, I don't know what the ridiculous looking Razer Edge has to do with PC gaming.
bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bulby_g

[QUOTE="bulby_g"]

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]Nice monitors, what audio interface are you using?HalcyonScarlet

I heard the KRKs are good though, they have decent low end. I only have a pair of Alesis M1Active 520s, they aren't great with the low end. They do the job, but I need an upgrade. I'm also using a Focusrite Saffire firewire interface. It's a small white vertical box, I think it may be an older verson of yours but I like it. Also have a VRM box for headphone mixing. Yeah I use a lot of software sounds, I have tons of Native Instrument stuff.

Yeah the KRK's are reasonable for their price range. The Adams are much cleaner though, I love them. Yeah my friend has some Alesis but the low end is a bit exaggerated on them. His tended to overheat a bit too, could cook bacon on the back of them boys when he had been thrashing them. Ah yeah, NI make some great stuff. I mainly use Albino 3, Massive, Sylenth 1, Phoscyon and V-Station to make sounds.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Are you still using the stock LED fans?clyde46

Whats the air flow and noise like? My front fan makes a god awful racket at 12v.

Air flow is alright, not the best ever but it's good enough to put a big chunk of air in and let the respective CPU/GPU fans do the rest.It can be a bit loud, but not unbearable at full speed. Everything stays frosty cool anyway so no complaints

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
I'm hyped for this  Control it with phone or tablet..
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clyde46

seanmcloughlin

Air flow is alright, not the best ever but it's good enough to put a big chunk of air in and let the respective CPU/GPU fans do the rest.It can be a bit loud, but not unbearable at full speed. Everything stays frosty cool anyway so no complaints

I'll do a sound recording later tonight.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#36 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]Why are Nerdmits so enamoured with LED's in there cases? It's absolutely hideousRocker6

What's wrong with LEDs?

Nothing, unless you'reGioVela.XD

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

Thanks for that Earth-shattering opinion.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mitu123

seanmcloughlin

Speaking of that I just ordered a new fan controller!

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

Yeah, but, who in their right mind would pay $1000 for a tablet with a poor quality GPU that's meant to essentially play PC games at mediocre settings and isn't exactly all that portable?

The Nvidia handheld at least looks pretty cool.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I am the truest, and most pure PC gamer on System Wars, and I give items like the Steambox, Shield, and Razer Edge a big MEH

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I am the truest, and most pure PC gamer on System Wars, and I give items like the Steambox, Shield, and Razer Edge a big MEH

Ly_the_Fairy
Same here. They all reek of gimmickry and impending failure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Are you still using the stock LED fans?mitu123

Speaking of that I just ordered a new fan controller!

I got nothing after they said they would send. either they never sent it or it got lost

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

You forgot the awesome looking Xi3

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GioVela2010

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]Why are Nerdmits so enamoured with LED's in there cases? It's absolutely hideousmitu123

What's wrong with LEDs?

They're cheesy and gaudy, you literally have no taste if you like a bright led covered computer case
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

What's wrong with LEDs?

GioVela2010

They're cheesy and gaudy, you literally have no taste if you like a bright led covered computer case

Nope, try again.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

What's wrong with LEDs?

GioVela2010

That's subjective, who are you to make rules about the taste? :?

If you don't like it, fine. But don't go around passing your opinions as facts. I find console boxes to be ugly and generic, but I see no need to whine about it all day...

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"][QUOTE="mitu123"]Nothing, unless you'reGioVela.XD

Rocker6

If you don't like it, fine. But don't go around passing your opinions as facts. I find console boxes to be ugly and generic, but I see no need to whine about it all day...

You should see his car, it can't even go over speedbumps.
GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GioVela2010
[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"] They're cheesy and gaudy, you literally have no taste if you like a bright led covered computer casekraken2109

Past Car of the Month winner on the biggest BMW website
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Ly_the_Fairy
Same.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clyde46
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Rocker6"]

GioVela2010

Past Car of the Month winner on the biggest BMW website

That's like being picked as the winner for the monthly soggy biscuit competition.