Forbes -- Why Steve Jobs Deserves Credit as a Video Game Pioneer

• 184 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#1 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Recently, Apple and Steve Jobs were cited by 1,000 industry professionals as the most influential person in gaming. Now Forbes is helping validate that claim with an analysis of the industry we all enjoy. I've pulled a couple noteworthy sections for your reading pleasure.

Anyone who's paid close attention to the gaming industry today - and not those who just play the top-tier console and PC games - can see that the future of games is migrating away from the console and to mobile devices. Apple's iPhone ushered in a revolution in smartphones, which in turn changed the dynamic of games. Look at how much money game giants like Electronic Arts have invested in the mobile space, acquiring game studios like PopCap, Chillingo and Firemint. That wouldn't have happened without the iPhone.Forbes

Indeed. The article continues.

The future of gaming is not the PS4 or the next Xbox. And I wouldn't have written that before the iPad launched. The future of gaming is having a portable tablet device that's as powerful as any console; that you can take with you with all of your games and entertainment. And Jobs was a pioneer in steering the game industry in this direction.Forbes

Correct.

So where does that leave us? What do you think of the influence Apple and Steve Jobs had on gaming? Do you agree with it, or disagree with it? Do you think there was someone else who had a bigger influence? If so, who and why? Article credits in the spoiler.

[spoiler]

John Gaudiosi:I've been covering the video game space for almost 20 years for outlets like The Washington Post, Reuters, CNET, AOL, Wired Magazine, Yahoo!, Entertainment Weekly, NBC, Variety, Maxim, and Rosebud Magazine. I serve as EIC of Gamerlive.tv and co-founder of LiveContent Networks, a video game and technology video syndication network, and cover games for outlets like The Hollywood Reporter and GamePro Magazine.

[/spoiler]

(Bonus quote and linkage below.)

Before the iPhone and iPad, Apple was never a company interested in games. Most big titles shipped on PC only. Even today, few big games are released for Mac. But none of that matters. Jobs was able to create devices that successfully took gaming, and entertainment, to the masses through simplified functionality and a quality experience.Forbes

Booyah.

UPDATE: For those saying it was just because he died, it's obvious you didn't take the time to peek at the article. This is for you:

The people filling out those forms weren't just giving Jobs credit posthumously; they were also looking to the future of gaming. And when we look back at the game industry 10 years from now, it will be obvious how influential Jobs smartphones and tablets were in steering the game industry in a new, more mainstream direction.Forbes

Please do your due dilligence before spouting the traditional racket, thank you. Discussions are so much more interesting when posts aren't meaningless.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts
They'll never be able to sell thin tablets for anywhere close to the cost of a dedicated console or even a PC.
MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

Why he doesn't: Because he didn't actually do anything to pioneer video games.

Why they say he did: Because he died.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ActionRemix
As far as the touch screen goes, Nintendo was the pioneer behind that.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18255 Posts

How many games did he make again?

Oh...i see, he died, that's why they want to include him in everything.

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
I and many others will always want the best gaming experience, which mobile devices simply cannot provide. They voted for Jobs because he died. Plus he didn't pioneer games, he came up with a device that can play games. He had nothing to do with gaming.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]

Busted.

Read the article. Here's another quote for your sake-

The people filling out those forms weren't just giving Jobs credit posthumously; they were also looking to the future of gaming. And when we look back at the game industry 10 years from now, it will be obvious how influential Jobs smartphones and tablets were in steering the game industry in a new, more mainstream direction.Forbes

So it is written.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

"This wouldnt of happened if it wasnt for the iPhone" stopped reading there, it was happening either way. apple was just the first most popular singular branding that influenced it... nothing more.

Jobs did nothing towards this.... it was just a coincidental occurance.

Ontop of that, there are different tiers of gaming, even if a tablet had as much power as a console (easily possible now.) youd be cutting down on a whole load of genres to make that work.

But yea, praise jobs for accidentally doing something, doesnt change the fact that OS X for gaming is LOL let alone iOS outside of those simple games....

And then his lack of anything dedicated to developers.... or open source material.

I could go on, but then you are incapable of a proper debate on this subject as displayed in previous threads.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ActionRemix
Dennis Ritchie died around the same time and he DEFINITELY did a lot more for video games than Jobs.
Techn0holic89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Techn0holic89
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts

The only actual game he made was Break Breaker.

At Best, he only indirectly helped the game industry by promoting the multifunctionality use of the Iphone

He was a great businessman, nothing else.

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MacBoomStick

[QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]

musicalmac

Busted.

So it is written.

Another example: "Micheal Jackson was the greatest artist of all time!"

They say that they aren't giving credit because he died but they actually are. Same deal with Michael Jackson

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

I personally agree the the iPhone and the iPad are going to be the most influential devices heading of this decade (until 2020), and will reshape console/handheld gaming entirely.

Nintendo's been worrying about Apple since the iPhone, and Sony's in the red with their current "big budget, big losses" strategy (no surprise there).

Microsoft seems to be moving forward within the industry, but not quite as fast as Apple. Next gen should see drastically different pricing schemes on the consoles, and online market place, and probably way, way more emphasis on all things entertainment in a box (which we already see the PS3/360 heading in that direction).

