I hate the fact that the new GOW shares more with dark souls than Bayonetta/Neir

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I'm in between. I don't like the gameplay of the souls game but I don't like bayonetta or nier either. To me god of war was better than those three series by far. Still my favorite one is dragon's dogma, I can't remember an action game being as fun as that game.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@PSP107: Because literally nothing about it says garbage. It might not appeal to him, but the quality is undeniable.

He couldn't say it would flop, because that would have been an even worse comment based on the reception the game had received so far.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I get why the fans are salty, but I always felt the gameplay in GoW sucked when compared to similar games. I'm glad they're trying something new. It might end up sucking as well, but at least they're not spinning their wheels with that stagnant unsatisfying play from the previous titles.

This is a franchise built on spectacle and production values anyways and it doesn't look like you'll be losing that. It seems like they're embracing the things they're good at while losing the pretense of having a good combat system.

And of course this demo was more focussed on showing us some excellent presentation above all else. You can bet your ass the gameplay won't be that rudimentary from beginning to end. It'll probably just meet the older games halfway, and hopefully be better off for it.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@StrongBlackVine:

1st of all, are you two even fans of the series?

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Criticism mentioned about the original GoW trilogy.

1. Kratos is a heartless pychopath

2. The story lacks soul

3. The fixed camera angles.

SSM fixes these things and people still bitch.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 PSP107

@AM-Gamer:

1. We knew that from the 1st game.

2. So does every video game story.

3. No comment yet.

"SSM fixes these things and people still bitch."

Why are you bitching by people's bitching?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@StrongBlackVine:

1st of all, are you two even fans of the series?

I enjoyed 1-3, didn't play any of the others tho. Kratos being old, fat, and a parent looks lame. Straying so far away from the original formula will be a big gamble for the series.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Maybe put the crystal balls away for a bit, eh?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

But the Souls games are good.

It would only mean an improvement for the GoW games.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ConanTheStoner  Online
@foxhound_fox said:

But the Souls games are good.

It would only mean an improvement for the GoW games.

OP is a strictly flash over substance kind of guy, you should hear his opinions on fighting games lol.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 PSP107

@Bigboi500: "Kratos being old, fat, and a parent looks lame. Straying so far away from the original formula will be a big gamble for the series."

And I agree so I don't get why people ripping others who are not impressed with what been presented so far.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@PSP107: Somewhat. I have played all the games including the portable ones except GOWIII and I plan to get the remastered version of that. Not a huge fan, but they are entertaining enough. This new direction is much more my style of game though.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@PSP107:

1. Yet people still complained

2. That's absolutely not true

3. Well there trying something new

I'm not bitching , this is system Wars.

Why are you bitching ?

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Whether they stuck with the old formula or not would not have made a lick of difference to me I enjoyed the GOW games. The people who demanded change should not be complaining as they have changed and if you don't like it well don't demand change if you don't like the results. "Damned if you do, damned if you don't'

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#65 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

At least the OP isn't calling it a TLOU knock-off like some folks were. Because apparently anything with... woods? a child in it? is a TLOU knock-off now

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#66 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@xantufrog said:

At least the OP isn't calling it a TLOU knock-off like some folks were. Because apparently anything with... woods? a child in it? is a TLOU knock-off now

Admit it. Its TLOU with vikings.

On topic I can see why they changed direction. On a gameplay scale, it was trumped by Nier and Bayonetta. It would look like a half hearted attempt at what Platinum does best. But by taking it in this direction, they can expand on things that GoW doesn't do which is character development. At the very least, they can say they did something new.

I will say this though. If combos are gone then its going to be a bad game for me. The best parts of action games is figuring out how the system works and then learning the best way to take advantage of the system for the situation you find yourself in. If it doesn't have any of that then it'll be a pass for a lot of action fans.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#67 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@StrongBlackVine said:

@PSP107: but the quality is undeniable.

In terms of production value? Sure

In terms of anything that has to do with game mechanics or its story? None of that is devoid of criticism. The argument of "we've barely seen any of it" works both ways, because the praise would be unjustified as well. And no metascore would change the part where God of War's story from God of War 2 and 3 has been fucking stupid, even the devs acknowledged how one dimensional of a character they had in Kratos. Mechanically? Anyone worth their salt in this genre has routinely called out or criticized that God of War's combat mechanics are shallow, the easiest systems the genre has to offer, and pure game feel wise are feathery in comparison to a lot of God of War's contemporaries.

