Ghostbusters Developer Prefers Working On PS3 First

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rocoswav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rocoswav
Member since 2005 • 804 Posts

We've seen many developers struggle with multi-platform development this generation. Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 are different technical beasts. Complications with the wildly popular Unreal Engine 3 middleware have made things even more difficult.

Terminal Reality, the studio behind the upcoming "Ghostbusters," spent a lot of time evaluating each console before moving forward with their first next-generation game, Terminal Reality president Mark Randell told MTV Multiplayer at a Sierra media event last month.

In the end, contrary to most teams this generation, they decided to make PlayStation 3 their lead development platform for "Ghostbusters." Here's why.

Randell explains the technical reason behind their decision. "The multiprocessing model of the PS3 is not a general-purpose model," said Randell. "It simultaneously uses one main processor and six specialized co-processors: the Synergetic Processing Units, or "SPU's."

That's not the case with Xbox 360 and traditional modern PCs. "[Those platforms] share a general-purpose multiprocessor coding model," he continued. "The 360 uses three general-purpose PowerPC processors, and most current PCs use between one and four Intel or AMD processors."

The end result: Terminal Reality believes that moving a "Ghostbusters" game developed on hardware with specialized processors (PS3) to general processors (Xbox 360, PC) is much easier than doing it the other way around. Many studios, however, have chosen the other way around, with the PS3 version lagging in performance up until the last few months of development. Or, as the case with a number of mulit-platform games released in 2007, never catching up.

Randell's team might spend a more time on technology early on, but the ease in porting means they avoid having one platform perform better than the other, he argues.

"We've found that writing for the PS3 first and then porting to the 360 and PC is a much simpler and more efficient procedure," he concluded.

Even though PS3 development is notoriously difficult, most projects still lead on Xbox 360. We talked to one developer doing exactly that earlier this week. Unlike Randell, he believed you just need the right team. You'll hear his thoughts on Monday.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/05/02/ghostbusters-developer-prefers-working-on-ps3-first/

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
I'm sure the wii team is having it the easiest. :P
loftus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 loftus42
Member since 2008 • 1086 Posts
I said this in the PS3 forum a long time ago and got moderated. I gave an example of the cell being like the OLD SX processors, if any of you remember them in the early 90s. To do physics or other intensive programming they had to add the math co-processors. the cell was like 1 SX processor with 6 math co-processors. (remember they have to disable one of the spe's at the factory to improve the yield.) the cell, of course is much more powerful then the old processors, but the general idea is the same. And this is why i got moderated: This is the reason the cell processor can not do more then two threads at a time. it is a very basic multi threaded processor. Even though it is more powerful then the 360's processor, the cell runs into a bottle neck that only allows it to sustain 2 threads at a time. while the 360 can handle three to six threads at one time. That is why you are seeing games that are not much better on the PS3 then a comparable game is on the 360. Take into account i own both the 360, and the PS3, so i have seen the best the PS3 has to offer, and I have seen the best the 360 has to offer. the only difference between the two is the amount of time the dev's are willing to put into each console. You will see parlor tricks to make the PS3's graphics better, but that depends on the RSX graphics chip being helped a little by the cell. Demonstrated by GTA4's blur effects to remove jagged edges from the graphics, while the 360 can do AA and remove the jaggies that way.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
It makes everything more easy in the end and everyone wins.
SpidersRMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SpidersRMe
Member since 2006 • 6201 Posts
Well, it makes sense to start on the most graphically powerful console then downscale, since the other way around is just illogical. And is this a news post, or a post boasting the industry's favor of the PS3?
UpSwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 UpSwing
Member since 2004 • 3384 Posts

Number of Next Gen games Terminal Reality has made = 0

Number of AAA Games these guys have made = 0

Number of AA Games these guys have made = 0

Yes, yes it's truly the 360 holding you back from Greatness.

I'm sure you're gonna love working with the Cell. Everyone else does.

BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts

Swing and a miss...

VG247: Why choose to lead on the PS3?

Mark Randell : Very simple reason: Ghostbusters is the property of Sony Pictures.

