Heavenly Sword DEV: The Cell can't HANDLE HD16 or 1080p ***DOWQNGRADE TOTAL***

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ryujin_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Ryujin_X
Member since 2005 • 2441 Posts
[QUOTE="El_Indigo"]

[QUOTE="march1n0"] [QUOTE="El_Indigo"]Is that you NAo ?McLarenAK47

Yep

Wow I never expected you to come here your to smart for this place anyway you just owned some lemmings :D

especially ranik and ryujin. they seemed to jump on it like white on rice.

ryujin is usually smart i just dont know what happened to his first comment in this thread. oh well even smart people get carried way sometimes.:P

I'd like to explain that if I can. First, I think alot of you know that I'm not a Lemming. However I will say that I spend most of my time defending the X360. Mostly because at GS the largest group are cows. And as you know a percentage of a group are always idiots. Therefore because there are more cows, there are more idiots who happen to be cows.

This gen my prefered console is PS2, my prefered games are Japanese made, and I am actually learning Japanese, I'm also a huge anime fan. But the continous anti-X360 comments by some of the less intelligent cows over say the last two months, sort of started to annoy me a bit, and that built up. So when I saw this thread I read through it and I was originally going to post something smart...but then I suddenly got this urge..just to like give them a taste of their own medicine or something.

Because as anyone knows, that first post is not indicative of my normal posts, it's just that I got a sudden urge to act like an idiot, just to get back at the other idiots. Anyway...that's all I wanted to say about that, I don't expect I'll be acting like that again. However I will say that my later posts in the thread were all spot on and there was nothing fanboyish or stupid about them, I think we can agree on that.
khemicalkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 khemicalkid
Member since 2003 • 431 Posts
[QUOTE="march1n0"] stop this madness, please :)
There's not quality loss in that method.
The pair of images that someone quoted in this thread are comparing
a rendering into a FP16 render target with a
 plain rendering into a RGBA8 render target.
This is NOT what Dean is talking about, he's talking about storing in a RGBA8 target a color
in a new color space that can encode with LESS bits per pixel the same amount of data/information
that you can encode using a FP16 format.
In the end it's a good choice even if one doesn't want to use AA at all, cause you get the same
quality as FP16 using less video memory and less bandwith.

quoted so people will actually READ IT!
New_Syntax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 New_Syntax
Member since 2005 • 586 Posts

We constantly adapt as we learn what makes this thing tick...

We are definately not using FP16 HDR anymore, Marco implemented a cool method to get the same results using INT8. Faster and with MSAA, Winner

1080p? could still happen but I reckon 720p will be the standard but we will see. Just can't see us burning precious memory, fillrate and bandwidth for something only a few people can use...Red_Cloak

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=648063#post648063

IT IS USING HDR8?!??! I CAN'T THINK OF ONE X360 GAME THAT DOESNT USE AT LEAST HDR10!

THE DREAM IS DEAD, WAVE BYE TO REALISTIC LIGHTING AND 1080P COWS.

IT'S OVER, THE TRUTH IT FINALLY COMING OUT, CELL IS A DISASTER!

Where in there does it say anything about the Cell or RSX cant handle anything. They said that they werent Using 1080p because it would take time money and system resources to implement, and they didnt think it was worth the resources because not many poeple have 1080p HDTVs. As for FP16, they say they found a way to implement int8 with the same results only faster, and with MSAA(multi-sampling Anti-aliasing). That is all good news.
vacaestupida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 vacaestupida
Member since 2005 • 1265 Posts

Denial in full force...I love it!!!

They downgraded the game cause the PS3 couldnt handle it at 1080p and 60 fps and still look the way the DEV wanted it to.

You can forget about 1080p games.

Plain and simple.

DanoruX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 DanoruX
Member since 2004 • 1903 Posts

They downgraded the game cause the PS3 couldnt handle it at 1080p and 60 fps and still look the way the DEV wanted it to.

