Flawed, but highly satisfying

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@MlauTheDaft

I'm getting tomorrow... Its on sale on XBL.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@AdobeArtist:

Totally. I actually fucking really enjoyed the first game, but discovering there were only 4 'zones' that took just over an hour each to complete was...alarming.

Also the fucking STATUS EFFECTS your couldn't counteract. They would ALWAYS kill you, you just had to wait to die and respawn if you were poisoned or whatever. So lame.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Vaasman said:

" I might even concede to the fucking casual pansies who can't learn how to left trigger the camera, that the camera is a bit of a hassle in NG2".

Bit of a hassle my ass, the camera in NG2's original release is fucking broken. Sorry, how does it make someone casual to expect a non-horrid camera, one that actually sticks to bosses without lazily drifting to the sides, and doesn't get caught clipping on the environment, and doesn't flail around wildly when it isn't babysat, and has some actual buffering and shit? I shouldn't have to spam left trigger just to keep up with whats going on, and I shouldn't have to deal with attacks that regularly come from ranged opponents I can't possibly keep track of even with said left trigger spam because there's fucking five of them flipping around the room with explosive shurikens. Camera is often a problem in these spectacle fighters, but NG2's is by far the worst from these higher tier launches. I can ignore the games lesser issues like recycling bosses, ugly inconsistent art, and loads of bugs, but the camera is just too frequently nightmarish to forgive in that game.

I completely disagree. You are given more than enough ways to handle most situations in that game, and camera included.

Is it notoriously bad in spots? Yes. The two armadillo fight is like the worst thing ever. Maybe next to the part where the series asks me to use a fucking bow n arrow like I'm that bitch Lara Croft or something. But I also don't think it's the supreme trash bag broken mess that some people make it out to be. You play that game to be constantly moving and blocking. Which buys you more than enough time on the playable modes: Pusswagon and Warrior. Mentor and forward? complete horse shit of the highest. But that I argue has more to do with the fact that the level design and namely the encounter design which aren't built for the camera in mind are more egregious than the camera itself.

I think majority of the camera complaints are more a problem of the encounter design themselves putting you in shitty spots, and less on the camera itself. When it came to NG1 there was at most a handful of scenarios that fit that bill. In NG2? it was closer to more like a shit load.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

RE6- If they just went with Leon/Chris, ditch Jake and his stupid campaign and make Leons last boss not window licking stupid, RE6 was probably one of my fav RE games.

Bound by Flame- a pretty decent Dark Souls clone, probably in my top 5 most underrated games of all time.

State of Decay- a prime example of what a zombie games should be, except the latest DLC had so much potential but falls flat while breakdown is just amazing.

ME3- with a ending that almost ruined the whole series, everything up to those last few min was pretty damn amazing.

AC BF- I generally find AC games garbage but AC BF is something special, they can turn this series around but they can't let go of those stupid follow/stalking missions

Batman Arkham Origins- a game that gets put under the rug after the critically acclaimed Arkham City, plus playing as Deathstroke come on!!!!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#55 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

plus playing as Deathstroke come on!!!!

DLC?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Ballroompirate

@jg4xchamp said:

@Ballroompirate said:

plus playing as Deathstroke come on!!!!

DLC?

best DLC evar 0_0 (actually I think it was a pre order bonus)

Seriously, I screamed in a unnecessary pitch when I was playing as Deathstroke even for a few missions.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Army of 2. I know it got a pretty lackluster score, and it tended to get repetitive, but I thought the Coop was damn enjoyable.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Ballroompirate

Oh forgot to add

Arma 3- a pretty damn good looking game but GD that AI is the worst AI out there.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Uncharted 3: The story becomes crappy after 4 hours in, the gameplay isn't tight either but the set pieces and the graphics make it an enjoyable game to play.

Walmart_Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61 Walmart_Jesus
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Drakengard, The gameplay was a total clusterfuck which consisted of one half -- Dynasty Warriors knock off and other half -- Panzer Dragoon knock off ...and ripped those games off poorly.

However, it has one of the darkest and most fucked up storyline/characters I've seen in a game. Drakengard touched on subjects that are considered even taboo these days. Plus Caim was a cold blooded badass and a total bro.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

The Saboteur and Mirror's Edge come to mind real quickly. The Saboteur was basically a GTA knock off with boring main missions and weirdly tried real hard to be sexy (Midnight Show DLC? my god), but goddamn, riding around in a racecar through a black and white 1940's France as an Irishman listening to a bomb soundtrack never got old. Mirror's Edge had one of the best concepts I've ever played in a game and enormous potential, but a lame story and and too frequent breaks in the running kept it from being the amazing game it should have been.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Lulu_Lulu

@LZ71

A Crappy story doesn't stop a game from being amazing. Thats Movie logic.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@clone01 said:

Army of 2. I know it got a pretty lackluster score, and it tended to get repetitive, but I thought the Coop was damn enjoyable.

I thought the 2nd game was better but yea, those games have some damn fine co-op

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Lulu_Lulu

@mems_1224

Really ? Perhaps I should play it then.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

my all time favorite game - KOTOR 2

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Saints Row 2, the game is pretty flawed, but damn it is fun.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I guess Too Human.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By LZ71

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@LZ71

A Crappy story doesn't stop a game from being amazing. Thats Movie logic.

Crappy story means a game has to survive solely on the gameplay (if I don't care about the reason why I'm doing things, or care about who I am/who others are in the game, the things I'm doing better be damn fun), and like I said, I find it to be flawed to an extent. More with the execution than the premise. Flawed gameplay implementation and uninteresting story=not amazing game.

Also to clarify what I meant when I said "too frequent breaks in the running," which sounds unbelievably stupid. I meant the game often took you out of the moments that I felt exemplified the game's vision the best (uninterrupted free-form parkour) and distracted you with combat or placed you in environments that restricted your freedom. The bonus levels were much better at this, but the main campaign missions did this too often for me to truly ever feel the game reached its potential.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Lulu_Lulu

@LZ71

All Main missions in every open world game are like that. They should ditch them entirely, lets see how much people really love their freedom. Anyway, as for the gameplay, theres been some compensating goin on lately, games can get by on crappy gameplay and great stories, one might even say developers are doing this intentionally. I mean, lets be honest, who really appreciates gameplay these days ?

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 LZ71

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@LZ71

All Main missions in every open world game are like that. They should ditch them entirely, lets see how much people really love their freedom. Anyway, as for the gameplay, theres been some compensating goin on lately, games can get by on crappy gameplay and great stories, one might even say developers are doing this intentionally. I mean, lets be honest, who really appreciates gameplay these days ?

Lots of open world games already feel like they ditched the main missions, having most things feel exactly the same as side quests now (Red Dead and Assassin's Creed, cough cough), which is up to you if that's a good thing I guess. I wouldn't even mind an open world Mirror's Edge with minimal main content - that'd be amazing actually - but if a game is going to put a focus on the narrative and main missions, I'm gonna knock it if it's not up to par.

And I dunno. Those Souls guys like gameplay a lot, thankfully.