Gamespot's Killzone 2 Review Made Me Quit Gaming.

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#101 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Unreal Tounry, Counter Strike, Team Fortress, Day of Defeat, Timesplitters, the Battlefield Series, Rainbow Six, GRAW, The Call of Duty series...

I could keep going with all of the great series and games that have a forgetable story yet are still a blast to play. If you want a real story, go play an RPG. Don't be looking to any FPS to have a great story. Some do, but mostly a story is just a placeholder to explain why we are shooting things.

darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts
you're going to quit gaming...due to a poorly written review? :| um,ok... And I was fairly shocked that it got a 9.0 despite saying the story was forgettablem, but, as long as the multiplayer makes up for it, then the 9.0 is justified. but it needs to have really excellent multiplayer though, which KZ2 apparantly has.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#103 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
lol... Comparing movies to video games... Hahahahaha.
dackchaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 dackchaar
Member since 2005 • 3668 Posts
Difference is, killzone 2 is a shooter.
angry_fork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 angry_fork
Member since 2008 • 2184 Posts
Dude, you said you've mostly played Mario Kart. Mario Kart's story doesn't exist, wanna know why? Because the gameplay backs it up. Same thing applies to FPS, everyone knows FPS usually don't have stellar stories. They're simply not needed like they are on RPG's.
kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#106 kansasdude2009
Member since 2006 • 11802 Posts

As much as I agree, quitting gaming is a bit extreme.

I have always been a single player nut... it's why I like Nintendo so much: Mario, Zelda, Metroid - three of the greatest single player experiences around today. I've never really cared about multiplayer because i'm not a very social person, but you have to remember that many people are and that is why Killzone 2 exists. It obviously has one of the best multiplayer experiences to date, and THAT is why it got a 9.0.

If you want better single player experiences, don't buy a PS3: Killzone and Resistance are incredibly generic, LBP is based around its online community, Ratchet, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, etc. are all average game (from what I have played). If MGS4 is worth a few hundred dollars for your single player needs, I say go for it! But until the PS3 gets God of War 3... i'll be sitting on the sidelines.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

[QUOTE="quicksilverXP24"]Do you write this response for every shooter that comes out?Graedien

Nope only one's whose reviews I actually read, and which have received 9s or above, and have "Forgettable Story and Characters" in the Negatives.

So your going to ignore the fact that the reviewer thought the game did everything else flawlessly, above and beyond what other games have done...graphics, multiplayer, enviroments, ext. Yet you feel it should be much much lower because it has a poor character build...seriously use your imagination and you can give the enemies a identity very easily. They are the people trying to take over your world, now your brining the storm back to them. There you go, you know as much about your enemy as most soldiers in any war know, the point in war is to demonize the opposition, because if not you start to care, if you start to care you might not want to shoot. If you don't shoot someone else may not be so caring...and he may be the one giving the order to shoot. Did you think that may be part of the "Story"? Even if not, whats the harm in using your own imagination to add some extra zing...people these days expect everyone to do it for them.
Hellboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#108 Hellboard
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
[QUOTE="Hellboard"][QUOTE="markop2003"]

They could also use particle weapons which discharge a cloud of shrappnel like a shotgun but do so with much smaller particles (sometimes the size of single ions) at a much higher spead by using electromagnets. Designs were made for these back in the early 1900s with the ammo being liquid mercuary and tungsten and they're currently developing them and Lockeed Martin is making a huge facility to develop them so they should be fully developed in the time Halo is setmarkop2003

sorry to break it for you but what exactly is more of a must in a fps than a shotgun?

The use of a shotgun is basically just the game mechanics of slow rate of fire, slow reload, high damage nd large spread. It dosn't actually have to be a shot gun to fulfill those requirements, it could be a regular rifle fillled with swarms of flys carrying little bombs, it has the same gameplay mechanics but is nowhere near the same weapon

then it wouldnt be a shoty in the game....

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#109 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
GOod for you. I loved Killzone 2's single player because of the gameplay. Not the characters or the story.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#110 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Surprise, stories are taking second place nowadays to lackluster, repetitive gameplay. Its a real sham.e
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#111 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
Even though we are on Gamespot, I can't see how anyone can trust ONLY them, but I didn't quit gaming though.
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 swamplord666
Member since 2007 • 1873 Posts

i can't believe that you find it shocking that an FPS doesn't have a good story... A vaste majority of shooters have bad stories. Halo 3? Crysis? Gears? Yet those games are rated really well because they play well and people have FUN playing them.

If you want a fantastic story, go play an RPG or an action game.

And I'm sorry but the movie reference is not valid. Valkyrie is a drama. Action films don't need a story, but you go watch it for the wow factor.

Avatar image for hohohohohhohoho
hohohohohhohoho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 hohohohohhohoho
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

Quake 1/2 have a story? ahhh who need's one aslong as there's the gameplay/level design.

masterflame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 masterflame10
Member since 2006 • 392 Posts
The story/campaign for this game is ridiculously underrated. Sure, it's no MGS, but I'm loving it so far.
swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#116 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts
9.0 is an awesome score anyway.
zatorys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#117 zatorys
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts
so ...............its the end of the world ?
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
Gaming will sorely miss you, but really your beef is with that reviewer.
Avatar image for hohohohohhohoho
hohohohohhohoho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 hohohohohhohoho
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

Halo's story didnt make any sense to me, but if you want a fps with a cool story is unreal 2 the awakening dont let gamespot's bs review be ur opinion.

