Escapist: Developers struggling with Wii U. Cheap and faulty controller!

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112551-Rumor-Cheap-Components-Hurting-Wii-U-Development

(Can't seem to link for some reason, what's up with that?)

Sorry if repost (didn't see anything like it)

Anyways,

French technology site, 01net, is reporting that developers are having difficulties making games for the Wii U. Sources suggest that the problem is the hardware built into the Wii U's unique controller, which isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing.

... the wireless function of the Wii U's controller does not work at all even after three different prototypes.

... developers are using a wired controller, which still doesn't work properly, even with Nintendo sending software updates for it on an almost daily basis. Supposedly, the chip that powers controller is a little on the cheap side, which is making it impossible for developers to work on the Wii U's more interesting and unique features.

If the rumors are true - and 01net has a good track record in that department - it sounds like someone at Nintendo has made a really, really big mistake. Nintendo has hardly been secretive about the fact that it wants to keep manufacturing costs down for the Wii U, but it sounds like it might have to go back to the drawing board - literally - if it can't get the current hardware to work.

Escapist

If Nintendo has to redesign a whole new controller.... that will completely kill my hype for the Wii U. This is the one console I was actually thinking about picking up launch day but...

Who knows? Maybe many development phases for all systems are like this... that's why it is called development right? I'm no industry expert though and could very well be wrong :P

Anyways, discuss.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Kind of old news, and if they are struggling with it its because, a) still in development b) early dev kits.

So, nothing to be worried that cannot be fixed by Nintendo.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Oh noes! A console in development is having problems! What ever shall we do!?!

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Does this mean it'll hurt my chances of getting No More Heroes 3!?:cry:

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Wasdie

Why send them dev kits? I don't really understand what nintendo is about here, wouldn't their own internal teams have encountered this problem before 3rd parties?

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#6 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
This wouldn't be a external design kind of problem, but an internal one since it is the guts of the controller that are giving them the grief (although the wireless issue might be a bit of both, although I doubt it). So, assuming they do fix it properly, and I'll give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt that they will as it would be seriously stupid to not do so, and out of character for Nintendo as well, I would likewise assume that the end product controller from the user perspective would be no different, or so little different that we wouldn't notice.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Hmmm... to trust some French site saying developers are having a hard time making games, or trust the CEO's and directors from those companies who are saying it is simple to develop for. The Darksiders developer ported their engine in a few weeks with a couple people. The big wigs were praising the ease of use of the place-holder SDK's at E3. So what has changed? And which developer is complaining?
MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts

Kind of old news, and if they are struggling with it its because, a) still in development b) early dev kits.

madsnakehhh
Except the console is a year away (give or take) supposedly. I would be kind of afraid if my controller wasn't working yet.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

This is the one console I was actually thinking about picking up launch day but...

commonfate
Son, please don't. If this gen has taught us anything, its don't buy any Nintendo products on day 1. We had the Wii, which I only has like 5 "gamer" games worth playing on it, then we had the 3DS which nintendo is practically admitting to being a flop. I would wait on the Wii u for a 9-12 months, and see if its actually doing any good, then buy it. Chances are, if u buy it day one, it will be 50% off within the next 3 months.
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

I don't think it's a big deal at all. It's new tech and it's in the development phase anyhow. All will be well. I just want one of those damned controllers in my hand!

ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
That's interesting considering no developer has stated this. The darksiders developers ported the game to the Wii U in a matter of weeks with all but 5 people was it? Then you have other developers who say it's been easy to develop on it, sorry but I don't believe this.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Hmmm... to trust some French site saying developers are having a hard time making games, or trust the CEO's and directors from those companies who are saying it is simple to develop for. The Darksiders developer ported their engine in a few weeks with a couple people. The big wigs were praising the ease of use of the place-holder SDK's at E3. So what has changed? And which developer is complaining? foxhound_fox

Porting something to the Wii U is not the same as the controller is giving is problems the game can run well and be ported easily, that doesn't mean the controller is fully co-operating with them..... the issue that developers are having is using the features of the Wii U controller apparently so..