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/04/28/sierra-spring-break-08-ps3-exclusivity-would-have-allowed-double-the-amount-of-objects-on-screen-says-ghostbusters-dev/

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

sounds like a crappy developer trying to get attention. I mean... is anyone actually interested in the ghostbuster game?? Haha... so I see this developer is actually owned by Sony. Doh... cover blown. I wish I could include that sound you get in mgs when a guard spots you :)

Basically, when Sony designed the ps3 with crazy internal workings, they were probably hoping that developers would be so hyped over the ps3 that they would want to make it the lead platform. As it stands, with the market peneration ms achieved early on, developers are not willing to dedicate all their time and resources to the ps3 and, as such, many ps3 owners are left with crappy ports.

Things may get better, in fact, they seem to be improving, but one thing that would put me off buying a PS3 is the fact that most multiplat games on the ps3 have been crap compared to their 360 conuterpart. I mean, just look at HL2:orange box and lost planet.... 2 games that were good on the PC and 360, but were awful on the ps3 thanks to crap textures and framerate issues. The ps3 was easily able to handle these games, but it is well known that porting to the ps3 never works very well - which is a problem since most games are now multi-plat,

Miss_Wacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Miss_Wacy
Member since 2007 • 1911 Posts
wat sony need to be doin is getting the real ghosbusters cartoons on blu ray or dvd boxsets that wat they need to be doing, thisl be a nice treat to go with the launch of the ghosbusters game haha :D, can only dream
ryuisill81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ryuisill81
Member since 2007 • 140 Posts
It's great to see somebody out there in this big ginormous world that enjoys the challenge of developing a multi-platform game on PS3 first. It is truly a pleasure to read this amazing article touching on this subject. You Know, not many journalists would dare venture into this type of territory. It's touchy stuff.
loftus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 loftus42
Well, it makes sense to start on the most graphically powerful console then downscale, since the other way around is just illogical. And is this a news post, or a post boasting the industry's favor of the PS3?SpidersRMe
They are not boasting favor of any console. They say that if you start with a 360, and then port it to the PS3 alot of the optimization has to be done later because it is harder to program for the PS3. while, If it is done on the PS3 first, the rewriting of the code that cannot be ported over is alot easier because the programming for the 360 has been around alot longer with PCs, and is much easier because the developers are more familiar with it. while the programming for the PS3 is less familiar, and they have to come up with certain tricks to make the same code function on the PS3.
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts

well all i have to say is....

Ghostbusters…
If there's somethin' strange in your neighborhood
Who ya gonna call (ghostbusters)
If it's somethin' weird an it won't look good

I ain't afraid a no ghost
If you're seein' things runnin' thru your head
Who can you call (ghostbusters)
An' invisible man sleepin' in your bed
Oh who ya gonna call (ghostbusters)
If you're all alone pick up the phone
An call (ghostbusters)

I hear it likes the girls
Who you gonna call (ghostbusters)
Mm…if you've had a dose
Of a freaky ghost baby
You better call ghostbusters
Bustin' makes me feel good
I ain't afraid a no ghosts

Don't get caught alone oh no…ghostbuster
When he comes through your door
Unless you've just got some more
I think you better call ghostbusters
Ooh... who you gonna call (ghostbusters)
Ah, I think you better call (ghostbusters)

I can't hear you…(ghostbusters)
Louder ghostbusters
Who you can call ghostbusters…(till fade)

Avatar image for deactivated-57a12126af02c
deactivated-57a12126af02c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57a12126af02c
Member since 2007 • 3290 Posts
Thats why it looks like an xbox game.
SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts

