JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Odd... Best controller I've ever used. A thousand times better than my PS3 ones. Touch pad is unnecessary but love it as a button. The option button could be a bit bigger. Love the speaker and love the headset input on it. Buttons don't leave blisters on my fingers. Symmetrical analog sticks are great, especially if you use the d-pad a lot for fighting games or side scrollers.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

I'm ok with it except for the start/select buttons. Can never seem to find them without looking.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

I find it to be comfortable. My biggest complaint is the positions of the Share/Options buttons. I dont find them easy to find when i need to use them. The battery life will last a little longer if you turn down the brightness of the led. I wish Sony would make a offical wireless controller to compete with the Xbox 1 Elite controller.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@stuff238 said:

It’s better than the Xbox controllers where you have to break your left thumb to play any game. Offset is the worst.

True, plus SONY's development of the worlds finest video game controller, the DS4, wins without really trying

SONY wins again.

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 647 Posts

Pro controller is by far the best.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@open_lane said:

neh, battery life has seemed fine for me. I have 2 controllers just incase, but so far no issue

Define fine? I have several of them, and they all give me battery warnings after maybe 4-5 hours.

Dualshock 3 I only had to charge once a week or so. With Dualshock 4, I have to charge every single day I'm playing. Basically if I play a 3-4 hour session, my controller is just about dead. Probably the single most annoying thing about the PS4. Not a huge deal because I'll generally just swap it out after each sessions. But if i only had the one controller it would be hella annoying.

Open_Lane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By Open_Lane
Member since 2018 • 74 Posts

@2Chalupas: i only play like an hour or two at a time. That’s how i define my “fine.” I always charge my controllers after use anyway, which is another reason our standards, expectations and needs seem to be different.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

It's my favourite controller of all time. I have big hands and most controllers are designed for hobbit hands. It also has the best d-pad of any controller on the market today, which is a huge plus if you like fighting games and platformers. Only downside is the poor battery life.

I've never owned a Playstation console. I HATED the DS1/2/3 controllers. They were tiny and unergonomic, so I was shocked when I fell in love with the DS4.

I use it on my PC and Switch.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Elaisse said:

Pro controller is by far the best.

It's the same level of ergonomics as the DS4 (maybe even better due to the offset design, although that's generally irrelevant). Unfortunately, it uses digital triggers (meaning it's useless for racing games on my PC) and has a terrible d-pad.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

It's an alright controller. I loved it at first, but eventually started to dislike certain aspects.

Pretty much my feelings on all of the standard controllers this gen. DS4, Xbone, Pro, all have their nagging annoyances. None of them are bad at all, just could be better.

I recently picked up the Hori controller for Switch, it seems like it might be the one controller that gets everything right this gen. But I haven't really put it through the paces yet.

With you on the 360 controller though, it's so great as an all-arounder, definitely my go-to standard controller these days. D-pad is its only weakness, but that's a non issue for the games I use it for. 2d fighters get the Hori stick, 3d fighters get the Etokki stick, and any classic 2d games get the Saturn pad. 360 controller covers everything else that isn't m/kb.

Yes I'm a controller snob >_>

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

The triggers suck, I don't mind analog position buy materials don't feel good, they feel like sweaty rubber, and the force feedback is garbage. That aside, I could make do with one.

But DS3 was far worse.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

Yeah so are Xbox One controllers, especially the Elite. Just had to fix my Xbox One S controller myself because of thumbstick tracking. My elite controller grip is peeling off.....the controller for "hardcore gamers" my ass.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11094 Posts

It's better than DS3, which was trash. It's great for playing games on PC too. The only problem is the touchpad is too wide to properly hit select and start. Outside of that, it's the best version of DS to date.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#67 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

it's much better than ds3

imo the duke controller is my personal favorite

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By UssjTrunks

@ConanTheStoner said:

Hori controller for Switch, it seems like it might be the one controller that gets everything right this gen. But I haven't really put it through the paces yet.

Yes I'm a controller snob >_>

The Hori pad looked good, but it's wired and has no gyro. That's a no-go for me. I could live with no gyro, but no wireless is a problem since my Switch is set up to play from bed.

I'm also a controller snob, but the DS4 is the first controller I'm actually content with all around (battery life is the only drawback, but as far as functionality goes, I have no complaints).

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

**** me, it going to be a really looooooong year if the trend of shitposting continues this way.

Btw, the battery life sucks dick.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

it's much better than ds3

imo the duke controller is my personal favorite

i forgot to mention that i love the original xbox s controller. Its even better for action games and shooters than the 360.

havent tried the duke

Lilseb93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Lilseb93
Member since 2015 • 392 Posts

I never had a problem with it besides the battery life, but I have 3 and a charging station for them so I just rotate them when the battery runs out.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Control wise its great. I play CLAW on a very mentally and hand/eye coordination demanding game in Destiny 2. And don't have an issue.

