HaloA cant possibly be hyped AAA can it?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22686 Posts

Ive been reading some recent threads with posts saying HaloA will score AA and flop and I kinda cant stop scratching my head to be honest...

I am not a Halo fan by any stretch though I love my X360. I just never got into any Halo games after CE. As much as I recognize HaloCE for being a ground breaking console game and certainly influential over all shooters that have come after it, I find it hard to believe that even the most hardcore Halo fan is gonna hype this game to be AAA.

• Its 10 years old
  • Its what appears to be a faithfull recreation of the original with online functionality and a new coat of paint.

Wouldnt it be a fairly large disservice to the current state of gaming and the progressive nature at which games are judged/reviewed through a generation to be placed (especially on gamespot) in AAA status 10 years after its release?

I personally may get the game, though its not really on my must have radar, but I cant help but to think this game is either being overestemated by Lems, or our friendly cows are sneaking in their false hype to set up their lulz when it doesnt reach AAA status on GS.

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
Meh i have mixed thoughts... On one hand it's my favourite game of all time... On the other i do realise it has its faults.... I'm guessing AA or A simply because it's 10 years old.
Kan0nF0dder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kan0nF0dder
Member since 2009 • 1962 Posts

In before all the people clouded by nostalgia come in saying the game is near perfect. IMO The campaign was a little dull, used to love the multiplayer.

It's still the best Halo game ever made.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
After ODST scored AAA, anything is possible. From a single player perspective, it's still the best Halo game by far, so if the other games are AAA, I would score it AAA even by today's standards.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheEroica  Moderator
After ODST scored AAA, anything is possible. From a single player perspective, it's still the best Halo game by far, so if the other games are AAA, I would score it AAA even by today's standards.PurpleMan5000
It may still be a AAA campaign and I recognize that, I just think when all the nuts and bolts are laid out, no reviewer on Gamespot especially will give it AAA. Im most excited to get into some blood gulch to be honest. I still love that map.
walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts

In before all the people clouded by nostalgia come in saying the game is near perfect. IMO The campaign was a little dull, used to love the multiplayer.

Kan0nF0dder

Shhh i rekon i have at least beat the campaign 20+ times :P

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Be interesting if it does score a 9 especially since Ocarina of Time 3D got an 8.5 and they're basically similar remakes.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

Upgraded sp of a AAA game from 10 years and the entire mp component(right?) to a AAA game from last year for $40.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2067 Posts
it's hard to say on one hand its the title that pretty much established the xbox on the other hand its 10 years old, personally i'm looking forward to playing the silent cartographer, Halo, hell even the library should be fun with 4 players. AOTCR should be a blast christ that game had some memorable levels.
Kan0nF0dder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kan0nF0dder
Member since 2009 • 1962 Posts

[QUOTE="Kan0nF0dder"]

walkingdream

Shhh i rekon i have at least beat the campaign 20+ times :P

To be fair I beat it twice, so clearly I didn't think it was bad. I guess I was comparing it to Half-Life in my head at the time.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator
Be interesting if it does score a 9 especially since Ocarina of Time 3D got an 8.5 and they're basically similar remakes.bobbetybob
Thats a little of what I was thinking, not that Id dare compare the two games in what they offer because they couldnt be more different... Their legacy is similar though and seeing one of the "greatest games of all time" get the make over treatment and still score an 8.5 kinda rings a bell as to how these HD upgrades/remakes are looked at in the review world. They dont care about nostalgia or anything that came before or after the game, they review the game itself as it stands against whats currantly on the market. period. Personally I see HaloA at an 8.5 and a nice bit of fan service for those who love the franchise as well as those who want to jump in to see how it all started... I dont think i could hype it AAA.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PurpleMan5000
[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]Be interesting if it does score a 9 especially since Ocarina of Time 3D got an 8.5 and they're basically similar remakes.TheEroica
Thats a little of what I was thinking, not that Id dare compare the two games in what they offer because they couldnt be more different... Their legacy is similar though and seeing one of the "greatest games of all time" get the make over treatment and still score an 8.5 kinda rings a bell as to how these HD upgrades/remakes are looked at in the review world. They dont care about nostalgia or anything that came before or after the game, they review the game itself as it stands against whats currantly on the market. period. Personally I see HaloA at an 8.5 and a nice bit of fan service for those who love the franchise as well as those who want to jump in to see how it all started... I dont think i could hype it AAA.

