Graphics and online killing our games???

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

forza420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 forza420
Member since 2010 • 1225 Posts
[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="mitu123"] Damn, that sucks, I also have a Sega Master Sysem, Super NES, N64, PS1, etc.

I'm so retro.:P

I love old games :P man I remember how I would laugh with my friends while playing goldeneye, good times good times. and you have any idea of the possible specs for a genesis adaptor?

Get one here.

Goldeneye was my 1st FPS and my friends invite me over to play it. Man I loved those times.:P

indeed goldeneye was a blast to play with friends and family. even my father-in-law loved it and he doesnt even play videogames. it just could not get any better than that IMO.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#102 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

remember the old PC's, which had a turbo button, and when you turn them off you had to wait until it said "you may now turn off your CPU" well I had one of those, and believe it or not, when you clicked on "shut off" the computer would actually launch an space invader-like game and would allow you to play it as you waited for the computer to tell you that you could turn your CPU off. that was really a gamer PC xplightleggy

When you clicked shut off? Lol, now I feel old because I remember when I first got my PC with two floppy drives!!! That meant I could leave an OS disk in one and put my application disc in the second. No more playing around with memory, loading the OS to memory then hoping I had enough leftover to play the game. Don't get me started on when I got my first HDD or extended memory, phew those were the days. ... himem.sys I remember you well. I still remember Kings Quest 1 fondly... although I wonder if I'd enjoy it again now...

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

the only reason i think online multiplayer is ruining gaming is that it always gets more content than single player

halo 3 and the modern warfare's all suffered in the campaign mode since they gave more emphasis on multi than the single player,

i mean they only last maybe less than 10 hours:x

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#104 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
[QUOTE="mlbslugger86"]

the only reason i think online multiplayer is ruining gaming is that it always gets more content than single player

halo 3 and the modern warfare's all suffered in the campaign mode since they gave more emphasis on multi than the single player,

Yes but I spent over 300 hours on COD4, give me a SP that entertained me for that long.
Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

I got my PS3 this year. My wife wanted one, I didn't- for the same reason the OP thinks games are starting to suck. While for the most part I'm happy I can't help but agree with him. I worked in video stores pretty much my entire high school and college career. I remember old timers coming in to watch movies on VHS they hadn't seen in 50 years. I got an earful about how much modern movies sucked (paraphrasing), that they were trash with no substance. Even today I'm looking at the endless Matrix inspired crap and effects driven comicbook movies and I shake my head. The truth is there will never be another Blade Runner, there will never be another Citizen Kane, and there will never be another Legend of Zelda. For us. For all we know, Fallout 3 is some young gamer's Legend of Zelda.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Yes but I spent over 300 hours on COD4, give me a SP that entertained me for that long.gamebreakerz__

This right here is the reason for this thread. Put simply, SP games don't get the amount of play online ones do anymore.

If you're a developer and your putting time and money into a game, will you focus on the aspects that will make people play it for hundreds of hours or on the aspect that people will play for 30 or so and then possibly never again?

For those of us old enough to remember gaming mags always used to have a scoring bracket for replayability. A big part of getting your money's worth out of a game was the amount of game time you get playing it. Developers today have the online option which means that people can get more "value" from their purchase if there is a decent online multiplayer component.

The longer people play your game, the more exposure you get. Higher exposure = more sales. What's the reason businesses are in business? To make money.

Back onto the topic thhough. I don't believe this is adversely affecting gaming, if anything it's helping it. Sure there's a lot more crap out there and games like Bioshock are tacking on components merely for the sake of having MP but this will all pass and the ones that do it well will emerge stronger. Video gaming is a booming industry right now and all industries with this kind of growth have to go thru periods like this. There's still a bunch of great games out there (both SP and MP), there's just a lot more to choose from. Don't blame the specifics, do more research when making your purchases. Back in the day there was just as much rubbish but we were probably more selective in what we bought.

Also for those that say video gaming isn't as good as it used to be, movies aren't as good asthey used to be, music isn't as good as it used to be, TV shows aren't as good as they used to be.... that's the first sign that you're getting old and fixed in your ways. :)

Every generation is different and every generation has it's pros and cons. In ten years or so people will be complaining that the games young people are playing in 2020 aren't a patch on what was around in 2010.

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

This thread gives me hope again (first time being that famous 97:3 poll), seeing that the core gaming crowd still wants core single player experiences, that there's still a target audience. My 3 favorite games this gen would have to be Mass Effect 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Demon's Souls. Two are purely single player (well SMG2 has a tacked on co-op that is pretty creative but doesn't detract from the single player at all), while one did something I like with multiplayer. Demon's Souls shows a neat way to incorporate innovative multiplayer ideas with great core single player experiences. I'd like to see more multiplayer games do this instead of just creating shooting arenas and tacking on a cheap campaign to keep fans happy.

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts
[QUOTE="gamebreakerz__"][QUOTE="mlbslugger86"]

Yes but I spent over 300 hours on COD4, give me a SP that entertained me for that long.

Demon's Souls has entertained people for 300 hours, me for around 150. Legend of Zelda has done that for me, I have around 300 hours logged on a few. You do kinda represent what I hate about gamers these days so don't be surprised if I lash out at you in the future :P.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#109 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

mlbslugger86
actually 10 hours has always been a lot for an FPS call of duty is always 4 hours long or so... half life 2 is like 12 hours, and half life 1 was like 20 O.O
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#110 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

How about an "i like a balance between all" option?