Plain and simple.

vacaestupida

You're an idiot.

Plain and simple.
jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#156 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts

Plain and simple.

vacaestupida

Read the Thread, You have been pwned

El_Indigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 El_Indigo
Member since 2005 • 4829 Posts

Plain and simple.

vacaestupida

from the dev

a rendering into a FP16 render target with a plain rendering into a RGBA8 render target.
This is NOT what Dean is talking about, he's talking about storing in a RGBA8 target a color
in a new color space that can encode with LESS bits per pixel the same amount of data/information
In the end it's a good choice even if one doesn't want to use AA at all, cause you get the same

vacaestupida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 vacaestupida
[QUOTE="vacaestupida"]

Plain and simple.

DanoruX

You're an idiot.

Plain and simple.

Whatever man. Its clear as day. They wanted to have better AA and 60 fps so they had to sacrifice resolution and HDR16. Goes to show the PS3 has its weaknesses just like the 360. Hopefully this kills the 2x times more powerful garbage.

El_Indigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 El_Indigo
[QUOTE="DanoruX"] [QUOTE="vacaestupida"]

Plain and simple.

vacaestupida

You're an idiot.

Plain and simple.

Whatever man. Its clear as day. They wanted to have better AA and 60 fps so they had to sacrifice resolution and HDR16. Goes to show the PS3 has its weaknesses just like the 360. Hopefully this kills the 2x times more powerful garbage.

read the devs comment   they didn't downgrade anything

vacaestupida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 vacaestupida
well come one , its the same as ms getting hit with launch some launch titles lacking fsaa .

Sony was all big at thier e3 press confrence talking about fp32 hdr let alone fp16 hdr . Now devs are using int 8 to get more speed .
MonkeyMan8708

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 MonkeyMan8708
Member since 2003 • 2712 Posts
K now tell us how many of you lemmings actually have 1080p :roll:
El_Indigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 El_Indigo

well come one , its the same as ms getting hit with launch some launch titles lacking fsaa .

Sony was all big at thier e3 press confrence talking about fp32 hdr let alone fp16 hdr . Now devs are using int 8 to get more speed .vacaestupida

why wouldn't they use int8    ?  it gives the same  result  for much less video memory and less bandwith along with MSAA 

*CobraGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 *CobraGT
Member since 2003 • 15607 Posts
and it's a bit too early for devs to really be finding every trick of the ps3.  Just wait till the second gen of the ps3, devs will find ways to get 1080p AA HDR and 60fps.  just gonna have to wait but it's too early now.  dont even knock sony's hype for 1080p.  I feel sry for anyone who is expecting 1080p games right at the launch of the ps3
*CobraGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 *CobraGT
and mgs4 uses hdr with AA I'm assuming since I didnt see jaggies and ofc it will run 60fps
0perat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 0perat0r
Member since 2005 • 8385 Posts
there are alot of 360 games out now that dont use any HDR :|
*CobraGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 *CobraGT
[QUOTE="0perat0r"]there are alot of 360 games out now that dont use any HDR :|

yet ps3 launch titles will have hdr with AA and run 60fps :|  lemmings shouldnt even try to talk about what's powerful and what's not.  aint it funny how ps3 launch titles looks so good they are mistaken for cgi and 360 launch titles looks so bad they are mistaken for current gen titles?
0perat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 0perat0r
Member since 2005 • 8385 Posts
[QUOTE="cobragt"] [QUOTE="0perat0r"]there are alot of 360 games out now that dont use any HDR :|

yet ps3 launch titles will have hdr with AA and run 60fps :| lemmings shouldnt even try to talk about what's powerful and what's not. aint it funny how ps3 launch titles looks so good they are mistaken for cgi and 360 launch titles looks so bad they are mistaken for current gen titles?

good point :wink:
Avatar image for 207096131449607340109420185522

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 207096131449607340109420185522
Member since 2005 • 4924 Posts
=PHAIL
RimlaFX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 RimlaFX
Member since 2004 • 3180 Posts