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 madsnakehhh

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

MrGrimFandango

Except the console is a year away (give or take) supposedly. I would be kind of afraid if my controller wasn't working yet.

In the worst case, the console will be delayed, is not the first time that Nintendo delays a console.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 commonfate

Wasdie

Call the presses! :cry:

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 commonfate

Guys learn not to cherry pick.

The problem isn't with the Wii U itself but the controller.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
considering they're trying to win 3rd parties over with the wii u, they REALLY need to get it to work. and soon. or else they'll end up jumping ship. and fast.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
[QUOTE="commonfate"]

This is the one console I was actually thinking about picking up launch day but...

II_Seraphim_II
Son, please don't. If this gen has taught us anything, its don't buy any Nintendo products on day 1. We had the Wii, which I only has like 5 "gamer" games worth playing on it, then we had the 3DS which nintendo is practically admitting to being a flop. I would wait on the Wii u for a 9-12 months, and see if its actually doing any good, then buy it. Chances are, if u buy it day one, it will be 50% off within the next 3 months.

, there are people that actually think that there are only 5 worth playing games on the wii :?
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts
the wiiu will be DOA and it will take nintendo down with them. clealy something going wrong during development means its all over :P. seriously whether its true or not its nothing to worry about. hell the PS2 needed to be recalled because of a bug with DVD playback or somehing close to launch and both the PS2 and xbox1 power cables needed to replace over fire concerns and yet they ticked along nicely. the wiiu is still in development....its not final and its not even close to out yet. if its true then ninty can change and fix it. nothing to worry about..its all part of the process.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 madsnakehhh

[QUOTE="commonfate"]

II_Seraphim_II

What are this "gamer" games you speak of?

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 commonfate

the wiiu will be DOA and it will take nintendo down with them. clealy something going wrong during development means its all over :P. seriously whether its true or not its nothing to worry about. hell the PS2 needed to be recalled because of a bug with DVD playback or somehing close to launch and both the PS2 and xbox1 power cables needed to replace over fire concerns and yet they ticked along nicely. the wiiu is still in development....its not final and its not even close to out yet. if its true then ninty can change and fix it. nothing to worry about..its all part of the process.osan0

Thank you for quelling my fears.

Hype for Wii U still at 100% :P

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i don't think they have to redesign the controller as much as they have to fix the hardware issues. of course, that may prove to make the controller more expensive than they wanted, and THAT could lead nintendo to going back to the drawing board. wouldn't be the first time they announce something and then pretend it never existed *cough*vitalitysensor*cough*
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Hmmm... to trust some French site saying developers are having a hard time making games, or trust the CEO's and directors from those companies who are saying it is simple to develop for. The Darksiders developer ported their engine in a few weeks with a couple people. The big wigs were praising the ease of use of the place-holder SDK's at E3. So what has changed? And which developer is complaining?

"that one indie guy who paid some extra to get himself one" might count as "developers" :P
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i don't think they have to redesign the controller as much as they have to fix the hardware issues. of course, that may prove to make the controller more expensive than they wanted, and THAT could lead nintendo to going back to the drawing board. wouldn't be the first time they announce something and then pretend it never existed *cough*vitalitysensor*cough*

lol i forget about the vitality sensor. i think they just wanted something to to announce at that e3 and generate some buzz :lol:
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

GD1551

Why send them dev kits? I don't really understand what nintendo is about here, wouldn't their own internal teams have encountered this problem before 3rd parties?

That's what I was wondering. Nintendo should already know about any potential problems seeing as they've already developed several games for it. Not to mention Ubisoft seemed to understand it as well with their Alien game from E3.