It's commercial status has as much to do with its status as the Call of Duty the genre, much less some undeniable quality. But those are things you find out when you actually play video games, and aren't ignorant of them.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

This game is going to be crap.

Yep. New mythology should have brought new protagonist. Its just stupid imo. Son of Zeus in Scandinavia with the Norse now.

Combat shown smelled. It was roll in chop troll, roll back to avoid aoe attack, roll in and repeat with a plain Jane axe. I did that in Fable to Trolls a decade ago

Now we have TLOU type relationship thrust in. Going to milk this deep, emotional third person stuff for a while I see. I was rooting for the troll to eat the kid.

I am all for changes but there are glaring dumb crap here. It sucked

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#69 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Vaasman said:

Looks more like Ryse if anything.

So it will be a mediocre game. Loved GoW

@lamprey263 said:

I don't know what everyone else was watching, but that God of War 4 gameplay was more reminiscent of The Order 1886 gameplay footage in its tight over the shoulder camera, the huge walking section gameplay, the autopilot story and cinematic moments.

Good call. It just was weak and to read it is still Kratos is stupid

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:
@2mrw said:
@Sushiglutton said:

People were whining that Kratos was so 1-dimensional, that he was just angry all the time etc. SSM listened to the criticism and decided to move the camera closer and give Kratos a more varied personality. It's was an idiotic criticism, because the point of Kratos was that he personified the rage felt when playing stressful Hn'S games. He was never supposed to be a character but a metaphor (this is how many old myths works btw). However SSM listened to the whining and decided it was more important to create a more emotional character than to improve the gameplay. And here we are.

In short I blame the hipsters.

I honestly feel pitty for those whining because they didn't CARE for Kratos, it is a game, dude. It is supposed to be fun, in GOW case, fun comes from tearing limbs and crushing the other gods (do not take this the wrong way, lol). I do not hate the new Kratos, but they are now talking about the new sensitive Kratos and **** anything else. I am very skeptical about this game more than the old GOW games despite the massive hype train.

Agree completely. People saying stuff like "I didn't feel any sympathy for Kratos", or worse "I didn't connect to Kratos" makes me as angry as Kratos lol. He's a scumbag and that's fine. Apparently in the stroywriting manual everyone seems to have read you are not supposed to make protagonists like this.

That being said we have seen so little yet and I think Barlog claimed they wanted to show something different (aka a slower moment) so it's too early to judge the game. I'm also a bit sceptical though.

Let's not pretend that Kratos was really anything at all by the middle of the second game. He wasn't a scumbag, or an avatar of anger, or anything. He was maybe a teenager with daddy issues.

You can have scumbags as good characters. Grand Theft Auto is the most commercial example. Kratos was not that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

@ConanTheStoner: Yo Cobro, remember we tried a God of War that wanted to make the combat not shit. We got Ascension.

I feel like I'm the only one who wasn't necessarily seeing what was wrong with God of War not going for the deepest combo system. It was easy to understand, visceral, and felt good. It was learning your shapes in kindergarten compared to a college course like high level Bayonetta play, but it did what it wanted to well.

All this to say, I'm also glad they're throwing out the old combat. Hell I don't know why they feel they needed to stick with the old Kratos. If you're gonna reboot, go all in. Probably could have built an even more compelling character without the baggage of being garbage for most of his other games.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ConanTheStoner  Online
@darkspineslayer said:

Yo Cobro, remember we tried a God of War that wanted to make the combat not shit. We got Ascension.

Admittedly, I've never played Ascension. Was the combat good?

@darkspineslayer said:

I feel like I'm the only one who wasn't necessarily seeing what was wrong with God of War not going for the deepest combo system. It was easy to understand, visceral, and felt good. It was learning your shapes in kindergarten compared to a college course like high level Bayonetta play, but it did what it wanted to well.

It's not the simplicity of GoW that puts me off though. I'm a dude who likes Nintendo staples like Mario and Zelda. I'm currently enjoying a replay of Shovel Knight. Doom 4 fucking rocks and it's as simple as it gets. I'd even argue that Bloodborne, as much as I love the combat in that game, is still more simple than what GoW brings the table.

