I hate the fact that the new GOW shares more with dark souls than Bayonetta/Neir

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I can tell that dark souls games have their audience and good for them to enjoy such slow paced, clunky boring games.

I can not say GOW games have the best gameplay. It is simple, repetitive but fun and definitely faster than DS games. GOW : A in particular made very nice changes to the combat, they added the 2ndy weapons, ariels combos were longer, added the elemental attacks (was not really used though) and the overall pace was faster compared to the old GOW. I was really hoping for SM to build on that.

Now with the reboot, SM has the chance to any change they desire, and I am really concerned that they took the dark souls route, rather than Bayonetta/Neir/Ninja gaiden approach to combat. I know GOW is not as fast paced as these games but it is not as slow and boring as DS games. I really hope SM proves me wrong at this and find the right pace to combat because they could craft the best Kratos ever but without good and fun combat, the game will fall apart, it is hack and slash game after all.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

The Doom demo ended up looking much slower than the final product. We barely saw anything with the demo tbh.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts

People were whining that Kratos was so 1-dimensional, that he was just angry all the time etc. SSM listened to the criticism and decided to move the camera closer and give Kratos a more varied personality. It's was an idiotic criticism, because the point of Kratos was that he personified the rage felt when playing stressful Hn'S games. He was never supposed to be a character but a metaphor (this is how many old myths works btw). However SSM listened to the whining and decided it was more important to create a more emotional character than to improve the gameplay. And here we are.

In short I blame the hipsters.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By 2mrw

@Sushiglutton said:

People were whining that Kratos was so 1-dimensional, that he was just angry all the time etc. SSM listened to the criticism and decided to move the camera closer and give Kratos a more varied personality. It's was an idiotic criticism, because the point of Kratos was that he personified the rage felt when playing stressful Hn'S games. He was never supposed to be a character but a metaphor (this is how many old myths works btw). However SSM listened to the whining and decided it was more important to create a more emotional character than to improve the gameplay. And here we are.

I honestly feel pitty for those whining because they didn't CARE for Kratos, it is a game, dude. It is supposed to be fun, in GOW case, fun comes from tearing limbs and crushing the other gods (do not take this the wrong way, lol). I do not hate the new Kratos, but they are now talking about the new sensitive Kratos and **** anything else. I am very skeptical about this game more than the old GOW games despite the massive hype train.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts

@2mrw said:
@Sushiglutton said:

I honestly feel pitty for those whining because they didn't CARE for Kratos, it is a game, dude. It is supposed to be fun, in GOW case, fun comes from tearing limbs and crushing the other gods (do not take this the wrong way, lol). I do not hate the new Kratos, but they are now talking about the new sensitive Kratos and **** anything else. I am very skeptical about this game more than the old GOW games despite the massive hype train.

Agree completely. People saying stuff like "I didn't feel any sympathy for Kratos", or worse "I didn't connect to Kratos" makes me as angry as Kratos lol. He's a scumbag and that's fine. Apparently in the stroywriting manual everyone seems to have read you are not supposed to make protagonists like this.

That being said we have seen so little yet and I think Barlog claimed they wanted to show something different (aka a slower moment) so it's too early to judge the game. I'm also a bit sceptical though.

Junky-trunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Junky-trunk
Member since 2016 • 228 Posts

The game should be fine, I mean we have Cory Barlog back its not Stig glad he's out

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Uhh, maybe they wanted to move God of War into a slightly different space because the HnS genre is getting saturated with the influx of other titles? They have a good IP with God of War. The series got stale with Ascension and everyone knows it. It is well time for a change. They let God of War cool off after making a stinker and they're taking it in a different creative direction to justify taking it off mothballs.

And frankly, I'm not surprised that OP is bitching about a Sony IP.

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

I dont see why a more "emotional" Kratos should result in a much slower combat/gameplay and for them to adopt a Dark Souls approach tho.

Why couldnt they just build on the existing GoW formula and still make a more "relatable" Kratos?

Not that I dislike it, I did enjoy the trailer but I also got a bit annoyed that theres a cutscene like every 20 feet or where the controls are taken away. Here we go again, CINEMATIC EXPERRRRRIIIEEENNNCCEEE.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 2mrw

@Shewgenja said:

Uhh, maybe they wanted to move God of War into a slightly different space because the HnS genre is getting saturated with the influx of other titles? They have a good IP with God of War. The series got stale with Ascension and everyone knows it. It is well time for a change. They let God of War cool off after making a stinker and they're taking it in a different creative direction to justify taking it off mothballs.

This is called constructive criticism not bitching .... I do believe I have valid concerns about the game plays, but anyways, trolls are everywhere so can't blame you

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@2mrw said:

This is called constructive criticism not bitching .... I do believe I have valid concerns about the game plays, but anyways, trolls are everywhere so can't blame you

Fair enough. I guess we all have our opinion. I just think the old formula was showing its age with Ascension. They needed a change. Typically, I'm all about saying "Why buy a God of War game if it doesn't play like a God of War game." but in this case, I think they tore the butthole out of Greek mythology and in so doing they wore out the options with Kratos in that realm. The fact they are not only thrusting him into another mythology but developing the character is no shock to me.

