GoW Ragnarok or Elden Ring - who will win the most GOTY Awards?

• 73 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll GoW Ragnarok or Elden Ring - who will win the most GOTY Awards? (79 votes)

GoW Ragnarok 14%
Elden Ring 82%
Will be a virtual tie! 4%

Having played both games, they’re both incredible games that made 2022 an otherwise forgettable year. I think it will be very close. Personally, Ragnarok takes the cake for me. It’s a more complete game. Elden Ring is the superior RPG for sure, but it’s basically a really big Souls game lol. But definitely the best or second best (after Bloodborne 😉). Ragnarok has an incredible story, writing, characters, fun and action packed gameplay and challenge, puzzles. But what Elden Ring does, it does extremely well. So I’m going to say virtual tie. How about you, SW? GoW Ragnarok or Elden Ring - who will win the most GOTY Awards?

• 
JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12574 Posts

God of war. Souls games are niche, right?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#52 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Not a fan of either games but Elden Ring has reached more players and is more of a game than GOWR.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Both are great, but I think ER will win.

@goldenelementxl: GoW content pops up all the time on TikTok at least.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#54 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@hardwenzen: My only complaint and pretty much only reason why I did not give God of War (2018) a 10/10 was the lack of variety in the enemies, bosses and environments. Still a 9.5 and top 5 game of last gen

God of War Ragnarok literally addressed all three, especially the enemy variation.

That said, I still prefer Elden Ring thus far.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

tough call, but you know it's the 10/10 Elden Ring. It's Miyazaki's magnum opus.

God of War Ragnarok is a 9.5/10 and could win in 2021, 2019, 2016, 2014... maybe even 2018 too.. but not 2022.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22686 Posts

I absolutely love what they've done with God of War. Its an improvement over narrative and the combat is still super engaging.

That said, God of War is not even on the same planet as Elden Ring. That game comes along once a generation maybe less.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#57 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7204 Posts

@Mozelleple112: Too much talking and handholding in it. GoW is still good, but I give it an 8/10, it’s in my top 15, but not my top 5 of the year. It has too many flaws.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45122 Posts

@TheEroica said:

I absolutely love what they've done with God of War. Its an improvement over narrative and the combat is still super engaging.

That said, God of War is not even on the same planet as Elden Ring. That game comes along once a generation maybe less.

Why is not on the same planet as Elden Ring? if you’ve played Souls games for the last 15 years, you’ve played Elden Ring 🤣

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#59 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19552 Posts

Everyone forgot about Horizon already?

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

Honestly I personally greatly prefer gow, but let’s be honest here it’s basically just more of the same and basically function more like a dlc that a full blown sequel. So think ER will smoke it in the awards department!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 SolidGame_basic

@djoffer123 said:

Honestly I personally greatly prefer gow, but let’s be honest here it’s basically just more of the same and basically function more like a dlc that a full blown sequel. So think ER will smoke it in the awards department!

Same could be said about Elden Ring.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22686 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@TheEroica said:

Why is not on the same planet as Elden Ring? if you’ve played Souls games for the last 15 years, you’ve played Elden Ring 🤣

Wow, Elden Ring was so much more than "every other souls game". It had an exploration feature that rivals breath of the wild. It's world is alive and it doesn't need to rely on cutscenes and an overuse of cinematics to authenticate the world. The ability to craft your own style of tarnished with soooo many possibilities and styles is pure rpg gold and while it shares much of the industry defining combat found in souls games, elden ring far surpassed the scope and execution of previous work at From Software.

Funny though that you'd suggest the new ip is safe and familiar... What do we make of the God of War sequel?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7704 Posts
@TheEroica said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@TheEroica said:

Wow, Elden Ring was so much more than "every other souls game". It had an exploration feature that rivals breath of the wild. It's world is alive and it doesn't need to rely on cutscenes and an overuse of cinematics to authenticate the world. The ability to craft your own style of tarnished with soooo many possibilities and styles is pure rpg gold and while it shares much of the industry defining combat found in souls games, elden ring far surpassed the scope and execution of previous work at From Software.

