EA, Battlefield 3 is a PC exclusive and it will blow you away.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#201 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I loved Battlefield 2. But to EA......

Put out or shut up. I won't believe it until I see it.

If it's as good as they say it will be then I might do an early upgrade. My last two PCs prior to this current one were assembled (2001 and 2005) with BF1942 and BF2 in mind.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

The way EA is going regarding DRM, I don't think I'd even consider BF3 unless it hit consoles.

hyperboy152000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 hyperboy152000
Member since 2003 • 4815 Posts

The way EA is going regarding DRM, I don't think I'd even consider BF3 unless it hit consoles.

Puckhog04

yea i loved BF2 played it to hell and back, but the fact that it takes so damn long to load a map, even if its the same one you were just playing due to their system re-checking if you have a valid licence for the game is pure BS, now with that being said, that was still better then the "solutions" developers/publishers come up with now, and i wouldnt mind if that was the worst of their DRM "solution" for BF3

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#204 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21711 Posts

I can't wait.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

Puckhog04

Umm... ok. I don't see how DRM for BF:BC2 was that bad. You got a choice of whether to add DRM w/o disk or no DRM with disk. BF2 required a disk for the longest time so at least you can do the same thing as before.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#206 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

[QUOTE="LeadnSteel"]

I don't think there will be a battlefield 3 for a long time. With the way PC gaming has been lately we may not even get one.

kozzy1234

PC gaming is perfectly fine, Digital Download sales last year where more then ps3 and 360 game sales combined. But you say PC gaming is TEH DEAD?
GImme abreak!

That's not true. A biased conclusion from a misleading information.

MangaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 MangaJ
Member since 2008 • 1435 Posts

Thank GOD! Battlefield needs to be on PCs first, consoles second. No more of this bad company stuff.

Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

Battlefield 3 will be on consoles. Just like battlefield 2 was.

I'm just hoping bf3 is build up for pc then ported and gimped to consoles. Not like battlefield bad company 2 (good game still) where it was build up to consoles then ported to pc with minor improvements.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#209 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

I'm just hoping bf3 is build up for pc then ported and gimped to consoles. Not like battlefield bad company 2 (good game still) where it was build up to consoles then ported to pc with minor improvements.

Nohtnym
Battlefield 2 was on consoles? That's new to me. And i don't think consoles can handle what the developers have in mind.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Mystic-G

Nohtnym

Eh, I doubt that. BF2: Modern Combat was no where near the same game as BF2 was, so I dunno why you're pretending that it was a port. Consoles already have their console Battlefield game, it's called Bad Company. I don't think DICE were holding out on consoles. There's a pretty good chance that a game like BF3 just isn't possible from a technical aspect for consoles.

As it stands now, BC2's maps alone are enough for them to use zero anti-aliasing, BF3 would cause them to degrade textures and geometries. Then there's the aspect of getting 64 players (or more) to work on their engine for consoles. I predict that BC3 will be the consoles BF3, I'm not hating on consoles, I just don't think it's possible on the Frostbite engine without looking like shart.

1q3er5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 1q3er5
Member since 2003 • 759 Posts
[QUOTE="Nohtnym"]

THIS
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

Battlefield 2 was not on consoles...the games werent even similar.

Ultizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Ultizer
Member since 2010 • 1037 Posts

EA are god tier this gen

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#214 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

Mystic-G

Umm... ok. I don't see how DRM for BF:BC2 was that bad. You got a choice of whether to add DRM w/o disk or no DRM with disk. BF2 required a disk for the longest time so at least you can do the same thing as before.

You're failing to consider EA's new initiative in this area. I wouldn't count on it being exclusively for consoles. In the end it's about increasing profit, and so you shouldn't be surprised if they give it a go wherever applicable. BC2 is kind of a test bad for the tolerance of this kind of crap in PC land. The maps are being withheld for PC as well. I imagine it's difficult for pirates to gain access to them...as well, I should say. Because this punishes everyone. It's the worst god damn DRM I can think of, and if they pull the same stuff with Battlefield 3 as they did with BC2 I will not be purchasing it.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"]

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

InsaneBasura

You're failing to consider EA's new initiative in this area. I wouldn't count on it being exclusively for consoles. In the end it's about increasing profit, and so you shouldn't be surprised if they give it a go wherever applicable. BC2 is kind of a test bad for the tolerance of this kind of crap in PC land. The maps are being withheld for PC as well. I imagine it's difficult for pirates to gain access to them...as well, I should say. Because this punishes everyone. It's the worst god damn DRM I can think of, and if they pull the same stuff with Battlefield 3 as they did with BC2 I will not be purchasing it.

