Forza Motorsport Launching Without Multiple Features (Because Of Series S?)

• 167 results
GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2487 Posts

Split screen and Xbox seem to not go well together these daysโ€ฆ

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#2 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5169 Posts

I mean that's Halo Infinite, Baldur's Gate, and now Forza that are having issues with split screen.

BUT the Series S is apparently a large portion of Series sales, so you can't abandon it. So less features for games it is

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56139 Posts

Once again, MS still disappoints by not having Split-Screen but NOT having it for Halo: Infinite was the worst part as Split-Screen is a must feature in Halo. But seriously, MS really needs to get this Split-Screen feature figured out. It is starting to become an issue with more and more games and more worst on developers.

One last thing, and not a swipe but 343 could learn from Turn 10 regarding Split-Screen at least Turn 10 is trying though.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7206 Posts

Split-screen? What is this 2008?

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11613 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Devs aren't prioritizing split-screen because, quite frankly, this is 2023 and not 2002. Everyone has the internet. If you want to play with other people in your household, there's always GamePass streaming to any TV or monitor in your house. It simply isn't a sought-after feature anymore no matter how loud the vocal minority online cries about it.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

Can we name a better duo than Xbox and, classic franchises losing features?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44574 Posts

Spectator mode and racing against AI sound like odd ones to omit, though I imagine they could add these in later. That would have nothing to do with the XSS limiting it I'd imagine.

Split screen I don't too much care about, and I'd much rather devs get the most out of an local SP experience than to limit performance and visual fidelity over potentiality of split-screen play. That too may not be an XSS limiting factor as much as the devs trying to squeeze every bit of performance and visual fidelity out of the game overall to make the game a Series X|S graphics showcase.

I never really do Forza MP myself, I dabbled in some fun MP games designs in FH5 but never spent much time in them due to hackers spoiling it, plus horrible team balance issues when people leave matches early. But I have plenty of friend list drivatars for the main game (or whatever they're called). Many of FH online features I use seem more friend and community created events that don't necessarily need active MP participants, like special types of races, target times/scores, match rules like vehicle type, or play restrictions, etc.

I think perhaps with the upcoming Forza Motorsport being 9th gen console exclusive that possibly a new engine build made to take advantage of the Series X|S hardware and optimization features could play a part in creation and testing and troubleshooting the game's online modes and functionality, so maybe they couldn't get this ironed on on their original timeline due to substantial changes to their code.

The spectator mode and lack of MP AI suggests to me something limiting on the online functionality side of things.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Series S strikes again. What a delightful device.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3416 Posts

Honestly who cares about split screen, I wonder what's the %?

That being said, Series S was always going to offer an experience inferior to the X, just released the game with two different versions.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69553 Posts

They absolutely need to get split screen working in this game. Everyone knows how important split screen is in modern gaming. In fact, the majority of gamer play their games in split screen.๐Ÿ˜Ž

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

They said this hardware was specced for parity, but with dropped resolutions. If it's confirmed this is because of the S (has it been, though?), something's going to have to give.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#13  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17812 Posts

6 years since FM7 and they still don't have the game feature complete for launch?

Almost as bad as Polyphony Digital.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6091 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Can we name a better duo than Xbox and, classic franchises losing features?

Sony and these...

The Last of Us 2 and multiplayer

Uncharted Collection and multiplayer

GT and online events

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6091 Posts

Not sure what's going on, but this is small stuff. I will say MS goofed big time with the S.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7287 Posts

@kathaariancode: I care about split-screen. And my opinion is the most important one... to me.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44221 Posts

Well thankfully they arenโ€™t features that I care about.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@Archangel3371 said:

Well thankfully they arenโ€™t features that I care about.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44221 Posts

@Pedro: Alright. You got me. I just misplaced my pitchfork and didnโ€™t feel like looking for it. ๐Ÿ˜…

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KathaarianCode

@judaspete: For sure some do, I just wonder how significant that number is. Maybe higher than what I suppose.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pedro

@kathaariancode said:

@judaspete: For sure some do, I just wonder how significant that number is. Maybe higher than what I suppose.

90% of gamers want split screen. Everyone knows that, ask anybody.๐Ÿ˜Ž

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

Damn. Split screen and spectator mode? Yeah it's the S. They should have given the S the same amount of ram.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pedro

@Zero_epyon said:

Damn. Split screen and spectator mode? Yeah it's the S. They should have given the S the same amount of ram.

That would have been a good choice. They may consider it for their next console.๐Ÿ˜Ž

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zero_epyon

So no:

Split screen

No Spectator mode

No AI in multiplayer featured races (honestly not sure if that's a bad thing)

No drag races

No drift trials

Sounds like stuff that should have been ready after those delays.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zero_epyon

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

That would have been a good choice. They may consider it for their next console.๐Ÿ˜Ž

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56139 Posts

@kathaariancode said:

Honestly who cares about split screen, I wonder what's the %?

