Gamers are insatiable -Reggie (sorry if old)

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

I know the post date says Oct 6th, but I didn't see this up anywhere, so sorry if old.

Now to continue on

http://wii.ign.com/articles/916/916810p1.html

"October 6, 2008 - Ever since Nintendo's E3 press conference this year, much talk has been bandied about claiming the company has abandoned the hardcore gamer (or just "core gamer," as Nintendo likes to say). The company took its recent Media Summit event in San Francisco to directly reach out to the enthusiast press and hardcore gamers with several new titles like a Punch-Out! remake, the turn-based strategy game Fire Emblem DS, and a sequel to the Japanese shooter Sin and Punishment. But speaking with VentureBeat, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime laments that we gamers are never satisfied.

"The gaming enthusiast that buys a tremendous amount of games is truly insatiable," Fils-Aime says. "As an example, in March, we launched Super Smash Bros. Brawl. In April, we launched Mario Kart. In later April, we launched Wii Fit. Then, in July, at E3, they say, 'where are the games?' They say they want the next Mario game. Super Mario Galaxy isn't even a year old yet."

While we here at IGN Nintendo were pretty happy with the Media Summit last week, Reggie still appears exasperated with the core market. "We believe today that we have shown a plethora of games and genres that can satisfy the most casual to the most core. Even that doesn't seem like it's enough."

What do you think? Should Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii be enough to satisfy us for the entire year? Should we be content to keep playing last year's Mario Galaxy? Let us know in the comments below.
"

Comments? What do you think? Is her right? I tend to think to a degree he is. We as gamer's are never satisfied, we always tend to look for faults even in great games, find something wrong in any game, tend to be overly critical and elite-minded at times, then when a game is released and we play and beat it, we move on after we are done with it, and expect something new or another series to our favorite title asap.

Though I think Reggie also needs to realize, Nintendo should start building third party support. Because you see, while I love Nintendo games, the Wii's third party support isn't up to par as something as awesome like say... the 360's right now. I would feel better about the system if we had more diverse games, and also Reggie, that would calm some of these "insatiable" gamers down a bit I'm sure, because they can play something else while waiting.

Edit: Fixed link

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
I love The Reggienator.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts

THEY DON'T GET IT. Using the same franchisesover and over isn't enough. Create amazing new ips that could be put up there with Mario and Zelda.

I am not liking their games anymore and Zelda is the only game I care about from Nintendo. They need to start creating and stop rehashing.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Okay Reggie. So then why would I be more than satisfied with just the 360's lineup alone this Holiday? Theres honestly too many games to play.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

this generation is full of jaded gamers that expect every game to be the next big thing.

i can understand what reggie is saying,but nintendo does need to to grow more 3rd party support to keep up with the 360 and ps3

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
I take his point in July, but since then we have seen, August and September and there is still little that interests me on the horizon.
Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts
reggie is the man! 8)
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Women are also insatiable. But as men do we not do are best to try anyways?

Reggie if you honestly think that this is the best Nintendo can do then I don't know what to say.

elbow2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 elbow2k
Member since 2007 • 1645 Posts

Does this guy actually think that putting out two games will satisfy core gamers? He's right, we as core gamers have a hunger for new games, however, is that a bad thing? He's spinning it like, "Look at what we do for you!", when in reality, it's "Look at what you DON'T do for us!".

Honestly, I have no idea how anyone can game in this generation just off a Wii. As good as Super Smash Brawl was, come on man, within the the span of the first eight months of this year, the number of quality games that have come out on the PS3/360 just trounces that of the Wii. Maybe we are spoiled, however, I like the fact that in this month, Little Big Planet, Fable II, Fallout 3, Dead Space, Farcry 2, and a whole host of other games are coming out, but none of those, or for that matter, there is not one marquee game on the Wii for the remainder of the year.

This is pure arrogance on his part, and one of the reason why I don't have a Wii.

