Gamestop Warns That Microsoft Could Significantly Diminish Appeal For New Xbox

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

Information surrounding Microsoft's next-generation Xbox leaked earlier this week and suggested that the system will require an always on Internet connection. The report also reinforced earlier rumors that claimed Microsofts new console would be unable to play used games. Speaking with bloomberg on Friday, Gamestop spokesman Matt Hodges cited a company survey that found consumers would be less likely to buy a console that limits trading in pre-owned games.

[More from BGR: My problem with Phablets They're great except for as phones

We know the desire to purchase a next-generation console would be significantly diminished if new consoles were to prohibit playing pre-owned games, limit portability or not play new physical games, Hodges said.

[More from BGR: Why the Lumia 620 is so important to Nokia: Windows Phone is hammering the iPhone in India

Microsoft is expected to unveil its next-generation Xbox at the E# gaming conference this summer. The console is said to be equipped with a 1.6GHz eight-core AMD CPU, D3D11.x 800MHz graphics, and 8GB of RAM, along with a new Kinect sensor.

Source

God damn! Microsoft lost the next generation war before it even started. :lol:

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
Yahoo has been spamming articles from BGR all day. There most of been some paid advertising thing.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

No duh!Gamestop makes tons of money from used games.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

No duh!Gamestop makes tons of money from used games.

super600
Nearly 80% of their profits come from used games. Companies look at all the money GS is making and cry it could have been theirs.
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
I look forward to gamestop closing its doors next gen.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
I think it's quite alarming that Gamestop responded to a so-called "Rumor"
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17452 Posts
Neither MS or Sony will ban/prevent used games on their platform. They would essentially be sending their product out to die, wasting billions of dollars. They arent that stupid.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Good news.. please do it MS

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

iVkjoBspUCirj.gifddd

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
So lemmings are smarting up? I'll have to see that to believe it.
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

I think it's quite alarming that Gamestop responded to a so-called "Rumor"ShadowDeathX

Because there is a good chance it's not just a "rumor"

Via their own facebook.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 navyguy21

So lemmings are smarting up? I'll have to see that to believe it.kuraimen

....the nerve of some people

:lol::lol:

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the only way M$ will win next gen is if they start selling games for $20 new. 

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#14 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I can't wait until Microsoft has to explain this to their investors at E3. :lol:

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Yahoo has been spamming articles from BGR all day. There most of been some paid advertising thing. NEWMAHAY

Funny thing is...Microsoft owns Yahoo.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]I think it's quite alarming that Gamestop responded to a so-called "Rumor"eboyishere

Because there is a good chance it's not just a "rumor"

Via their own facebook.

eerie coincidence.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 navyguy21

[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]Yahoo has been spamming articles from BGR all day. There most of been some paid advertising thing. Blazerdt47

They were trying to buy them, but never did.
psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

iVkjoBspUCirj.gifddd

Jankarcop
Daaaaaaang
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

like i been saying.MS or Sony is NOT going push heavily ALONE on this subject of used games.

IF this rumor is true

A: Sony/MS + game publishers  had a meeting said they going do it together (what might happened)

B: one or more BIG game publishers told sony/MS they are going to block used games for their console or they will not support making games for them

C: Sony/MS will Give game publishers the right to decide on a game to game base That way they won't be blame for it (this is most likely going to happen)

This is what i believe.

The Online requirement. I can't see happening. Now i wouldn't really care to much because I hate being disconnect from the world.

BTW before any cows start to bash. sony rumour was first to come out that was games would be tied to a account...