There pretty much is no second-hand market for PC games...it would not really be neccesary to implement something like that.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 InsaneBasura
EA gets to work the angle of these being free maps, it keeps the game in the headlines and interest in the game up. And as mentioned making content accessible only through an online update would make paying for the game more appealing. The maps for BC2 weren't instantly accessible and there are reasons for that. I don't think there has been a particularly big backlash in the PC community. So why would EA not continue with this practice?
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Mystic-G

InsaneBasura

I'm a little confused... you don't count on what being exlusively for consoles?

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 InsaneBasura
EA denying users access to content.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Mystic-G
EA denying users access to content.InsaneBasura
Why did they deny users access to content?
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 InsaneBasura
For the VIP membership to work they had to (at least appear to) give users something in return. Creating actual additional content costs money, so they'd rather just lock away what they already had and present it as free DLC. Instead of online access it was half of the maps. Etc. Everything else I've written in this thread. Because it makes them money is the gist of it.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Mystic-G
For the VIP membership to work they had to (at least appear to) give users something in return. Creating actual additional content costs money, so they'd rather just lock away what they already had and present it as free DLC. Instead of online access it was half of the maps. Etc. Everything else I've written in this thread. Because it makes them money is the gist of it.InsaneBasura
Umm... I don't see how this could possibly effect PC users. There's no used or rental market for PC games, we all have to buy our games new. I don't see why they would possibly do that for BF3, especially if they allow modding for it.
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 InsaneBasura
The maps for BC2 for PC weren't instantly accessible and there are benefits to that beyond keeping up appearances. I don't think there has been a particularly big backlash in the PC community. So why would EA not continue with this practice? EA gets to work the angle of these being free maps, it keeps the game in the headlines and interest up. And as mentioned making content accessible only through an online update would make paying for the game more appealing, as opposed to piracy.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Mystic-G
[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"]The maps for BC2 for PC weren't instantly accessible and there are benefits to that beyond keeping up appearances. I don't think there has been a particularly big backlash in the PC community. So why would EA not continue with this practice? EA gets to work the angle of these being free maps, it keeps the game in the headlines and interest up. And as mentioned making content accessible only through an online update would make paying for the game more appealing, as opposed to piracy.

Modding for BF3 would assure they release them when they should as someone could just mod the maps out of the disc right away. That said, they probably only did that for BC2 so they didn't catch grief from the console crowd over it. I remember the reactions from the console crowd before release when they said only PC would get prone. Jealousy is something they have to deal with, and that's how they dealt with it. BF3 is gonna be a long term game, there's no reason for them to pull stunts like they did with BC2. Even so, it's free so who really cares? Not me, I know that for sure.
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

Cmon Strike at Karkand remake

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Mystic-G

Led_poison
God I hope they have a server option to remove explosives. That or one grenade limit per person. I'm personally hoping for a remake of Jello, Clean Sweep, or Oman. I really loved Clean Sweep, but it wasn't the most popular of maps.
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 InsaneBasura

The solution to people attempting to unlock the maps on their own accord would be to not include the full maps on the disc, to leave the most vital bits of code for the update. Or they could simply not include the maps on the disc period and release them as downloads instead. No one would be the wiser. This way they could even charge for them if they felt like it.

I'm not saying EA will use this tactic for BF3, just that it is fully possible and would make sense. I do care about companies rendering parts of a game inaccessible. Bad Company 2 has eight maps in total, which isn't a particularly high number to begin with. Five of these were available on release. Two months later and six maps are available. I get a lesser game and more limitations on what I can do with it. I am not ok with being treated like this.

What makes the situation even worse is that they said nothing about this before the game's release. I found out first when the second VIP map was unlocked. And they keep saying in their press statements that they are free map packs, and it pisses me off. If they are going to do this for BF3 as well, you can count on the exact same treatment. So I'm apprehensive towards purchasing any EA game now.

[QUOTE="Led_poison"]

Mystic-G

God I hope they have a server option to remove explosives. That or one grenade limit per person. I'm personally hoping for a remake of Jello, Clean Sweep, or Oman. I really loved Clean Sweep, but it wasn't the most popular of maps.

I'm guessing you're a decent jet pilot, because otherwise Clean Sweep is just straight up terrible. Bloody awful. At least 40% of the time. People consistently got 50-2 and similarly ridiculous scores on that map. A good pilot on the enemy team renders ground vehicles absolutely useless. You'll get in one and ten seconds later you'll get a bomb or five down your neck.