Gamespot's Killzone 2 Review Made Me Quit Gaming.

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Graedien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Graedien
Member since 2002 • 786 Posts

Ever since coming to college (halfway through my Spring term of Freshman year) I have played very few single player action/rpg/strategy games. Mostly Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Halo 3, etc; the social and party games. But recently I have been making an effort to get back into single player gaming with a vengeance. Only to find I really don't find them all that appealing anymore. And now I know why!

Thanks, Gamespot. Thanks for in your review writing the following under "Negative" for a game which recieved a 9.0 (GRRRREAT!)

Forgettable story and characters

Really. REALLY. You're going to give a game a NINE... despite it having a forgettable story and unremarkable characters. Thats like me giving Valkyrie with Tom Cruise four stars. Here's Rotten Tomatoes' summary of that movie, "Given the subject matter, Valkyrie could have been an outstanding historical thriller, but settles for being a mildly entertaining, but disposable yarn." Sounds almost like it had... FORGETTABLE STORY AND CHARACTERS.

Oh but its at a 60%. Because you see, I as a gamer am not in it for the thrill of killing nameless foes. I am not in it for shooting cool guns. I am not in it for playing as a cool looking character.

I play games to CARE about the people I play as. To hate the people I must kill. To connect, as I would in a movie, but to take it that extra step. To be able to act on what the story and characters make me feel.

Not just to be able to act at all.

And so I've realized that all these years when I was claiming that games should be seen on the same level as film in terms of artistic value... they still SHOULD be. But they never will be, because apparently not even Gamespot seems to think that emotion is an important enough characteristic in a game to bring it below AAA status when lacking. And of course the people MAKING the games won't value that, because as long as Gamespot supports them hiring more texture-shaders and bump-mappers and firing writers and artists, and the 5 million people who will buy this game support the companies behind it, no one sends that message.

Oh. And if you liked Valkyrie? Then enjoy Killzone 2. Sounds like it'll be right up your alley.

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts

???ok ill put my 2 cents on this then

Killzone 2 is great but nothing special IMO

Avatar image for quicksilverXP24
quicksilverXP24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 quicksilverXP24
Member since 2003 • 322 Posts
Do you write this response for every shooter that comes out?
Graedien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Graedien

Do you write this response for every shooter that comes out?quicksilverXP24

Nope only one's whose reviews I actually read, and which have received 9s or above, and have "Forgettable Story and Characters" in the Negatives.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Quit gaming over a review, I didn't quit when FarCry 2 got a high score, or Halo 3, or MGS4. O well your choice you won't be missed.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
Story is not needed in games. If anything the overrall story of a game can excuse bad gameplay if its down right.
thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
Its a game not a moive (something MGS4 could have learned from), and such its intense gameplay, great online and so forth, you know GAMEPLAY, make up for the weak story and characters. Just like in Mass Effect the opposite was ture, the depth and seer brilliance of the sorty and characters helped make up for some gamplay flaws.
Graedien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Graedien
Quit gaming over a review, I didn't quit when FarCry 2 got a high score, or Halo 3, or MGS4. O well your choice you won't be missed.millerlight89
I've just never seen it so bluntly put; the straw that broke the camels back. Only one very small, light straw. But it illuminates a very valid point.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 millerlight89
[QUOTE="millerlight89"]Quit gaming over a review, I didn't quit when FarCry 2 got a high score, or Halo 3, or MGS4. O well your choice you won't be missed.Graedien
I've just never seen it so bluntly put; the straw that broke the camels back. Only one very small, light straw. But it illuminates a very valid point.