PGR3 cant even do 720 resolution and you lemmings got something to say about ps3, you lemmings got some nerve.

lookbehindyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#170 lookbehindyou
Member since 2004 • 1846 Posts
[QUOTE="0perat0r"]there are alot of 360 games out now that dont use any HDR :| cobragt

yet ps3 launch titles will have hdr with AA and run 60fps :|  lemmings shouldnt even try to talk about what's powerful and what's not.  aint it funny how ps3 launch titles looks so good they are mistaken for cgi and 360 launch titles looks so bad they are mistaken for current gen titles?

we have no ps3 in game vidoes to base ANYTHING off of you just are a sony fanboy that believes everything sony feeds you hence the name (cow)
salamisandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#171 salamisandwich
Member since 2004 • 3725 Posts

K now tell us how many of you lemmings actually have 1080p :roll:MonkeyMan8708

Oh great, since HD "quality is all" is out, I guess sheep own you.  Unless the 10% of HDTV users have suddenly exploded to like, 40% overnight.

salamisandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#172 salamisandwich
Member since 2004 • 3725 Posts

[QUOTE="cobragt"] [QUOTE="0perat0r"]there are alot of 360 games out now that dont use any HDR :| lookbehindyou

we have no ps3 in game vidoes to base ANYTHING off of you just are a sony fanboy that believes everything sony feeds you hence the name (cow)

Exactly, how many games look like that bathtub thing.

Everyone was like "OMFG PWN"... Then it kinda turned out to be kinda worse.

Which one will have games with graphics i don't know (having a supercomputer doesn't matter if it only supports RollerCoasterTycoon2, meaning all the hardware in the world doesn't matter if the software can't adapt to it)

Heck the initial Rev titles may look better, noting that the dev kits are very gamecube like, and familier.

lookbehindyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#173 lookbehindyou
Member since 2004 • 1846 Posts

[QUOTE="lookbehindyou"][QUOTE="cobragt"] [QUOTE="0perat0r"]there are alot of 360 games out now that dont use any HDR :| salamisandwich

Exactly, how many games look like that bathtub thing.

Everyone was like "OMFG PWN"... Then it kinda turned out to be kinda worse.

Which one will have games with graphics i don't know (having a supercomputer doesn't matter if it only supports RollerCoasterTycoon2, meaning all the hardware in the world doesn't matter if the software can't adapt to it)

Heck the initial Rev titles may look better, noting that the dev kits are very gamecube like, and familier.

it will all be somewhat close with the ps3 and xbox 360 duking it out for first with every multiplat game
WakkaWakka55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 WakkaWakka55
Member since 2005 • 816 Posts

:lol: HDR8 :lol:

Take a good look at your Heavenly Sword E3 'footage' it will never be close to that, ever again.  Too funny.  :lol:

Red_Cloak

Lol @ this kid for not reading the whole thread and copying and pasting part of it.

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 mikasa
Member since 2003 • 4060 Posts

Marco implemented a cool method to get the same results using INT8. Faster and with MSAA, Winner

kawakev

this is GOOD! you have to be retarded to think this is bad news for the cows...

See the picture posted above.  It ain't the same.  PS3 is too hard to program for so they are taking an easy way out by using the easier to code for lighting.

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 mikasa
[QUOTE="vacaestupida"]

Plain and simple.

El_Indigo

from the dev

a rendering into a FP16 render target with a plain rendering into a RGBA8 render target.

Like Dev would say...we found a way that gives us good results...most people won't notice; however, PS3 just wasn't able to run at FP16 and give us the framerate we needed. 

*IF* PS3 was so powerful and could easily run FP16 the dev would code for it.  He wouldn't need to find a "work-around".  As  dev myself the only reason I find a work-around is because coding the way "you're supposed to" isn't cutting it.  Typically it's because of performance reasons, but it's also because of bugs.