So, I dont see a big deal in that :|

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
It funny they would say that when the rights to Ghost Busters the movie is held by Sony.....I think it would be best to make them happy
loftus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 loftus42
Thats why it looks like an xbox game. kool-aids
well when a PS3 game looks more then just a little better then a 360 game I'll give you PS3 fan-boys the props. But right now I haven't seen anything that is way better. the two are real close in power, and the games are real close in graphics. I don't think they have even come close in maxing out either of the consoles.
dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3056 Posts
I heard this game doesn't have co-op, and if thats true, it scares me
skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts
I said this in the PS3 forum a long time ago and got moderated. I gave an example of the cell being like the OLD SX processors, if any of you remember them in the early 90s. To do physics or other intensive programming they had to add the math co-processors. the cell was like 1 SX processor with 6 math co-processors. (remember they have to disable one of the spe's at the factory to improve the yield.) the cell, of course is much more powerful then the old processors, but the general idea is the same. And this is why i got moderated: This is the reason the cell processor can not do more then two threads at a time. it is a very basic multi threaded processor. Even though it is more powerful then the 360's processor, the cell runs into a bottle neck that only allows it to sustain 2 threads at a time. while the 360 can handle three to six threads at one time. That is why you are seeing games that are not much better on the PS3 then a comparable game is on the 360. Take into account i own both the 360, and the PS3, so i have seen the best the PS3 has to offer, and I have seen the best the 360 has to offer. the only difference between the two is the amount of time the dev's are willing to put into each console. You will see parlor tricks to make the PS3's graphics better, but that depends on the RSX graphics chip being helped a little by the cell. Demonstrated by GTA4's blur effects to remove jagged edges from the graphics, while the 360 can do AA and remove the jaggies that way.loftus42
I'm not sure where you get your info but the PS3 Cell has nine threads of execution (2 on the PPE and one per active SPU). If it only had two threads it would completely negate the concept behind the Cell BE.
MedicMike66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MedicMike66
Member since 2007 • 886 Posts
good for them but it's not like Ghostbusters will be groundbreaking; it looks to be medicore, at best.
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
get the expensive one out of the way first. good idea
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
Ghostbusters. Owned by Columbia. Subsidiary of Sony Pictures. Surprise, Surprise.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
Dont think it might be something to do with Ghostbusters being propert of Sony Entertainment, and one developer is working on Pc, 360, ps3 versions while another whole developer is working on DS, ps2 and wii
lightningbugx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lightningbugx
Member since 2005 • 627 Posts
Simplifying the original post, it is easier to build on a complicated system and port to a simplier system than to build on the simple system and port to the complicated system.
typevuspecII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 typevuspecII
Member since 2008 • 352 Posts

[QUOTE="kool-aids"]Thats why it looks like an xbox game. loftus42
well when a PS3 game looks more then just a little better then a 360 game I'll give you PS3 fan-boys the props. But right now I haven't seen anything that is way better. the two are real close in power, and the games are real close in graphics. I don't think they have even come close in maxing out either of the consoles.

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue... for a "demo" it already looks "more than a little better" than Xbox 360's finest.

and on topic - Ghostbuster... lol... even if the game turns out to have the best grahpics of all time I'd still wouldnt buy it!

Franco-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Franco-J
Member since 2003 • 1435 Posts

[QUOTE="SpidersRMe"]Well, it makes sense to start on the most graphically powerful console then downscale, since the other way around is just illogical. And is this a news post, or a post boasting the industry's favor of the PS3?loftus42
They are not boasting favor of any console. They say that if you start with a 360, and then port it to the PS3 alot of the optimization has to be done later because it is harder to program for the PS3. while, If it is done on the PS3 first, the rewriting of the code that cannot be ported over is alot easier because the programming for the 360 has been around alot longer with PCs, and is much easier because the developers are more familiar with it. while the programming for the PS3 is less familiar, and they have to come up with certain tricks to make the same code function on the PS3.

Exactly. This isnt an article you can use to favor Sonys PS3. They are just saying its easier to do it that way. Obviously the PS3 is more of a pain in the ***