I'm honestly pretty excited to see how things turn out. I mean who knows what these changes will result in? Entire companies could crumble because of them.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="PC360Wii"]

"This wouldnt of happened if it wasnt for the iPhone" stopped reading there, it was happening either way. apple was just the first most popular singular branding that influenced it... nothing more.

Jobs did nothing towards this.... it was just a coincidental occurance.

Ontop of that, there are different tiers of gaming, even if a tablet had as much power as a console (easily possible now.) youd be cutting down on a whole load of genres to make that work.

But yea, praise jobs for accidentally doing something, doesnt change the fact that OS X for gaming is LOL let alone iOS outside of those simple games....

And then his lack of anything dedicated to developers.... or open source material.

I could go on, but then you are incapable of a proper debate on this subject as displayed in previous threads.

Very well, then. Have fun in the past. lol
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PC360Wii
Nah, Il have a windows 8 tablet that is actually able to do what a laptop/pc can do. not some phone O.S on a blown up screen ;)
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]

They say that they aren't giving credit because he died but they actually are. Same deal with Michael Jackson

That comparison isn't logical.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

So how can we bash/praise this if no system is really involved? This thread seems out of place here. Either way I don't see how he is a video game pioneer, he just created a popular platform for games to be put on.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PC360Wii
The computer was invented! thank god for that guy pioneering games on it... oh wait.
MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MacBoomStick
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]

That comparison isn't logical.

Two icons that are made out to be the greatest humans ever because they died? It seems like everybody forgot that Micheal Jackson was a child molester.
SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

Nah, Il have a windows 8 tablet that is actually able to do what a laptop/pc can do. not some phone O.S on a blown up screen ;)PC360Wii

I'd love to see what a Windows 8 tablet can do.

Imagine it being able to play all PC games from like 2003ish and before? That is of course if you get a keyboard attachment for many games...

Or if a website such as GoG were to create a 'GoG app' for Windows 8 that would allow you to play all those really old PC games with a virtual on-screen keyboard, and you could use touch controls in place of a mouse? BEST PORTABLE EVER!!!!!!!!!

I too am waiting for the Windows 8 tablets before I make the jump. Mostly because if they support MS Office then I can ditch carrying around six pound laptops!

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

Steve Jobs isn't directly linked to the game sidustry nor was that one of his top priorities. Tablet and smart phone gaming hasn't taken off enough or been around long enough to call him a pioneer. Just becasue Steve Jobs influenced technology, it dosen't mean he has been impactful for gaming. Tablet gaming hasn't given us anything we haven't seen before. The best games for the platfors are ports like PvZ and Machinarium and the most popular are console rip offs. Videogame pioneer, I say no.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I don't think he influenced video gaming the way the article states. I think definitely, Apple and Jobs changed the way the handheld market works. More mainstream players find it OK to play games on a cell phone than carrying around a dedicated machine. I think iOS is a great avenue for developers to break out into the industry, there's lots of indie developers with neat ideas that work on the iOS store. It has a low barrier to cost and you can reach a wider market than a dedicated console machine. That being said, do I think Steve Jobs himself is a "video game pioneer"? No, not yet anyway. All of this is relatively short term. I'd be more interested to see the direction things head in the next 10 years or so.

In terms of personal preference, I hate playing games on a phone. I don't like touch only controls generally and I don't really like virtual buttons on the iPhone. I much prefer a dedicated machine like a 3DS, plus I'm more willing to pay top dollar for Mario than buy a game for 0.99 and have it be disposable after a few minutes.

In terms of consoles I don't think Jobs or Apple have much influence. They might, if they have something else up their sleeves.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#22 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2011/11/04/steve-jobs-and-apples-influence-on-gaming-massively-overstated/.

nice source mod.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
i never respected steve jobs in life and i will never respect him in death. just sayin'.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PC360Wii

Glad to see there is some sanity on that website...

Avatar image for rpgs_shall_rule
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 rpgs_shall_rule
Member since 2006 • 1943 Posts

Steve Jobs isn't directly linked to the game sidustry nor was that one of his top priorities. Tablet and smart phone gaming hasn't taken off enough or been around long enough to call him a pioneer. Just becasue Steve Jobs influenced technology, it dosen't mean he has been impactful for gaming. Tablet gaming hasn't given us anything we haven't seen before. The best games for the platfors are ports like PvZ and Machinarium and the most popular are console rip offs. Videogame pioneer, I say no.

15strong

This. Jobs and Apple may have had an impact on the direction of technology in general, but he really hasn't done anything for gaming.

Oh, and the Angry Birds example? People just found a way to monetize previously free content, kinda like DLC. That's not an advancement for gaming in general, just marketing.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 musicalmac  Moderator

nice source mod.

illmatic87
Thanks, user. I was wondering when someone would finally go to the web site.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Worms want to turn him into some kind of legend, but I heard he was really kind of a jerk and tyrant that was very weird and hard to deal with.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PC360Wii

Worms want to turn him into some kind of legend, but I heard he was really kind of a jerk and tyrant that was very weird and hard to deal with.

