Gamespot OVERTAKES IGN as The Most Visited Gaming Site in The Industry

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fiyerman48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fiyerman48
Member since 2010 • 224 Posts

http://gamerlimit.com/2010/03/gamespot-overtakes-ign-as-the-most-visited-gaming-site/

Gamespot, after many years of wrangling with IGN has finally taken a lengthy lead in traffic rankings. Gamespot has now held onto the number 1 Alexa (non-poker) gaming site traffic positionfor a solid month.

Could this be a sign of quality returning to Gamespot, or just a blackhole of a site consuming everything in its path?

I know there is a lot of hate toward traffic counters like Alexa, and I must admit, Alexa isn't the most reliable source for traffic stats, but generally, for the top 5,000 sites, it is pretty accurate.

Interested where your favorite gaming site sits? Well be sure to check out the Alexa gaming site

Just thought System Wars would like to know this. You can go back to fighting the good fight now.8)

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
How sad. Gamespot and IGN are two of the worst sites I've ever been to in terms of quality journalism. It kind of makes me sad to know I contributed to this ranking.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
idk, i like its forum and i blog here (i dont really like the system but w/e), i think i rarely spend time doing anything else. then again, i dont visit IGN as much as i used to.
gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
O NOES
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

GS is pretty bad as far as reviews, and news. The only thing going for them is the profiles, forums etc. Although, I will agree that GS usually makes a good choice for GOTY. The only 2 exceptions I can think of are the last 2 years.

peanutbudduh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 peanutbudduh
Member since 2010 • 353 Posts
Well GS and Gamefaqs are combined so...IGN is still better.
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
How sad. Gamespot and IGN are two of the worst sites I've ever been to in terms of quality journalism. It kind of makes me sad to know I contributed to this ranking.savebattery
I visit Gamespot for the forums (especially System Wars), rather than the other stuff. But when the time comes for me to finally get banned on this site, I might have to look elsewhere for good forums :P
Origami_Kill3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Origami_Kill3r
Member since 2010 • 647 Posts
How sad. Gamespot and IGN are two of the worst sites I've ever been to in terms of quality journalism. It kind of makes me sad to know I contributed to this ranking.savebattery
THis all the way. Sadly in my journey across the /v/ast internet I have found only system wars to be worth of my argumentative self.
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
well when you type in "video games" into the address bar or videogames.com, it brings you here to GS. Many people in general when looking for gaming info are most likely brought here first. Thats my guess.
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I have a few sites I go for reviews... gamespy,IGN,gametrailers, and gamespot. And a few youtube guys that also review games. I just use all of them to give me an idea of the game, some do a better job than others. But at the end of the day its my opinion the one that maters.

Origami_Kill3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Origami_Kill3r
[QUOTE="savebattery"]How sad. Gamespot and IGN are two of the worst sites I've ever been to in terms of quality journalism. It kind of makes me sad to know I contributed to this ranking.PandaBear86
I visit Gamespot for the forums (especially System Wars), rather than the other stuff. But when the time comes for me to finally get banned on this site, I might have to look elsewhere for good forums :P

Sites like 1 up and giant bomb are good but they lack the ppl system wars provides to have fun with
Origami_Kill3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Origami_Kill3r

GS is pretty bad as far as reviews, and news. The only thing going for them is the profiles, forums etc. Although, I will agree that GS usually makes a good choice for GOTY. The only 2 exceptions I can think of are the last 2 years.

AmayaPapaya
I know wtf was demon soul chosen. The winner should have been uncharted 2 or assassins creed, possible even dragon age.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Good the two best gaming sites on the web get the most traffic.

Origami_Kill3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Origami_Kill3r

Espada12
:lol: you didnt just say that
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Origami_Kill3r

:lol: you didnt just say that

Of course I did.

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts
GS surpassed it because of the forums and user upload-able videos. What would be a more telling article would be the breakdown of which pages get the most hits on gamespot. I can tell you from a person standpoint, I haven't been to the Gamespot home page in over a year.
kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

Who cares?

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I like Gamespot's reviews and I love the forums.

fiyerman48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fiyerman48
Member since 2010 • 224 Posts

well when you type in "video games" into the address bar or videogames.com, it brings you here to GS. Many people in general when looking for gaming info are most likely brought here first. Thats my guess. Fuhgeddabouditt
This site actually USED to be called Videogames.com lol. Thats actually HOW I found this site. When I was 7 or 8, I typed Videogames.com into my address bar. I am now 18.