That being said, Series S was always going to offer an experience inferior to the X, just released the game with two different versions.

Tell that to the outcry Halo: Infinite (same goes for 5) who wanted Split-Screen as its the main thing Halo is like for. It may not matter to you, but us Halo fans always respected Split-Screen.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

@mesome713: exactly! Who cares about split screen?? Does anyone play local split screen in 2023? Who exactly is that target audience?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26103 Posts

Microsoft is de-prioritizing splitscreen because the audience for those franchises (people who played them as kids in the 2000s) no longer have friends they can play with locally, they moved online with age. The real issue is that these franchises are not attracting younger players so that split screen can still be relevant.

It's not a technical issue, the Series S is not weaker than an N64.

@blaznwiipspman1: A ton of people, but not many that are old enough to have been on Gamespot since 2007.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8245 Posts

Meanwhile Quake 2. A $10 game on gamepass supports 8 players split screen.

Just here to say.

That's badass

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

@sargentd said:

Meanwhile Quake 2. A $10 game on gamepass supports 8 players split screen.

Just here to say.

That's badass

Quake 2 is an old ass game.

Minimum system requirements:

CPU:Pentiumยฎ 90 MHz processor or higher or Athlonยฎ processor RAM:16MB RAM required for Windows 95/98, 24MB required for all other supported operating systems OS:A 100% Windows 95/98/ME/NT 4.0/2000-compatible computer system (including compatible 32-bit drivers for CD-ROM drive , video card, sound card and input devices)STO:25MB of uncompressed hard disk space for game files (Minimum Install), plus 45MB for the Windows swap file Sound:100% Sound Blaster-compatible sound card ODD:Quad-speed CD-ROM drive (600 K/sec. sustained transfer rate)NET:Supports network and Internet play via IPX and TCP/IP

Recommended system requirements:

CPU:Pentiumยฎ 133 MHz processor or higher or Athlonยฎ processor RAM:16MB RAM required for Windows 95/98, 24MB required for all other supported operating systems OS:A 100% Windows 95/98/ME/NT 4.0/2000-compatible computer system (including compatible 32-bit drivers for CD-ROM drive , video card, sound card and input devices)STO:25MB of uncompressed hard disk space for game files (Minimum Install), plus 45MB for the Windows swap fileSound:100% Sound Blaster-compatible sound cardODD:Quad-speed CD-ROM drive (600 K/sec. sustained transfer rate)NET:Supports network and Internet play via IPX and TCP/IP

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8245 Posts

@Pedro: yeah I wasn't trying to make any point or comparison.

Just here to say.

Quake 2 remaster supporting 8 player split screen is badass.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50569 Posts

Pretty lame.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KathaarianCode

@davillain: Yeah, but I would love to know the numbers. With gamers it's difficult to know if the outcry it's genuine, just complaining for the sake of complaining, or even nostalgia.

With Forza my whole split screen experience was 1h playing with my now wife 10 years ago. And I don't know personally anyone that plays split screen.

But might be me that's out of touch. Anyway it's not great that they're annoying yet another troubled release. Although I won't notice any of the issues.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KathaarianCode

@davillain: Yeah, but I would love to know the numbers. With gamers it's difficult to know if the outcry it's genuine, just complaining for the sake of complaining, or even nostalgia.

With Forza my whole split screen experience was 1h playing with my now wife 10 years ago. And I don't know personally anyone that plays split screen.

But might be me that's out of touch. Anyway it's not great that they're announcing yet another troubled release. Although I won't notice any of the issues.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

MS' first party has been weak since the kinect days. Can't even ship a normal forza game anymore. Wonder if the microtransactions and car dlcs made it in.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts
@sancho_panzer said:

They said this hardware was specced for parity, but with dropped resolutions. If it's confirmed this is because of the S (has it been, though?), something's going to have to give.

That dev explains at the end of that video why spiltscreen is not in the new forza at launch. He says it's because of the graphical features they are pushing and the new rendering engine. If I am correct it's the opposite issue of BG3 where the features and the engine they are using are making spiltscreen difficult to implement on likely both the S/X. The issue with BG3 was that it was rendering the world multiple times in spiltscreen and people could go whereever they wanted. In forza you don't have to deal with that since all players would likely be racing on a track where their isn't a huge distance between everyone, but the rendering engine and the graphical features might not make spiltscreen feasible for forza.