It just depends on who reviews it, really. OoT's remake has a metacritic score of 9.5, so it's very likely that Gamespot has some reviewers who would have scored it AAA.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
The way I see it, it'll score the same as OoT remake. I'm talking about here of course.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Halo has the best gameplay of any shooter, so why not AAA ?

The best shooter ever can be AAA i guess

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="bobbetybob"]Be interesting if it does score a 9 especially since Ocarina of Time 3D got an 8.5 and they're basically similar remakes.PurpleMan5000

It just depends on who reviews it, really. OoT's remake has a metacritic score of 9.5, so it's very likely that Gamespot has some reviewers who would have scored it AAA.

Oh I absolutly see the same think happening here. 9 plus on meta and an 8.5 here. Theres a lot of review outlets that will give it AAA, I just dont think gamespot will be one of them. They seem to hold things to different standards.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
I think the Terminal's may be enough to push it to AAA status - if they're as good as the teaser made me hope. 8.5 or 9.0
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

Kan0nF0dder

Nostalgia or not...HALO CE IS the 1st console FPS to get EVERYTHING SPOT ON. AND still plays just as well today, as it did 10 years ago. I mean, if people still hype Golden Eye for N64 OR Counterstrike for PC after these many years..whats to say HALO is hype worthy? Every FPS you play today is because of HALO CE..AND yes...HALO CE IS my favorite Halo out of the series and about the only FPS I will remember 20 years from now.

The only other FPS I would even put in HALO's league is COD2 "for consoles"....

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

The Legend of Zelda: OoT always seems to get near AAA scores whenever it's rereleased, and it never has any major graphical updates.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PurpleMan5000

The Legend of Zelda: OoT always seems to get near AAA scores whenever it's rereleased, and it never has any major graphical updates.

TSNAKE617
The 3DS one did.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

Upgraded sp of a AAA game from 10 years and the entire mp component(right?) to a AAA game from last year for $40.

MFDOOM1983

The MP component, as far as I'm aware, is similar to what ODST offered in that you get some downloadable content but you still have to use Reach's disc to access the MP.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I doubt it. I'm gonna pick it up though as I haven't played the original.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

Basinboy

The MP component, as far as I'm aware, is similar to what ODST offered in that you get some downloadable content but you still have to use Reach's disc to access the MP.

I dont have reach nor will i be purchasing reach... so no mp for me?
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Mixed feeling, but I will say Halo CE is the only Halo game that I actually enjoyed, perhaps because it's single player campaign was more than justa cover up for the online multiplayer milkage of the other titles requireing people to pay for XBL in order to enjoy the experience.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="Basinboy"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

TheEroica

I dont have reach nor will i be purchasing reach... so no mp for me?

He is wrong. In ODST you didn't need Halo 3, you got a separate disc with FULL MP and all the maps (no need to download). In CE Anniversary you will NOT get FULL MP of Reach, but you will get MP with 7 new maps, and you won't need Reach to play.
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 casharmy

I doubt it. I'm gonna pick it up though as I haven't played the original.SaltyMeatballs

WOW WOW WOW, lol how can you be a give fan of MS and xbox360 and you've never played the original Halo? Not bashing you, that's just really surprising.

If you've never played it then it's a MUST buy for you even maybe over Gears 3. It honestly had one of the best campaigns for a shooter I have ever played.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaltyMeatballs

Here is a link:

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/foconnor_haloanniversary_qa.html

HBO: What's in the package for $40? One disc, or two? Are multiplayer and campaign separated like ODST, or are both on one disc, allowing switching in a lobby instead of swapping discs? The Reach DLC is not included - but are the original Reach multiplayer maps? If the only Halo game you owned was Halo: Anniversary, what could you play, exactly?

343i:This will be one retail disc, 39.99, everything launches out of one menu. It's kind of like a one-disc ODST - obviously it doesn't have the other DLC, because most people who buy this are going to have Reach already.

It just has the 7 new maps - Reach's original multiplayer maps are not included.