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fawlcon_Pawnch
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts

Okay Reggie. So then why would I be more than satisfied with just the 360's lineup alone this Holiday? Theres honestly too many games to play.

Teufelhuhn

Funny how people demand that Nintendo single-handedly make all their first party games plus make a bunch of new IPs.

My god people dont realize how **** and unfair they are. They are just ONE company, they already make more games than Sony and MS combined.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

THEY DON'T GET IT. Using the same franchisesover and over isn't enough. Create amazing new ips that could be put up there with Mario and Zelda.

I am not liking their games anymore and Zelda is the only game I care about from Nintendo. They need to start creating and stop rehashing.

too_much_eslim

I don't mind new IPs. But not at the cost of sequals of games I already know and enjoy.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yoshi_64

Women are also insatiable. But as men do we not do are best to try anyways?

Reggie if you honestly think that this is the best Nintendo can do then I don't know what to say.

Blackbond

Mr Bear can please the ladies just fine! :D Then... if they get outta line, BOOM! and he moves on. 8)

I have to agree BB, Nintendo can do better. I would say they aren't doing bad as a first party dev alone though (but then again What is Retro up to? :cry: ) but they need to be active in pushing third party games and support too. MS has been learning how to do this with many 3rd party exclusives/timed exclusives and exclusive DLC for multi plat games as well. I mean if MS wasn't doing this, we could say that the PS3 and 360 would probably be more even, right? Yet these things tend to push me as well into the 360 side of multi plats and I love how diverse my 360 selection is.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts

Awesome, i cant wait to play hardcore Harvest Moon!

And simply said, we gamers do want more, not a handful of titles every year, heck Wii Fit isnt even a title, if it is, lets start counting Mario Sluggers

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts
But I didn't like MKWii and Wii Fit I despise, how come I'm playing a SNES game and N64 game on my Wii when I'm going to be playing a beta for an upcoming game on my PS3 and a collection of last gen/this gen games on my 360?
Khansoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Khansoul
Member since 2004 • 4639 Posts
Nintendo and Reggie dont care about gamers period. The real money as they both know lies in the super casual market. The Wii is going after the bejeweled crowd and the hardcore Nintendo fanboys refuse to face reality!
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 yoshi_64
But I didn't like MKWii and Wii Fit I despise, how come I'm playing a SNES game and N64 game on my Wii when I'm going to be playing a beta for an upcoming game on my PS3 and a collection of last gen/this gen games on my 360?CJL13
You got in the R2 beta? :o I signed up, but no word yet... :(
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

[QUOTE="CJL13"]But I didn't like MKWii and Wii Fit I despise, how come I'm playing a SNES game and N64 game on my Wii when I'm going to be playing a beta for an upcoming game on my PS3 and a collection of last gen/this gen games on my 360?yoshi_64
You got in the R2 beta? :o I signed up, but no word yet... :(

No one has, rumor was it was supposed to come out the 6th, now the rumor says it's the 10th.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

If Nintendo wants the hardcore off their tails, then they should start making sure that third parties get in gear and start devoting some serious time to making games for the Wii.

Otherwise, they shouldn't be surprised that they're shouldering the whole burden of making games for the platform.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]

HarlockJC

I don't mind new IPs. But not at the cost of sequals of games I already know and enjoy.

Um we get Zeldas per system, 1 mario kart per system, 1 major mario(platformer) game per system since going 3D, and 1 Smash Bros game. How aboutthey stop milking the mario name in those sport title, and actually put it into another ground breaking new ip.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Teuf_
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Funny how people demand that Nintendo single-handedly make all their first party games plus make a bunch of new IPs.

My god people dont realize how **** and unfair they are. They are just ONE company, they already make more games than Sony and MS combined.

How is it at all unfair to expect that a console deliver the same amount of compelling games that another console delievers?