Then again.. I really did not like Ascension if you can't tell. If I didn't enjoy so many of the other God of War games, I probably wouldn't have completed it. It was just an exercise in going through the paces.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22545 Posts

We've only seen highly choreographed controlled gameplay. We don't know how fluid and fast it will play.

I will tell you I had no interest in "another" god of War... They took a chance at changing and rebirthing the series and now I am even hyped for it. Good or bad.

I hope we see more stale franchises either pack up and go away or attempt to reinvent.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I don't mind the change though I do still wish for the old style GOW.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

I welcome the change they're introducing. I loved the anger in Kratos and never got why some people complained about it. He's an antihero, selfish prick. But the gameplay was getting boring honestly. I didn't play the last 2 games(Ghost and Ascension) for that reason. And the tacked in MP. Don't get why people whine about no mp when they don't even play it or no sp when they are just going to focus on mp. But that's fo another day.

Velius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Velius
Member since 2016 • 66 Posts

Maybe they wanted to actually make a new game.

I am all for taking characters/franchises and changing the gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I'm pretty happy with the direction the new God of War is taking, so...

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I would not buy it if they slow it down....I have tried to like Dark Souls and Bloodborne games....but just can't enjoy them.

Velius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Velius
Member since 2016 • 66 Posts
@2mrw said:
@Shewgenja said:

Don't think I'd call it constructive if you're insulting another style of play while voicing your concerns. Dark Souls mechanisms are not clunky. You have to go into battle with a very well-thought out plan, and knowledge of how your weapon works in the environment in which you will fight, or you'll die. It's a different way of playing than what we find in GoW/DMC/Bayo. But to bemoan and ostracize "A" because it isn't "B" makes one look biased and capricious.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Not a fan of the new direction at all

• They changed attack to R1/R2 and removed the combo meter so we know combos will no longer be in it
  • The combat appears to be a very slow paced Souls clone, even worse than Lords of the Fallen
  • The kid follows you around the whole game, and even has his own gimmick button
  • Shoehorned crafting and RPG elements
  • focus on story and character development that has never been about this

God of War has always been about the fast, visceral combo-based combat, the gore, the spectacle, the incredible boss fights, with some lite puzzle/platforming thrown in for a bit of variety.

This new reboot or whatever you want to call it seems to have entirely lost the appeal of it. Then I see everyone applauding this dumbed down shit, most of them saying how they never even liked the old God of War games... it's like they made a God of War game to appeal to people who hate God of War. I mean I really do like Souls combat, but don't shoehorn it into every fucking game, and you don't have to dumb down gameplay to have well-written story and characters.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

This game is going to be crap.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

1. Good that they are not doing the same old GOW.

2. That being said I wasn't impressed with the reveal. It looks like Rise of the God of Us: The Last of Uncharted Raider.

3. At least it looks nice.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

What a load of shit lol.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 2mrw

@Chozofication said:
@Sushiglutton said:

What a load of shit lol.

He is right though .... People kept whining about how angry Kratos is, now we have sissy Kratos in a DS paint .. lol

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 2mrw

@StealthMonkey4 said:

Not a fan of the new direction at all

• They changed attack to R1/R2 and removed the combo meter so we know combos will no longer be in it
  • The combat appears to be a very slow paced Souls clone, even worse than Lords of the Fallen
  • The kid follows you around the whole game, and even has his own gimmick button
  • Shoehorned crafting and RPG elements
  • focus on story and character development that has never been about this

God of War has always been about the fast, visceral combo-based combat, the gore, the spectacle, the incredible boss fights, with some lite puzzle/platforming thrown in for a bit of variety.

This new reboot or whatever you want to call it seems to have entirely lost the appeal of it. Then I see everyone applauding this dumbed down shit, most of them saying how they never even liked the old God of War games... it's like they made a God of War game to appeal to people who hate God of War. I mean I really do like Souls combat, but don't shoehorn it into every fucking game, and you don't have to dumb down gameplay to have well-written story and characters.

I have seen the director in an interview saying they know how to do set pieces very well, that's why they wanted to show that piece during the show as a matter of change. I am pretty sure they will amaze us with their set pieces and cutscenes but the combat looks awful.

@chikenfriedrice said:

I would not buy it if they slow it down....I have tried to like Dark Souls and Bloodborne games....but just can't enjoy them.

I am still scratching my head how people enjoy these games.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@2mrw said:
@Chozofication said:
@Sushiglutton said:

What a load of shit lol.

He is right though .... People kept whining about how angry Kratos is, now we have sissy Kratos in a DS paint .. lol

Actually he seems more likable now, not that that's saying much. He was a whiny bitch before. Secondly virtually no one who disliked Kratos wanted him to change, I wanted a new character.