That game still kicks ass even today, still have graphics on par with source engine.

awmannn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#120 awmannn
Member since 2008 • 472 Posts
I'm also tired of seeing all of these generic shooter games get such good reviews. It seems all of them are just knock-offs of knock-offs before them, now. There's almost no originality in these games anymore.
Xolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Xolver
Member since 2005 • 2052 Posts
Soooo... Mario Kart and Smash Bros, huh?
Avatar image for ChrisSpartan117
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ChrisSpartan117
Member since 2008 • 4519 Posts

You complain about Killzone's story, yet your avatar is from Super Mario Bros. 3, which had a weak story(though better than the average Mario title because it at least did something slightly different over Peach's state), and you've played Mario Kart, which had NO STORY WHATSOEVER and even Mario Party has a story to some of their games, Halo, which while having a story that was better than most games was still nothing to write about, and Smash Bros., which again had almost no story, and the Subspace Emerissary story read like a Naruto fanfic on DeivantART.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Who cares? :|

You're quitting gaming over someone else's OPINION do you see how silly that sounds?

Uh, no. He isn't. Reading comprehension here is as low as usual. He's complaining about the general state of gaming and that it's basically fine for developers not to put any effort into a story. Not about a single review. And what's up with this "who cares" stuff? You obviously cared enough to write an answer. And it's not like we all share some epic knowledge and wisdom here or something. Everybody is just rambling. You shouldn't "care" about any post more than another.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#124 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
I'm also tired of seeing all of these generic shooter games get such good reviews. It seems all of them are just knock-offs of knock-offs before them, now. There's almost no originality in these games anymore.awmannn
This post is full of win(even though I haven't played KZ2 yet).
gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts

Quake 1/2 have a story? ahhh who need's one aslong as there's the gameplay/level design.

hohohohohhohoho
Quake 2 DID have a story (a story which in my opinion worked far better than Quake 4) Just because there is no in game narrative, there was an actual story.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#126 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts
Games don't need to have good stories. Movies do.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Have you looked at most the games out there? Gears has a trash story but good scores, Halo is crap for a story as well but look great score. GTA4 and MGS4 both had solid story's while being great games so they got 10's instead of 9's like the others.
XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#128 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts
Story is not needed in games. If anything the overrall story of a game can excuse bad gameplay if its down right.JangoWuzHere
Well, it depends on the game. It wasn't really needed for games like Pacman or Asteroids. lol!! For a game this vast, there should be a decent story to follow, especially considering how many missions you have to complete. You should be learning more about the men you control while on the way to completely your objectives. Unlike an RPG though, a shooter doesn't usually concentrate much on the story as it does on the gameplay, graphics and sound. The story is maybe 15% of a FPS game, while for an RPG it's probably about 35%. So that's why the score was still pretty high. If this was an RPG, the game would have probably gotten an 8 or less score if the story and character development was bad.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts
You're playing a shooter. If you want a story play a genre where storyline is more important, like a jrpg or survival horror game.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#130 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
I do agree Graedien. One of the big points to MGS4's 10 is the incredible wrapping up of the story. Well if KZ2 has a bad story/characters then shouldn't that detract from it a little? It does seem uneven. For the record I really enjoy KZ2, but I am primarily a single player gamer who wants to play an active part in these stories. The characters just don't grasp me in KZ2, as they did in the Halo games. Still haven't finished the campaign yet so I won't really try to give it a score on my own. I do recommend it to anyone who likes shooters, it's great fun.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#131 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I disagree. Killzone 2's story isn't as forgettable as the reviewer mentioned, perhaps the review himself forgot about the story because of the gameplay which is obviously dominant. In an FPS like Killzone, you can get the main idea of the story regardless, the scene is a gritty war between humans and Helghast, the story? You're taking the fight to them. That's all you need to know.
RobNBankz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 RobNBankz
Member since 2008 • 483 Posts
Tissues?
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#133 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
Welcome to the new world. No memorable characters? No problem. No good story? No problem. Great online multiplayer? Yes! Great guns? Yes! Woohoo 9.0!
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
[QUOTE="walkingdream"]

???ok ill put my 2 cents on this then

Killzone 2 is great but nothing special IMO

yes, but does that deserve a 9.0? no, I think gamespot rates their games based on the scale of the hype.
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#135 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

Welcome to the new world. No memorable characters? No problem. No good story? No problem. Great online multiplayer? Yes! Great guns? Yes! Woohoo 9.0! Bigboi500

Sounds like someone doesn't like FPSes.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#136 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Sadly, it seems okay for shooters to have a craptastic story and characters, even though we've had shooters with both a great story and cast of characters. But we still seem to look over those few great ones and let others slide. With that said, the gameplay in KZ2 is ace, but the SP should be judged more on its story and characters, no doubt.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#137 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts
KZ2 is your average shooter that got alot of publicity. I hate FPS games with an almost non existant story, and im still not sure what the plot in KZ2 is after four hours of playing it.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#138 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Welcome to the new world. No memorable characters? No problem. No good story? No problem. Great online multiplayer? Yes! Great guns? Yes! Woohoo 9.0! WAIW

Sounds like someone doesn't like FPSes.

I enjoy a few really good ones now and then. I'm very disappointed in GS reviews lately and what they deem as quality. I have nothing against FPSs but GS really has been blinded by hype over the last year or so imo.