How would you rate this gen of gaming so far?

• 51 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How would you rate this gen of gaming so far? (90 votes)

Best generation ever 17%
Not the best, but one of the greats 40%
It's good.. 28%
Not that great 7%
Mediocre 2%
Crap 7%

Is it better than last gen? The gen before? I'm happy with this generation, but I feel like it's more of a continuation of last gen. More shooters, more graphics, more features, but not necessarily more innovation. Do you feel like we've had a generation lap, SW? Or more of the same?

• 
Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

It's better than last gen.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61488 Posts

I've had less all-time favourite games this gen, but in overall terms i'd say it's been better.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

There's been some really great games, but I think a lot of games tank due to fake promises or overblown hype.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24926 Posts

Starting was 6/10. now its 8/10.

not best ever but certainly improved from abysmal last gen. however the problem this gen is too many movie games and SJW/feminist inspired games from big companies

This gen gave us DOOM which is best FPS of this decade and better than any FPS of last gen not named STALKER.

It give us Hitman which is best stealth game since Splinter cell Chaos Theory

It give us Prey which is better bioshock than last gen bioshock

It give us Best resident evil game that is 7.

the positive side is games are becoming more like late 90s and early 00s. with Games like DOOM, Hitman, and soon to be Metro Exodus and DOOM Eternal. this is just becoming more better.

STALKER and System Shock 3 i think will be next gen games. i cant see them before 2021.

Garrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Garrom
Member since 2017 • 33 Posts

It is crap. You, youngers probably don't know but games of 80' and 90' were best games ever.I remember when games had 16 colors and 100 x 120 pixels. Graphic was not best but it wasn't worse neither. Unlike today games, before, games had something great. It was gameplay. Savepoints was far as south from north and continuous dying forcing you to play over and over but we still liked it. I like it even today. Games looks better now, but gameplay is crap, where is originality ? All originality was left in 90' when every game was unique. And what about all ads and in-app purchase ? It is shit, shit i said.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Not as interesting and exciting as the 7th gen, and not quite as much quality as the 6th, but still a great time.

Worst aspects were MS doubling down on Kinect and media and Nintendo releasing their worst lemon yet with WiiU... but both have those have since been rectified (Xbox refocused on gaming, Nintendo released Switch). And PS4 has been rock solid reliable quality all gen.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Probably my second favorite Gen of all time.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24926 Posts

@garrom said:

It is crap. You, youngers probably don't know but games of 80' and 90' were best games ever.I remember when games had 16 colors and 100 x 120 pixels. Graphic was not best but it wasn't worse neither. Unlike today games, before, games had something great. It was gameplay. Savepoints was far as south from north and continuous dying forcing you to play over and over but we still liked it. I like it even today. Games looks better now, but gameplay is crap, where is originality ? All originality was left in 90' when every game was unique. And what about all ads and in-app purchase ? It is shit, shit i said.

90s has originality because everything was just inventing. now its invented and they are evolving the old formula.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46310 Posts

I'm having a blast.

I'm seeing great games like Prey, Vampyr or Mafia III score really low or not finding much of an audience, but for me this has always been the same thing over generations: the best games out there are those you discover, not those that are hyped up as "THE BEST GAME"

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By blamix
Member since 2006 • 2033 Posts

Great if you got a PS4 and Switch

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

It's been great. I'm liking it way more than last gen at least.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

If you had asked me this question before 2017, I would have said that I hated this generation and think that it is by far the worst generation that I have ever lived through since I started gaming on the NES.

Last year did a lot to improve my view on this generation. Most of that is due to the Nintendo Switch which I love and I think that the Nintendo Switch is on it's way to becoming one of my top 5 favorite consoles of all time when it is all said and done. I also like how there has recently been a stronger focus on retro-style games such as Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, Sonic Mania, and Cuphead and that these retro-style games are selling incredibly well which is encouraging developers to focus more on retro-style games (I can't wait for BattleToads!). And lastly, I like how Battle Royale style games have become very popular since PUBG launched last year since this is a competitive style of gaming that I have been wanting to see for a long time and I'm happy that it is now finally a popular thing. Thank you 2017 for saving this generation for me!

