excuse me, Lair looks HORRIBLE (no 56k)

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheSpidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 TheSpidren
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

I'm a gamer.
I'd rather there be great games with great graphics on all sorts of consoles instead of trying to 'bring a game down'. The more the merrier imo.

But dudes... seriously... what's with Lair?
These graphics are HORRIBLE.

http://www.destructoid.com/new-screenshots-lair-on-the-ps3-30052.phtml 
(new screenshots)

Seriously? IS THIS 'GOOD GRAPHICS'?
Now I'm not trying to diss the PS3 or anything, because it has similar hardware to that of the 360 and can produce some sweet looking games (motorstorm anyone?)

But wtf happened with lair... :/

In the first screenshot:
a) look at that water.
b) look at the solid stiff looking shadows
c) look at the jaggedy terrain in the background
d) look at the blurry low res textures

*sigh* Someone tell me these are 5 year old screenshots or something please? Surely these cannot be recent ones??

Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Kaosed
Member since 2006 • 3409 Posts
if i were u i would run to the tallest mountain and hide in the deepst cave, cause the cow army is coming
-Reggaeton-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Reggaeton-
Member since 2007 • 2392 Posts

I'm a gamer.
I'd rather there be great games with great graphics on all sorts of consoles instead of trying to 'bring a game down'. The more the merrier imo.

(new screenshots)

Now I'm not trying to diss the PS3 or anything, because it has similar hardware to that of the 360 and can produce some sweet looking games (motorstorm anyone?)

In the first screenshot:
a) look at that water.

*sigh* Someone tell me these are 5 year old screenshots or something please? Surely these cannot be recent ones??

TheSpidren

Look at the gameplay vids instead. 

Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kaosed
Member since 2006 • 3409 Posts
[QUOTE="TheSpidren"]

I'm a gamer.

(new screenshots)

In the first screenshot:
a) look at that water.

-Reggaeton-

so cows r now using sheep logic? 

TheSpidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheSpidren
[QUOTE="TheSpidren"]

I'm a gamer.

(new screenshots)

In the first screenshot:
a) look at that water.

-Reggaeton-

Why look at a video that is smaller and moves things faster when I have a big pic to look at right here to see the details up close?
Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
That looks perfectly fine to me I don't see what your problem is. Something like that ends up looking really good in motion with hundreds of dragons and huge environments.
mightyboosh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 mightyboosh13
Member since 2006 • 705 Posts
It doesnt look great but the game seems to be more about gameplay and freedom. I do wish that PS3 fanboys had not of compared lair to gears or ME or whatever else... Games arent about graphics but PS3 seem to forget that. It was once their strong point and MS fanboys weak point. I think Lair could be great. Not on looks but maybe other aspects...
asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts
How about we wait until the game is actually out to say it looks horrible? :roll:
ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
It looks like pic taken from bad video.......I've seen it in motion and it looks good.
-Reggaeton-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Reggaeton-
Member since 2007 • 2392 Posts

How about we wait until the game is actually out to say it looks horrible? :roll:asdasd

No i think its better to call it system wars is over when the other systems have been out for a couple of months WW and with game demos. And remember the ps3 UK launch was a flop even when it made records.

rocklegacy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 rocklegacy2
Member since 2005 • 8428 Posts
Consdering the vast playing field and amount of enemies, I'd say that was pretty good.
conceru3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 conceru3
Member since 2007 • 507 Posts
The art style is nice, the graphics totally mediocre i agree, motorstorm did not impress me at all too, but NG:Sigma and Heavely Sword are real stunners, i will egt them buysget priced with my PS3 late 2008 or 2009
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
How about we wait until the game is actually out to say it looks horrible? :roll:asdasd
Agreed. Clearly flamebait.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
yeah, i'm curious how it will look in final gameplay.. screens don't look that good
TheSpidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheSpidren
[QUOTE="asdasd"]How about we wait until the game is actually out to say it looks horrible? :roll:asmallchild
Agreed. Clearly flamebait.

Not flamebait. Reality-check bait. People say these screens are awesome (on the original site which I linked), but, they are far from awesome imo. I can't believe people actually think this is good graphics. Hopefully it will be better in the end, dragons are cool.
rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts
If those are new graphics then ya maybe they were downgarded some. Those monster things still look kinda cool looking but ya this will not be on the level of Mass Effect
trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
Those pics have been tampered with, i've seen them befor and they looked a hell lot better then. You phail.
trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
The art style is nice, the graphics totally mediocre i agree, motorstorm did not impress me at all too, but NG:Sigma and Heavely Sword are real stunners, i will egt them buysget priced with my PS3 late 2008 or 2009conceru3
Have you tryed Motorstorm? cause if you havn't tryed it running on a HDTV you should realy not be talking. How is it not impressive?
TheSpidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheSpidren
[QUOTE="trasherhead"]Those pics have been tampered with, i've seen them befor and they looked a hell lot better then. You phail.