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

I wasn't buying this at launch anyway. My PS3 will still be able to handle my gaming needs. The only way I would get it at launch is if Smash Brothers or Pikmin 3 were launch games.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="commonfate"]

II_Seraphim_II

I hate bringing out the massive list of games I still have to buy.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 commonfate

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="commonfate"]

super600

You won't do it!

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] Son, please don't. If this gen has taught us anything, its don't buy any Nintendo products on day 1. We had the Wii, which I only has like 5 "gamer" games worth playing on it, then we had the 3DS which nintendo is practically admitting to being a flop. I would wait on the Wii u for a 9-12 months, and see if its actually doing any good, then buy it. Chances are, if u buy it day one, it will be 50% off within the next 3 months.commonfate

You won't do it!

I would do it now, but I'm not wasting my time.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 commonfate

[QUOTE="commonfate"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

super600

You won't do it!

I would do it now, but I'm not wasting my time.

You won't do it!

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

super600

Go for it. Lets see this "massive" list. :P

Seriously. The Wii has hardly had any games the last TWO years (other than a busy holiday season). What more downtime do you need to catch up on this "massive" list? :question:

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#31 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

HEH I knew! The WiiU is going to be delayed!

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] Son, please don't. If this gen has taught us anything, its don't buy any Nintendo products on day 1. We had the Wii, which I only has like 5 "gamer" games worth playing on it, then we had the 3DS which nintendo is practically admitting to being a flop. I would wait on the Wii u for a 9-12 months, and see if its actually doing any good, then buy it. Chances are, if u buy it day one, it will be 50% off within the next 3 months.2Chalupas

Go for it. Lets see this "massive" list. :P

Seriously. The Wii has hardly had any games the last TWO years (other than a busy holiday season). What more downtime do you need to catch up on this "massive" list? :question:

I'll link it in this thread when GS fixes their annoying linking problem.Just search the list up on Metacritc and I think a couple of the wii users that have more games then me can give you an accurate representation of the list.

SteamedBennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SteamedBennet
Member since 2011 • 534 Posts

Guys learn not to cherry pick.

The problem isn't with the Wii U itself but the controller.

commonfate

Surely the controller makes the console what it is... Without it it might as well be an xbox/ps3.

I'll believe it when I hear more from other developers also complaining about the same issue.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

darksider devs siad it was pretty easy to develop for.... :? oh well. ill just wait & see

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

Hmmm... to trust some French site saying developers are having a hard time making games, or trust the CEO's and directors from those companies who are saying it is simple to develop for. The Darksiders developer ported their engine in a few weeks with a couple people. The big wigs were praising the ease of use of the place-holder SDK's at E3. So what has changed? And which developer is complaining? foxhound_fox

I think there is a big difference between how easy it is to make games for the Wii U and whether or not hardware malfunctions are keeping those games from working properly. These are two completely different issues. The article clearly states the problem is that cheap components in the controller are preventing things from working the way they are supposed to.

That has nothing to do with whether or not developers can easily make games for the console. It is the difference between saying "drawing is easy" and then trying to draw with a crappy pencil that keeps breaking.

All Nintendo has to do is find out why the Wifi/sensor chip isn't working properly and fix it. It is one piece and they have a while yet before the console even comes out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

You'd think Nintendo, a company that has standardized wireless controllers (wavebird & Wiimote) would have easily made a properly working wireless controller tablet. Especially with all the a cash they made from Wii sales, youd think R&D would have some high standards.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

Shinobishyguy

, there are people that actually think that there are only 5 worth playing games on the wii :?

Obviously 5 is an exaggeration for the sake of making a point. My point is that the same core gamers that made Nintendo the company it is today, got shafted with the Wii. Sure there were some great core games like SMG and so on, but overall, its an undeniable truth that Nintendo has focused more on the casual market than the core market. I'm sure there are some casual games u love, and thats perfectly fine, but im more of a core gamer, and I cant think of more than 10-15 games on the Wii that I could see myself buying at full price. Maybe a discounted price, or as a trade, but not fork up the full money. And my mistake, byt "gamer" games, i meant core games. There is a sever lack of core games on the Wii and I feel that Ninty abandonned the people who made them rich in the first place. I have nothing against investing on the casual market, since its a big money maker. My only problem is that they did it at the expense of the core market.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Does the term "development" not ring a bell?