There is still a lot that I hate about this generation though which is therefore still keeping it as my overall least favorite generation as of now. I think that the PS4 is Sony's worst console ever and the Xbox One is Microsoft's worst console ever. I hate how movie-games are dominating this generation. I hate how AAA developers largely ignore over-the-top arcade style gameplay nowadays. I hate how political correctness is plaguing the gaming industry nowadays (as it is plaguing all entertainment industries unfortunately). I hate micro-transactions. I hate that games generally don't offer much genuine challenge nowadays and have way too much hand-holding. I hate that games no longer come with a manual. I hate how developers nowadays don't understand that a shorter game that is fun from beginning to end is better than a game that you pad with boring filler content just to make it longer which ends up causing people like me to feel like they are doing a chore and therefore lose interest in the game.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

Mediocre. Actually I think this might be the weakest gaming generation I can think of off the top of my head, and I've been playing games since the late 80s. DOOM and Shadow of Mordor were good. Fallout 4 was decent. Witcher 3 was decent but massively overrated. There have been some high profile flops, like Mass Effect Andromeda. I've played plenty of other games, but none of them stand out in my mind. Nothing on the consoles looks good enough to get me to buy one. And I say that as someone who owned all three consoles last gen in addition to a gaming PC.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44196 Posts

I think it’s been pretty great so far. There’s been a hell of a lot of games that I’ve enjoyed.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7235 Posts

I've enjoyed it but it's not been great as it's been no competition between Sony and MS. On the gaming side I've had a lot of memories.

Mawimawiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mawimawiwi
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

I really think there is improvement, more and more to be excited about and there is so many choices. Will it be the best ever I hope not..

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#17 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Pretty great, probably a 9/10. Plenty of great games, but also lots of greed and lootboxes.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Honestly, every new generation is better than the last. Why? Because we can still play all of the old games from the last generations. Well, at least we can on PC. ;)

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

I'd say this was the best generation ever and I fully expect every generation to get better from now on, and that's mostly because of VR. The industry certainly hit some bad practices this gen, but despite that there were a lot of stellar games - and the bad practices have not hit VR yet.

The HoloDeck is basically the dream of all gamers so every step we make towards it will result in a better generation one after another as far as I'm concerned. It kind of reset the industry to a point where each generation can bring something totally fresh again like in the 80s and 90s. Sure, the PS4 and PS5 might not feel that different, but PSVR1 and PSVR2 sure as hell will feel worlds apart.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

voted crap

its not the gen's fault. its just that my happiest days are behind me. and everything sucks to me now.

cool for you guys that still are able to feel joy and hapiness though. :P

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#21 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

voted crap

its not the gen's fault. its just that my happiest days are behind me. and everything sucks to me now.

There are meds for this you know?

I give it ten scoops of Rum Raisin out 10 hole in ones.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@KBFloYd said:

voted crap

There are meds for this you know?

I give it ten scoops of Rum Raisin out 10 hole in ones.

meds didnt work. its ok. i can still feel pleasure and confidence that is a big plus.

but hapiness and joy are definitely bye bye.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Biggest revolution happened with the transition to 3D consoles, of course we wont see this giant leap again when it comes to graphics and gameplay changes, revolutions and evolutions of that caliber.

In this kind of era we just polishing more what we already have seen than actually providing revolutionary ways of playing games like in the very early 3D gaming era. In our era is all about polishing, add few extra cool features left and right, push graphics and physics, provide solid open worlds that feel more lively than ever, cinematic appeal that rivals movies etc. Its a different kind of era that all it does is polishing what we already have in short.

This generation is one of the great with plenty of kickass games but not as good as some generations that provided games that pushed their respective genres to new heights and almost revolutionized whole genres like Street fighter 2 for fighters in 16 bit era or Super mario 64 as 3D game for 32bit era and Half life for FPS genre in 1998/99 etc .. Rarely we gonna see such games from now on, if ever with that kind of impact.