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
I look forward to gamestop closing its doors next gen.Pittfan666
psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 psx_warrior
What if both Microsoft and Sony are doing it? People may not be so hard on either platform if that were the case. If one or the other were, and the other company wasn't, the one doing it would be throwing themselves under the bus. However, if both companies were to do it, it wouldn't be as big of a deal because then people would either have to quit gaming, or do a mass migration to Nintendo, were they can only get mostly Mario and Zelda, and not Battlefield or Skyrim. Now if most gamers surprised Sony and Microsoft and did that, oh gee, the circle would be complete! Right back to the company that revived gaming in the first place. Hmm, CoD is on the Wii U, as all the CoDs have been on the Wii. This could potentially be the thing that drives a lot of gamers to either Nintendo, the PC, or acceptance of the new way of dealing with Sony and Microsoft. Wii shall see. (Couldn't resist.)
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Online only or no used games means no buy for me. I can't afford to pay $60 for every game, and being able to trade in old games towards new ones helps me afford them. I also like playing single player games, I don't need to be online for that.. if they put either of these two things in, I'll be passing on the next gen.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
What if both Microsoft and Sony are doing it? People may not be so hard on either platform if that were the case. If one or the other were, and the other company wasn't, the one doing it would be throwing themselves under the bus. However, if both companies were to do it, it wouldn't be as big of a deal because then people would either have to quit gaming, or do a mass migration to Nintendo, were they can only get mostly Mario and Zelda, and not Battlefield or Skyrim. Now if most gamers surprised Sony and Microsoft and did that, oh gee, the circle would be complete! Right back to the company that revived gaming in the first place. Hmm, CoD is on the Wii U, as all the CoDs have been on the Wii. This could potentially be the thing that drives a lot of gamers to either Nintendo, the PC, or acceptance of the new way of dealing with Sony and Microsoft. Wii shall see. (Couldn't resist.)psx_warrior
If both companies do it then people will go elsewhere.. PC, Nintendo, Steambox, Ouya, Tablets.. there are plenty of other gaming options other than Sony and MS and if they don't do the right thing by their customers they will lose money. Being that sales are down for everyone since this gen has gone on for over a decade, they will want to make money.
psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 psx_warrior

like i been saying.MS or Sony is NOT going push heavily ALONE on this subject of used games.

IF this rumor is true

A: Sony/MS + game publishers  had a meeting said they going do it together (what might happened)

B: one or more BIG game publishers told sony/MS they are going to block used games for their console or they will support making games for them

C: Sony/MS will Give game publishers the right to decide on a game to game base That way they won't be blame for it (this is most likely going to happen)

This is what i believe.

The Online requirement. I can't see happening. Now i wouldn't really care to much because I hate being disconnect from the world.

BTW before any cows start to bash. sony rumour was first to come out that was games would be tied to a account...

k2theswiss
Oh geez, you published your comment similar to mine while I was typing mine out. I heavily agree with you. Might be why so many games are being passed up for Wii U. I wonder if we are getting close to another big gaming crash.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 k2theswiss

[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]Yahoo has been spamming articles from BGR all day. There most of been some paid advertising thing. Blazerdt47

no it's not...

yahoo is public company with shares...

top people who own shares has nothing to do with MS

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 psx_warrior
[QUOTE="psx_warrior"]What if both Microsoft and Sony are doing it? People may not be so hard on either platform if that were the case. If one or the other were, and the other company wasn't, the one doing it would be throwing themselves under the bus. However, if both companies were to do it, it wouldn't be as big of a deal because then people would either have to quit gaming, or do a mass migration to Nintendo, were they can only get mostly Mario and Zelda, and not Battlefield or Skyrim. Now if most gamers surprised Sony and Microsoft and did that, oh gee, the circle would be complete! Right back to the company that revived gaming in the first place. Hmm, CoD is on the Wii U, as all the CoDs have been on the Wii. This could potentially be the thing that drives a lot of gamers to either Nintendo, the PC, or acceptance of the new way of dealing with Sony and Microsoft. Wii shall see. (Couldn't resist.)Rattlesnake_8
If both companies do it then people will go elsewhere.. PC, Nintendo, Steambox, Ouya, Tablets.. there are plenty of other gaming options other than Sony and MS and if they don't do the right thing by their customers they will lose money. Being that sales are down for everyone since this gen has gone on for over a decade, they will want to make money.

Yeah, a very valid point. I did point out PC and Nintendo, but yeah, add those other platforms, and we could finally see the death of traditional consoles. Maybe their greed with finally catch up to them. Mobile platforms are actually getting good games from Squenix anyway. Not the FF XIII crap.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 k2theswiss
[QUOTE="Pittfan666"]I look forward to gamestop closing its doors next gen.LittleMac19

wouldn't say that. They are being smart by expanding their businesses outside of games. they already accept trade of cellphones/tablets ECT. Then last month or so they said they going start selling cell phone contracts ECT.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 k2theswiss
Online only or no used games means no buy for me. I can't afford to pay $60 for every game, and being able to trade in old games towards new ones helps me afford them. I also like playing single player games, I don't need to be online for that.. if they put either of these two things in, I'll be passing on the next gen.Rattlesnake_8
sounds like someone needs to hit those holiday sales on PC...
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 k2theswiss

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

IF this rumor is true

B: one or more BIG game publishers told sony/MS they are going to block used games for their console or they will not support making games for them

This is what i believe.

psx_warrior

Oh geez, you published your comment similar to mine while I was typing mine out. I heavily agree with you. Might be why so many games are being passed up for Wii U. I wonder if we are getting close to another big gaming crash.