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
im not worried, its not like nintendo will just release the console not working properly lol, when has nintendo ever released unreliable hardware
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Good, now these kinks can be worked out in the many months we still have until release.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

im not worried, its not like nintendo will just release the console not working properly lol, when has nintendo ever released unreliable hardwareTH1Sx1SxSPARTA

:P

Oooops, my mouse slipped.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Pfft. I posted this a few days ago and didn't even get a 2nd page of comments :(

But from actual devs such as Vigil, who we know are working with it, have stated no problems what-so-ever working with the machine. Rumors just be rumors this time.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Cheapness and overpricing is what defines Nintendo lately. Cheapness is confirmed and overpricing should be announce in the months to come. Redesigning (removing useless screen and put proper analogs) is what they should do before releasing this thing.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#44 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Luckily changes can still be made, it is in development.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] Son, please don't. If this gen has taught us anything, its don't buy any Nintendo products on day 1. We had the Wii, which I only has like 5 "gamer" games worth playing on it, then we had the 3DS which nintendo is practically admitting to being a flop. I would wait on the Wii u for a 9-12 months, and see if its actually doing any good, then buy it. Chances are, if u buy it day one, it will be 50% off within the next 3 months.II_Seraphim_II

Obviously 5 is an exaggeration for the sake of making a point. My point is that the same core gamers that made Nintendo the company it is today, got shafted with the Wii. Sure there were some great core games like SMG and so on, but overall, its an undeniable truth that Nintendo has focused more on the casual market than the core market. I'm sure there are some casual games u love, and thats perfectly fine, but im more of a core gamer, and I cant think of more than 10-15 games on the Wii that I could see myself buying at full price. Maybe a discounted price, or as a trade, but not fork up the full money. And my mistake, byt "gamer" games, i meant core games. There is a sever lack of core games on the Wii and I feel that Ninty abandonned the people who made them rich in the first place. I have nothing against investing on the casual market, since its a big money maker. My only problem is that they did it at the expense of the core market.

I still don't see how nintendo "abandoned their core fanbase" when they pretty much did the same thing that they did with the GC and n64 as far as their core games are concerned.

Hell they even brought back IP's like DK, punchout and kirby.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

Thank God it's not being released tomorrow.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Hmmm... to trust some French site saying developers are having a hard time making games, or trust the CEO's and directors from those companies who are saying it is simple to develop for. The Darksiders developer ported their engine in a few weeks with a couple people. The big wigs were praising the ease of use of the place-holder SDK's at E3. So what has changed? And which developer is complaining? ZIMdoom

I think there is a big difference between how easy it is to make games for the Wii U and whether or not hardware malfunctions are keeping those games from working properly. These are two completely different issues. The article clearly states the problem is that cheap components in the controller are preventing things from working the way they are supposed to.

That has nothing to do with whether or not developers can easily make games for the console. It is the difference between saying "drawing is easy" and then trying to draw with a crappy pencil that keeps breaking.

All Nintendo has to do is find out why the Wifi/sensor chip isn't working properly and fix it. It is one piece and they have a while yet before the console even comes out.

if it wasn't doing what they wanted, then it wouldn't be easy to develop. what you call "two issues" are actually just one.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Cutting corners again, oh Nintendo what has become of you.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

If I remember correctly the Playstation 3 had a bunch of problems with teh Cell, blu-ray laser diode, controller issues, a good amount of RSX problems before it launched.

Oh Noes!!! The Playstation 3 is going to FAILZ!!!

oh btw: this was 4 months before launch as well. Not a year before launch like this. =p

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
i take some of the first third and fifth option.