This generation was more VR / 4K focused than anything. I would prefer for developers and console manufacturers to have kept pushing ingame graphics and everything else ingame related than focus on VR and resolutions but it is what it is. With the amount of games weve got this generation i shouldnt whine.

With that being said, this generation was a blast, ive played some amazing indie like games, some great open world games and some amazing SPs. And more are coming which is insane considering that Wii U died, X1 having hard time and Switch is underpowered ... we still getting massive amount of games under these circumstances which is kinda crazy ( thanks PS4 and PC gaming and Switch a bit )

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#24 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69521 Posts

This is the gen of remasters and cinematic gaming. Not a fan of the later but overall decent gen with games like Prey, Dishonored and Ori.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

It's definitely been a pretty awesome gen so far... right up there with last gen I think.

But if I think about my list of fav games of all time, there are definitely quite a few games from this gen sitting in my top 20 (like Witcher 3, Hellblade, Inside, Ori, Wolfenstein 1 & 2, Forza Horizon 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Batman Arkham Knight etc). Some of them maybe even in my top 10 of all time.

So it's been pretty good so far. And it ain't over yet :)

Garrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Garrom
Member since 2017 • 33 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@garrom said:

90s has originality because everything was just inventing. now its invented and they are evolving the old formula.

That is not really true. Many great concepts died because of new games. "Evolving the old formula" Is not right, it is more like "Destroying the old formula"

Anyway, this is question of personal opinion. You are not going to change my opinion and you are not letting me change your opinion. Let cut it here, no one want flame war.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56123 Posts

"Not the best, but one of the greats" is how I can describe this gen and so far, I have enjoy playing some really amazing games this gen has to offer.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AzatiS
@Pedro said:

This is the gen of remasters and cinematic gaming. Not a fan of the later but overall decent gen with games like Prey, Dishonored and Ori.

WAsnt dishonored a past gen game ?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56123 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@Pedro said:

Dishonored was release on PS3/Xbox 360 in October 2012, but however, there is a Dishonored: Definitive Edition that was release August 2015 for PS4/Xbox One. So I guess Pedro must've played the current-gen version if that what he means.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

I've had less all-time favourite games this gen, but in overall terms i'd say it's been better.

Exactly how I feel.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22686 Posts

It's become more diverse which I appreciate... Still think it's got some ways to go though.

Its a good generation. Bloodborne and breath of the wild are the two truly standout games I played this gen but I'm really anticipating a pretty good back end of the generation.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AzatiS
@davillain- said:
@AzatiS said:
@Pedro said:

Dishonored was release on PS3/Xbox 360 in October 2012, but however, there is a Dishonored: Definitive Edition that was release August 2015 for PS4/Xbox One. So I guess Pedro must've played the current-gen version if that what he means.

I guess so, because technically dishonored for PS4 or something is a remaster.

Anyways i think this generation had something for everyone. Open world games, cinematic games, platformers, racing, amazing indie like games, SPs, MPs, FPS, TPS, Horror etc etc ... . I dont think because this generation we had more cinematic games and remasters than before it lacks in any other area vs past generations ... just few games i would like to see like Portal 3 or a new 2D rayman but its alright.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34617 Posts

Pretty good. Could be way better.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

its total crap just look at ps1 library it kicks ps4's ass

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44568 Posts

Probably a mental image sums it up for me, imagine like a parent trying to feed a hungry baby and the baby keeps slapping the spoon away but then keeps crying that it is hungry. That's what I feel defines this generation of gaming, a whiny group of gamers who moan about everything, think nothing is fun, take great offense to games being more inclusive as hamfisted political correctness, the generation that allowed GamerGate to get Donald Trump elected, the generation that got brainwashed by NeoGAF, one where YouTube gaming channels have become nothing more than places people go to watch angry videos about why you should hate this game or that game.

