Graphics and online killing our games???

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

My brother mentioned this yesterday...and I have been thinking about it...I think its true.

Think about it...most of the games that have been released recently either suck at gameplay or story, every day, the devs put more and more effort in giving us better graphics and improving the multiplayer...but what about the single player? what about the story? what about the game lenght?

Take a look at PS2/Xbox/gamecube games.

most of them would last over 10 hours or so, 12 hours was pretty much the standard for any PS2 game,

now on PS3, almost every game can be completed in 6 hours at least.

in my opinion, the devs focus so much on improving the graphics, adding physics and making a better multiplayer, that when they realize they have almost used all the space in those things so when it comes to designing the single player, they can only use a small percentage of space, resulting in shorter games with little to no changes/improvements in the gameplay.

For example, I recently got GoW3 and I thought it was a cool game, but I felt extremely dissapointed, it was not half as long as GoW2 and it was not as epic as the previous installments, it had very few "WOW" moments and, tbh, the story sucked, and the final boss fight was extremely easy.

I think that SMs were just thinking about how to improve the graphics and not the main game...and its almost the same in every game nowadays...take a look at it, games like call of duty which have an extremely short campaign that finishes in a flash, and all because the devs feel lazy after having worked so long in the graphics and multiplayer of the game.

even EA (I think that EA is a very stupid company imo) said that "the future of gaming is not in single player experience, but multiplayer, in the future we will focus more in online mode for our games"

even MGS4...I think that it has the least gameplay in the saga after MGS, I think that is 5 hours of gameplay and 15 hours of cutscenes if im not wrong...that is just sad!

so what happened to those old ps2, xbox, gamecube games? what happened to the long games that lasted over 20 hours like kingdom hearts, GTA, final fantasy (even final fantasy 13 failed this generation, if im not wrong FF13 can be completed in 8 hours)

what do you think about it...do you think that games should still compete to be graphics king? (the saddest part is that they cant take the crown away from crysis yet...) or give us the great gameplay we had once?

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

1.) To some extent

2.) Your playing the wrong games

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lightleggy

1.) To some extent

Yangire
Metal gear solid 4, uncharted 1 and 2, killzone 2, GTAIV, call of duty, stalker are those "the wrong games"? then which are the "right ones"
gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
For some games like FPS I would prefer an online to a SP and graphics don't bother me but games like RPGs are best for SP and need great graphics (exept MMORPGs).
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Different devs should give us different things.
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Yangire

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

1.) To some extent

lightleggy

Metal gear solid 4, uncharted 1 and 2, killzone 2, GTAIV, call of duty, stalker are those "the wrong games"? then which are the "right ones"

If you want long games I suggest playing RPGs, if you want short games continue creating rants about the games that your playing.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Graphics are killing the developers :P,games are so expensive to develop today

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lightleggy
For some games like FPS I would prefer an online to a SP and graphics don't bother me but games like RPGs are best for SP and need great graphics (exept MMORPGs).gamebreakerz__
No offense man (or girl, I dont know) but I sometimes feel sad for people who think like that :S Like my cousins, they bought COD4 and they never finished the SP, and with MW2 they have not played the SP, not like they only play it for 2 minutes, they literally have not accesed the SP and spec ops menu. and I dont get it...you are paying 60 dollars to get the the SP, the co-op and the online, so why not to take advantage of those 3 features and you know...use all of them instead of just one?
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

1.) To some extent

lightleggy

Hmm I see a trend here...

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="Yangire"]

1.) To some extent

Yangire

If you want long games I suggest playing RPGs, if you want short games continue creating rants about the games that your playing.

RPG's has always been long, but even in this gen that is beginning to change, I already said it, FF13, part of the FF saga, probably the most famous saga in the RPG world, having games which usually last 20 hours+, has now joined the "lets last 8 hours" bandwagon. and the games I play, used to be longer in the last gen...GTA sa was one of the longest games I played on PS2, and God of war 2, while not the longest, it was surely long, nothing compared to gow3
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't see anything wrong. Just about everyone who gamed in the previous generation think the current generation has less substance. That held true for the PS2/X-Box/GC days. Even then, there were people who said the games of that generation didn't compare to the previous generation before that one and so on. I just take whatever's out and enjoy.

