Gamestop Warns That Microsoft Could Significantly Diminish Appeal For New Xbox

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Getting a game from walmart is garbagenextgenjoke

No it's not. You walk up to the cashier in the electronics department, tell them you want a game, they get it, you pay for it. You're in and out faster than you would be at a Gamestop because nobody is spending 10 minutes per customer trying to convince them to buy the used copy, then sign up for a member card, then subscribe to game informer, then put down a pre-order for Call of Duty.

It should also be mentioned that Wal-Mart is the #1 game retailer. You are in the minority of people who finds buying games there a challenge.

Why do you want a store closing? How would would the industry be better with less stores supporting gaming?nextgenjoke
Gamestop is scummy for video games. Gaming will be in a much better place if the #1 ripper offer of gamers and game makers was forced out of business.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

more than gamestop diminishes  the appeal of gaming in general?

i doubt that.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="nextgenjoke"]Getting a game from walmart is garbage you gotta go find a employee alot of times nobody in the game video game section then get them to unlock glass case with the game you want then physically point out where the game is.lol.Everytime i bought a new game from gamestop walk in there 99% of the time people at desk tell em what you want they know where it's at grab a copy and ring you up. You are in and out getting a game at gamestop compared to no big hassle compared to walmart.Midnightshade29
Yes glass cases suck!! Not to mention you can't get niche handheld games there. They maninly sell mainstream titles. And for handhelds its 90% shovelware or kiddy games. I love niche games and a lot you can only get at a gamestop or online.

This also some Wal-mart stores they don't really get many games at all. I went to Walmart and asked if they had Rockstar Games Collection Edition 1 (They didn't even have that and that is a pretty mainstream game so I went to Gamestop and they had that collection already.

Also I never had a problem with Gamestop but I had problems with EB Games before Gamestop purchased them.

BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts
It's not going to happen. One can't do it without the other without take a huge leap of faith that gamers don't care about this, when, as we have all seen this week, they absolutely do.
-CC-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 -CC-
Member since 2006 • 2048 Posts

Gamestop sucks. Its twenty freaking questions trying to simply buy a game there before you leave.

"would you like to pre order anything" NO

"would you like to buy a warranty for this game only $2.00" NO

"would you like to subscribe to GI" NO

"do you have a membership card" NO

"would you like one" NO

No used games is lame but if it puts GS out of biz then thats a good thing. I miss the small independant "mom and pops" type game stores until GS ran them all out of business.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

Meh... Blocking used games.

Who cares? Who buys used games anyway?

clone01

A lot of people. Even a simpleton like you should be able to understand that.

Trolled.

rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#57 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts

about 50% of their profits come from the used game market. Of course they don't want it to happen. It has nothing to do with them wanting MS to succeed.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#58 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

[QUOTE="nextgenjoke"]Getting a game from walmart is garbageSenor_Kami

No it's not. You walk up to the cashier in the electronics department, tell them you want a game, they get it, you pay for it. You're in and out faster than you would be at a Gamestop because nobody is spending 10 minutes per customer trying to convince them to buy the used copy, then sign up for a member card, then subscribe to game informer, then put down a pre-order for Call of Duty.

It should also be mentioned that Wal-Mart is the #1 game retailer. You are in the minority of people who finds buying games there a challenge.

i have ALLwasy been out of gamestop faster then walmart when just buying something.

Only time i have ever had a faster time was with midnight release. and thats because less people go to walmart then gamestop for them.

I don't think it's Hard to say " i want bla bla NEW and don't want anythign else" that always works for me

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#59 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Gamestop sucks. Its twenty freaking questions trying to simply buy a game there before you leave.

"would you like to pre order anything" NO

"would you like to buy a warranty for this game only $2.00" NO

"would you like to subscribe to GI" NO

"do you have a membership card" NO

"would you like one" NO

No used games is lame but if it puts GS out of biz then thats a good thing. I miss the small independant "mom and pops" type game stores until GS ran them all out of business.

-CC-

What if you say "Hi, I want to buy this game and that's all I want." Would they still ask you questions? I just buy a game and that's it. There was one store that asked me whether I wanted a card to save points or something, so I never go there again. (I really don't want them to prey on me.)

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#60 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
I think it's quite alarming that Gamestop responded to a so-called "Rumor"ShadowDeathX
It's not that alarming when you remember that Gamestop's shares dropped sharply after the rumor started circulating.
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

iVkjoBspUCirj.gifddd

Jankarcop
another Kaz gif for my collection
Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#63 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

How is Gamestop taking out over hundreds of millions of dollars a year a good thing???