My issue is with the game feel in general. On the most surface level, hacking through hordes of enemies feels like slashing at a pillow with a butter knife. But the problems go beyond immediate feedback. NG, DMC, Bayo, all of these games have a distinct rhythm to call their own. A cadence to their battle systems that flows so well, yet punishes you dearly for falling out of line. The element of risk and reward is constantly at play and everything in your tool box has a time and place in battle. Ultimately it leads to a very rewarding experience as you continually work towards mastering the games rules and subtleties. I just don't get that feeling with the GoW games. The timing and choice of my inputs doesn't feel important. It usually feels like autopilot mode. I know that 9 times out of 10 I can just mash buttons to get by and as a result it never feels satisfying. You unlock all these flashy combos but when it comes down to it you don't even need to learn half of them. It's not just about Kratos either, the enemies feed directly into these issues. They're sluggish punching bags that might tickle you for making a mistake. It's not that I want it to be a brutally difficult game. I just want a sense of rhythm that keeps you on your toes. The typical response is "well, just increase the difficulty!" and trust me, I do, but it doesn't overwrite how the core game works.

God of War feels like something that was intentionally designed for people who just want to wind down after a long days work. You can put in minimal effort and get an epic showing in return. Nothing wrong with that I suppose. But when it comes to this genre I want something more involving. Something with addictive systems to master that will bring me back for plenty of replays over the years.

I saw someone say it before, that God of War is to its genre as old school Mortal Kombat was to the fighter genre. And I think it's a great comparison. It's brutal, it's over the top, it looks amazing, and it's super easy to get into. So obviously people love it. But I'd still much rather have my Super Street Fighter 2 (NGB/Bayo/DMC,etc)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ConanTheStoner  Online
@jg4xchamp said:

game feel wise are feathery

Ah, that's the word I was looking for.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

@ConanTheStoner: That is a good analogy.

I suppose I just have a different take on the game feel. When you're powered up by early-mid game, it just flows pretty much regardless of what you press. Sure, not a ton of skill and more flash than substance, but it was what it was.

Ascension kind of ruined what little flow the combat had by basically locking the back end of most combos behind a combo multiplier minimum. Combine with cheap enemy design that makes it unreasonably hard to keep the combos going, it was like playing most of the game with the level 1 blades. Everything just got choppy and annoying.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

People were whining that Kratos was so 1-dimensional, that he was just angry all the time etc. SSM listened to the criticism and decided to move the camera closer and give Kratos a more varied personality. It's was an idiotic criticism, because the point of Kratos was that he personified the rage felt when playing stressful Hn'S games. He was never supposed to be a character but a metaphor (this is how many old myths works btw). However SSM listened to the whining and decided it was more important to create a more emotional character than to improve the gameplay. And here we are.

In short I blame the hipsters.

I kinda agree.

The gameplay was top notch in God Of War. Even if I love (norse) mythology I really don't want this slow Dark Souls crap in a God of War game.

It was one of the most exciting PS4 titles for me before E3, now it's one of the least exciting titles.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
@darkspineslayer said:

Ascension kind of ruined what little flow the combat had by basically locking the back end of most combos behind a combo multiplier minimum. Combine with cheap enemy design that makes it unreasonably hard to keep the combos going, it was like playing most of the game with the level 1 blades. Everything just got choppy and annoying.

That sounds like shite. I mean, it's a concept worth exploring I suppose, but you'd think they would have left it on the cutting room floor.

I'm just imagining how shitty such a design choice would be if applied to something like NGB. You go to pull off a combo that you know by heart, but oops! Your combo multiplier wasn't quite there. #rekt

Gross lol.

Anyways though, I am actually looking forward to the next GoW footage. I'm thinking with the big reveal out the way they'll likely show us the meat of the gameplay. They probably want to, considering the divisive reactions, and I have a feeling that a lot of fans concerns will be alleviated.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Only half way through number 3. Its decent but doubt i will be going back for more.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#80 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Cory has said they haven't skimped out on combat, puzzles and large enemies. I trust the guy.

From what we know, we saw a 'Tutorial' portion of the game, designed to show the different direction the franchise is taking since everyone harped on about GoW being tired and old, Kratos full of rage 24/7 etc etc. I personally aren't fully on board with the new direction, or at least I need to see a lot more to be 100% convinced, it looks cool but I was definitely expecting a PS4 version of GoW 3 or Acn because those games on PS3 looked and played awesome, knowing full well what the PS4 is capable of.

One thing I was worried about is the grandiose depiction of scale that always baffled me in GoW:

as with this new camera angle we're not going to be getting these types of views any more.

Luckily, Barlog has stated that the troll mini boss in the E3 gameplay is a 'regular' enemy....so damn!