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamebreakerz__
[QUOTE="gamebreakerz__"]For some games like FPS I would prefer an online to a SP and graphics don't bother me but games like RPGs are best for SP and need great graphics (exept MMORPGs).lightleggy
No offense man (or girl, I dont know) but I sometimes feel sad for people who think like that :S Like my cousins, they bought COD4 and they never finished the SP, and with MW2 they have not played the SP, not like they only play it for 2 minutes, they literally have not accesed the SP and spec ops menu. and I dont get it...you are paying 60 dollars to get the the SP, the co-op and the online, so why not to take advantage of those 3 features and you know...use all of them instead of just one?

First off, I played the Spec ops and SP of MW2 then wanted to slit my wrists at how bad the MP was but with games like BC2 that have great multiplayer and a pretty bland SP I get far more enjoyment out of the MP. I always play the SP before MP but sometimes don't finish the SP part depending on how good it is.
felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

I don't see the problem with better graphics and physics.

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gamebreakerz__

Metal gear solid 4, uncharted 1 and 2, killzone 2, GTAIV, call of duty, stalker are those "the wrong games"? then which are the "right ones"lightleggy

RPG's has always been long, but even in this gen that is beginning to change, I already said it, FF13, part of the FF saga, probably the most famous saga in the RPG world, having games which usually last 20 hours+, has now joined the "lets last 8 hours" bandwagon. and the games I play, used to be longer in the last gen...GTA sa was one of the longest games I played on PS2, and God of war 2, while not the longest, it was surely long, nothing compared to gow3

OMFG did you just claim FF13 was 8 hours long?!?! It took me 42 hours to do the story, not to mention the numerous side missions, you obviously haven't played it,
dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts
Online is fine if it's good. If every time you die it's because it's your fault, not the games fault, and if the game is balanced/skill based it's great fun. Tacked-on multiplayer needs to die though. If you're not focusing on a proper, supported online service like in Battlefield/COD then just make a longer single player game.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

1.) To some extent

Yangire

Unless you play Fable 2. :P That was very short and it was filled with useless fluff that attempted to make it longer but just got boring.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

I'm with post #2. You must be playing the wrong games.

Look at games like Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3, Bioshock, Fable 2, Mass Effect, Ratchet & Clank. Hannah Montanna (jk)... sure some of these games can be sped through and completed in under 10 hours but they offer much more than that. Be it the extra contect found by exploring (Fallout 3, ME, RDR) or the alternate modes included with the package (RDR, Uncharteds, most FPS games). In most AAA titles there isa mountain of content.

Don't forget that even older games like Mario could be completed very quickly if you knew where the feathers/secret roms were and wanted to speed thru.

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamebreakerz__
Online is fine if it's good. If every time you die it's because it's your fault, not the games fault, and if the game is balanced/skill based it's great fun. Tacked-on multiplayer needs to die though. If you're not focusing on a proper, supported online service like in Battlefield/COD then just make a longer single player game.dkjestrup
If you die in MW2, 90% of the time it's not your fault. Usually it's some camper in a dark corner or a chopper gunner when you spawn in the middle of an open field.
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

Metro 2033 which boasts the best visuals is actually a great game with some of the best displays of atmosphere.

So awesome graphics can lead to great games.

Graphics are always important to a certain extent but of course not all concentration should be on graphics.

zaibutzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#20 zaibutzu
Member since 2004 • 1276 Posts
A good Dev/Company can perfect an online game until it is so balanced and fun, that you can get hundreds of hours of gameplay from it, compared to the abt. 10 hrs play for a single player game. Take for example Blizzard. They make their games for multi-player 1st, then only single player. And you see their games at every Lan Gaming shop. If you have played one these kind of games (starcrft, counter-strike), then you will understand that the online games will give so much more value than single player games. However some Dev/companies build games for single player 1st, then just add in the multi-player component, which at most times suck. This is when it affects the single player, cause they waste resources that could have been spent on improving the single player. So unless the company can do both components successfully like bungie, they should just stick to making single-player-only/multi-player-only games
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] Metal gear solid 4, uncharted 1 and 2, killzone 2, GTAIV, call of duty, stalker are those "the wrong games"? then which are the "right ones"lightleggy

Wow...now I really know you have no idea what you're talking about.