How is Hundreds of millions of dollars going back into the games industry not a good thing??

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

Um, no duh. Gamestop makes literally half their money on used games and the other half is mainly physical copies of new games. They have kind of a vested interest in keeping consoles away from DD and used game-friendly

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Sony actually has the patent to block used games. I wonder how Matt Hodges feels about that?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-patents-tech-to-block-used-games-6401992

Wouldn't Microsoft have to purchase the rights from Sony to block used games? lol!!

===============================================

How is Gamestop taking out over hundreds of millions of dollars a year a good thing???

How is Hundreds of millions of dollars going back into the games industry not a good thing??

Ravenlore_basic

How is $100 of million of dollars going to go back to the game industry if millions of gamers don't buy the systems or the games? That's the bigger question.

MarieWolfwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 MarieWolfwood
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
How come people don't complain that Google and Apple make more money than MS and Sony from apps and those are digital only?
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Ravenlore_basic

let's kill gaming culture, retro gaming and give up on our rights for the sake of corporations that don't give a single f*k for you or me. Just think about it... I mean, do you even have the necessary IQ to think straight? We are the ones getting f*ked by this!

An example: DRM was to combat piracy but pirates have found ways around it so at the end it's the consumer the ones getting f*ked by it  not the pirates and the same will happen with Gamestop, they will just find a way around it to keep making money somehow.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

iVkjoBspUCirj.gifddd

Nengo_Flow

You realize everyone is just making fun of him, right?
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

To be pushed to use an always online slavery scheme, the games must be 300+ hours each and top of the top quality with empahsis to gameplay

Anything less and i will not bother

ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"][QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

iVkjoBspUCirj.gifddd

percech

You realize everyone is just making fun of him, right?

I see only praise for Lord Kaz.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

Meh... Blocking used games.

Who cares? Who buys used games anyway?

GamerwillzPS

A lot of people. Even a simpleton like you should be able to understand that.

Trolled.

Nah. You are an idiot, though.
HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

Sony actually has the patent to block used games. I wonder how Matt Hodges feels about that?

Wouldn't Microsoft have to purchase the rights from Sony to block used games? lol!!

blackace

No. Sony may have a patent but it will only be for a particular method or technique of blocking used games like an encryption algorithm or something. Another company can make their own solution without infringing on Sony's patent.

I wouldn't trust Sony for reliability with such things anyway, they store peoples credit card information in plain text files :lol:

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

[QUOTE="blackace"]

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

No. Sony may have a patent but it will only be for a particular method or technique of blocking used games like an encryption algorithm or something. Another company can make their own solution without infringing on Sony's patent.

I wouldn't trust Sony for reliability with such things anyway, they store peoples credit card information in plain text files :lol:

Court information revealed that credit card information was hashed and NOT stored in plain text files. User credentials, with the exception of password and login credentials were the only things stored in plain text. Don't spread misinformation.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Shocking. It's not like a  massive  portion of Gamestop's sales come from used games, or anything.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#75 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
How come people don't complain that Google and Apple make more money than MS and Sony from apps and those are digital only?MarieWolfwood
Huh? Those are tiny games with smawww zelda <3
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#76 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

iVkjoBspUCirj.gifddd

Jankarcop

Ok I take offense to this gif. This is taking things too far. Nobody is worthy of replacing the face of Segata Sanshiro. Nobody. Not even the almighty Kaz. Things have gotten way out of hand here.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Probably M$ wants everyone that owns thier 3rd xbox to pay them for xlive. It's most likely an attempt to get more people to get xlive. 

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 lundy86_4

Probably M$ wants everyone that owns thier 3rd xbox to pay them for xlive. It's most likely an attempt to get more people to get xlive. 

clr84651

Could you explain this?

Used or not, if you want MP, you pay for Xbox Live.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

[QUOTE="blackace"]

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Blackace will desperately Scratch and claw to repel anything negative about MS or XBox and exaggerate anything negative about PlayStation. Don't waste your time with him,  it's like talking to a brick wall. 

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 clr84651

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

lundy86_4

Could you explain this?

If they require their 3rd xbox to have an internet connection to be able to play it as rumors are saying then M$ is thinking that by doing that they will get more people to want Xlive. If all systems have an internet connection then it's likely that a very high percentage of them would get Xlive. Making M$ more money. Same thing they've been doing by making people only buy their HDDs, requiring everyone to pay to play online, charging extra to have the controller rechargable, $200 add on for HDDVD, $100 for a WiFi connector, charged to be able to get themes on your 360 etc. It's all about M$ making more money from games, xlive subscriptions, and by making people buy only their add ons and stuff. 