And the games themselves, I give it a B, my expectations remain in check. Last gen was a gaming arms race that saw countless developers meet their end making make it or break it investments and in many ways this gen kind of serves as a rehabilitation period for the industry to get its footing back.

As for models of monetization people really hate... well, not arguing for them, keep in mind these are the companies that survived last gen's bloodbath. They do it arguably by necessity. Surely the explosion of used game sales last gen played a large part in publisher/developer problems, coupled with increased costs in game production brought in by more capable systems and a highly competitive market, I no doubt in some part believe the situation share blame on many fronts from consumers to retailers and the publishers.

If I have on chief complaint this gen, games are too damn long. Seems games are way too padded to extend their life. I think gamers share some blame here. We used to complain if a game could be beaten in 6-10 hours, now it seems everything wants to be 40-100 hours. I remember I used to replay good games. Now I feel the amount of commitment in modern games is too demanding to the point I rarely replay them.

Anyhow, people act like there's never anything good to play. I frankly feel there's tons of good stuff to play, the tragedy being there's just not enough time to keep up with it.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#36 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

@lamprey263: I agree with a lot of what you just said.

As an adult gamer, this gen is a blast! There are soooooo many great games to be played on all platforms, both digitally and retail physical releases.

But yes games do seem to be getting way longer, heck a lot of SEGA Genesis games could be beat in an hour if you got good at them.

I really don't have enough time in my life to dedicate hundreds of hours into a game. I'm actually a little overwhelmed with the amount of games I want to play.

For Instance, I want to get Yakuza Kiwami 2 in August, Fist of the North Star in October, and Fallout 76 in November.....and I'm still playing and trying to finish Yakuza 6 and GOW. Plus I really want to play NIOH and Ikaruga on Switch.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

Is this where the satisfaction divide between lems and the rest of us manifests? :P

B+ overall. Slow burn for the first couple years, plus Wii U was a wasteland and - at times - unfairly lambasted. But it has produced some of the best content in gaming history

Few favorites: MGSV, Bloodborne, DOOM, PREY, Overwatch, Child of Light, Nex Machina, Furi, Resogun, Path of Exile, Horizon, God of War (4), plus a number of others I’ve been unable to manage (Witcher 3, Mario Odyssey, etc.).

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@n64dd said:

Probably my second favorite Gen of all time.

Ditto. I feel the same. Honestly, if I had more time and less responsibilities, it would be my favorite due to the sheer breadth and depth of quality games. Wish I had this stuff in my teens when I seemed to have all the free time in the world.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#39 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

This has probably been my favourite generation. So many quality games, both indie and AAA, it's insane!

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rafaelmsoares
Member since 2018 • 657 Posts

The third best ever, behind only the 16 bits and PS2 era.

JakeVIIR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JakeVIIR
Member since 2018 • 18 Posts

Better than the last one, definitely.

Dark_man123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dark_man123
Member since 2005 • 4012 Posts

I would give it an 8 of 10, pretty solid Gen

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#43 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Xbox One has better games then previous Xbox's and PS4 looks better than previous PS consoles. Nintendo looks like sh*t as always in my opinion. Nintendo:Most children's pass time.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#44 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

The games themselves are great. Its the BS business practices that are eroding my confidence in the industry.

Im so tired of seeing almost every game on the “coming soon” page having at least three editions.

Prices also keep increasing, gold editions are pushing $130 now not just $100, and season passes are every where.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#45 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58987 Posts

It's been pretty good.

Kinanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Kinanza
Member since 2018 • 18 Posts

No.

The N64/PS1 era was the best gen.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#48 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

I'm having a blast.

I'm seeing great games like Prey, Vampyr or Mafia III score really low or not finding much of an audience, but for me this has always been the same thing over generations: the best games out there are those you discover, not those that are hyped up as "THE BEST GAME"

your right bro some very good games to play this gen and the year isn't over yet so its all good

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

If I owned a PS4 it would be the worst, but since I own an XB1 its good/ok. Still nothing has beat the 16 bit era, and probably never will :(

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Gaming gets better every gen.

All you need is PS4 and you are set.