:)

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 psx_warrior
[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]Online only or no used games means no buy for me. I can't afford to pay $60 for every game, and being able to trade in old games towards new ones helps me afford them. I also like playing single player games, I don't need to be online for that.. if they put either of these two things in, I'll be passing on the next gen.k2theswiss

Honestly, if either company has any soul left in them, they will follow the example laid out by Valve of having big sales like Steam has.
nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nextgenjoke
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts
[QUOTE="Pittfan666"]I look forward to gamestop closing its doors next gen.LittleMac19

Why do you want a store closing? How would would the industry be better with less stores supporting gaming?
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 k2theswiss
[QUOTE="k2theswiss"][QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]Online only or no used games means no buy for me. I can't afford to pay $60 for every game, and being able to trade in old games towards new ones helps me afford them. I also like playing single player games, I don't need to be online for that.. if they put either of these two things in, I'll be passing on the next gen.psx_warrior

Honestly, if either company has any soul left in them, they will follow the example laid out by Valve of having big sales like Steam has.

they going continue their style of sales watch!... "OMG sale 3 year old game $15.99 GET IT NOW only today" or it's going be origin style sales where the head line is $5 and up games and only one game be $5 whiles the rest is $10-$15
LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts
I see a lot of you got taken to school by GS. Power to the player
nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nextgenjoke
Getting a game from walmart is garbage you gotta go find a employee alot of times nobody in the game video game section then get them to unlock glass case with the game you want then physically point out where the game is.lol.Everytime i bought a new game from gamestop walk in there 99% of the time people at desk tell em what you want they know where it's at grab a copy and ring you up. You are in and out getting a game at gamestop compared to no big hassle compared to walmart.
psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 psx_warrior
[QUOTE="nextgenjoke"]Getting a game from walmart is garbage you gotta go find a employee alot of times nobody in the game video game section then get them to unlock glass case with the game you want then physically point out where the game is.lol.Everytime i bought a new game from gamestop walk in there 99% of the time people at desk tell em what you want they know where it's at grab a copy and ring you up. You are in and out getting a game at gamestop compared to no big hassle compared to walmart.

That's true, but they would have to change their business stragegy altogether if this actually pans out. Hmm, this whole pc gaming thing suddenly seems like it could be more profitable for us if we worked to promote it again like we used to.
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#36 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
[QUOTE="LittleMac19"][QUOTE="Pittfan666"]I look forward to gamestop closing its doors next gen.nextgenjoke

Why do you want a store closing? How would would the industry be better with less stores supporting gaming?

This... i never understood this, or people's hatret towards gamestop. I got a 3ds from Gamestop for $70 used... If i couldn't get it that cheap, i wouldn't of bought one (already owned a vita) as I only wanted it for fire emblem, eterian odyessy, castlevania and maybe some other niche non nintendo games. I got it so cheap because I had wracked up 55,000 pts and got a $30 off system coupon and a $25 game coupon from the points. Plus there was already a sale running for the system. The two stacked and i walked out of there with a 3ds and 2 games for around $100... I couldn't do that anywhere else. Best buy and target, wallmart, sell games very expensive. New older games are rip offs there. I would hate to have to shop there and I don't like buying online. I like being able to browse games and look at the back of the boxes not stare at book ends in a locked down glass case. Not to mention that those stores do not cary niche games..which if older can only be bought used... Gamestop has all this covered. Some may say toys r us or places like that... I say HA!!! I was there at x-mas getting my kids gifts, while they did have some games there for cheap, they were 90% E rated games with a sprinkling of T rated games and ZERO M rated. So thats out. And I somehow doubt other gamestores will spring up in convient places all across the country to replace the gameing stores i go to. There is nothing wrong with gamestop. As long as you don't trade in super mainstream old games or buy used games that just came to market soon, then its fine. I like how prices drop there for newer games after a few months. Compare the prices at gamestop to best buy.... best buy even has games that are 3 years old as $60 still, greedy pri@ks. I probably couldn't even get half the games i have bought at retail stores like best buy, target, etc... as a large contingent of my titles are niche handheld jrpgs or niche console games.. We need dedicated gamestores, and they are fun to talk with people about games in too. Where else can you do that with people you never met?
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#37 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
[QUOTE="nextgenjoke"]Getting a game from walmart is garbage you gotta go find a employee alot of times nobody in the game video game section then get them to unlock glass case with the game you want then physically point out where the game is.lol.Everytime i bought a new game from gamestop walk in there 99% of the time people at desk tell em what you want they know where it's at grab a copy and ring you up. You are in and out getting a game at gamestop compared to no big hassle compared to walmart.