Who makes the game isn't important, what's important as that they're made. If Nintendo can't make enough then they should be looking to third parties.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Um we get Zeldas per system, 1 mario kart per system, 1 major mario(platformer) game per system since going 3D, and 1 Smash Bros game. How aboutthey stop milking the mario name in those sport title, and actually put it into another ground breaking new ip.too_much_eslim

Nintendo does not make the Mario Sports games. So its not like Nintendo can pull a team from them to make other IPs. There still so many IPs I want sequals to that they own.

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts

Nintendo knows it, and Nintendo IS doing something about it. Why do you think Nintendo is trying to drum up 3rd party support, maximising their userbase, and enticing back the support that they once had? Someone mentioned that Nintendo is one company but it does not excuse the offerings of the console against every other. No it doesn't, but it's clear Nintendo is trying to solve that even if it may take another generation. The support is growing, the software library is growing - at this point in time, it probably is not enough for most people here, but at the rate things are progressing that is going to change. And what i've seen so far, they've done well strategically although the tactical aspect is rather frowned upon by many SWers.

Reading back on what i've written, i don't expect many people 'here' to understand specifically what i'm talking about ( -_- ).

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
-.- ... good hes such a tool. Does he realize PS3/360/PC typically have 3rd party support every month? not once a year.
Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fawlcon_Pawnch
[QUOTE="Fawlcon_Pawnch"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

Teufelhuhn

How is it at all unfair to expect that a console deliver the same amount of compelling games that another console delievers?

Who makes the game isn't important, what's important as that they're made. If Nintendo can't make enough then they should be looking to third parties.

Nintendo on its own makes more quality games than Sony and MS together, end of story.

People moan and are actually pointing fingers to the developer who is cranking out the most quality games in such a small time frame, wake up and open your eyes. If you are not satisfied about the thrid party support then blame third party developers, its simple and obvious. Blaming Nintendo for other peoples shortcomings is just juvenile and unfair, they are not anyones babysitter.

Reggie is completely right, gamers act like 6 year olds in a toy store, the more you give them the more they'l expect from you and act like you owe them something. I lol at people crying that they will sell their Wiis if Zelda isnt announced when they want. GROW UP PEOPLE

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="Fawlcon_Pawnch"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Nintendo on its own makes more quality games than Sony and MS together, end of story.

People moan and are actually pointing fingers to the developer who is cranking out the most quality games in such a small time frame, wake up and open your eyes. If you are not satisfied about the thrid party support then blame third party developers, its simple and obvious. Blaming Nintendo for other peoples shortcomings is just juvenile and unfair, they are not anyones babysitter.

Reggie is completely right, gamers act like 6 year olds in a toy store, the more you give them the more they'l expect from you and act like you owe them something. I lol at people crying that they will sell their Wiis if Zelda isnt announced when they want. GROW UP PEOPLE

Ehh no, it took them THIS long to deliver, and for the future the have very little planned. And offcourse the third-party side isnt looking good either
redmetal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 redmetal86
Member since 2006 • 1123 Posts
ill say it like this. if you want my money reggie, youll do what i want, when i want. or else i'll give it to someone else. now. i want project h.a.m.m.e.r brought back from the dead. or some other new ip.
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts

[QUOTE="Fawlcon_Pawnch]

Reggie is completely right, gamers act like 6 year olds in a toy store, the more you give them the more they'l expect from you and act like you owe them something. I lol at people crying that they will sell their Wiis if Zelda isnt announced when they want.

I have to disagree with you on one point. It is Nintendo's console, and it is Nintendo that is responsible for what that hardware is offering to consumers. It is Nintendo's responsibility to win 3rd parties over. "Other peoples' shortcomings" are a 'side-effect' from bad 3rd party support - something that Nintendo is actively trying to change.

In terms of what Reggie says, i don't care, it's PR stuff - nothing that affects what games are going to come or not. If i was to judge, Reggie generalises too much. Sure, 'gamers are insatiable', but not every gamer is - what do you expect from the diversity of consumers, there'll be fanboys, there'll be the indifferent people and there'll be the people who just go with the flow.