Just ask yourself the logical question.  IF PS3 could run the game in FP16 at 60FPS, why wouldn't dev do this?  They'd be using the native hardware of the system without any software work-arounds to get similar results. 

Now there is one more possible answer...PF16 may be a beotch to code for because PS3 is definitely not dev friendly so they went with a coding technique that is easier to implement on PS3 (and then claimed it's the same as FP16).

McLarenAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 McLarenAK47
Member since 2003 • 14169 Posts
[QUOTE="El_Indigo"][QUOTE="vacaestupida"]

Plain and simple.

mikasa

from the dev

Like Dev would say...we found a way that gives us good results...most people won't notice; however, PS3 just wasn't able to run at FP16 and give us the framerate we needed. 

*IF* PS3 was so powerful and could easily run FP16 the dev would code for it.  He wouldn't need to find a "work-around".  As  dev myself the only reason I find a work-around is because coding the way "you're supposed to" isn't cutting it.  Typically it's because of performance reasons, but it's also because of bugs.

Just ask yourself the logical question.  IF PS3 could run the game in FP16 at 60FPS, why wouldn't dev do this?  They'd be using the native hardware of the system without any software work-arounds to get similar results. 

Now there is one more possible answer...PF16 may be a beotch to code for because PS3 is definitely not dev friendly so they went with a coding technique that is easier to implement on PS3 (and then claimed it's the same as FP16).

tell me what company do u work for??

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="El_Indigo"][QUOTE="vacaestupida"]

Plain and simple.

McLarenAK47

from the dev

As soon as you post your mailing address, phone number and Social Security #.

Like you'd believe what company I said I worked for anyway.  But instead of challenging what company I work for, why not discuss what I posted?  You know for a fact, no big business developer is going to say our dev skills suck.  Or the system we chose to develop for isn't living up to expectations. 

It may be that the developers suck monkey balls, but that's doubtful if they are finding "creative" ways to make FP16 HDR without using FP16.  I wonder what NVIDIA and ATI would say about this technique.  My bet is they'd say FP16 HDR can only be achieved by using their hardware API calls.  Using lower bit versions and then doing some funky math can make the lower bit version look better but it won't equal FP16 HDR.

Deeetroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Deeetroy
Member since 2005 • 909 Posts
"Red Cloak (the poster in that gamespot link) has a history of posting things like that on many different forums. You'd think he was on MS' payroll for the amount of FUD he spreads. It's almost amazing... What's worse is he doesn't seem to understand anything, even when told/shown (with proof) straight out what he says is BS he still goes on his merry way and continues to spread it." http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=648443#post648443 PWNED!!!!!!
Lefein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#180 Lefein
Member since 2005 • 1258 Posts
Learn to read.  Xenos has a huge frame buffer and can afford high quality lighting AND antialiasing.

PS3 HAS NO 10 MB OF EDRAM.  Period, that means crap lighting and crap AA.

Red_Cloak

'tard... 'nuff said.  This thread was a hopeless debate about Lemmings and their "technology"  See you at CES, suckers.

Iron-Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#181 Iron-Dragon
Member since 2004 • 12461 Posts

Damage control out the wazoo...

McLarenAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 McLarenAK47
[QUOTE="McLarenAK47"][QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="El_Indigo"][QUOTE="vacaestupida"]

Plain and simple.

mikasa

from the dev

Like you'd believe what company I said I worked for anyway.  But instead of challenging what company I work for, why not discuss what I posted?  You know for a fact, no big business developer is going to say our dev skills suck.  Or the system we chose to develop for isn't living up to expectations. 

It may be that the developers suck monkey balls, but that's doubtful if they are finding "creative" ways to make FP16 HDR without using FP16.  I wonder what NVIDIA and ATI would say about this technique.  My bet is they'd say FP16 HDR can only be achieved by using their hardware API calls.  Using lower bit versions and then doing some funky math can make the lower bit version look better but it won't equal FP16 HDR.

u are fool of crap.

humkdunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 humkdunk
Member since 2004 • 2474 Posts

For more info on the Cell disaster....