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
I can't wait for Ghostbusters also I hope that when they finish making Ghostbusters they will make BloodRayne 3 I loved BloodRayne 2.
loftus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 loftus42
[QUOTE="loftus42"]I said this in the PS3 forum a long time ago and got moderated. I gave an example of the cell being like the OLD SX processors, if any of you remember them in the early 90s. To do physics or other intensive programming they had to add the math co-processors. the cell was like 1 SX processor with 6 math co-processors. (remember they have to disable one of the spe's at the factory to improve the yield.) the cell, of course is much more powerful then the old processors, but the general idea is the same. And this is why i got moderated: This is the reason the cell processor can not do more then two threads at a time. it is a very basic multi threaded processor. Even though it is more powerful then the 360's processor, the cell runs into a bottle neck that only allows it to sustain 2 threads at a time. while the 360 can handle three to six threads at one time. That is why you are seeing games that are not much better on the PS3 then a comparable game is on the 360. Take into account i own both the 360, and the PS3, so i have seen the best the PS3 has to offer, and I have seen the best the 360 has to offer. the only difference between the two is the amount of time the dev's are willing to put into each console. You will see parlor tricks to make the PS3's graphics better, but that depends on the RSX graphics chip being helped a little by the cell. Demonstrated by GTA4's blur effects to remove jagged edges from the graphics, while the 360 can do AA and remove the jaggies that way.skektek
I'm not sure where you get your info but the PS3 Cell has nine threads of execution (2 on the PPE and one per active SPU). If it only had two threads it would completely negate the concept behind the Cell BE.

No, with the spe's only being minor processors, the cell can only handle two threads, got the information from an article on the cell processor from anandtech when they compared the two processors from the 360 and the PS3. It's one of the reasons, besides the memory bottleneck that's kind of holding the cell back right now. When I find the article I will post a link for it, it was awile ago so please give some time.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts
Sony owns the rights to Ghost Busters and if they don't suck up to them... They could lose their license.
loftus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 loftus42

[QUOTE="loftus42"][QUOTE="kool-aids"]Thats why it looks like an xbox game. typevuspecII

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue... for a "demo" it already looks "more than a little better" than Xbox 360's finest.

and on topic - Ghostbuster... lol... even if the game turns out to have the best grahpics of all time I'd still wouldnt buy it!

Well if you look close at the cars there is jagged edges all over the place, seen tons of screen shots even here on gamespot. i don't think it does, and note this is only my opinion.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
Sony owns the rights to Ghost Busters and if they don't suck up to them... They could lose their license.Truth_Hurts_U
Sony owns the rights to the Movies and other stuff not the Games, just like Sony owns the rights to James Bond but Activision owns the rights to the James Bond games now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57a12126af02c
You guys are silly, when I sad Xbox game, I meant Xbox 1 game.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Sony owns the rights to the Movies and other stuff not the Games, just like Sony owns the rights to James Bond but Activision owns the rights to the James Bond games now.Nintendo_Ownes7

Sony owns the rights to Ghost Busters. Anything that deals with Ghost Busters has to go through Sony. Sony can licence rights out and thats how they can make this game.

I remembered when they showed the first clip for the Ghost Busters game and Sony jumped all over them... Because they had no rights to make the game.

loftus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 loftus42
You guys are silly, when I sad Xbox game, I meant Xbox 1 game. kool-aids
Oh. OK, then nevermind. Sorry. My bad. Misunderstood your post. it's all cool. I need to take a valiume and stop jumping so quick. My apologies sir.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-57a12126af02c

[QUOTE="kool-aids"]You guys are silly, when I sad Xbox game, I meant Xbox 1 game. loftus42
Oh. OK, then nevermind. Sorry. My bad. Misunderstood your post. it's all cool. I need to take a valiume and stop jumping so quick. My apologies sir.

Apologies accepted. :P

But seriously is anyone gonna buy the game?