Bigboi500
Automatic Apple Defence Squad Response : "He wasn't weird or hard to deal with, he was an unappreciated GENIUS... no... GOD where everyone failed to be as competent as him."
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

I called this a long time ago and I think once we get proper iTV/Apple TV styIe TVs it's going to absolutely destroy the traditional games console model as we know it.

Mobile lifestyIe devices like the ubiquitous smartphones and soon to be ubiquitous tablets along with the already ubiquitous home entertainment unit, the TV, are the future of all the entertainment needs for the vast majority of consumers out there.

In the future you won't see someone carrying around portable handheld consoles or playing games on their dedicated home console boxes and instead you will see most people playing games on their phones, tablets and TVs, as well as using them for all their other entertainment needs too, like watching movies, listening to music, surfing the Internet, reading books, checking emails, face to face chats with people, even things like document creation and drawing/painting etc etc etc.

Phone, tablet (with proper stylus support) and TV. Those 3 devices will pretty much covers all your bases.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

PC360Wii
Automatic Apple Defence Squad Response : "He wasn't weird or hard to deal with, he was an unappreciated GENIUS... no... GOD where everyone failed to be as competent as him."

"just look at his humble clothing! he wore a turtleneck, jeans, and tennis shoes instead of suits like that arrogant capitalist oligarch bill gates! he's a really down-to-earth guy!" (then he refuses early medical treatment of his cancer for the sake of his company and cuts the donor line for an organ transplant when his cancer gets worse)
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44614 Posts
Most influential, no, people are just getting caught up in the sensation of his death, he's hasn't been as influential as someone like Miyamoto or even Kutaragi when it comes to gaming, but his influence is strong in technology trends but gaming not so much, besides they're just speculating about the future of gaming on tablets. Anyhow, am I like the only one remembering Steve Jobs portrayal in Pirates of Silicon Valley making him look like a huge douchebag and a horrible human being?
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Bigboi500

How's that different from other famous people? Strangely enough, even the most influential people in history can be d!cks as well. It's natural.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

[QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]

musicalmac

Busted.

So it is written.

Didn't Nintendo already do that with both the Nintendo DS and Wii and Sony with the Playstation 2? :?

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#34 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Yes, it is understandable from a business point of view. However, from a creative point of view, his very presence in lists like this is insulting. So it just depends on the parameters.

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

[QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]

musicalmac

Busted.

So it is written.

If Forbes said it wasn't posthumously credited, it musn't be then. :roll:

Damage control :lol:

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

most influential, sure.. but it's not a very good influence imo.

ShyGuy0504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ShyGuy0504
Member since 2009 • 1138 Posts

Well then I'd say whoever invented the television was the biggest video game pioneer of all. :P

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#39 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
[QUOTE="illmatic87"]

nice source mod.

musicalmac
Thanks, user. I was wondering when someone would finally go to the web site.

No problems babe. Look at the last thread I created, my reply in GUFUs off site forum and I think I replied to your last thread. Which side am I on??! teh conundrum :o Or maybe I dont even care. I personally think there is a miscommunication with the survey, the participants and those that translated the findings, which is what people seem to be getting all worked up about for something that shouldn't really matter to them anyway. I dont think there is any denying that people in the industry are looking towards the amount of potential in Smartphone gaming: the inputs are there, the service model is there, the hardware is there, the appstore model of a consumer driven rating system seems to give credit to where its due and the pricepoint--for just the games--isn't this barrier that traditional games currently have. But I really cant see those influences across the board in the present even if a presence was made in a short amount of time, which brings me to that survey--at least according to the publications that got this information--pointed at the influences from the past to the present, rather than the present to the future..
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

MacBoomStick
preeeetty much. people love to idolize dead people. and i'm not saying jobs wasn't good at what he did, but all he did was make a cellphone where cellphone games were closer to flash games from kongregate and further from calculator minigames.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

If tablets take over the market, I'll have one less expensive hobby.

All that really needs to be said.

alanwakee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 alanwakee
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I have one question for you all. How is Steve more influential than Bill gates on gaming?
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

Portable devices existed before Jobs, and they will exist after him. Like everything with Jobs, his influence is massively overstated.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#45 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Dennis Ritchie died around the same time and he DEFINITELY did a lot more for video games than Jobs.ActionRemix
No kidding. Just imagine games being built from B. :P

If tablets take over the market, I'll have one less expensive hobby.

All that really needs to be said.

TreyoftheDead

Ditto. I have little interest in portable gaming.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

The future of gaming is in the cloud.

The future is not on one specific deivce, but all devices big and small.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

this article is full of such total horse ****, i dont even know where to begin or end.

It is a pretentious magazine, talking on a subject of which they have shallow if not downright laughable knowledge of, in order to pretentiously idolize a man whose influence in this area, if any at all, is generally recognized (by actual gamers) as a 100% negative one.

That is the "swear free," cliff notes version.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

Rikusaki

that is just as horrific as Forbe's vision for what gaming will become. If that is the case, I will stop gaming entirely (at least on any new games).

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

Rikusaki
oh god, you're still alive.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

oh god, you're still alive.BrunoBRS

Of course I'm alive, silly!