Hypothetical: PS5 base ($400) or PS5 pro ($500 with 60 fps/1080p option for all games) which would you buy?

• 54 results
appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Hypothetical: PS5 base ($400) or PS5 pro ($500 with 60 fps/1080p option for all games) which would you buy? (46 votes)

Base 15%
Pro 85%

The PS5 will almost certainly launch with some sort of Ryzen variant. I'm curious which option most of you would go for.

A base model, with perhaps a 4 core / 8 thread Ryzen variant that would often be limited to 30 fps in AAA games....

Or an 8 core / 8 thread variant with higher clock speeds on a pro version with a "performance" mode, that could guarantee 60 fps in any title that already runs at a solid 30 fps on the base model.

Obviously the pro version of the console would be bulkier and draw more power.

I'm curious for those of you who don't seem to care about fps all that much, if you would be willing to sink an extra $100 for that option.

• 
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#51  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@rzxv04 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@rzxv04 said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

You can be optimistic as you like but that doesn't change the fact that 8 core mobile ryzen chips dont actually exist nor are they in the pipeline, they max out at 4 cores and 8 threads... The only way to get 8 cores would be to use infinity fabric to essentualy glue 2 chips on to one die which is exactly what the current generation on consoles CPU's are, two 4 core Jaguar chips on one die.

Also 8 cores and 8 threads?... Its just 8 cores, threads are double the amount of cores you have and if its not a SMT chip then its just a 8 core chip. Maybe you are talking about 8 cores and 16 threads?... If so not possible in terms of TDP.

As for your RAM expectations?... GDDR6 is expensive and expecting anything more than 16GB is just delusional.

The next generation will more or less look like:

• AMD Zen Picasso 4 cores 8 threads at 2.5 - 2.8 GHz or two 4 core chips on one die with SMT disabled making 8 real cores at similar frequencies
  • GDDR6 10-16GB
  • 1TB SSHD
  • Custom Polaris 30 based GPGPU (underclocked RX 670/680s)... Or MAYBE Navi 10
  • 4K Bluray

Navi 10 is rumoured to be Vega level of performance but with lower TDP due to being 7nm, but a console varient would lower the clocks to hit even lower TDP than a desktop so the performance may even match that of a Polaris 30 desktop chip which will more or less be slower than Vega but faster than Polaris 20 making it redundant for console use and rumours always over estimate during console launches, so the safe bet is a Polaris 30 based PS5.

I don't know... But I do know that their are no native 8 core mobile chips from AMD in the works.

Do they have a mobile part roadmap for 2021 that discounts 8 true cores? Serious question.

I kinda agree with the RAM. Maybe even more expensive with HMB2/3 so those that expected 32 GB ram from early threads are in for disappointment.

Unless I am mistaken the 8 Core Jaguar in 2013 was also a custom part (obviously) and at that time there were no mass consumer 8 core Jaguars even for tablets. 2-4 Cores were the common setup for the cheapest tablets/laptops in 2013 and 2014, maybe even today.

Shouldn't AMD and Sony has a chance to not conform with common core counts in current line up for laptop hardware as proven with PS4's and XB1's release?

I highly doubt custom Polaris. Probably a custom part that may or may not be easy to compare upon release date but I'd bet it's closer to a "custom" Navi. Maybe custom at Vega at worst where AMD/MS/Sony can finally use those supposed planned but currently missing/unimplemented features in current Vega.

Console's 8 Jaguar setup is just two module 4 core Jaguar near copy-and-paste job, hence AMD's "semi-custom" PR marketing.

Comparison

8 cores with 8 threads Jaguar's FPU/SIMD unit totals

• 8 FMUL SIMD at 128 bit width. Single floating point operations per cycle per unit.
  • 8 FADD SIMD at 128 bit width. Single floating point operations per cycle per unit.

Two CCX modules equivalent.

Quad cores with 8 threads Ryzen 5/7 mobile (12 to 25 watts) FPU/SIMD unit totals

• 8 FADD SIMD at 128 bit width. Single floating point operations per cycle per unit.
  • 8 Fused ADD and MUL SIMD at 128 bit width. Two floating point operations per cycle per unit.

Single CCX module.

Eight cores with 16 threads Ryzen 7 FPU/SIMD unit totals

• 16 FADD SIMD at 128 bit width. Single floating point operations per cycle per unit.
  • 16 Fused ADD and MUL SIMD at 128 bit width. Two floating point operations per cycle per unit.

Two CCX modules.

Future Ryzen at 7nm has 8 cores per CCX module.

And that still makes the copy pasta job unusual from any of the PC lineup for standard consumers around that time. Should they have used "quarter/slightly-custom" instead?

If it's a fact that near future Ryzen (2019?) will have 8 core per CCX as you've mentioned, that gives even more possibility for AMD/Sony/MS to even use just 1 CCX that'll have at the very least 8 cores but I won't be surprised with low clockspeeds anywhere from mid 2 Ghz to low 3 Ghz.

On a tangent, thanks partly to inflation/tariffs, I have a bad feeling the cheapest base system will be $ 499 outside of the supposed weak and more dedicated streamer (which will seem redundant depending on how they implement the product) that's rumored to come with the next gen systems.

I'm not sure when's the exact plateau but we're currently at increasing the core counts of typical "gaming" rigs since Ryzen. By 2021 8 core AMD might be the typical setup for the popular builds by then.

I think there's a marketing aspect to it as well so I'm optimistic AMD/Sony/MS will do their best to get at least 8 cores no matter what (be it older than 2021 architecture/CCXs setups). Heck even for a late 2019 release.

Who knows ofc.

Significant number of PS4s are made in Japan and are not affected by Trump's China tariffs.