Are you accusing me of tampering with the pics? You phail at dishing out phailure. They're like that on the site. If you find the 'original' pics, feel free to post them here.
twags82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 twags82
Member since 2003 • 4531 Posts

Wishful thinking.  As soon as a game releases pics, everyone starts claiming ownage in some way or hyping it. 

dackchaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dackchaar
Member since 2005 • 3668 Posts
[QUOTE="-Reggaeton-"][QUOTE="TheSpidren"]

I'm a gamer.

(new screenshots)

In the first screenshot:
a) look at that water.

TheSpidren

Why look at a video that is smaller and moves things faster when I have a big pic to look at right here to see the details up close?

Because when you're playing the game, you don't stare at a screenshot, everything goes in motion and looks alot better. 

Doomshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Doomshine
Member since 2004 • 908 Posts

[QUOTE="trasherhead"]Those pics have been tampered with, i've seen them befor and they looked a hell lot better then. You phail.TheSpidren
Are you accusing me of tampering with the pics? You phail at dishing out phailure. They're like that on the site. If you find the 'original' pics, feel free to post them here.

Hey, Forza 2 developers complained about jpeg compression, I guess anything is possible. 

real_nimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 real_nimrod
Member since 2004 • 852 Posts

Those pics have been tampered with, i've seen them befor and they looked a hell lot better then. You phail.trasherhead

link me please :)

MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts

everything in that picture looks, bad.

Dragons textures are terribly low, land textures are low, water looks like...not water. 

TheSpidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheSpidren

everything in that picture looks, bad.

Dragons textures are terribly low, land textures are low, water looks like...not water.

MrGrimFandango
See? This dude gets it. And his name is MrGrimFandango! Awesome game! I rebought it last week :) (my original cd was messed)
Zandeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zandeus
Member since 2006 • 3124 Posts
gotta agree with the TC here, this game looks horrid, I can't figure out why Cows are hyping it so much... I mean, cmon, hype Heavenly Sword or something, not this pile of low res trash!
Tamarind_Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tamarind_Face
Member since 2007 • 2270 Posts
I like the concept art and graphics of Lair, the game looks like a an epic painting just like 300.
greenleaflink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 greenleaflink
Member since 2006 • 3686 Posts
dude whats wrong with that? if that wa son the wii id be gleaming with joy. its 1st year give it time look at god of war, okami, how that looked on a ps2
dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dubvisions
Member since 2006 • 1815 Posts
The screen shots chosen do make the game look pretty horrible. I've seen other screens, though, that looked stellar. In what part of the development process were the pictures taken? Doesn;t that make a difference? I guess we'll have to wait and see how it really is.
Citan_Uzuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Citan_Uzuki
Member since 2002 • 1865 Posts

How about looking at these pic if you won't watch the video. I'm prety skeptical about lair's gameplay but its graphics are really good especially in motion. you may not think the graphics the best out there but to think its ugly is just wrong.

taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 taker42
Member since 2007 • 1614 Posts
Nothing wrong with lair's graphics, problem is its imo horrendous and utterly boring artstyle.
TheSpidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheSpidren

To the dude who posted the dozen of pics:
no shadows:fail
in the one pic with the awesome dragon model, the terrain is horrid: fail

can't say much for the rest :/

dude whats wrong with that? if that wa son the wii id be gleaming with joy. its 1st year give it time look at god of war, okami, how that looked on a ps2greenleaflink

I'm not saying the PS3 WON'T have any better looking games in the future, of course it will, but that doesn't change the fact that THIS GAME, LAIR, looks below standard atm :/ (in comparison with other games in the same time frame)

Oh and yes you'd be gleaming with joy if it was on the Wii, but the Wii is a 200$ console whereas the PS3 is a 600$ console so you'd expect better graphics. You should get what you pay for, that's what I'm saying.
But wtf I'm not even talking about the PS3, I'm talking about Lair.

Corvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Corvin
Member since 2002 • 7266 Posts

I don't know if I would say horrible graphics.  Messy, maybe.  Uninspired, perhaps.  I think the dragons are quite boring for a game where they are supposed to be the showcase (at least that's what I've been led to believe).   I don't know what it is about the shots, maybe its the lighting or textures or something but the dragons just seems like flying brown blobs, I have a hard time making out their features sometimes because they are just so mono-chromatically brown.

CalmityDaunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CalmityDaunt
Member since 2006 • 296 Posts

[QUOTE="greenleaflink"]dude whats wrong with that? if that wa son the wii id be gleaming with joy. its 1st year give it time look at god of war, okami, how that looked on a ps2TheSpidren

I'm not saying the PS3 WON'T have any better looking games in the future, of course it will, but that doesn't change the fact that THIS GAME, LAIR, looks below standard atm :/ (in comparison with other games in the same time frame)

Oh and yes you'd be gleaming with joy if it was on the Wii, but the Wii is a 200$ console whereas the PS3 is a 600$ console so you'd expect better graphics. You should get what you pay for, that's what I'm saying.