(eh? what's wrong with the quotes?)

voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 voxware00
Member since 2004 • 5018 Posts

i don't entirely agree but

at the same time.. looking at some peoples gamer tags... i have no idea how some people just find the time to consume everything put infront of them regardless of how generic it is

and considering how nintendo had the best early 08 of anyone.. i can't believe people were whining about droughts during the same time as stuff such as no more heroes or boom blox or blast works.. since they're original ips though nobody can hype anything that isn't a franchise

also consider.. good for consumers is bad for business.. games don't have legs and need specific time frames.. sure you can lump 8 mega epic AAAE games during holidays, half of them rushed to make release, but you're taking a big risk

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#29 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

Please Microsoft and Sony, don't listen to this moron. :( PLEASE, don't go the path that Nintendo has taken! Game droughts = no fun.

But :lol: at mention of Wii Fit and "core games". :lol:

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Although reggie is out of touch with core gamers...what he's saying about gamers being insatiable is true to a certain degree.

There always seems to be a group of gamers that'll complain no matter what you do.

look at the wind waker/ twilight princess incident. That basically split the zelda fanbase in half.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FirstDiscovery

Please Microsoft and Sony, don't listen to this moron. :( PLEASE, don't go the path that Nintendo has taken! Game droughts = no fun.

Stevo_the_gamer

Bad news, they will

They cant afford to invest billions when nobody cares about hardcore games

sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts

A good idea on Nintendo's part would be to force Camelot to make Golden Sun 3!

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Fawlcon_Pawnch

Ehh no, it took them THIS long to deliver, and for the future the have very little planned. And offcourse the third-party side isnt looking good eitherFirstDiscovery

lol To deliver? Only the second half of 2008 was slow and now suddenly everything sucked?

They already made a Super Mario, Mario Kart, BWii, Fire Emblem, Strikers, Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Smash Brothers Brawl, adapted a Zelda, a new Excite game, Wario Land, and they are making Disaster and Animal Crossing and they financed Fatal Fram 4, this in two years.

Now name me a company who has done this in two years?

For the future they are making and financing LOTS of games like Punch-Out, Sin and Punishment, Pikmin 3, a new game by the Mario team and a new Zelda game. And this is the company who doesnt like to reveal what they are doing months in advance.

Yeah they are really a lazzy developer *rollseyes*

Liqur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Liqur
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Stevo_the_gamer

Listen to my by SteveO. He knows his stuff. lol

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Ehh no, it took them THIS long to deliver, and for the future the have very little planned. And offcourse the third-party side isnt looking good eitherFawlcon_Pawnch

lol To deliver? Only the second half of 2008 was slow and now suddenly everything sucked?

They already made a Super Mario, Mario Kart, BWii, Fire Emblem, Strikers, Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Smash Brothers Brawl, adapted a Zelda, a new Excite game, Wario Land, and they are making Disaster and Animal Crossing and they financed Fatal Fram 4, this in two years.

For the future they are making and financing LOTS of games like Punch-Out, Sin and Punishment, Pikmin 3, a new game by the Mario team and a new Zelda game. And this is the company who doesnt like to reveal what they are doing months in advance.

I quite frankly dont give a damn what Nitnendo alone has done, its what the 1st,2nd,3rd parties have done as a whole is what counts, Ninty lacks in the latter 2 departments quite clearly.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Listen to my by SteveO. He knows his stuff. lol

Liqur

lol. Andy, Welcome to Gamespot bro.