Yes glass cases suck!! Not to mention you can't get niche handheld games there. They maninly sell mainstream titles. And for handhelds its 90% shovelware or kiddy games. I love niche games and a lot you can only get at a gamestop or online.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 k2theswiss
[QUOTE="nextgenjoke"][QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Midnightshade29

This... i never understood this, or people's hatret towards gamestop. I got a 3ds from Gamestop for $70 used... If i couldn't get it that cheap, i wouldn't of bought one (already owned a vita) as I only wanted it for fire emblem, eterian odyessy, castlevania and maybe some other niche non nintendo games. I got it so cheap because I had wracked up 55,000 pts and got a $30 off system coupon and a $25 game coupon from the points. Plus there was already a sale running for the system. The two stacked and i walked out of there with a 3ds and 2 games for around $100... I couldn't do that anywhere else. Best buy and target, wallmart, sell games very expensive. New older games are rip offs there. I would hate to have to shop there and I don't like buying online. I like being able to browse games and look at the back of the boxes not stare at book ends in a locked down glass case. Not to mention that those stores do not cary niche games..which if older can only be bought used... Gamestop has all this covered. Some may say toys r us or places like that... I say HA!!! I was there at x-mas getting my kids gifts, while they did have some games there for cheap, they were 90% E rated games with a sprinkling of T rated games and ZERO M rated. So thats out. And I somehow doubt other gamestores will spring up in convient places all across the country to replace the gameing stores i go to. There is nothing wrong with gamestop. As long as you don't trade in super mainstream old games or buy used games that just came to market soon, then its fine. I like how prices drop there for newer games after a few months. Compare the prices at gamestop to best buy.... best buy even has games that are 3 years old as $60 still, greedy pri@ks. I probably couldn't even get half the games i have bought at retail stores like best buy, target, etc... as a large contingent of my titles are niche handheld jrpgs or niche console games.. We need dedicated gamestores, and they are fun to talk with people about games in too. Where else can you do that with people you never met?

agreed. I like the place, taking part in there deals is nice, only time i think worth trading in with them is when they have the 50% bonus offer. other then that i will trade my stuff in with amazon. Amazon seems to offer better trade in vavlue
nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nextgenjoke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twElwjYpaKI console makers=joke now
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
Gee now why would Gamestop go about saying something like that? Hmmm I wonder. Jesus Christ Renegade, you're such a dumbass.
percuvius2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 percuvius2
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts

Percuvius warns gamestop that their era of RIPPING OFF IDIOTS could significantly diminish.

percuvius2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 percuvius2
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts

Gue1

They already won by selling games that arent infested with anime

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

MS (and no doubt Sony) are looking at the PC market and thinking 'why can't we do that with our consoles!'

The PC market has no used game support and rapidly diminishing retail support (the reason for most of the PC gaming is dieing nonsense). As a result the publishing costs of are far lower and the return is greater on each game sold.

Unlike PC though, if the major console companies push down this route they most likely will not pass on these savings to the customers, in the same way that Steam does for theirs. The digital market is the PC market, the two are one and the same and have evolved around each other. PC gamers have accepted it because we have grown with it, there is nothing alien or unusual about it for us, it's just the way the market has gone. With that said the PC retail market still exists, it hasn't gone completely and will be several years before it does disappear (if it ever does).

As for going always online, that's an unbelievably terrible idea for MS or Sony, it's a terrible idea for PC games as well. This needs to be phased in gradually not hammered on to customers. That's a recipe for disaster that would cost the console manufacturer brave enough to implement it a lot of money. I for one would not be getting an always online required console, especially one with a service that I'd have to pay for. My Xbox 360 has never been online because I will not pay for the xbox live service, in the same way that I would never pay for the Games for Windows Live service.

ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

The next xbox looks like it's going to be a flop. Next gen belongs to the PS4. It will beat the next xbox in both sales and games, just like this gen, except it will probably be 1st place instead of 2nd sales wise.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Meh... Blocking used games.

Who cares? Who buys used games anyway?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#46 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

GamerwillzPS
Retro gamers.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 k2theswiss

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

percuvius2

They already won by selling games that arent infested with anime

lol haha WOW. what a shame....

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

GamerwillzPS
A lot of people. Even a simpleton like you should be able to understand that.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

One of GameStop's main money makers is selling used games. The rumors state that the Xbox 720 will block used games. This is absolutely terrifying to GameStop, as they stand to lose a hell of a lot more than Microsoft does, should the rumors be true.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22810 Posts

System Wars rumor cherry picking... oh joy!

cherrypicking