If you just have Reach, and you don't want to play this, we will make these available for separate purchase eventually.
We're not saying how long 'eventually' is right now, but it's not an amount of time that will upset anyone.

There will be a playlist for just these maps. Reach players will be able to directly play seamlessly in that playlist, and those maps will also be integrated into other playlists. We'll try and make a very central place to play just these maps, so there'll be a good population, but eventually they'll end up in all lists. We're going to do significant stuff with matchmaking playlists to make sure that these are respectful of original system link-type games. You know how there's a cIassic playlist right now? Imagine that, but plus-plus, and some other stuff we can't talk about right now.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SaltyMeatballs

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]I doubt it. I'm gonna pick it up though as I haven't played the original.casharmy

WOW WOW WOW, lol how can you be a give fan of MS and xbox360 and you've never played the original Halo? Not bashing you, that's just really surprising.

If you've never played it then it's a MUST buy for you even maybe over Gears 3. It honestly had one of the best campaigns for a shooter I have ever played.

I didn't have Xbox last gen, got a 360 this gen, played Halo 3, ODST, and Reach... calm down, man.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50563 Posts

They got ODST AAA status here, I'll be surprised if this remake doesn't score the same.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 casharmy

One thing I'm confused about are the standard split screen OFF-LINE multiplayer maps from the original halo CE still avalible?

I keep hearing comfusing thing that makes me not sure,It's one thing that really has me questioning if it will be worth picking up thisgame again. I didn't buy Reach so I don't konw anything about it's MP, but I do remember the original Halo MP maps to be great. If they've cut that to make it only online MP maps from Reach, I will probablypass on it all together--I hate forced milkage.

Dose anybody know for sure?

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SaltyMeatballs

They got ODST AAA status here, I'll be surprised if this remake doesn't score the same.

Chutebox
I don't get it. ODST was great. Good campaign albeit short (and took a different direction to the previous games), Firefight mode was awesome, full Halo 3 MP with new maps.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SaltyMeatballs

One thing I'm confused about are the standard split screen OFF-LINE multiplayer maps from the original halo CE still avalible?

I keep hearing comfusing thing that makes me not sure, This is one thing thatreally has me questioning if it will be worth picking this game up again. I didn't buy Reach so I don't konw anything about it's MP, but I do remember the original HaloMP maps to be great. If they've cut that to make it only online MP maps from Reach, I will probablypass on it all together--I hate forced milkage.

casharmy
Reach has split screen MP so I don't see why not. IDK what the maps are though.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Chutebox  Online
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

SaltyMeatballs
I don't get it. ODST was great. Good campaign albeit short (and took a different direction to the previous games), Firefight mode was awesome, full Halo 3 MP with new maps.

Half of the package was old and they sold it at full price.
catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

I keep hearing comfusing thing that makes me not sure,It's one thing that really has me questioning if it will be worth picking up thisgame again. I didn't buy Reach so I don't konw anything about it's MP, but I do remember the original Halo MP maps to be great. If they've cut that to make it only online MP maps from Reach, I will probablypass on it all together--I hate forced milkage.

casharmy

There will be 6 maps from across the Halo universe remade with the Reach engine (an additional 7th map will be a Firefight map).

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Chutebox

It wasn't half the package, and it came with new maps. And price was crappy but when does that come into GS reviews? GS said 6 hours of Vanquish is 9.0 which to is crappy value no matter how good the game is.
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 casharmy

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]I doubt it. I'm gonna pick it up though as I haven't played the original.SaltyMeatballs

I didn't have Xbox last gen, got a 360 this gen, played Halo 3, ODST, and Reach... calm down, man.

There is nothing to be calm about, everything isn't a fanboy deal with me ya, know?

I was just commenting because I know you're a big 360 supporter, no fuss...try to loosen up a bit, it shouldn't be so hard for you to take a chummy comment from another gamer without a reply like "calm down".

1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 1stPlaceWinner
Member since 2010 • 1120 Posts
Ive been seeing it hyped as the best remake some even saying its better than ps3 exclusives this fall, so up has to be AAA
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chutebox  Online
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"] I don't get it. ODST was great. Good campaign albeit short (and took a different direction to the previous games), Firefight mode was awesome, full Halo 3 MP with new maps.