For anti-China arguments, buy Made In Japan PS4/PS4 Pro.

https://www.techpowerup.com/248382/msi-talks-about-nvidia-supply-issues-us-trade-war-and-rtx-2080-ti-lightning

The first question asked was about the brewing US-Chinese trade war and if it will affect prices of graphics cards and CPUs. To which, Liao Wei, Deputy General Manager of MSI Global Multimedia Business Unit, and MSI Headquarters Graphics Card Products gave an actual answer. Stating that the since NVIDIA's GPU core is handled by a TSMC in Taiwan and memory is handled by Samsung and Hynix in South Korea and the United States respectively, there is little chance of further graphics card price hikes

However CPU side prices may increase on the Intel side, however, AMD is expected to be unaffected.

AMD's CPUs and APUs are fabricated in USA and Taiwan.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#52 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts

I'd sooner spend 3000 on a PC (which is a joke, fellas, don't think I actually spend that much on one...) than 400 on a console.

Quality is worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Think I'll wait for the beefier iteration.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#54  Edited By rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@rzxv04 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@rzxv04 said:

Do they have a mobile part roadmap for 2021 that discounts 8 true cores? Serious question.

I kinda agree with the RAM. Maybe even more expensive with HMB2/3 so those that expected 32 GB ram from early threads are in for disappointment.

Unless I am mistaken the 8 Core Jaguar in 2013 was also a custom part (obviously) and at that time there were no mass consumer 8 core Jaguars even for tablets. 2-4 Cores were the common setup for the cheapest tablets/laptops in 2013 and 2014, maybe even today.

Shouldn't AMD and Sony has a chance to not conform with common core counts in current line up for laptop hardware as proven with PS4's and XB1's release?

I highly doubt custom Polaris. Probably a custom part that may or may not be easy to compare upon release date but I'd bet it's closer to a "custom" Navi. Maybe custom at Vega at worst where AMD/MS/Sony can finally use those supposed planned but currently missing/unimplemented features in current Vega.

Console's 8 Jaguar setup is just two module 4 core Jaguar near copy-and-paste job, hence AMD's "semi-custom" PR marketing.

Comparison

8 cores with 8 threads Jaguar's FPU/SIMD unit totals

• 8 FMUL SIMD at 128 bit width. Single floating point operations per cycle per unit.

Two CCX modules equivalent.

Quad cores with 8 threads Ryzen 5/7 mobile (12 to 25 watts) FPU/SIMD unit totals

• 8 Fused ADD and MUL SIMD at 128 bit width. Two floating point operations per cycle per unit.

Single CCX module.

Eight cores with 16 threads Ryzen 7 FPU/SIMD unit totals

• 16 FADD SIMD at 128 bit width. Single floating point operations per cycle per unit.
  • 16 Fused ADD and MUL SIMD at 128 bit width. Two floating point operations per cycle per unit.

Two CCX modules.

Future Ryzen at 7nm has 8 cores per CCX module.

And that still makes the copy pasta job unusual from any of the PC lineup for standard consumers around that time. Should they have used "quarter/slightly-custom" instead?

If it's a fact that near future Ryzen (2019?) will have 8 core per CCX as you've mentioned, that gives even more possibility for AMD/Sony/MS to even use just 1 CCX that'll have at the very least 8 cores but I won't be surprised with low clockspeeds anywhere from mid 2 Ghz to low 3 Ghz.

On a tangent, thanks partly to inflation/tariffs, I have a bad feeling the cheapest base system will be $ 499 outside of the supposed weak and more dedicated streamer (which will seem redundant depending on how they implement the product) that's rumored to come with the next gen systems.

I'm not sure when's the exact plateau but we're currently at increasing the core counts of typical "gaming" rigs since Ryzen. By 2021 8 core AMD might be the typical setup for the popular builds by then.

I think there's a marketing aspect to it as well so I'm optimistic AMD/Sony/MS will do their best to get at least 8 cores no matter what (be it older than 2021 architecture/CCXs setups). Heck even for a late 2019 release.

Who knows ofc.

Significant number of PS4s are made in Japan and are not affected by Trump's China tariffs.

For anti-China arguments, buy Made In Japan PS4/PS4 Pro.

https://www.techpowerup.com/248382/msi-talks-about-nvidia-supply-issues-us-trade-war-and-rtx-2080-ti-lightning

The first question asked was about the brewing US-Chinese trade war and if it will affect prices of graphics cards and CPUs. To which, Liao Wei, Deputy General Manager of MSI Global Multimedia Business Unit, and MSI Headquarters Graphics Card Products gave an actual answer. Stating that the since NVIDIA's GPU core is handled by a TSMC in Taiwan and memory is handled by Samsung and Hynix in South Korea and the United States respectively, there is little chance of further graphics card price hikes

However CPU side prices may increase on the Intel side, however, AMD is expected to be unaffected.

AMD's CPUs and APUs are fabricated in USA and Taiwan.

Sadly, I don't think I'll go for that luxury of getting a non made in China system as I am not sure if Sony will honor the warranty and might be even more expensive locally.

If what the net says it's true. I am not in the region that gets the Japanese made PS4s.

As far as the tariffs go, since the product is still going to be likely tagged by "made in China" and as under electronics, wouldn't it still get some tariffs?

Do other nations have a match against Foxconn? Isn't that were most PS4's came from early on?

I've also heard Lisa in youtube talk about the price increase but she just said they will try their best to somewhat mitigate it but I'm skeptical since if they do adjust for that they can just use the cover pricing it "correctly" compared to Nvidia's new pricing scheme which is said to be unprecedented by many. I'm not sure about that though since I vaguely remember ATIs 4850/4870 destroying price/performance of Nvidia's higher end cards back then.

I guess it may also depend on how AMD plays along with Nvidia's RTX line of prices.