Who the **** said they wanted the last of us gameplay in a gow game? How does wanting a better character result in this garbage, as if games like bayonetta and devil may cry don't exist? So yeah, load of shit.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

There really is no pleasing everyone.

I thought it looked fantastic, why is everyone so toxic about change?

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

That could be true, or they wanted to do something different being that they are creative people.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

The new direction of gow is the only reason i'm interested. The Souls series is the gaming industry's standard. Its normal that everyone is borrowing their ideas.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

Your opinion is crap. Santa Monica is one of the best developers in the industry.

This is how you revitalize a franchise that was getting stale and they didn't even need a reboot.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@2mrw said:
@Sushiglutton said:

I feel the same way and that is why I love God of War 3 where he just freaking wipe every god out and screw the humans.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 2mrw

@silversix_ said:

The new direction of gow is the only reason i'm interested. The Souls series is the gaming industry's standard. Its normal that everyone is borrowing their ideas.

God, this DS phenomenon is the most annoying thing that hit the industry in a very long time. Ninja Gaiden could be a standard, Bayonetta could be a standard, Nier looks like it could be a standard .... I accept the fact that some gamers like DS games but to consider these the standard is just absurd and honestly I would just quit on the HnS genre.

@Liquid_ said:

There really is no pleasing everyone.

I thought it looked fantastic, why is everyone so toxic about change?

The concern here is that they are making the changes that nobody is asking for. The combat is what was getting stale, not the story per se. From the look of it, combat is borrowing from a much slower game which imo is very niche and not suitable for a GOW game.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1471 Posts

It doesn't even look like a hack and slash anymore. They've changed too much imo.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

Well...GoW was always among the worst action games compared to other titles from the same genre like Bayonetta, DMC 3 and Ninja Gaiden, so i really welcome this change.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15541 Posts

Looks more like Ryse if anything.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I don't know what everyone else was watching, but that God of War 4 gameplay was more reminiscent of The Order 1886 gameplay footage in its tight over the shoulder camera, the huge walking section gameplay, the autopilot story and cinematic moments.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

I've played fast button smashing Kratos now I want to play cold and calculated Kratos.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
@2mrw said:

The concern here is that they are making the changes that nobody is asking for. The combat is what was getting stale, not the story per se. From the look of it, combat is borrowing from a much slower game which imo is very niche and not suitable for a GOW game.

Considering the general reactions to the new God of War, people seem totally fine with the changes to the story and combat, even if they never asked for them.

Look, you don't come to God of War for the video game part. These games were always about the flashy presentation and simplicity. The new God of War is living up to its pedigree, but with a new twist that is more modern.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 2mrw

@Vaasman said:

Looks more like Ryse if anything.

Shit, you are completely right !!

I am shocked it did not cross my mind before

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Uhh, maybe they wanted to move God of War into a slightly different space because the HnS genre is getting saturated with the influx of other titles?

It's been the platinum games genre and nothing else, it's not even remotely close to saturated. And when we were getting those type of games more often, God of War was the one that was the most commercially successful.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Agreed with OP.

Changed far too much. Hopefully they can change it up between now and when it releases and reach a middle ground between the old style and new.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26641 Posts

Not a fan of hack and slash games like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry, so I don't mind the changes. I understand why some people would be mad, though.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:
@Bigboi500 said:

Your opinion is crap. Santa Monica is one of the best developers in the industry.

This is how you revitalize a franchise that was getting stale and they didn't even need a reboot.

Your credibility is crap here. Go watch a youtube vid.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#43 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58644 Posts

They shook things up - looks interesting

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

I find a little funny that many seem to welcome this "change" like its a new thing. Sure, its new for GoW...

Except it now looks and plays like every other third person over-the-shoulder triple A blockbuster game. It even sounds like one, with the chars describing each and every action or event and controls taken away every few minutes.

I don't hate it, I'm actually am going to get it but tbh, I do feel a bit let down. I actually feel that if had they return back with the same GoW flavor, that would have been a breath of fresh air in a market saturated with "movie-like cinematic set pieces" games.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18782 Posts

@2mrw: Well said. I'm not liking this God of War so far.

@Shewgenja:"The series got stale with Ascension and everyone knows it."

The problem with Ascension was that they concentrated more on the MP while the SP was an afterthought. 2mrw was right about the combat did change a bit in Ascension.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

I'm pretty happy with the direction the new God of War is taking, so...

We agree again, this is getting ridiculous.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#47 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

I hate the fact what they showed of new GoW sucked homeless scrotum

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@Bigboi500: Nice comeback. Your opinion is still garbage and you have no way to defend it. Which is why you didn't even try. Take that L.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

This is why the industry is filled with annual rehashes because gamers whine anytime there is change. And then when something doesn't change they cry that its gotten stale. Thank god Santa Monica doesn't care what a bunch of self entitled nerds think.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18782 Posts

@StrongBlackVine:

What will be the difference if he had said the game will be a hit instead of garbage?