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
I look forward to gamestop closing its doors next gen.Pittfan666
Pathetic, you would be happy that thousands of people would lose their jobs? Get over yourself and realize how many other businesses would close their doors as well
ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

clr84651

Could you explain this?

If they require their 3rd xbox to have an internet connection to be able to play it as rumors are saying then M$ is thinking that by doing that they will get more people to want Xlive. If all systems have an internet connection then it's likely that a very high percentage of them would get Xlive. Making M$ more money. Same thing they've been doing by making people only buy their HDDs, requiring everyone to pay to play online, charging extra to have the controller rechargable, $200 add on for HDDVD, $100 for a WiFi connector, charged to be able to get themes on your 360 etc. It's all about M$ making more money from games, xlive subscriptions, and by making people buy only their add ons and stuff. 

This company just can't be trusted anymore. Hope no one buys their next Konsole.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

clr84651

Could you explain this?

Odd thought pattern. Where is your evidence linking an always-connected device likely making people want to play for an online service connected to said device?

Those things you listed aren't the same at all.

If they wanted everybody to pay, they simply wouldn't offer a free alternative, i.e. Silver.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
gamestop is damage controlling for their wallets
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 clr84651

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Could you explain this?

lundy86_4

Odd thought pattern. Where is your evidence linking an always-connected device likely making people want to play for an online service connected to said device?

Those things you listed aren't the same at all.

If they wanted everybody to pay, they simply wouldn't offer a free alternative, i.e. Silver.

Then why do you think M$ would would force people to have an online connection to be able to play games. Why do you think they would stop allowing used games to be played. If Sony, M$, Nintendo, or PC stopped the use of used games it's because they're wanting to make more money. M$ is well known to do business the way it can make a maximum profit off of their products, moreso than any other company. 

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 lundy86_4

Then why do you think M$ would would force people to have an online connection to be able to play games. Why do you think they would stop allowing used games to be played. If Sony, M$, Nintendo, or PC stopped the use of used games it's because they're wanting to make more money. M$ is well known to do business the way it can make a maximum profit off of their products, moreso than any other company. 

clr84651

Further piracy prevention. That's probably the largest. The 360 was pretty easy to crack and play pirated versions of games. Going online potentially brought your system under the ban-hammer, where it's bricked.

Stopping used games means more money for them. See: Sony and online passes.

----

I wasn't contesting them wanting to make more money. That's common sense.  How  they make that money is what I questioned, and you concluding an always-on connection meant they could charge  everybody  for Gold was kinda silly.

Gonna need a link for them doing it more than  any other company.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 clr84651

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

lundy86_4

Further piracy prevention. That's probably the largest. The 360 was pretty easy to crack and play pirated versions of games. Going online potentially brought your system under the ban-hammer, where it's bricked.

Stopping used games means more money for them. See: Sony and online passes.

----

I wasn't contesting them wanting to make more money. That's common sense.  How  they make that money is what I questioned, and you concluding an always-on connection meant they could charge  everybody  for Gold was kinda silly.

Gonna need a link for them doing it more than  any other company.

OK,piracy prevention makes them more money, only playing new games makes them more money, and more people are likely to have Xlive as well. It's all about making more money. 

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 lundy86_4

OK,piracy prevention makes them more money, only playing new games makes them more money, and more people are likely to have Xlive as well. It's all about making more money. 

clr84651

Which I said. Do you read the whole post?

However, linking an always-on console to Xbox Live Gold memberships is rather... Lacking... In information... God damn! Silver memberships are online and can be used for online features  other  than MP/paid services.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 clr84651

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

lundy86_4

Which I said. Do you read the whole post?

However, linking an always-on console to Xbox Live Gold memberships is rather... Lacking... In information... God damn! Silver memberships are online and can be used for online features  other  than MP/paid services.

More money is the motivation to MS making these changes. I'm sure Sony has been looking into how to spend less and make more. It's rather evident with all the news of them selling buildings and making other decisions. I'll count myself lucky if Sony doesn't start doing it more. 

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 lundy86_4

More money is the motivation to MS making these changes. I'm sure Sony has been looking into how to spend less and make more. It's rather evident with all the news of them selling buildings and making other decisions. I'll count myself lucky if Sony doesn't start doing it more. 

clr84651

Of course they want to make money. However, you haven't explained the correlation between "always-on DRM" and:

clr84651

Do you see the disconnect?