FF13 clocks in at 30-40 hours minimum.

CAPSROGUE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CAPSROGUE
Member since 2008 • 863 Posts

The poll results are shaped in a way that reminds me of something ... I just can't seem to put my finger on it ... Ohwell, maybe in a couple of years it'll suddenly pop up in my head.

forza420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 forza420
Member since 2010 • 1225 Posts
i remember a long time ago i read that Miyomoto said something like - We have the Technology in consoles now to make some amazing games but we are so hung up on making cutting edge graphics that we forget that its all about the gameplay.
davidkamayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 davidkamayor
Member since 2008 • 1642 Posts

To some extent your right, but most of this is just a rant blaming everything for the declining quality of most games which the cause of the decline in difficulty and length can be attributed to other factors.

To say first off you can't blame Graphics, Graphics only enhance the experience and there one of the largest factors that makes games enjoyable. I'm not talking about technical aspects specifically, but just making a game look attractive is 40% of what makes it fun.

On the online front I sort of agree with you, but I tell you one of the best things about this gen has been the online shooters and the abillity to take things like racing games online however this is a double edged sword because as much fun as this is alot of games single player has been gimped because the developement is split 50/50. For example I loved UC2 single player, but it was far too short while on the other hand the multiplayer was quite lame I'm thinking that if the devs had more time for the single player they could have producedmore, but on the other handdevs like Blizzard andDICE makes multiplayer games that can rival any single player experience. IMO only games that are made for multiplayer should have it.

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamebreakerz__
[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Wow...now I really know you have no idea what you're talking about.

FF13 clocks in at 30-40 hours minimum.

I had to sig it.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts

Online matters way more than single player for me. Videogame story telling sucks for the most part anyway. I really don't even play single player games anymore, unless they are fantastic.

Flame102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Flame102
Member since 2010 • 95 Posts

Im Just Like Single Player Game...

Better to Playing Online no story...

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Yangire

To say first off you can't blame Graphics, Graphics only enhance the experience and there one of the largest factors that makes games enjoyable. I'm not talking about technical aspects specifically, but just making a game look attractive is 40% of what makes it fun.

davidkamayor

So what, you have fun by looking at the graphics?

djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
We need dervs to focus more on SP. Im tired of all these games with horrible online components and ridiculous trophies that you cant get because no one plays the damn game online.
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

Lots of mainstream games are this way

But there are loads of games still out there catering to the other markets.Shouldn't be tough to track down more than you could play I'm sure.

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gamebreakerz__
[QUOTE="Yangire"]

[QUOTE="davidkamayor"]

In FF13 I could just stop and look out at the vistas for a few minutes because they looked so good but if a game is not striving to be fantastic graphically then they shouldn't worry about the graphics.
felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

[QUOTE="davidkamayor"]

Yangire

I wouldn't say "fun", but they can be moving. Example, SOTC.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="davidkamayor"]

Yangire

All gamers do.... Without graphics you would have nothing to look at period.
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Yangire

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

[QUOTE="davidkamayor"]

i5750at4Ghz

ASCII, and I'm not saying graphics are not needed I'm asking who has fun just by looking at graphics.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="Yangire"]

Yangire

ASCII, and I'm not saying graphics are not needed I'm asking who has fun just by looking at graphics.

And again I state all gamers. It's not possible to enjoy a videogame without looking at its graphics.
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Yangire

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"] All gamers do.... Without graphics you would have nothing to look at period.i5750at4Ghz

And again I state all gamers. It's not possible to enjoy a videogame without looking at its graphics.

As I said, you can look at ASCII.

forza420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 forza420

[QUOTE="davidkamayor"]

honestly dude,im not trying to argue with you or prove you wrong or anything but i dont care about graphics at all. as long as the game is fun i dont care.i guess im just old school.i can still play tetris on the old gameboy and still have tons of fun.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#38 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

The people who buy them are killing games...

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 i5750at4Ghz

forza420

honestly dude,im not trying to argue with you or prove you wrong or anything but i dont care about graphics at all. as long as the game is fun i dont care.i guess im just old school.i can still play tetris on the old gameboy and still have tons of fun.

Yet even though you don't care about them they are require for you to enjoy the game, even tetris.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 i5750at4Ghz

Yangire

As I said, you can look at ASCII.