Avatar image for ProductNumber49
ProductNumber49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 ProductNumber49
Member since 2006 • 3840 Posts
And the 360 version will still look better or identical
loftus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 loftus42
[QUOTE="skektek"][QUOTE="loftus42"]I said this in the PS3 forum a long time ago and got moderated. I gave an example of the cell being like the OLD SX processors, if any of you remember them in the early 90s. To do physics or other intensive programming they had to add the math co-processors. the cell was like 1 SX processor with 6 math co-processors. (remember they have to disable one of the spe's at the factory to improve the yield.) the cell, of course is much more powerful then the old processors, but the general idea is the same. And this is why i got moderated: This is the reason the cell processor can not do more then two threads at a time. it is a very basic multi threaded processor. Even though it is more powerful then the 360's processor, the cell runs into a bottle neck that only allows it to sustain 2 threads at a time. while the 360 can handle three to six threads at one time. That is why you are seeing games that are not much better on the PS3 then a comparable game is on the 360. Take into account i own both the 360, and the PS3, so i have seen the best the PS3 has to offer, and I have seen the best the 360 has to offer. the only difference between the two is the amount of time the dev's are willing to put into each console. You will see parlor tricks to make the PS3's graphics better, but that depends on the RSX graphics chip being helped a little by the cell. Demonstrated by GTA4's blur effects to remove jagged edges from the graphics, while the 360 can do AA and remove the jaggies that way.loftus42

No, with the spe's only being minor processors, the cell can only handle two threads, got the information from an article on the cell processor from anandtech when they compared the two processors from the 360 and the PS3. It's one of the reasons, besides the memory bottleneck that's kind of holding the cell back right now. When I find the article I will post a link for it, it was awile ago so please give some time.

Anandtech does have an article Understanding the cell processor, It states that the cell ppe can handle two intstructions, at one time, and the spe's can also handle two instructions at a time, but they have to be directly instructed to do so, and can only process information that they are holding on die. To me it sounds like in the end only two threads can run at a time. My programming knowledge is limited, so i might be wrong. If anyone has more programming experience then i do, please comment. even though it is off subject. But on subject, i will wait and see how things shape up for the game before i make my decision. I am a ghostbusters fan though, and if done right would be fun.
thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts

Swing and a miss...

VG247: Why choose to lead on the PS3?

Mark Randell : Very simple reason: Ghostbusters is the property of Sony Pictures.

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/04/28/sierra-spring-break-08-ps3-exclusivity-would-have-allowed-double-the-amount-of-objects-on-screen-says-ghostbusters-dev/

BreakingPoint8

lol, im sure that TC (with the RROD pic, thats so 2005) hasn't even read this or realised it from an unknown games company on an unreliable site openly addmiting they are being paid to say this by sony. its ludicrous. i thought we saw the end of 'teh powerz of teh cell!1!!' threads when it was established that the ps3 has comparable power to the 360 but is HARDER to program for.

eddy_of_york

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 eddy_of_york
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts

I'm reading here that hes avoiding a heavy workload by developing ps3 first. That doesn't mean he prefers working with the ps3.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts
Whoopdedoo?
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
Does this really matter? Aren't all the versions coming out at the same time?
skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 skektek
[QUOTE="skektek"][QUOTE="loftus42"]I said this in the PS3 forum a long time ago and got moderated. I gave an example of the cell being like the OLD SX processors, if any of you remember them in the early 90s. To do physics or other intensive programming they had to add the math co-processors. the cell was like 1 SX processor with 6 math co-processors. (remember they have to disable one of the spe's at the factory to improve the yield.) the cell, of course is much more powerful then the old processors, but the general idea is the same. And this is why i got moderated: This is the reason the cell processor can not do more then two threads at a time. it is a very basic multi threaded processor. Even though it is more powerful then the 360's processor, the cell runs into a bottle neck that only allows it to sustain 2 threads at a time. while the 360 can handle three to six threads at one time. That is why you are seeing games that are not much better on the PS3 then a comparable game is on the 360. Take into account i own both the 360, and the PS3, so i have seen the best the PS3 has to offer, and I have seen the best the 360 has to offer. the only difference between the two is the amount of time the dev's are willing to put into each console. You will see parlor tricks to make the PS3's graphics better, but that depends on the RSX graphics chip being helped a little by the cell. Demonstrated by GTA4's blur effects to remove jagged edges from the graphics, while the 360 can do AA and remove the jaggies that way.loftus42

Either Anand was wrong (I've seen it before) or you misinterpreted the article.
loftus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 loftus42