well i'm sorry, but I don't see th epoint in quitting over a review.
Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Stumpt25
Member since 2006 • 1482 Posts
So what? Bioshock had forgettable gameplay with an awesome story. That got a 9.0 (deservedly so) Now that i've finished the Killzone 2 campaign, i can safely say that the weak storyline has been DRAMATICALLY overstated, it's not that bad - and i thought the ending was seriously epic. Killzone 2 deserves AAA, i think actually that its a shame not to receive 9.5.
Graedien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Graedien
Its not this review. I had been getting to that 60% hard-bit-you-have-to-push-through and just not feeling any desire to actually do it. Now I realize why, when I couldn't put my finger on it before. Because I don't care. And its the emotion and characters that let me.
unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts
You quit gaming yet you post on a gaming forum? Anyway u bought a shooter for SP, thats is like saying u bought a JRPG for MP! You just dont do that!
Graedien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Graedien
You quit gaming yet you post on a gaming forum? Anyway u bought a shooter for SP, thats is like saying u bought a JRPG for MP! You just dont do that!unknown37
Very good point, in this day and age there certainly isn't much else to buy. Thanks for adding.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 millerlight89
You quit gaming yet you post on a gaming forum? Anyway u bought a shooter for SP, thats is like saying u bought a JRPG for MP! You just dont do that!unknown37
This is not true, there are plenty of FPS games i've bought for SP, STALKER, FEAR 2, FEAR,Clear Sky,Crysis, Far Cry 2.
lolfaqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lolfaqs
Member since 2009 • 1776 Posts

It's a FPS in space.... What more story do you need other than "Space Nazis attacked us, so now we're taking the fight to their planet!! Rawr!"

You want story? Go read Dostoyevsky, Pushkin, Chekhov, Ibsen, etc. That's what I do when I want a good story. But when I want to have fun and play a game, I turn on my PS3.

IronSalamander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IronSalamander
Member since 2008 • 496 Posts
So you're going to dismiss gameplay, graphics, sound, physics, immersion, and multiplayer all because of a weak story? please, get out of here.
TheOwnerOner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheOwnerOner
Member since 2007 • 2921 Posts
The multiplayer alone deserves a 9 /thread
Inger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Inger1
Member since 2005 • 941 Posts

There are other merits which can make a game worthwhile or "AAA". Are not video games valued for the gameplay? Of course a strong story is almost always a plus but honestly, some games do not aim for the artistic masterpiece of storytelling. Instead, they focus on other aspects to make the game enjoyable. KZ2 is one of those games.

I suppose any game with a weak story but a strong rating is considered poor in your eyes. You definately do not want to try out L4D, TF2, BF2 or BF2142... heck any multiplayer oriented game for that matter is out. MMOs... barely any storyline there. 95% of shooters, also are out the window.

Honestly, you are putting too much stock into reviews. Not only that but since you seem to only value storylines and character depths you've eliminated a lot of really strong, fun titles. But hey, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
Yes, it sure isn't MGS4 when it comes to storytelling. But still, the story isn't bad. It's got far more depth than, say, Halo 3, which pretty much had a non-existent story (and you TC actually liked it!).
thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
[QUOTE="IronSalamander"]So you're going to dismiss gameplay, graphics, sound, physics, immersion, all because of a weak story? please, get out of here.

Im a big fan of story, but even i must agree with this. Some games are good enough without one, simple as. When people go too story heavy it can sometimes workout as a convoluted mess such as MGS4 (wtf was that plot? if that was a moive people would have laught it out of the building) or many many MANY JRPGs
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

So, this is just ANOTHER POST about "I hate PS3, and I hate the fact a website likes one of their games! I told my friends to hate it, and it's getting harder since the PS3 is getting good games! I am going to quit gaming before my friends notice I don't know what I'm talking about."

Why don't you try actually playing through KZ2 FIRST TC...but you don't have PS3, do you?

You listed Gears of War (GeoW) an 8.7, and that game series has one of the most pathetic stories in all of creation (GeoW is one of my favorite games of all time this gen, though.)

TC, you talk about Smash Bros., Halo, and Mario Kart. It seems right off the bat, you like Wii and 360, then you say you are mad at ONE REVIEW (Which is funny, since KZ2 is getting good reviews everywhere) due to the forgetable story according to GS.

I hate to burst your bubble, but Many, many folks think HALO is a forgettable story, but since the MP is so good, they keep playing it. Play through HALO 1 on XBOX again, it was a pretty forgettable story. Only HALO NUTS love it, read the comics, read the novels and try to make sense of a universe that uses SHOTGUNS in the future, yet we travel the speed of light.

I don't care much FOR MANY game stories, including your faves Mario Kart's or Smash Bros. Story, but whatever, To each his own.

