GoW Ragnarok or Elden Ring - who will win the most GOTY Awards?

• 73 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll GoW Ragnarok or Elden Ring - who will win the most GOTY Awards? (79 votes)

GoW Ragnarok 14%
Elden Ring 82%
Will be a virtual tie! 4%

Having played both games, they’re both incredible games that made 2022 an otherwise forgettable year. I think it will be very close. Personally, Ragnarok takes the cake for me. It’s a more complete game. Elden Ring is the superior RPG for sure, but it’s basically a really big Souls game lol. But definitely the best or second best (after Bloodborne 😉). Ragnarok has an incredible story, writing, characters, fun and action packed gameplay and challenge, puzzles. But what Elden Ring does, it does extremely well. So I’m going to say virtual tie. How about you, SW? GoW Ragnarok or Elden Ring - who will win the most GOTY Awards?

• 
Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7147 Posts

Elden Ring, no one cares for the handholding talk too much PS4 looking game. It’s already forgotten and only sold 5 million copies barely breaking even due to how much money they spent on advertising tricking people into buying it. Everyone is playing and talking about Pokémon now. And to think Sony forced gamers who wanted a PS5 to buy GoW, what a shitty move. They only wanted FIFA, and CoD and can’t even sale GoW like they wanted to cause it was shitty digital code no one wanted. And it was worst than GoW 2016 and does nothing new in gaming. Sony always plays it safe and makes that same junk.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16517 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I don’t want either one to win, but I’d take gow winning over elden ring if it would piss off the resident halo hater.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

Halo: Infinite, Forge, by a light-year or three!! lol :P

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 44939 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Elden Ring, no one cares for the handholding talk too much PS4 looking game. It’s already forgotten and only sold 5 million copies barely breaking even due to how much money they spent on advertising tricking people into buying it. Everyone is playing and talking about Pokémon now. And to think Sony forced gamers who wanted a PS5 to buy GoW, what a shitty move. They only wanted FIFA, and CoD and can’t even sale GoW like they wanted to cause it was shitty digital code no one wanted. And it was worst than GoW 2016 and does nothing new in gaming. Sony always plays it safe and makes that same junk.

Lol, I think it’s time to start ignoring all your posts. Just posting lies out of fanboyism.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45996 Posts

Yeh, tied

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k

@mesome713 said:

Sony always plays it safe and makes that same junk.

Typical Sony

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 43989 Posts

Elden Ring gets my vote. Outside of those two games I think Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Bayonetta 3, and Kirby and the Forgotten Land were other great games that made this a pretty good year of gaming as well.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7147 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Congrats, you just played yourself. Those games are risky installments that changed gaming forever. Meanwhile Sony just coping other games, playing it safe and releasing the same trash again and again.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k

@mesome713 said:

@R4gn4r0k: Congrats, you just played yourself. Those games are risky installments that changed gaming forever. Meanwhile Sony just coping other games, playing it safe and releasing the same trash again and again.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10360 Posts

elden ring by a country mile.

ragnarok is really good at times, but overall there's just too many aspects of the game design and mechanics that i dont particularly enjoy that much

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

Elden Ring should win ... is a game like no other, perfecting the open world formula in a way that very few would dare to, is like BotW on steroids, while Ragnarok is, well yet another action game, very good no doubt and i want to play it eventually, but yeah, we have seen it before.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24847 Posts

Elden ring because ragnarok is boring movie game.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 7977 Posts

**** both those games

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

It's not even fair how much better ER is.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

Elden Ring is the better game but who knows with awards shows. They have been known to favor big, thematic, emotional movie games in the past so this might be no different.

In any case, I don't know too many people online or off that seriously care what the game awards winners are.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#17 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Probably God of War because it's easier and more accessible based on what I have watched and read. I have played neither, yet.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38126 Posts

GoW Ragnarok has the best story and absolutely amazing writing with a ton of cool characters in it, but Elden Ring deserves GOTY more. ER for president, i mean GOTY.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1139 Posts

Elden Ring for sure. It's not even in my top three of Soulsborne games. If I ranked them, Dark Souls 2 would be last, followed by Elden Ring. Though I enjoyed the game, the replay value, though high still, didn't get me to sink in over 300+ hours like Dark Souls 3 did. I prefer the linearity of the Souls games before it.