[QUOTE="loftus42"][QUOTE="skektek"][QUOTE="loftus42"]I said this in the PS3 forum a long time ago and got moderated. I gave an example of the cell being like the OLD SX processors, if any of you remember them in the early 90s. To do physics or other intensive programming they had to add the math co-processors. the cell was like 1 SX processor with 6 math co-processors. (remember they have to disable one of the spe's at the factory to improve the yield.) the cell, of course is much more powerful then the old processors, but the general idea is the same. And this is why i got moderated: This is the reason the cell processor can not do more then two threads at a time. it is a very basic multi threaded processor. Even though it is more powerful then the 360's processor, the cell runs into a bottle neck that only allows it to sustain 2 threads at a time. while the 360 can handle three to six threads at one time. That is why you are seeing games that are not much better on the PS3 then a comparable game is on the 360. Take into account i own both the 360, and the PS3, so i have seen the best the PS3 has to offer, and I have seen the best the 360 has to offer. the only difference between the two is the amount of time the dev's are willing to put into each console. You will see parlor tricks to make the PS3's graphics better, but that depends on the RSX graphics chip being helped a little by the cell. Demonstrated by GTA4's blur effects to remove jagged edges from the graphics, while the 360 can do AA and remove the jaggies that way.skektek

I might have misinterpreted the article, but a number of articles say the same thing. I am just waiting on anyone with an article or with more programming experience then i do to say differently. And i do trust Anandtech as one of the better tech sites out there. Can you provide any proof to the contrary? Not trying to step on your toes, if i am wrong i don't want to keep spewing the same crud and look like a fool, when there is deffinite information to the contrary that explains it a little clearer.

P.S. without the Sony (or Microsoft) hype.

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts
Factor 5 said the same thing. Also, Criterion did this with Burnout Paradise and it turned out just about the same on both systems (slight edge to PS3). There are some other devs saying this too. I think it should become the multiplat standard. That or build both games from the ground up at the same time (GTA 4, CoD 4).
skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 skektek

[QUOTE="skektek"][QUOTE="loftus42"][QUOTE="skektek"][QUOTE="loftus42"]I said this in the PS3 forum a long time ago and got moderated. I gave an example of the cell being like the OLD SX processors, if any of you remember them in the early 90s. To do physics or other intensive programming they had to add the math co-processors. the cell was like 1 SX processor with 6 math co-processors. (remember they have to disable one of the spe's at the factory to improve the yield.) the cell, of course is much more powerful then the old processors, but the general idea is the same. And this is why i got moderated: This is the reason the cell processor can not do more then two threads at a time. it is a very basic multi threaded processor. Even though it is more powerful then the 360's processor, the cell runs into a bottle neck that only allows it to sustain 2 threads at a time. while the 360 can handle three to six threads at one time. That is why you are seeing games that are not much better on the PS3 then a comparable game is on the 360. Take into account i own both the 360, and the PS3, so i have seen the best the PS3 has to offer, and I have seen the best the 360 has to offer. the only difference between the two is the amount of time the dev's are willing to put into each console. You will see parlor tricks to make the PS3's graphics better, but that depends on the RSX graphics chip being helped a little by the cell. Demonstrated by GTA4's blur effects to remove jagged edges from the graphics, while the 360 can do AA and remove the jaggies that way.loftus42

I might have misinterpreted the article, but a number of articles say the same thing. I am just waiting on anyone with an article or with more programming experience then i do to say differently. And i do trust Anandtech as one of the better tech sites out there. Can you provide any proof to the contrary? Not trying to step on your toes, if i am wrong i don't want to keep spewing the same crud and look like a fool, when there is deffinite information to the contrary that explains it a little clearer.

P.S. without the Sony (or Microsoft) hype.

Check the Cell wikientry and specifically the many references cited. Anand tech is a good tech site but they aren't infallible. I remember a very fanboyish article written by Anand himself where he incorrectly dissected the Xbox 360 and the PS3. I registered and posted in his forum with the sole intent of pointing this out. Before the day was over the article was pulled and deleted as well as all posts (including mine) regarding it with no explanation at all.
loftus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 loftus42

I hate wikipedia, Not a good source because of the ability for users to edit information. I usually ignore any post regarding wikipedia. Professors in college will flunk you for using it as a resource. just FYI. But i did look through their sources and they all point to Sony. I want an independent source outside the influence of Sony. Not just saying this because it is Sony, I wouldn't trust a Microsoft source either. Just my way of keeping things clean. But thanks for the Info. You just have to take it with a grain of salt.

