Final Fantasy XV Review (above 85% on Metacritic) Hype met?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts

These stealth sections tho..

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#152  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts
@BassMan said:
@blueinheaven said:

There's also that but if you're both aghast at the seemingly never-ending staggering stupidity on here you ain't seen nothing yet. From @BassMan we have this quote on FFXV 'It looks absolute garbage not even worthy of reviewing' based on fucking screenshots!

It's like we're not even swapping banter with fellow gamers we're constantly subjected to rabid fanboys who don't give a **** one way or another how good or bad any game is if it's not on their 'fan' system they'll spew meaningless hate at it. I swear I lose a few braincells every time I take a look in here.

That has nothing to do with screenshots but the game itself. It is Japanese trash. I don't like those style of games. So, of course I am gonna talk shit. I would talk shit about it if it was on PC as well. Seriously... just look at the emo characters. It is ridiculous.

Says the one with the avy of the most emo crybaby character ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

@Netret0120 said:
@kinky-unikorn said:

Guess my post was overlooked...I'll ask again, is the combat similar to that of Kingdom Hearts for those who played it...lol

Most certainly similar to Kingdom Hearts but still maintaining the core final fantasy feel. My roommate is playing Final Fantasy for the first time and he enjoys the new style while other older fans prefer the old style which is where "Wait Mode" comes into play. I enjoy the battle system and look forward to exploring it more as I play.

Awesome! Thanks man, good to know cause I loved Kingdom Hearts. I'll probably watch Kingsglaive, as I've been seeing it's good to watch that first and go into the game to know a bit of the story

mjebb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 mjebb
Member since 2016 • 86 Posts

Being FF it will get a score of at least 8 even if shit

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

@mjebb:

Didn't the world of final fantasy score a 6 here the game is good stop whining about it if this was a Western game it would have been getting 9s across the boards but seems it's cool nowadays to hate Japanese games especially the bigger franchises

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#156  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Confirmed 8 @ GameSpot fellas. Game Over. I guess SE did good enough.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/final-fantasy-15-review/1900-6416579/

(Url because mobile)

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#157 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

3 hours into it and all I've been doing is side quests/hunting quests and exploring, I'd easily give it a 9.5 so far.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

It is at 84 Metascore as I type this.

Which is above the 75 threshold. Glad the game turned out alright. Lets just hope public opinion remains strong.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:
@kvally said:

Jesus, flopped big time.

It's at 86 on metacritic. How exactly is that....oh nevermind. You.

Gears 4 is 85 on metacritic and you fools say that is a flop!

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#160 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Netret0120:

I had my guess that it would range no higher than an 8. I was right!! And I was right for the exact same reasons. Generic music, forgettable characters, uninteresting story... Square Enix really needs to start hiring better writers! See, this was never an issue with Hyperdimension Neptunia rpg's. It already has well written, likeable characters and funny, interesting storylines.

But Final Fantasy 15 still has good gameplay and that's one thing it does better than other jrpg competitors. This isn't much of a loss when you think about it. Final Fantasy 15 still wins the 8/10 for being a good game in itself which is what matters most in the game industry. We can't all be like Uncharted 4, the child with the golden butthole.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:
@kvally said:

@reduc_ab_: Gamespot rules according to the veterans.

But that's not even correct. 8/10 is not a flop. Anyone that says otherwise is clearly a troll. A veteran troll is still a troll.

Halo 5 got a 8/10 too.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#162 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@killered3: Depending on which website you listen to, the soundtrack is either amazing or forgettable. I think it will come down to your own personal taste at the end of it.

I'd have to disagree on the characters part. All websites have agreed that the main characters are easily the highlight of the whole adventure. I'm 2 hours deep and I can already tell I like them compared to Vanille in FF13 who I wanted to strangle every time she spoke:P

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 nepu7supastar7

@Netret0120:

I guess that also depends on the person playing. I for one rarely like Final Fantasy characters in themselves. Newer ones after 10 even less.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12143 Posts

So many mixed things, I think I will stick to my original plan of getting it. Most reviewers are mixed on the story, but the main game seems like a Go.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

That's cool. I was picking it up anyway but good to know.

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

A lot of average games get 8s...even a 9.

jus saiyan.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts
@rasengan2552 said:

A lot of average games get 8s...even a 9.

jus saiyan.

Some even get a 10....jus saiyan....

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts

That's a pretty score from GS.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#169  Edited By TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Played it for about 6 hours today, the 8 - 8,5 score seems about right to me.