I do like HALO as much as you, and I haven't purchased KZ2 yet, but your whole thread fails. GAMEPLAY is most crucial in a game, then story.

Avatar image for Manly-manly-man
Manly-manly-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Manly-manly-man
Member since 2006 • 3477 Posts
Too bad that's pretty much what Killzone 2 has been scoring everywhere. The Metacritic average is 91%.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Its not dependant on story. The story serves its purpose as does the characters. /thread
TheOwnerOner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheOwnerOner
Member since 2007 • 2921 Posts
Yes, it sure isn't MGS4 when it comes to storytelling. But still, the story isn't bad. It's got far more depth than, say, Halo 3, which pretty much had a non-existent story (and you TC actually liked it!).metalgear-solid
No, Halo 3 had a mediocre story, K2 was non-excistent
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skrat_01
try to make sense of a universe that uses SHOTGUNS in the future, yet we travel the speed of light.SolidTy
Hmmm wow, when I think about it. That IS pretty stupid isn't it. Hmm.....
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"] try to make sense of a universe that uses SHOTGUNS in the future, yet we travel the speed of light.skrat_01

It's all good, I thought Halo was fun due to MP, and I have beat all the Halo's on Legendary my first run through, but the story really is lame. I can't say if KZ2 is in fact worse or not, as I haven't bought it yet, but I don't expect shooters to be UBER STORY.

Genetic engineering...Check.

Bionic enhancements...Check

Super Alien Menace which we stole tech from...Check.

Let's travel the speed of light, land on a Halo World, and SHOTGUN them Bastards!@!!!

The whole point is to put players in a situation so they can shoot a bunch of stuff....but yeah, Halo has a lot more flaws than that. Fun game though, I Own the CE versions of Halo 2 and Halo 3 (Helmet FTW!).

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts
You know the overall quality of shooters aren't contingent on story and characters. It's about balance, mechanics, and fun factor. Still, I very much enjoyed the story and characters. Some of the relationships and twists are mature and complex. If you know the backstory then you'd enjoy it more :).
CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

/threadskrat_01

nobody should ever use that, ever, ESPECIALLY when they come and post in the thread after they have ended it. honestly, it makes you look like a twelve year old.

anyway, story is for the most part irrelevant to games by their nature for me. they are games and not stories. if i want a story, i go and read/watch one and enjoy the narrative. can games contain good stories? yes, definitely. in fact a good story can add enormously to the overall experience; for example, MGS3 was an incredibly good game that happened to have a compelling story (im sure others will disagree with the specific example but the principle i think is sound). but in no way is story essential to the experience, especially in a shooting game. the way you describe yourself not playing games to fire guns or shoot people... maybe you shouldn't be looking at games where that is the primary objective? just throwing that out there

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts
[QUOTE="metalgear-solid"]Yes, it sure isn't MGS4 when it comes to storytelling. But still, the story isn't bad. It's got far more depth than, say, Halo 3, which pretty much had a non-existent story (and you TC actually liked it!).TheOwnerOner
No, Halo 3 had a mediocre story, K2 was non-excistent

KZ2's story isn't non-existent. It can be considered shallow if you're looking for narrative akin to BioShock and Half-Life. But the substance there is really cool and mature.
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
The romance scenes in GTA4 were practically non-existant, yet the game still got a 10. How did this happen? Oh yeah, the people who bought GTA4 didn't get it for the romance scenes. Nobody bought Killzone 2 for the story in the same way nobody bought Mario Galaxy for the violent scenes. I don't see a problem here. If you really want a shooter with a story, get Mass Effect.
agff9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 agff9
Member since 2006 • 514 Posts
TC , Killzone 1 scored 9.0 because of other things , like gameplay , online , graphic etc. What if KZ2 have good story ? 9.5 ? You compare KZ2 to Valkyrie , bad move... ,that movie is bad at all .... bad story , bad acting (Tom Cruise...) etc.
loudharley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 loudharley
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
Ive never gotten all wrapped up in a games story.Sure it helps to have a good story but if a game isnt fun then whats the point in playing it.If u look back at were games started they originally didnt have storys,they just had to be fun.In a fps i enjoy good controls,shooting guns and looking at pretty graphics,if the game has a bad story its no big deal.If i wanna good story ill read a book, or watch a movie.A good story can make a game more interesting but it isnt really needed.Most of the games ive enjoyed the most really havent had much as far as storys.If a review makes u wanna turn against games than go for it,thats how u feel and i guess thats important to u,its just i dont understand why so many people complain about bad storys in games when i have yet to find a good one.People should enjoy this crap for what it is,mindless entertainment thats just fun to play.Thats honestly what games are in my opinion,mindless,fun,time killers.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 skrat_01