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24055475

:lol: Poor Cows :lol:

Red_Cloak

haha TCHBO where are you cows now??? huh, time to go back into the hibernation spot you guys used during the gta lcs ownage.

Avatar image for ViolentPressure
ViolentPressure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 ViolentPressure
Member since 2005 • 5521 Posts
[QUOTE="blackbeltdaniel"]

[QUOTE="AcidRonen"]what a waste of hardwareAcidRonen

Great General Patton quote in your sig.

thanks

I did not know General Patton was illiterate.

ps2_rocks234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 ps2_rocks234
Member since 2005 • 1166 Posts
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="McLarenAK47"][QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="El_Indigo"][QUOTE="vacaestupida"]

Plain and simple.

McLarenAK47

from the dev

u are fool of crap.

YEA he is, i mean seriously this guy is trying to argue with a DEV. of a game. when doesnt KNOW anything about the true hardware of ps3. lol next he will say that ps3 is hard to dev for ,and then try to argue with the dev
ps2_rocks234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 ps2_rocks234
BTW the dev never said he had a frame rate problem neither did he say that the ps3 coudlnt handle it. ALL he said was that THEY dint WANT to use too much MEMORY on something when the exact SAME resulst could be acheived with the a diffeerent technique whcih ueses LESS memory. AKA more effiecient
hd28guy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 hd28guy_basic
Member since 2002 • 19953 Posts

i told the cows...

...but they NEVER listen...

..cows.. keeping the dream alive..:lol:

DarkFlippidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#188 DarkFlippidy
Member since 2005 • 2550 Posts
[QUOTE="McLarenAK47"][QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="McLarenAK47"][QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="El_Indigo"][QUOTE="vacaestupida"]

Plain and simple.

ps2_rocks234

from the dev

u are fool of crap.

YEA he is, i mean seriously this guy is trying to argue with a DEV. of a game. when doesnt KNOW anything about the true hardware of ps3. lol next he will say that ps3 is hard to dev for ,and then try to argue with the dev

that red coat guy or w/e his name is, is a true fanboy.  no matter what he does wrong or how much he gets owned by his own material, he still denies it.  that is a true fanboy. 

McLarenAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 McLarenAK47

i told the cows...

hd28guy_basic

there;s something in ur cranium that seems to be dead, mind telling me what it is??

Mil-m5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Mil-m5
Member since 2005 • 3354 Posts
Lmao at the lemmings that still post in this thread and own themselves instantly.
ps2_rocks234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 ps2_rocks234
[QUOTE="hd28guy_basic"]

i told the cows...

McLarenAK47

there;s something in ur cranium that seems to be dead, mind telling me what it is??

dont bother with him he is H28guy_basic. NOT even the lemmings respect him, lol even lemmings think he is a disgrace so u know he is worst filth ever to step on these forums, and iam just speaking whats on everybody's mind. TELL one pne person that respects this idiot
Avatar image for SavageBananaMan
SavageBananaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 SavageBananaMan
Member since 2005 • 1756 Posts
TCHBO
El_Indigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 El_Indigo

TCHBOSavageBananaMan

did you even read through the   thread ?

ps2_rocks234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 ps2_rocks234
TCHBOSavageBananaMan
are u just living under a rock or are u a retard? seriously it was PROVEN like two days ago, BY a DEV , that this is not because of THE HARDWARE, its because they want MORE memory to do something else then waste it on improved resolution
_Spock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 _Spock_
Member since 2003 • 4267 Posts
heh no surprise! you're next gen consoles aren't a "godsend" like you guys make them out to be!
El_Indigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 El_Indigo

heh no surprise! you're next gen consoles aren't a "godsend" like you guys make them out to be! _Spock_

did you read read throught the whole thread ?  this guy got owned by   a dev   who regesterd here and set him straight 