The world is absolutely huge and the sidequests and hunts are fun. The combat can be quite chaotic at times because there's simply too much going on with too many characters on screen at the same time. The story is good, but in my opinion you should watch Kingsglaive first to get some more background.

The most annoying thing to me are the NPC's that inhabit the world, they don't act realistically. Insomnia has been bombed to pieces and their king is dead, but hey whatever, the inhabitants of Lucis don't really care. They are just chilling at the beach right outside the city you know, as if nothing happened at all. I know that older FF games had these situations as well, but come on, it's nearly 2017... couldn't their behaviour and dialogue be a little more realistic? It breaks the immersion and it makes the main storyline seem unimportant.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@killered3 said:

@Netret0120:

I had my guess that it would range no higher than an 8. I was right!! And I was right for the exact same reasons. Generic music, forgettable characters, uninteresting story... Square Enix really needs to start hiring better writers! See, this was never an issue with Hyperdimension Neptunia rpg's. It already has well written, likeable characters and funny, interesting storylines.

But Final Fantasy 15 still has good gameplay and that's one thing it does better than other jrpg competitors. This isn't much of a loss when you think about it. Final Fantasy 15 still wins the 8/10 for being a good game in itself which is what matters most in the game industry. We can't all be like Uncharted 4, the child with the golden butthole.

Are you serious? You think the Hyperdimensional Neptunia RPGs are well written? Are you insane? It's pretty much a generic story with stereotypic characters that show no progress at all, filled with cheap innuedos and some gaming references. The whole world, especially with the shares, makes no sense at all and Arfoire is probably the worst villain in gaming history. The story is by far HNs weakest point and the characters are only bearable because Neps stupidity is so charming. Other characters like Vert are as bland as it can get.

I also totally disagree on gameplay. All you do is: Switch weapoin to the one that is effective, warp-attack enemy, hole circle until it's dead, warp-attack other enemy, hold circle. Sometimes you need to war somewhere else to heal. Hit L1 for a special attack from time to time and that's pretty much it. If it wasn't for the mana absorbing evading, the game would barely any gameplay and the evading is sadly only something you need in harder fights.

I'd much rather take a turn based strategic gameplay like in HN, where you actually have to think what to do instead of holding circle until nothing moves anymore.

@Netret0120 said:

@killered3: Depending on which website you listen to, the soundtrack is either amazing or forgettable. I think it will come down to your own personal taste at the end of it.

I'd have to disagree on the characters part. All websites have agreed that the main characters are easily the highlight of the whole adventure. I'm 2 hours deep and I can already tell I like them compared to Vanille in FF13 who I wanted to strangle every time she spoke:P

It really seems a love it or hate it game in every aspect. The pros and cons seem to differ a lot between person.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@ArchoNils2:

Boy are you a maximum Nep hater. The biggest charm to Neptunia is it's ability to not take itself too seriously. And the stories are just harmless fun and they reach good points when they want to and it can get serious when it wants to. Very few games ever have dialogue flow as effortlessly as the Neptunia games. The universe is so vast and diverse that there's an infinite number of possibilities. Not every game is even in the same dimension and that's why it's so awesome. You can pick it up at any point and not feel lost.

It's hard to imagine how anyone who likes anime and with a sense of humor could play a Hyperdimension Neptunia game and not enjoy it to some degree.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#172 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19689 Posts

@TheFlush said:

The most annoying thing to me are the NPC's that inhabit the world, they don't act realistically. Insomnia has been bombed to pieces and their king is dead, but hey whatever, the inhabitants of Lucis don't really care. They are just chilling at the beach right outside the city you know, as if nothing happened at all.

Actually, that sounds pretty realistic.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#173 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44702 Posts

Looks possibly better than I'd of thought, but I've still no interest in playing this a this moment. Maybe in the future when on sale. I still have still have yet to beat Type 0 HD anyways.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

Just saw Kingsglaive and the movie was actually pretty good. I almost hope that King Regis gets his own prequel game instead of the gamestop preorder bonus game. Seems like his character has alot of conflict and a deep past to explore. That being said its funny how people are still hating on this game even though its getting good reviews. Its almost like they wanted it to fail soooo bad.

Also big ups to Tabata on releasing this game and listening to the fans. He knows he can't please everyone, but I'm pretty sure he worked his hardest on the game to release it. The story problems don't really concern me too much. Nomura was the one designing the story and it seems that Tabata cut out alot of things to streamline the game. All in all my body is ready. Installing now.....