P.S. Not saying I don't believe you, cause if they pulled it it would be impossible to prove Your statement. But I have never seen anything on that site that wasn't at least 90% accurate, and then what was wrong is usally amended soon. besides alot of his articles are backed up by the same information on other sites. But, again, not saying that it can't happen, no one is infallible, I just trust that site more then most.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 skektek

I hate wikipedia, Not a good source because of the ability for users to edit information. I usually ignore any post regarding wikipedia. Professors in college will flunk you for using it as a resource. just FYI. But i did look through their sources and they all point to Sony. I want an independent source outside the influence of Sony. Not just saying this because it is Sony, I wouldn't trust a Microsoft source either. Just my way of keeping things clean. But thanks for the Info. You just have to take it with a grain of salt.

P.S. Not saying I don't believe you, cause if they pulled it it would be impossible to prove Your statement. But I have never seen anything on that site that wasn't at least 90% accurate, and then what was wrong is usally amended soon. besides alot of his articles are backed up by the same information on other sites. But, again, not saying that it can't happen, no one is infallible, I just trust that site more then most.

loftus42
Obviously you didn't look close enough, many of the citations reference IBM or the Cell designers themselves. I get the feeling that you are on some kind of witch hunt, you have this idea in your head and you aren't looking for the truth, only to validate your own preconceived concept of the truth. Regarding Anand: I was shocked when it happened, I never expected it. A correction yes, but to have the whole thing swept under the rug was despicable. I lost a lot of respect for him that day.
Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

To the OP:

Those guys at Ghostbusters can't possibly be the defining voice for the developing industry. Their not. It's like saying: "We draw on super computers while everyone else is still using air brush, paints, and pencil/paper." It all depends on the artist. I've seen some amazing graphic work in my time, but I've also seen it rivaled by some amazing hand-drawn work. It does happen.

Point is, the said "superior mediums" and hardware do not necessarily equal superior games. You have to have great designers to make great games, just like you need great artists to make great art.

And as for the Ghostbuster team, I really don't see their work being anything ground-breaking or out of the ordinary on the big screen. There are tons of special effects studios that out-do them on sooo many levels. But reading through your article, they are optimistic about designing on the PS3. I say: "Good for them." But if they are going to hype the PS3 for designing superiority, then I expect their work on that system to be abolute top notch. Because if it isn't, I'm going to come back to this article and say, "well, this is what they said they could do, but then their game came out, and as it turned out, this was ALL they could do."

loftus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 loftus42
[QUOTE="loftus42"]

skektek
Obviously you didn't look close enough, many of the citations reference IBM or the Cell designers themselves. I get the feeling that you are on some kind of witch hunt, you have this idea in your head and you aren't looking for the truth, only to validate your own preconceived concept of the truth. Regarding Anand: I was shocked when it happened, I never expected it. A correction yes, but to have the whole thing swept under the rug was despicable. I lost a lot of respect for him that day.

I agree, that was wrong of anandtech, but like i said i've never came across anything like that, and with what i've seen on their site i still trust them, and you are the only person that has said anything against them. No i am not on a wicthhunt. i made a comment, i read in an article, and that was it. You pointed me to an article on wikipedia, and the only good things that came out of it was, yes a few sources, but they all pointed to the designers. I said an independent source. If you think these are sources, then you are the one that's mistaken. Given all the hype that Sony, and IBM put out before the PS3 was released. Now if you have an independent source, then of course i am willing to change my mind. it would be very close minded of me to see information and to at least not consider it. But, I repeat, an Independent source that is not financially tied to the cell. Call me paranoid, but i wouldn't trust anyone who gets their pockets filled for propping up one technology over the other. I would NOT trust Microsoft either.
rgame1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rgame1
Member since 2008 • 2526 Posts

I'm sure the wii team is having it the easiest. :Pgoblaa

agreed