[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="SolidTy"] try to make sense of a universe that uses SHOTGUNS in the future, yet we travel the speed of light.SolidTy

It's all good, I thought Halo was fun due to MP, and I have beat all the Halo's on Legendary my first run through, but the story really is lame. I can't say if KZ2 is in fact worse or not, as I haven't bought it yet, but I don't expect shooters to be UBER STORY.

Let's travel the speed of light, land on a Halo World, and SHOTGUN them Bastards!@!!!

The whole point is to put players in a situation so they can shoot a bunch of stuff....but yeah, Halo has a lot more flaws than that. Fun game though, I Own the CE versions of Halo 2 and Halo 3 (Helmet FTW!).

Oh wow wow, im not taking a bite at Halo lol, im just making an observation of games in general. When games try to make their context plausible, there are always blunders that simply not obvious as they should be.... because they are so common. Hell its kind of opened my eyes a little.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 skrat_01
nobody should ever use that, ever, ESPECIALLY when they come and post in the thread after they have ended it. honestly, it makes you look like a twelve year old.CaptainHarley
And? Simply solidifying a statement. If its immature or not - well its purley subjective isn't it?
DOF_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DOF_power
Member since 2008 • 804 Posts

Super Alien Menace...Check.

SolidTy

System Shock 1 had those things in 1994, as did System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. They also had stories.

Nothing new under the sun, but yes the Halo MP (for the PC) was great.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Super Alien Menace...Check.

DOF_power

System Shock 1 had those things in 1994, as did System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. They also had stories.

Nothing new under the sun, but yes the Halo MP (for the PC) was great.

I loved SS and Deus Ex....I don't know if you think Halo turned me on to FPS, but that would be a giant negatory.I have been playing FPS isnce their inception on PC, with Wolfenstein 3D, and Doom.

What you just mentioned, SS adn DE, had better stories, and Choices in the games. In any event, I don't expect the SHOOTER Genre to deliver Oscar Calibur Stories like the TC, the concept of a SHOOTER is to SHOOT STUFF. Writing around that can be tricky (But DE, Bioshock, and SS had good stories, but one might argue that the SHOOTER GAMEPLAY wasn't as polished.)

It's a trade off I suppose.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

skrat_01

Oh wow wow, im not taking a bite at Halo lol, im just making an observation of games in general. When games try to make their context plausible, there are always blunders that simply not obvious as they should be.... because they are so common. Hell its kind of opened my eyes a little.

No, it is quite silly, but we tend to overlook it because as you said, the genre is defined by those elements, lol.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
A review made you quit gaming? Come on....
Avatar image for LightReflection
LightReflection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LightReflection
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts
Sweet, one less prude to care about.
ras2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ras2009
Member since 2006 • 2772 Posts
Quit gaming over a review, I didn't quit when FarCry 2 got a high score, or Halo 3, or MGS4. O well your choice you won't be missed.millerlight89
I think Halo 3 deserved the score it got....
RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts
You said it well : you play a game to get involved with characters , you care about the story ...I for one don't give a crap about story and characters , some are in the middle ground , that's why you see very few 7's and a hell lot of 9's +.BTW why do you care about the review of a game you don't even have , get a life man , seriously.
Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts
You take reviews way to serious. While I agree with you that Killzone 2 is far from a game that anyone should remember 10 years from now on, and that it spells generic with capital letters (much like Halo, mind you). There was a time when I actually cared about reviews, let alone Gamespots...but that's long gone.
Graedien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Graedien

So, this is just ANOTHER POST about "I hate PS3, and I hate the fact a website likes one of their games! I told my friends to hate it, and it's getting harder since the PS3 is getting good games! I am going to quit gaming before my friends notice I don't know what I'm talking about."