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts

Gamespot has gone downhill ever since Greg left.

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ghost392
Member since 2008 • 1011 Posts

I like Ign better because they review Ipod Touch/ Iphone games more...

Also they allways publish funny articles sometimes and do great reviews

Gamespot is good because reviews and forums but Ign has better layout

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I used to go to IGN from time to time, but now I visit there a few times a year. GS is enough for me.
Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Samurai_Xavier
Member since 2003 • 4364 Posts

Gamespot is horrible now, not even close to what it used to be. There used to be so many features (the ones Carrie would write which are non-existant now), interesting articles, On the Spot (not the same), better guides and so much other stuff. Now its pretty much only reviews and news, and even those really suck.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Too true.

Off topic is the only semi-deccent place on this website where discussion actually takes place. Dont get me started on IGN, I think they wing it most of the time.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

I honestly feel System Wars plays a big part in its traffic. I only go to IGN for TV/movies.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Giantbomb deserves to be number one. They have really good reviews and news. Plus, their Quick Looks are informative and hilarious.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

accessability .............. Vgchartz feels like much better gaming website than GS, but it's very complicated, IGNdesign is also quite complicated. Anyway GSis all about SW.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

congrats to gamespot8)

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

i hate how ign changed their reviews. the last 30days, last week .ect ect i dont go to that site anymore. besides to look at the news because gamespot takes all day to post stories

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#30 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

AmayaPapaya

Wrong .... last 2 years were great for GOTY... You just don't like it because they were PS3 games right? Demons souls was innovative and unique. The fact that a niche game like that won the hearts and minds to make it GOTY is just pure win! Also MGS4, was a stellar game, it was just that good. It was the first game this gen that really felt next gen and not just a upres on last gen.

As for GS , I am glad they are getting more traffic then IGN. IGN latly has been making flame bate fanboy articles... like Greg Miller and his horrible biased articles for someone who is supposed to be on the PS team he is a disgrace with his bad speed ridden embarassment of a podcast... also the fact that GS doesn't make you pay to see articles. What does IGN expect with lousy people working there and their chobot chick who is on Microsoft payroll, and the fact that 90% you need to be an insider to look at anything good which cost real world cash. GS doesn't do this stuff and they aren't biased with crazy scores (well sometimes crazy scores but more grounded then ign, and its mw2 praising staff).

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#31 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

Origami_Kill3r

I know wtf was demon soul chosen. The winner should have been uncharted 2 or assassins creed, possible even dragon age.

I take it you haven't even played demons souls? Or if you did , was it too hard for you? Not saying that U2, AC2, or DA were bad games in fact all 3 could of got goty and I would of been happy, but not like i was when demon souls got, it. It was a breath of fresh air for a niche rpg title that may have not of made it to the west without Atlus's help to win GOTY. It was just awesome!! And the only game I ever bought 2 copies of in the same year (i got the import and later the deluxe edition. I then went on to give my import copy to a friend.) DS is a great ambitious game with tons of unique vicseral gameplay. If you haven't played it please check it out!!!

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts

Eh.. IGN covers more than just games.. so I wouldn't say Gamespot won.. Look at the overall package of what IGN has to offer compared to Gamespot.. I like Gamespot's website for forums, and I visit other websites for gaming news, vids, trailers, etc.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
ditto
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Well GS and Gamefaqs are combined so...IGN is still better.peanutbudduh
IGN has a broader audience than just gaming, rather 'entertainment'. Otherwise gamespot is fine, nothing short of good. I like a variety of sources and GS does a find job fitting amongst the others, criticisms towards it or not. As for IGN, not really a fan, but they do have the odd decent piece.
Parasomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Parasomniac
Member since 2007 • 2723 Posts
That's why IGN has been writing a lot of console war articles lately, to get more traffic.
Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts
lol @ the peeps that keeps whining at GS, "Teh crap journalizm site!11", well if you don't like it, then GTFO.
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#37 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

Well, I think Gamespot is the best gaming site out there, so good on them. :D Hopefully, the popularity will keep growing.

MellowMighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 MellowMighty
Member since 2008 • 691 Posts

system wars ftw! IGN and GS arre the 2 reviewers i read mostly... between the 2 of them i tend to slightly prefer IGN for news and etc. But GS has a nice forum, and I always read GS´s reviews.