It wasn't half the package, and it came with new maps. And price was crappy but when does that come into GS reviews? GS said 6 hours of Vanquish is 9.0 which to is crappy value no matter how good the game is.

Value does come into play. If someone already had halo 3 they didn't get too much from a $60 package. Not saying they're wrong or anything, I just think they really like halo here. Nothing wrong with it.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Why not? God of War collection has a 91 metacrtic, Sly collection has 87 metacrtic. But those weren't reviewed here of course. Watch Gamespot review Halo and give it AAA. :roll:

If it's reviewed as long as 343 industries doesn't screw it up, it should probably get a 80% of 90% on metacritic. On gamespot, with the way they've been reviewing games lately, it would show an incredible amount of bias for gamespot to both review the game AND give it AAA. They haven't been giving alot of 9.0's lately, so by that standard it should probably get 8.5 or 8.0. However if looking at metacritic I would expect between 85-90, and it could easily be AAA on metacrtic

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chutebox  Online
Ive been seeing it hyped as the best remake some even saying its better than ps3 exclusives this fall, so up has to be AAA1stPlaceWinner
some don't decide the hype, majority do. Without a hype thread there is no hype.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SaltyMeatballs

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="casharmy"]

casharmy

There is nothing to be calm about, everything isn't a fanboy deal with me ya, know?

I was just commenting because I know you're a big 360 supporter, no fuss...try to loosen up a bit, it shouldn't beso hard for you to take a chummy comment from another gamer with a reply like "calm down".

I said calm down because of all the WOW's, I thought you over reacted. Why do you think I am a 360 supporter? I like all the systems I own.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I personally think the Shadow of the Colossus remake will be better >.>
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PurpleMan5000
I personally think the Shadow of the Colossus remake will be better >.>mrmusicman247
Yeah, it's going to be great to finally be able to run that game with a stable framerate.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SaltyMeatballs
When Zelda remake doesn't get AAA no remake will. :P
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PurpleMan5000
I really don't see what the point of reviewing these remakes is, anyway. There is already a review of the game on Gamespot. The new game will be exactly the same with better graphics and the online copy/pasted from Halo Reach.
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 casharmy

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

catfishmoon23

There will be 6 maps from across the Halo universe remade with the Reach engine (an additional 7th map will be a Firefight map).

specifically I was talking about the off-line MP componet as it is not clear how they will handle that.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

[QUOTE="catfishmoon23"]

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

casharmy

specifically I was talking about the off-line MP componet as it is not clear how they will handle that.

There will be no offline multiplayer with original maps/engine. Just offline/online multiplayer with the new maps/reach engine.

planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 planbfreak4eva
Member since 2006 • 2856 Posts

Ive been reading some recent threads with posts saying HaloA will score AA and flop and I kinda cant stop scratching my head to be honest...

I am not a Halo fan by any stretch though I love my X360. I just never got into any Halo games after CE. As much as I recognize HaloCE for being a ground breaking console game and certainly influential over all shooters that have come after it, I find it hard to believe that even the most hardcore Halo fan is gonna hype this game to be AAA.

• Its 10 years old
  • Its what appears to be a faithfull recreation of the original with online functionality and a new coat of paint.

Wouldnt it be a fairly large disservice to the current state of gaming and the progressive nature at which games are judged/reviewed through a generation to be placed (especially on gamespot) in AAA status 10 years after its release?

I personally may get the game, though its not really on my must have radar, but I cant help but to think this game is either being overestemated by Lems, or our friendly cows are sneaking in their false hype to set up their lulz when it doesnt reach AAA status on GS.

TheEroica
i dont think it will get a rating since god of war collection never did..but if does get reviewd then gow collection should also be and get a 9 aswell..if it happens
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I replay CE every other year or so on PC, and it's still better than the vast majority of other modern day shooters on the market. A new coat of paint and co-op play only improves matters. Hell, it may be AAAA material.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

• Its 10 years old

planbfreak4eva
i dont think it will get a rating since god of war collection never did..but if does get reviewd then gow collection should also be and get a 9 aswell..if it happens

They may review Halo CEA because they actually changed stuff in it.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

• Its 10 years old

planbfreak4eva

The God of War collection didn't receive nearly the amount of graphical upgrades that Halo is getting, though.