Avatar image for quakeknight1991
quakeknight1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#175  Edited By quakeknight1991
Member since 2006 • 1528 Posts

@ArchoNils2 said:
@killered3 said:

@Netret0120:

I also totally disagree on gameplay. All you do is: Switch weapoin to the one that is effective, warp-attack enemy, hole circle until it's dead, warp-attack other enemy, hold circle. Sometimes you need to war somewhere else to heal. Hit L1 for a special attack from time to time and that's pretty much it. If it wasn't for the mana absorbing evading, the game would barely any gameplay and the evading is sadly only something you need in harder fights.

I'd much rather take a turn based strategic gameplay like in HN, where you actually have to think what to do instead of holding circle until nothing moves anymore.

There is much more to the combat than "holding circle"

If you just hold circle, you probably end up performing this badly against some of the bosses

Oh yeah and spoilers since its a story boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co2eF-wBGKI

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 298

#176 Sam3231  Online
Member since 2008 • 2989 Posts

I would rather drink bleach blended with dog turds than play Final Fantasy.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Netret0120

@Sam3231 said:

Why?

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 298

#178 Sam3231  Online
Member since 2008 • 2989 Posts

@Netret0120 said:
@Sam3231 said:

Why?

I just don't find the games or their stories very exciting. I tried FFX for PS2 and FF4 for GBA and managed to get 15 hours in both I think and decided turn-based RPG is not for me. FFX bored me to death, but FF4 I think had it's moments but I got stuck somewhere in the game. I prefer the Tales of series RPGs.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

@Sam3231 said:
@Netret0120 said:
@Sam3231 said:

Why?

I just don't find the games or their stories very exciting. I tried FFX for PS2 and FF4 for GBA and managed to get 15 hours in both I think and decided turn-based RPG is not for me. FFX bored me to death, but FF4 I think had it's moments but I got stuck somewhere in the game. I prefer the Tales of series RPGs.

FF 15 isn't turn based.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Ay brehs, PS4 or XOne version? I'm torn. Both seem to have pros and cons (improved clarity and resolution vs stable frametimes). Any consensus on this front?

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1486 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@moistcarrot said:
@DocSanchez said:

@moistcarrot: I bet you it isn't completely empty. Greater space gives you much greater scope for secrets and side quests.

Well I've only played for about 6 hours and the first area you're dumped into is pretty much that, literally a barren wasteland with no interesting landmarks or enemies.

However the next area seems to be more visually appealing and there's actually monsters roaming.

Is the combat sus as ****?

It's ok, feels nothing like Final Fantasy though. More of a flash over substance type of thing I think.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Netret0120

@Dreams-Visions: PS4 Pro.

Final Fantasy has been a PS franchise since 7 and although you can get it on Xbox now, it just feels right to play this game on a PS4 and especially in 4K if you have the TV to do so.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 ZombieProof
Member since 2016 • 359 Posts

Man, I really want to like this joint, but it seems like the character designs are too huge a barrier of entry for me. As an illustrator, I lean heavily on the "form follows function" school of design and all of the characters I've seen, from the quad of dandies you control to the girl with the slutty halloween version a mechanic outfit hit me like a brick wall blocking me from immersion.

After Witcher and Mass Effect, I've also developed zero tolerance for that awkward Japenglish as well. I'd totally play it in japanese with english subs if I did manage to go through it, but I'd rather have voices and dialogue that actually have a bit of grace and narrative nuance. Every time I hear an awkward Japenglish "gasp", or "huh?" its another nail in the coffin.

Maybe my biases will lessen the more I see of it. As it stands, its a tough sell for me :/

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#184  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@Dreams-Visions said:

Any consensus on this front?

There will never be... about anythig

thecreechxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 thecreechxxx
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts

@Netret0120 said:

Final Fantasy has been a PS franchise since 7 and although you can get it on Xbox now, it just feels right to play this game on a PS4 and especially in 4K if you have the TV to do so.

If the 4k adds something, that is a valid point. However, this idea that it is a PS franchise is silly. 1-6 were on nintendo systems, 7 was on the pc. So out of the 15 games if we don't count sequels (which will work against this arguement anyways) only 4 were PS exclusives. So based on quantity this is a PC / Nintendo Franchise.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@Netret0120 said:

lol ^^ There is not a single PS-exclusive FF out there once the FF12 ort makes it to PC.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@Dreams-Visions said:

Ay brehs, PS4 or XOne version? I'm torn. Both seem to have pros and cons (improved clarity and resolution vs stable frametimes). Any consensus on this front?