Have fun with your text based games. I can't do it.
gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gamebreakerz__

mitu123
SO we shouldn't buy the games devs paid millions to make so they can go completely bankrupt and we will be left with Activision and COD??
Flame102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Flame102
Member since 2010 • 95 Posts

I Like Role-Playing Game my favourite game is on PS2 :

Persona 3 Fes

Persona 4

Kingdom Hearts Final Mix+

Kingdom Hearts Re:CoM

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+

.Hack Infection Part 1

.Hack Mutation Part 2

.Hack Outbreak Part 3

.Hack Quarantine Part 4

.Hack//G.U Vol.1//Rebirth

.Hack//G.U Vol.2//Reminisce

.Hack//G.U Vol.3//Redemption

Genso Suikoden 3

Genso Suikoden 4

Genso Suikoden 5

Genso Suikoden Tactics

forza420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 forza420

[QUOTE="forza420"][QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"] All gamers do.... Without graphics you would have nothing to look at period.i5750at4Ghz

Yet even though you don't care about them they are require for you to enjoy the game, even tetris.

thats not what im talking about.

im talking about cutting edge graphics.

i can enjoy a game even if it doesnt have Uncharted 2,alan wake or crysis 2 graphics

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chickan_117

[QUOTE="davidkamayor"]

Yangire

I don't. I certainly love good graphics in a game but they don't modify the amount of fun I have playing that game. I have more fun playing FF4 than I did playing FF13 and I think it's fair to say the graphics in 13 were a little better. Then again maybe that's because

I already said it, FF13, part of the FF saga, probably the most famous saga in the RPG world, having games which usually last 20 hours+, has now joined the "lets last 8 hours" bandwagonlightleggy

:D

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="Yangire"] All gamers do.... Without graphics you would have nothing to look at period.Chickan_117

I don't. I certainly love good graphics in a game but they don't modify the amount of fun I have playing that game. I have more fun playing FF4 than I did playing FF13 and I think it's fair to say the graphics in 13 were a little better. Then again maybe that's because

I already said it, FF13, part of the FF saga, probably the most famous saga in the RPG world, having games which usually last 20 hours+, has now joined the "lets last 8 hours" bandwagonlightleggy

So you play games with your eyes closed? Graphics are extremely important, while you may not care about the quality, with out them you wouldn't have a videogame to look at.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#46 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

gamebreakerz__

SO we shouldn't buy the games devs paid millions to make so they can go completely bankrupt and we will be left with Activision and COD??

I don't have a problem with you buying games, however, these reasons are why devs focus on graphics and/or online than putting full effort in all areas in a decent amount of games these days.

Gamers will always complain...

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="Chickan_117"]

Chickan_117

So you play games with your eyes closed? Graphics are extremely important, while you may not care about the quality, with out them you wouldn't have a videogame to look at.

What on earth are you talking about? Stop trolling. I said the quality doesn't overly affect the amount of fun I have I didn't say I wanted to somehow play games without any visuals.

One I'm not trolling, and two all my posts deal with the question; "So what, you have fun by looking at the graphics?" posted by Yangire. The question simply being all gamers do.
forza420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 forza420

What on earth are you talking about? Stop trolling. I said the quality doesn't overly affect the amount of fun I have I didn't say I wanted to somehow play games without any visuals.Chickan_117
hey thats fine with me. i still play Poker with my friends on the weekends.most fun i ever had with any game :)

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Chickan_117

One I'm not trolling, and two all my posts deal with the question; "So what, you have fun by looking at the graphics?" posted by Yangire. The question simply being all gamers do. i5750at4Ghz

We are saying that the quality of the graphics doesn't affect the amount of fun we have in a game.

You retort(twice on the one page) with a statement that graphics are required for games otherwise we'd look at nothing.

You are deliberately taking what we say out of context and starting an argument. Unless you honestly think our opinion is that graphics are not required for a game in which case [self moderation applied :)]

So, for the sake of closing this argument, I am not saying that I do not think graphics are required for a game. I am saying that the quality does not affect the amount of fun I have playing that game. As with Forza470, I thoroughly enjoy older games like Tetris of Mario 1 as much as current gen games so the quality of the graphics does not affect my experience.