Why don't you try actually playing through KZ2 FIRST TC...but you don't have PS3, do you?

You listed Gears of War (GeoW) an 8.7, and that game series has one of the most pathetic stories in all of creation (GeoW is one of my favorite games of all time this gen, though.)

TC, you talk about Smash Bros., Halo, and Mario Kart. It seems right off the bat, you like Wii and 360, then you say you are mad at ONE REVIEW (Which is funny, since KZ2 is getting good reviews everywhere) due to the forgetable story according to GS.

I hate to burst your bubble, but Many, many folks think HALO is a forgettable story, but since the MP is so good, they keep playing it. Play through HALO 1 on XBOX again, it was a pretty forgettable story. Only HALO NUTS love it, read the comics, read the novels and try to make sense of a universe that uses SHOTGUNS in the future, yet we travel the speed of light.

I don't care much FOR MANY game stories, including your faves Mario Kart's or Smash Bros. Story, but whatever, To each his own.

I do like HALO as much as you, and I haven't purchased KZ2 yet, but your whole thread fails. GAMEPLAY is most crucial in a game, then story.

SolidTy
To you and everyone who made similar points: Killzone 2 deserves a 9.0 for sure. Its that fact that makes me lose faith in Gamespot and gaming as a whole though. If you can't understand an argument on this level (i.e. more than SCORE + SYSTEM = OPPINION) then... sorry. Its the fact that a game CAN be good enough without a good story in this day and age, and that 3 pages of posts and Gamespot will back up this 9.0 review. Clearly the review IS very fair, and this game IS a AAA title. Its just that in my perfect world (and the world of other gamers I know, before you go BLOG IT LOL) it wouldn't have been made, reviewed, and enjoyed this way. End of an era for me, but not for 99% of gamers. I get that.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Graedien

To you and everyone who made similar points: Killzone 2 deserves a 9.0 for sure. Its that fact that makes me lose faith in Gamespot and gaming as a whole though. If you can't understand an argument on this level (i.e. more than SCORE + SYSTEM = OPPINION) then... sorry. Its the fact that a game CAN be good enough without a good story in this day and age, and that 3 pages of posts and Gamespot will back up this 9.0 review. Clearly the review IS very fair, and this game IS a AAA title. Its just that in my perfect world (and the world of other gamers I know, before you go BLOG IT LOL) it wouldn't have been made, reviewed, and enjoyed this way. End of an era for me, but not for 99% of gamers. I get that.

If story is SO Crucial to you, then why do you like Halo, GeoW, and Mario Kart? Could it be that you like the games on the System you own?

If that's not the case, and you aren't biased, then Metal Gear Solid 4 is the most AMAZING game you've ever played, right?

GS loved it too, like many sites.

rgame1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rgame1
Member since 2008 • 2526 Posts
ok
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#46 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

Do you quit gaming every time you read a review?

Games tend to have crappy stories, especially FPSes (obviously one or two exceptions). They aren't about complex narrative or philosophies, they're about having fun shooting everything else on the screen.

agff9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 agff9
Member since 2006 • 514 Posts
I play games to CARE about the people I play as. To hate the people I must kill. To connect, as I would in a movie, but to take it that extra step. To be able to act on what the story and characters make me feel.

Not just to be able to act at all

Graedien

What are those games ?

Rhubarb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Rhubarb9
Member since 2006 • 2352 Posts

Ever since coming to college (halfway through my Spring term of Freshman year) I have played very few single player action/rpg/strategy games. Mostly Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Halo 3, etc; the social and party games.

Graedien

:roll: well luckily you wouldn't play anything exclusive to ps3 anyway
Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts
[QUOTE="TheOwnerOner"]The multiplayer alone deserves a 9 /thread

Indeed .
Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ninten007
Member since 2005 • 3129 Posts

Just another person who is upset KZ 2 did not flop.

Besides those games you mentioned such as Mario Kart, Halo 3, Smash Bros have basically no stories and them and you cant get emotionally attached to the characters in them. But yet why do you play them? For the gameplay right? Thats exactly what KZ 2 has, great gameplay.