Funny though that you'd suggest the new ip is safe and familiar... What do we make of the God of War sequel?

Also, one of the best controlling horses you can find, which makes traversal great and you can do some challenging platforming with it, instead of you know holding the stick forward and occasionally hitting X when prompted.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@TheEroica said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@TheEroica said:

I love both games, but I find it funny that Elden Ring is being praised as a breakthrough game lol.

• Character customization - done in other games
  • Story - what story? Oh you mean The whole “Evil takes over the world” story we’ve seen in games all the time lol.
  • Open World - it’s 2022, open world is a dime a dozen.
  • Combat - it’s a refined combat of the same Souls combat we’ve seen since 2009.
  • Bad quest management - the fact that most people will need a walkthrough to figure out how to get the proper endings sucks. It’s too obtuse.
  • Graphics - the graphics are almost PS3 like and there were FPS issues.

God of War Ragnarok takes just about everything from the 2018 game and improves on it. It also has an engaging story, writing, characters, puzzles. There’s actually a world here. Elden Ring’s world is - go to this place, kill the enemies, go to other place, kill those enemies too. And every now and then go through a dungeon lol. I mean if Elden Ring is your first Souls game, then I can see how it would blow your mind lol.

God of War isn’t perfect. Sure there are moments when the game wants you to walk around and view cut scenes and things like that. But that’s part of the narrative, you are the character. And the combat is awesome, but would’ve loved more flexibility and depth.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2067 Posts

Elden ring by a country mile, and that takes nothing away from GOW being a great cinematic experience but Elden ring is a different beast to the point I put in excess of a 100 hours on my first playthrough and I didn't even get to the Haligtree first time round.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#66 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12963 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Everyone forgot about Horizon already?

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ___gamemaster__  Online
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

Loved both game. Though i havent finish GOWR yet, i feel both game well deserve with GOTY. But i think ER has more impact when it was launched.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ___gamemaster__  Online
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: i loved how they balance kratos weapons too. In the original GOW, BoC is pretty forgettable. Now its pretty mandatory to switch weapons based on circumstances. Specially when your playing on high difficulty.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11099 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@mesome713 said:

Sony always plays it safe and makes that same junk.

Typical Sony

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: how?? It’s not even a sequel…

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 911 Posts

@Macutchi said:
@mycatismilk said:

I prefer the linearity of the Souls games before it.

same.

i replay the shit out of fromsoft games. love trying new builds, strategies, paths through the game etc. i've come back to try elden ring again a few times and it's been like standing of the bottom of everest, looking up. it's one big arse game. there's no way i'm getting through it in less than 150+ hours, which is probably two months worth of gaming for me. and it feels overwhelming. i've always put it back on the shelf and reached for something much shorter like demon's souls or bloodborne instead.

but with callisto protocol looking increasingly worse each time i see it, i dont have an awful lot on my immediate gaming radar in dec so may try an elden ring replay over xmas. or wait for the dlc and use that as the excuse

I played through it once and beat it (although definitely missed A LOT). On my second playthrough I'm going slow and focusing on one area of the map at a time. Once I'm done with that area I go and play other games and then a few weeks/months later I go back and do another area.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@hardwenzen: My only complaint and pretty much only reason why I did not give God of War (2018) a 10/10 was the lack of variety in the enemies, bosses and environments. Still a 9.5 and top 5 game of last gen

God of War Ragnarok literally addressed all three, especially the enemy variation.

That said, I still prefer Elden Ring thus far.

Look at that, a dev that listens to criticism. If only 343i did the same.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10615 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@R4gn4r0k: Congrats, you just played yourself. Those games are risky installments that changed gaming forever. Meanwhile Sony just coping other games, playing it safe and releasing the same trash again and again.

So what game is Ragnarok is copying?

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i love elder ring but my vote goes god of war ragnarok