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts

I love gamespot =D

IGN is a bunch of lemmings.

Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts

(...)

Gamespot, after many years of wrangling with IGN has finally taken a lengthy lead in traffic rankings.

(...)

fiyerman48

no surprise there, ign is all over the X360 lately, actually for like over a year, every link you'll click it will take you to the X360 version of that game, always, if a game has great visual on the X360 they say "it has awesome graphics" if a game has great visuals on the PS3 "it has awesome graphics on the PS3" like it had it own scale like the wii and handhelds -.-

bias is all that they are right now, i have an account on ign and i keep getting mails saying "it has bee 100, 200 days since you updated your wish list" there's nothing i like about ign right now, reviews use to be great but they lost that too =/

yanbuco2712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 yanbuco2712
Member since 2006 • 456 Posts

Too bad this isn't website wars.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
And McDonalds is one of the worst restaurants in terms of quality food, but it's also one of the most visited, that's marketing for you.
yanbuco2712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 yanbuco2712
Member since 2006 • 456 Posts

[QUOTE="savebattery"]How sad. Gamespot and IGN are two of the worst sites I've ever been to in terms of quality journalism. It kind of makes me sad to know I contributed to this ranking.bobbetybob
And McDonalds is one of the worst restaurants in terms of quality food, but it's also one of the most visited, that's marketing for you.

But I like Mcdonalds :cry:

The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

Giantbomb deserves to be number one. They have really good reviews and news. Plus, their Quick Looks are informative and hilarious.

Phoenix534
This. I use their Quick Looks to see if I like a game or not, while getting a good laugh. P.S: The Rouge Warrior Quick Look is the best one.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

Gamespot has gone downhill ever since Greg left.

AHUGECAT

Not at all. GS aint bad to be honest Reviews are usually accurate. People complaining about Demons Souls being game of the year either havent played it or even bothered to find out what its about. DS was chosen because its unique and its one of the 1st games in years that can be said to be truly unique in its approach to multi player, it deserves the reward and the fact that the guys at GS realize this over blockbusters like Uncharted 2 says a lot about there tastes in games. You guys just jump on bandwagons.

GS is fine i cant really think of a review i strongly disagree with. The site is well looked after the forums are reasonably well moderated GS doing a better job than the Gamefaqs Mods if i am honest.

The site it self is not over the top and to an extent is neat and easy to access. What more do you guys want? Or is it an excuse to moan and poo on something because you all want to be different or out there but actually all sound the damn same.

Im hung over so excuse my grammar etc if you even bother to read it.

Just to add i guess game of the year is truly the opinion of the game players running this site no control from outside advertising because by the time game of the year is chosen the money making wagons have moved out. < Well i hope.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#46 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

That's great, I've never liked IGN, especially when it comes to reviews. Even the GS staff has better written and more in-depth reviews than the likes of Bozon and Harris. This site is much more aesthetically pleasing, too, though the frequent ERRORS when posting are annoying

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts
IGN brought this to themselves. I have never seen a website actually force it's readers to leave. But IGN did it.
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#48 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
[QUOTE="savebattery"]How sad. Gamespot and IGN are two of the worst sites I've ever been to in terms of quality journalism. It kind of makes me sad to know I contributed to this ranking.bobbetybob

People eat fast food because it's quick and cheap. They make the choice because, while quality is worse, it's more convenient There is nothing more convenient about typing 'gamespot.com' than 'ign.com' in your URL bar. Going to gamespot as opposed to gamesradar doesn't save you money. More people choose to visit gamespot because more people like it
Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts
Apparently its cool to be the odd man out on gamepot. Anywho i'd agree with a lot of you guys, the only thing i like about this site is the profiles and forums. I dont watch reviews or come here for gaming news. I do like their coverage on gaming events but other than that, not a whole lot. Psu.com is great if you like all the things playstation.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
Sure the writing quality and journalistic integrity on both is a bit suspect (always is when big business is involved) from time to time, but the layout of the sites set them apart from their competition, and being able to make a cool profile with a blog, reviews, a feed page, "Now Playing" list, owned games collection is actually really cool. IGN doesn't have a System Wars board, so GS > IGN there, and GS profiles are way better. If you haven't screwed around with your profile, do it.