Holy shit there's a blast from the past! Good to see you dude!

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Ultimate collectors edition for PS4.

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 OmniChris
Member since 2016 • 413 Posts

I must be one of the very few people that is getting a strong sense of meh and boredom playing this right now cause all I see is constant praise. So yeah, I'm playing this game and it just feels like every other copy paster open world games out there. Literally go to outpost, pick up generic fetch quest / hunt with no story, go to waypoint, hack away at enemy with the extremely shallow and button mashy combat system come back get EXP / Gil. Rince and repeat. Then continue on through main story which is apparently not so interesting.. Dull characters, dull story, dull art direction, dull soundtrack, dull everything. Best Final Fantasy yet 8/10. Awesome.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Netret0120
@thecreechxxx said:
@Netret0120 said:

If the 4k adds something, that is a valid point. However, this idea that it is a PS franchise is silly. 1-6 were on nintendo systems, 7 was on the pc. So out of the 15 games if we don't count sequels (which will work against this arguement anyways) only 4 were PS exclusives. So based on quantity this is a PC / Nintendo Franchise.

I guess you should go play it on PC or a Nintendo console then...... Oh wait!

I was comparing Final Fantasy on Xbox vs PS. It is not even a contest. Hence why I said what I said in the previous post it should be played on a Sony Console.

@ArchoNils2 said:
@Netret0120 said:

lol ^^ There is not a single PS-exclusive FF out there once the FF12 ort makes it to PC.

Read above.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#191 GameboyTroy  Online
Member since 2011 • 9750 Posts

Here's more gameplay

Loading Video...

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#192 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

@Jag85: Ha. Yes, this has bothered me at times too. But then I think about how people have carried on despite the outcome of this election cycle, and somehow it doesn't seem so farfetched.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#193 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14947 Posts

@zombieproof said:

Man, I really want to like this joint, but it seems like the character designs are too huge a barrier of entry for me. As an illustrator, I lean heavily on the "form follows function" school of design and all of the characters I've seen, from the quad of dandies you control to the girl with the slutty halloween version a mechanic outfit hit me like a brick wall blocking me from immersion.

After Witcher and Mass Effect, I've also developed zero tolerance for that awkward Japenglish as well. I'd totally play it in japanese with english subs if I did manage to go through it, but I'd rather have voices and dialogue that actually have a bit of grace and narrative nuance. Every time I hear an awkward Japenglish "gasp", or "huh?" its another nail in the coffin.

Maybe my biases will lessen the more I see of it. As it stands, its a tough sell for me :/

Whats worse is the poor voice acting and the Japanese stereotypes of American characters. Cindy is awful, a southern stereotype that sounds like a southerner but has Texan dialogue, its awful. Several NPCs are also face palm worthy.

Remember the trash lady in Deus Ex Human Revolution, Cindy is a white southern version of her.

SquareEnix should have followed CD Projeckt RED and wrote the game in English, or followed DONTNOD;s example and hire American writers.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

It's ok. I'm getting tired of the open word obsession.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#195 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@Netret0120 said:

that's because Vanille was always trying to be super kawaii like...easily the most annoying character in FF13.

After reading several reviews might pop one in the Christmas stocking for the bro in law. :P

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By OmniChris
Member since 2016 • 413 Posts

For those with a Pro and 4k I would not recommend playing this in High Res mode, the framerate is absolute ass. Switched it back to Lite Res and HDR and immediately noticed a difference. The game is a bit more enjoyable for me now that the framerate isn't jerking all over the place.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#197 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

It's 84/100 today.

Gears 4>weaboo crap HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#198 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Kashiwaba: Explain MGS5 10/10 please.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@Netret0120 said:
@dobzilian said:

Not going to bother reading reviews since 13 was reviewed as a "good \ great " which it seriously wasn't.

The Demo was quite poor and the battle system felt sluggish but this is to be expected with such a demo which showed so little of the combat aspect of the game and more to do with showing graphics which isn't the main reason anyone plays a jrpg.

Will get when discounted after Xmas.

The next RPG which is definitely being brought is

SOUTH PARK

Me too! The Stick of truth was fantastic

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Fractured, But Whole.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

So far about 4 hours in and I wish I hadn't purchased it, combat just plain sucks. Fishing is kind of fun!