A2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 A2D
Member since 2005 • 4658 Posts
Okay, I skipped every post but can someone please show me the downside? If this change provides a similar quality level and gives MSAA (Which is FAR better than Normal AA) @ 60fps, what is there to complain about? And if this person really is who he claims to be, what is the deal about the 1080p? If the developer can't get hold of a 1080p TV, what's the chances you will? Anyway, I just hope HS plays as good as it looks...
ps2_rocks234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 ps2_rocks234
i say this thread gives ppl WRONG impression, LOCK this thread
_Spock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 _Spock_
Member since 2003 • 4267 Posts

[QUOTE="_Spock_"]heh no surprise! you're next gen consoles aren't a "godsend" like you guys make them out to be! El_Indigo

did you read read throught the whole thread ? this guy got owned by a dev who regesterd here and set him straight

I'm not going to spend the time reading 11 pages of guys flaming each other.. but even the 7800GTX that powers the ps3 is going to be brought to its knees throwing that FP16 HDR everywhere

El_Indigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 El_Indigo
[QUOTE="El_Indigo"]

[QUOTE="_Spock_"]heh no surprise! you're next gen consoles aren't a "godsend" like you guys make them out to be! _Spock_

did you read read throught the whole thread ? this guy got owned by a dev who regesterd here and set him straight

I'm not going to spend the time reading 11 pages of guys flaming each other.. but even the 7800GTX that powers the ps3 is going to be brought to its knees throwing that FP16 HDR everywhere

from the dev himself 

First off: FP16 HDR runs perfectly fine, we render everything in RGB Colourspace into a FP16 buffer. Then run a tonemapping algo to bring in down to LDR for display on a monitor/tv. The 'normal' way of HDR. Its all runs at the speed you would expect and it quite playable.

But RGB space is **** for lighting calculations, its simple the wrong place. Why? Originally RGB colour space was defined on the range [0,1] for each channel. With a 1 being the most strongest pure colour *POSSIBLE* in that channel. So RGB<0,1,0> is the most purest green possible. RGB was designed (long long time ago) as an absolute colour space. But even a trivial look tells you as you move to simple HDR (allow values above 1) its a vast waste of space. What exactly does the colour RGB<0,1000,0> mean? Something that 1000x purest green?

The reason is because you haven't sepereated hue (colour) from lumonsity. When we talk about HDR we not talking about more colour range but more lumonsity. So we change the colour space to one where lumonsity can go very high but the colour range just keeps the same range as before.

So what we do (Marco will have to give the details) is at the end of each pixel shader tap on a RGB->ColourSpace converter (its about 5 instructions I think). This colour space is much more quantizable, so it looks virtually the same packing it into an INT8 versus a RGB FP16 framebuffer. We still have the same range of lumonsity as FP16, still have the same colour fidelity but we just save bandwidth (and other things) by using a few shader instructions. Its also handy when it comes to tonemapping, as that involves calculating the scenes lumonsity.

Its got nothing to do with the current speed of FP16 rendering, its because we worked out how to do HDR better. FP16 rendering is slower on ALL hardware versus INT8 rendering (more memory access and having to process floats).
Its clever software beating hardware, you'd probably want to use this on PC, X360 (its much better then FP10), PS3, Rev etc. Its simple a better HDR method... Its beats FP16 HDR in almost all cases, so as I've said why wouldn't you use it?

Ironincally for the X360 ******s its even more relevant on X360... X360 sucks at FP16 HDR, particular because of the tiling (64 bit framebuffers use twice as many tiles). Swap to our colour space and the X360 gets FP16 HDR quality without the lose in speed it suffers from if you use real FP16 HDR.

So just to reiterate (in condensed form for cut and pasted on various forums...)
We DON'T use ARGB8 HDR we use a custom colour space HDR that has the quality of FP16 HDR but takes half the space. This is a win on every platform in the world and nothing to do with PS3 capability.