Waffle_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 Waffle_Fish
Member since 2008 • 2074 Posts
Sorry Reggie, we'll just keep playing brawl and mario kart while the PS3 and 360 get more games this fall then the wii got this entire year.
FerdMertz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FerdMertz
Member since 2006 • 1034 Posts
If a 360 or PS3 owner came in here saying there aren't enough "core" games I think "insatiable" would be a good word to describe them, but I think "starving" would be a better word to describe the "core" Wii gamer.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Ehh no, it took them THIS long to deliver, and for the future the have very little planned. And offcourse the third-party side isnt looking good eitherFawlcon_Pawnch

Yep as usual, sheep standards drop extremely low when they talk about their amazings library of games:|
Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Fawlcon_Pawnch

Yep as usual, sheep standards drop extremely low when they talk about their amazings library of games:|FirstDiscovery

I'm sorry i wasted my time with you only to be replied with that^ System Wars BS response.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

Fawlcon_Pawnch

The list of games I want for the rest of 2008 on 360/PS3 is about that big alone.. it might be cheating since its two consoles, but if the Wii has such epic support, it should be able to compete with a season of PS3/360 in a 2 year span.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Yep as usual, sheep standards drop extremely low when they talk about their amazings library of games:|Fawlcon_Pawnch

I'm sorry i wasted my time with you only to be replied with that^ System Wars BS response.

You mean including low rated games and multiplats spanning over almost 2 years now?

Thats low standards, but if you want to play that game, you dont want to know the number of AAs and AAAs on the 360/PS3:|

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Fawlcon_Pawnch

[QUOTE="Fawlcon_Pawnch"]

110million

The list of games I want for the rest of 2008 on 360/PS3 is about that big alone.. it might be cheating since its two consoles, but if the Wii has such epic support, it should be able to compete with a season of PS3/360 in a 2 year span.

Are my posts that hard to understand? People are saying Nintendo is lazy and isnt making games, im showing how absolutely wrong they are since they alone are making and financing more games then Sony and Microsoft together, these two rely almost exclusevly on third-party games/multiplats.

If you dont like the quality of the third party games blame those developers, not nintendo.

However, third party support is ALOT better in 2009, if you care to do some research.

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Fawlcon_Pawnch

You mean including low rated games and multiplats spanning over almost 2 years now?

Thats low standards, but if you want to play that game, you dont want to know the number of AAs and AAAs on the 360/PS3:|

FirstDiscovery

The fact that you even mentioned multiplats shows me you didnt even understand my point from the begining.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

If you dont like the quality of the third party games blame those developers, not nintendo.

Fawlcon_Pawnch
The hardware is the main reason why developers keep thier distance from the Wii -- and guess who researched and developed that hardware?
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 insanejedi
Member since 2007 • 1738 Posts
I dunno about you guys, but i'm a hardcore gamer and pretty satisfied with my 360 games so far. I don't really need more games to be comming out for that system.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Teuf_

Are my posts that hard to understand? People are saying Nintendo is lazy and isnt making games...

Fawlcon_Pawnch

I don't think anybody has said that, or at least not anybody's whose post I've read. It certainly wasn't what I was saying.

My point was that if the Wii lacks compelling games compared the 360 or PS3, then I don't care whose fault it is or whether Nintendo couldn't possibly squeeze out any more games. Either way, the platform isn't satisfying me. And being that Nintendo makes the platform and sells it, I think it's perfectly valid to hold them responsible.

I take issue with Reggie simply saying "you should be happy with you've got and stop complaining!". Sorry Reggie, but that means I'm not going to buy your product.

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Fawlcon_Pawnch
[QUOTE="Fawlcon_Pawnch"]

Stevo_the_gamer

The hardware is the main reason why developers keep thier distance from the Wii -- and guess who researched and developed that hardware?

Yes because we all know quality games never existed on systems like the PS2 because of its hardware. Sorry thats not an excuse

Third parties efforts are mainly lacking because of where their resources were put when this gen started. They didnt expect these huge sales and are slowly shifting their teams and resources (EA publicly said this, Capcom did it with MH, etc...). And yes it took two years because as everyone knows, games take years to get made and resources are pushed into projects even before the games start being made.

2009 is already an indication of things to come

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts
Ok. I gotta hand it to Reggie this time. He does have a point.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="Fawlcon_Pawnch"]

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Yes because we all know quality games never existed on systems like the PS2 because of its hardware. Sorry thats not an excuse

This generation is entirely different from the previous generation. Let's not fall back to something that's irrelevant.