GoW:R is still barely even appearing in my recommendations list on YouTube, which to me says a lot. Streamers are still playing Elden Ring. Animators like Carbot are still making Elden Ring content. He made like one God of War one and I haven't seen anything since. God of War: R seems like a one and done game.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidGame_basic  Online

God of War is Time Magazine's game of the year!

https://www.psu.com/news/god-of-war-ragnarok-crowned-2022s-best-game-by-time-magazine/

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12792 Posts

Elden Ring won GOTY already. But GOW R is no slouch! Solid game.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50495 Posts

I can't see anything coming close to Elden Ring.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

https://www.psu.com/news/god-of-war-ragnarok-crowned-2022s-best-game-by-time-magazine/

that list was written by one guy

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Where is stray in the poll?

It has just won the more prestigious golden joy stick game of the year over Ragnarok.

My game of the year is plague tale reqium, pleased to see it get 6 nominations even if the Jeff Keeley awards are beneath the golden joystick awards

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blaznwiipspman1

@sargentd said:

**** both those games

lol right. Halo Infinite should get GOTY.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KvallyX

@SolidGame_basic said:

Time Magazine? LOL, jeebus...that's worse than the Clio awards 😂

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blaznwiipspman1

@howmakewood said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

that list was written by one guy

lmfao! So true, poor cows have sunk to desparation levels.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Lopsided poll.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10360 Posts

@mycatismilk said:

I prefer the linearity of the Souls games before it.

same.

i replay the shit out of fromsoft games. love trying new builds, strategies, paths through the game etc. i've come back to try elden ring again a few times and it's been like standing of the bottom of everest, looking up. it's one big arse game. there's no way i'm getting through it in less than 150+ hours, which is probably two months worth of gaming for me. and it feels overwhelming. i've always put it back on the shelf and reached for something much shorter like demon's souls or bloodborne instead.

but with callisto protocol looking increasingly worse each time i see it, i dont have an awful lot on my immediate gaming radar in dec so may try an elden ring replay over xmas. or wait for the dlc and use that as the excuse

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17401 Posts

I just started Elden Ring (Not a souls fan due to lack of narrative) and I've found it hard to stop playing.

I feel like they've made enough changes to cater to people like me that like compelling exploration and added just enough cutscenes that makes me want to read stuff that I find.

I haven't played Ragnarok but I think my opinions on GoW2018 would apply since people are saying it's more of the same. I found 2018 to have a good story but repetitive gameplay.

My pick would be Elden Ring

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidGame_basic  Online

@fedor said:

Lopsided poll.

I guess we shall see! But I know it will be tough for GoW to win. Elden Ring has been out a lot longer, was multiplat, and it deserves the accolades. It will be tough! The original GoW took Red Dead Redemption 2 down though.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

It's Elden Ring. Knew it was when it launched, would have taken something insane and unexpected to put a dent in it.

I wasn't all that into it myself, didn't even finish it, but it's clearly a very impressive achievement.

Even if it somehow doesn't rack up the most wins (it will), doesn't matter lol. It's the 2022 game people are going to remember, it's one of the games that this gen will be remembered for.

People incorrectly compare it to BotW a lot of the time, but in this case a comparison makes sense. ER is going to have that kind of legacy.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 43989 Posts

It can sometimes be difficult for games that release early in the year due to recency bias but I think that Elden Ring is strong enough to pull through that.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38126 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

I just started Elden Ring (Not a souls fan due to lack of narrative) and I've found it hard to stop playing.

I feel like they've made enough changes to cater to people like me that like compelling exploration and added just enough cutscenes that makes me want to read stuff that I find.

I haven't played Ragnarok but I think my opinions on GoW2018 would apply since people are saying it's more of the same. I found 2018 to have a good story but repetitive gameplay.