TLDR: They probably didn't have enough time to focus on these features while developing the new Forza.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zero_epyon

@freedomfreak: I think they said car rosters will be updated. I donโ€™t know if microtransactions will be there at launch but if history is anything to go by, theyโ€™ll be patched in at some point.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12575 Posts

Guess I'm in the minority for split screen play here. I grew up playing 4 player split screen on a 27" CRT TV. I now have a 75", with a much higher resolution. Of any time in my life to use split screen, it'd be now. Talking over a microphone with your friends isn't my thing either. I guess ideally, having 2 laptops in the same room was great. But not everyone has that option. I hope more games use split screen, like It Takes Two did. I wish 3D tvs still existed. I use to play CoD on a 55" 2 player but each of us used the full screen using 2 different pairs of glasses. Seemed like a cool feature.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50569 Posts

@joshrmeyer: Definitely not the minority

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
@super600 said:
@sancho_panzer said:

That dev explains at the end of that video why spiltscreen is not in the new forza at launch. He says it's because of the graphical features they are pushing and the new rendering engine. If I am correct it's the opposite issue of BG3 where the features and the engine they are using are making spiltscreen difficult to implement on likely both the S/X. The issue with BG3 was that it was rendering the world multiple times in spiltscreen and people could go whereever they wanted. In forza you don't have to deal with that since all players would likely be racing on a track where their isn't a huge distance between everyone.

TLDR: They probably didn't have enough time to focus on these features while developing the new Forza.

Thanks for the response

@super600

I've not watched the video, but, as far as Forza is concerned, that sounds plausible. i.e. it's a delay because they were simply behind schedule, same as with Sony's latest hints about their upcoming batch of first party delays. Platform holders have a habit of getting unreasonably optimistic about their own products' dev cycles till crunch time.

For Baldur's Gate 3, though, this should be a bit more worrying to MS. It's hard to swallow the suggestion PlayStation's architecture is so radically different that PS5 should represent an absolute hardware cutoff point. I mean it's not like BG3 is barely running in split-screen on PS5, right? It's doing so comfortably, from what I've understood.

Now, I could buy the idea that certain design decisions Larian made might lie on a development fault line between X and PS5, but then there's the question of why MS has allowed themselves to get shut out of the dialogue like that again. Is it a question of inferior development tools? Maybe they're just not "liaising with devs" appropriately? If parity is not a major issue at a hardware level, and it boils down to either of those explanations, then there's still potentially a way to resolve the problems they've been having the last decade.

If it's not about developer-platform relations though, MS needs to think hard about their parity clause for S. If they're insistent, there are strategies they could mitigate the issue with, but a pretty-on-paper Activision acquisition isn't going to do that alone.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9555 Posts

I remember people arguing about the S and saying it wouldn't hold anything back. It was about 50/50 back then. Which team were you then, and what team are you on now?

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
@WitIsWisdom said:

I remember people arguing about the S and saying it wouldn't hold anything back. It was about 50/50 back then. Which team were you then, and what team are you on now?

From what I recall, I voiced doubts about S's specs - specifically the memory. But wtf do I know about hardware, lol.

I can see how split-screen could be an exceptional case, but you just assume that's been thought through.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1459 Posts

MS to release a game in a barebones state again?

Have they still not learned to give their devs enough time to finish their games, even after the failure of Halo: Infinite and Redfall?

I understand that the Series S is forcing them to compromise, but still, this doesn't look good against GT7 being released in a finished state with all features, still supported with new cars and tracks (really like the ambulance, haha), and even featuring VR mode.

Loading Video...
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts

@st_monica: โ€œbarebonesโ€? :-S itโ€™s missing only a few features. And Turn 10 is not 343, theyโ€™ll get it done.

MS doesnโ€™t rush games anymore. 343 had more than enough time, it was getting silly, MS canโ€™t keep throwing money at it. 343 needs to be shut down completely.

Zenimax forced a dev to work on a game they donโ€™t know how to do or have any interest in. No amount of time was going to make Redfall good.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@st_monica: Can you explain what makes the game barebones?

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By st_monica

@Pedro: Well, I'm the one asking questions based on the lack of features available in past games and other racing games at launch, such as:

@Zero_epyon said:

So no:

Split screen

No Spectator mode

No drag races

No drift trials

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 st_monica
@HalcyonScarlet said:

@st_monica: โ€œbarebonesโ€? :-S itโ€™s missing only a few features. And Turn 10 is not 343, theyโ€™ll get it done.

Well, doesn't it seem to you that the lack of these features that are available in previous games and other racing games that are important to some people makes it relatively "barebornes" compared to other racing games?

Anyway, my point is why MS won't release the game in a finished state at launch and what MS has learned from their past mistakes is all.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pedro

@st_monica said:

@Pedro: Well, I'm the one asking questions based on the lack of features available in past games and other racing games at launch, such as:

@Zero_epyon said:

So no:

Split screen

No Spectator mode

No drag races

No drift trials

Any racing simulator that is missing these features is bare-bones?

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 st_monica

@Pedro: Again, I'm the one asking the question. Learn to read, Pedro.

@st_monica said:

MS to release a game in a barebones state again?

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

What is up with MS releasing unfinished games . First it was halo inf, then Redfall and now this ?