Ah fanboy's talking out their ass again sigh.
Avatar image for yoddahasbadodda
yoddahasbadodda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 yoddahasbadodda
Member since 2007 • 155 Posts
imho lair isnt impressive, the environment is too dull.
Citan_Uzuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Citan_Uzuki
Member since 2002 • 1865 Posts

I don't know if I would say horrible graphics. Messy, maybe. Uninspired, perhaps. I think the dragons are quite boring for a game where they are supposed to be the showcase (at least that's what I've been led to believe). I don't know what it is about the shots, maybe its the lighting or textures or something but the dragons just seems like flying brown blobs, I have a hard time making out their features sometimes because they are just so mono-chromatically brown.

Corvin

I agree on the game's look but I hold judgement seeing as apparently they have only shown one level/area in the game so it may get better artistically. technically the graphics ase pretty impressive in motion, the game does have shadows if you watch the video they appear sporadically so its probably something they are working on as the game has like 2-3 months left and most videos are at least a month old. Its obvious the TC is flamebaiting though as he said he won't watch the video then gives a almost funny response about pics being better than video to judge a game accurately when it comes to graphics.  

taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 taker42
Member since 2007 • 1614 Posts

I don't know if I would say horrible graphics. Messy, maybe. Uninspired, perhaps. I think the dragons are quite boring for a game where they are supposed to be the showcase (at least that's what I've been led to believe). I don't know what it is about the shots, maybe its the lighting or textures or something but the dragons just seems like flying brown blobs, I have a hard time making out their features sometimes because they are just so mono-chromatically brown.

Corvin
My sentiments exactly.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts

TheSpidren

considering your first post claimed you wish games could 'just look great on every console', you sure seem determined to find fault with Lair's graphics. 

real_nimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 real_nimrod
Member since 2004 • 852 Posts

[QUOTE="greenleaflink"]dude whats wrong with that? if that wa son the wii id be gleaming with joy. its 1st year give it time look at god of war, okami, how that looked on a ps2TheSpidren

i just watched the 15 minute interview on ign - There are lots more enviroments, including cities, ice and vegatation levels. Its kinda harsh to judge a game on the rock areas - the buildings in the bridge level (or part of a level) look good.  There ARE shadows, and remember there are gonna be over 2000 people on screen at once, each with their own shadow so its believable that they aren't gonna be as detailed as the 10-15 people max on GeOW...

Ericvon71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ericvon71
Member since 2004 • 3219 Posts

I'm a gamer.

(new screenshots)

In the first screenshot:
a) look at that water.

TheSpidren

What is really ironic is the claim of being a "Gamer" but the thing you harp on the most is graphics.................LOL

Yep you are a true "GAMER"

Chofee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chofee
Member since 2004 • 194 Posts

How about you apply the same argument on yourself when hyping a game for the way it looks? :roll: 

amourkiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#43 amourkiss
Member since 2003 • 1751 Posts

just consider how large the landscape is

GeoW is beautiful, but just consider how small its battlefield is

Lair is beautiful with no doubt, it just looks like a movie in motion :)

Solid-CELL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Solid-CELL
Member since 2006 • 5910 Posts

never knew graphics for a AAA potential game can be judged by using screen shots alone..

oh no, wait you cant... :|

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

I'm still curious what this game is actually about...

All i hear about is graphics and that dragons fight.

Squall_Griver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Squall_Griver
Member since 2006 • 3607 Posts
lets look at it this way
the games not done yet their still working on the graphics (like insomniac did with resistance)
every time they relesed a resistance pic on the internets it looked better and better
conceru3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 conceru3
Member since 2007 • 507 Posts

[QUOTE="conceru3"]The art style is nice, the graphics totally mediocre i agree, motorstorm did not impress me at all too, but NG:Sigma and Heavely Sword are real stunners, i will egt them buysget priced with my PS3 late 2008 or 2009trasherhead
Have you tryed Motorstorm? cause if you havn't tryed it running on a HDTV you should realy not be talking. How is it not impressive?

It has no stuff around the levels likethe stunning Colin, sorry, it just is empty, a lot similar to emtyness of Lair that is

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Alright, if Lair looks bad, then show me a game that looks good.
TheSpidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheSpidren
Alright, if Lair looks bad, then show me a game that looks good.foxhound_fox
Mass Effect Crysis Colin Mcrae DIRT Bioshock
hyperboy152000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hyperboy152000
Member since 2003 • 4815 Posts

[QUOTE="trasherhead"][QUOTE="conceru3"]The art style is nice, the graphics totally mediocre i agree, motorstorm did not impress me at all too, but NG:Sigma and Heavely Sword are real stunners, i will egt them buysget priced with my PS3 late 2008 or 2009conceru3

It has no stuff around the levels likethe stunning Colin, sorry, it just is empty, a lot similar to emtyness of Lair that is

the screenshots with more characters on screen then you can count say otherwise (LAIR i mean)