Ragnarok is indeed gow2018, but on illegal steroids. The diversity of environment and variety of enemies is insanely good now. The writing is awesome, and they have introduced so many new excellent characters. Massive step up in that department.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
@hardwenzen said:
@navyguy21 said:

Ragnarok is indeed gow2018, but on illegal steroids. The diversity of environment and variety of enemies is insanely good now. The writing is awesome, and they have introduced so many new excellent characters. Massive step up in that department.

Yea, they killed it. The combat is improved too. I love it when a company actually listens to the fans.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KvallyX

@SolidGame_basic said:
@fedor said:

Lopsided poll.

I guess we shall see! But I know it will be tough for GoW to win. Elden Ring has been out a lot longer, was multiplat, and it deserves the accolades. It will be tough! The original GoW took Red Dead Redemption 2 down though.

Nah. Elden Ring is a no brainer.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

@kvallyx said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@fedor said:

Lopsided poll.

Not really. Elden Ring is basically a refined Souls game. That's really it.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KvallyX

@SolidGame_basic said:
@kvallyx said:

To you and I, yes. But Elden Ring is getting the most universal praise. But in the end, both deserve it compared to what is out there this year. Though I would give the nod to the new COD.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

@kvallyx said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@kvallyx said:

To you and I, yes. But Elden Ring is getting the most universal praise. But in the end, both deserve it compared to what is out there this year. Though I would give the nod to the new COD.

Can't believe you don't play the multiplayer. I haven't even touched the campaign. The campaign is that good?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KvallyX

@SolidGame_basic said:
@kvallyx said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@kvallyx said:

Can't believe you don't play the multiplayer. I haven't even touched the campaign. The campaign is that good?

Short but sweet. It's like playing a Hollywood movie but with great gameplay and shooting. I think I have like 5 rounds in for MP.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4569 Posts

I feel like Elden Ring or Shredder's Revenge should win, but I am happy either way because I can play them all on either my PS4 or PS5.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

self owned..lol

@R4gn4r0k said:
@mesome713 said:

Sony always plays it safe and makes that same junk.

Typical Sony

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61424 Posts

Elden Ring. I enjoyed Ragnarok a fair bit, but too many parts just dragged the game down as a whole. Elden Ring just constantly kept me engaged and moving forward.

neogeo2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By neogeo2k2
Member since 2019 • 145 Posts

ER got me playing non stop, I put over 450 hours on that game and enjoyed every single minute of it. I had to force myself to stop playing it. I can turn it on now and play it for 300 hours more. The game is that good. As much I enjoyed Bloodborne, I still pick ER is my favorite game.

I read don’t care much about GOW R, I’m still going to play it because I love the store of GOW 2018.

But I’m not that excited to play it. I did bought it when it came out, but I’m not in a rush to play it. As of now MW2 just takes all my time.

On a side note. Does anyone feel that gaming is just like a second job with all the hours you have to dedicate to it?

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1378 Posts

Recently i purchased Elden Ring. Played a few hours, died a few times. So far the camera+lockon has been my worst enemy. Great gaem. I think it wasn't such a nuisance in GoW. All in all it's just another Souls. "Boring glumness".

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2313 Posts

In the last few week I added to my collection a small number of AAA games I had been waiting for high price drops on over the last few years. Elden Ring did not make the cut. In the past, I really looked forward to FromSoftware's games. Speaking to an alternate dimension where they pay attention to me: Stop repeating yourselves. Your medieval European fantasy is played out. Your combat mechanics are played out. Do something new!

New God of War is kind of shit. So many fun directions they could have taken a reboot.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

ER took the industry by storm when it came out. It was poppin’ on Twitch and had all sorts of “non gamers” attention. GoW came and went faster than that one shooter the Lems don’t want us to talk about. Hollow Infinity or something like that…

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3414 Posts

@mesome713 said:

I'm sure you're not biased at all. Your opinion is so valuable here 😒

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3414 Posts

As much as I'm enjoying GOW, have to admit Elden Ring did something refreshing. Couldn't put the game down. I'd honestly give it GOTY but wouldn't mind GOW winning to stick it to the Sony haters. Everyone calling GOW a movie game, how dare a game take its story and presentation seriously 🙄

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#50 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2549 Posts

Have to go with Elden Ring, although it wouldn't feel wrong if it goes to God of War; with that said i really wish Stray wins.