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#81 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

To me the new God Of War as more in common with Uncharted and TLOU than Dark Souls ... yes Dark Souls is slow and brutal ... but so far from what we saw is more cinematic and "emotional" which is like TLOU. I fear the combat part of the game will be clunky just like in TLOU

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@misterpmedia: All your post did was make me want a "real" sequel to the gow games, almost forgot how epic they were with scale and badass enemies/bosses!

Jagoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#83  Edited By Jagoff
Member since 2016 • 515 Posts

The God of War games always kinda sucked though. They have great presentations, but that alone can't cover up just how shallow the combat is, and how uncreative the experience ultimately becomes. My problems are much less to do with Kratos and more to do with the gameplay, although I find it pretty strange on how they're trying to craft a redemption tale out of an irredeemable character. Seems like a very forced decision.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 PSP107

@AM-Gamer:

1. Yet people still complained

2. That's absolutely not true

3. Well there trying something new

I'm not bitching , this is system Wars.

Why are you bitching ?

lol@ trying to spin it.

@StrongBlackVine:"This new direction is much more my style of game though."

Then can I argue that you shouldn't rip true fans of the series.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By jg4xchamp

ITT: People who don't grasp the criticisms of Kratos

We love a genre that gave us Bayonetta and Dante, as the genres best examples of characters. We love cheese and something that isn't super serious, Kratos fucking sucks, because that story itself seriously and takes Kratos the anger ball seriously. It tries to make him empathetic, but you have to accept that this idiot was told 3 times to not be a dick wagon, and says **** it, I"m gonna be a dick wagon...and then proceeds to kill his own family. But okay lets meet half way and accept the original plol is a greek tragedy, even I would agree those staples are handled very well.

The sequels are much better games (because lolvideogamestories), but the character is like extra dumb in those stories. Kratos once against told "don't be a dick", by Athena, gets told by Zeus quit being a dick. He then proceeds to get punished for being a dick. Then climbs out of hell wondering why he got punished for being a dick. Proceeds to then wreck the planet in his infinite dickdom, and then the story says Zeus is the one that went insane, Pandora the fucking plot device and the box put hope inside of Kratos.

So you're stuck with this character who is one fucking note: I'm angry, all the time. Except you've had no real reason to see things from his point of view other than you shut your brain off, and then proceeds to slaughter the gods, only for the game not even not even go all in on his anti-hero/villain status, because he's not even that, he's never fucking presented as that. They actually try to redeem that son of a bitch with a plot line that is mind bendingly stupid.

Which that's supposed to be this franchises calling card, in this franchise with a lot of cheesy stories, God of War is the classy one with the story. Except it sucks, it's infinitely more stupid.

This isn't going to be one of those "well that not my interpretation"..no **** you, you're apologizing for bad writing. Fucking gamers.

That doesn't even get into pettier shit, like the decade of Kratos status as a fucking badass....he has a bleeding vagina for 3 games, what badass? He's a bitch.

As far the gameplay shift, God of War was never mechanically all that satisfying, but this new one looks really slow, and really sluggish. It's not that the fixed camera is gone, it's that they went with the camera similar to how The Last of Us does it. As in not on his shoulder, but more or less on his back. That might work for what is more or less a cover shooter, where you crouch walk a lot, but in a 3d beat em up? There is a reason we've been using Ocarina's camera style for ages, especially in Souls stuff, and there is a reason the camera has been things like what NG and Bayonetta have with a quick camera reset for when things get hectic.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 PSP107

@jg4xchamp:

Wait, are you ripping God of War's story and Kratos but praising Dante and the DMC story arc?

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By jg4xchamp

@PSP107 said:

@jg4xchamp:

Wait, are you ripping God of War's story and Kratos but praising Dante and the DMC story arc?

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Devil May Cry is stupid, and it indulges you in it. It's the opposite of pretentious, it's a self aware cheesefest and I wouldn't have it any other way. Dante's actually fun in his cheese (Fill your heart with light cheese not withstanding), and it's a better game for it. Devil May Cry and its ilk are more like Commando or Robocop. God of War is fucking Transformers.

Although if we're going all in on the narrative direction stuff. Viewtiful Joe and The Wonderful 101 are the best of the bunch in that regard, also more into cheese, but that much more endearing.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By PSP107

@jg4xchamp: "Devil May Cry and its ilk are more like Commando or Robocop."

Now this just beyond laughable =(