My issue is with the quality of the controller. It lasts less time than a DS3, and perhaps a DS2 at that. I've had my PS4 for like 3 years. And while I can give a little lead way to the controller that came with my system. That has a messed up R3 button. The circle button on a controller I brought like a year ago has gotten busted. So now I only have one controller I can rely on.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3056 Posts

It's by no means garbage, but I still can't stand it. It's fine for most games but it's terrible for shooters...the thing it was designed for. I miss the DS3 for it's tightness. The L2 and R2 were atrocious, but the L1 and R1 had nice short throw which was great. When I tried to use the DS4 that way on Destiny I could feel the buttons sticking after 2 weeks. The triggers are too squishy, the battery is horrible, the touch pad is useless, the light bar is obnoxious, the speaker is ok but rarely used, the thumbsticks aren't great, the headphone jack...that I like. If they made a Bluetooth DS2, I would take that in a heartbeat.

I have two of them because it's a necessity. It will run out in 2 days watching netflix, which is ridiculous. Even having decent sized hands (hell, I liked the "Duke") I still find the tightness and precision DS3 offered to be far superior to the DS4. But why can't they just sell 2 controller types; big handed and small handed? And also have a little switch to toggle between throw distances on the top buttons.

Does anyone make joysticks that have a slight angle towards your thumbs? Hold a controller and imagine if your thumbs were slightly resting against (not just on) the top of the joystick. And imagine that it was slightly cradled. Might be terrible, but might be great.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@UssjTrunks said:

The Hori pad looked good, but it's wired and has no gyro. That's a no-go for me. I could live with no gyro, but no wireless is a problem since my Switch is set up to play from bed.

I'm also a controller snob, but the DS4 is the first controller I'm actually content with all around (battery life is the only drawback, but as far as functionality goes, I have no complaints).

Yeah, opposite on the wired preference here. I know the latency is almost negligible on wireless controllers, but I strive to have the lowest latency setup I can, so wired is a plus for me. I only use wired sticks, keyboards, and mice, and same with controllers when available. Plus the cord on the Hori controller is 10 ft, so it works fine for my gaming setup.

I tried to make the DS4 my main standard controller for use with my PC, but kept having trouble with the triggers. First controller got an annoyingly squeaky trigger, on the next one my right trigger straight up fell out while playing Bayonetta lol. Turns out the hinges are just cheap plastic, which is pretty lame. Went and bought an Xbone controller after that, but couldn't stand the sticks. Ended up going back to a 360 controller and wondered why I ever switched to begin with lol.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 samfisher56

Can I use the DS4 easily on ps3? I wanna try how it feels in other games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

@samfisher56 said:

Yeah there is a list of games that accept it.

You won't get rumble though. And in some games the triggers and analog sticks don't work, so it's iffy.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By samfisher56

@R4gn4r0k said:
@samfisher56 said:

Yeah there is a list of games that accept it.

You won't get rumble though. And in some games the triggers and analog sticks don't work, so it's iffy.

Yeah I just tried it. Doesnt work properly with the rumble and stuff.

Still think its a downgrade from the ds3 and dont like it at all in general.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: How hard do you guys beat on your controllers lol? I have my og controller (bought the system in 2014) and it still works perfect, and it gets used A LOT.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10614 Posts

@pyro1245:

Don't know what the last part of your post is trying to suggest. Surely it can't be suggesting that there's little to no reason to play a ps4, because out of the 3 consoles, the ps4 have the most games to play.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 ConanTheStoner

@vfighter:

Yeah my controllers usually last the life of the system at least, or if anything goes wrong it's usually an analog wearing out.

Never had issues with triggers before, but these DS4 triggers are just really flimsy. It's not an isolated incident either, just Google DS4 triggers squeaking or breaking, you'll get tons of results on how to fix them and replace them lol. It's actually very common.

I'll admit that I went hard on that R2 when playing Bayo, but it wasn't something that other controllers I've had couldn't handle. Though as for the squeaking on my first DS4, that happened within the first two weeks I got my PS4, and I was only playing Ground Zeroes.

Really sucks, because if it wasn't for those triggers it probably would be my favorite standard controller.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: I have heard of the trigger issues, I guess I just got really lucky so far.

My ds3 always would get analog problems from playing COD and other FPS, with hundreds of hours put into Destiny 1 and 2 the ds4 analogs are still great, pretty impressed with that.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@UssjTrunks: ? “Hobbit hands” .. The spacing of the anolog sticks for the DS4 was a HUGE plus. I also like the incorporation of the “Triggers” for the L2/R2. Probably the best PS controller I ever used.. but it still pales in comparison to the XB/O “S” controllers IMHO. The placement of the left analog stick always felt more comfortable (for those of us without Hobbit Hands). And they improved the D pad. Hell.. if you want uncomfortable.. use the Switch joy cons for more than 30min. ?

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#83  Edited By Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

It's Sony's best controller they have ever made but its battery life sucks.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

This is sort of related to Sony controllers. Are there major games that still utilized Six-Axis? Or, did developers finally dump it or made button equivalents?

I wish Sony got rid of it. It was bad enough with the PS3. Guerilla Games made token use of it in KZ2. I think I used Six Axis like a total of two times in the whole game. The problem was, there was no button equivalent for those two times.

KZ3 also made token use of Six Axis. At least, there were button equivalents. Most 3rd-party Sony controllers didn't have Six Axis. That meant, I had to connect and sync a DS3 to carry out the Six Axis command and then disconnect it when done.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By UssjTrunks

@OhSnapitz said:

@UssjTrunks: ? “Hobbit hands” .. The spacing of the anolog sticks for the DS4 was a HUGE plus. I also like the incorporation of the “Triggers” for the L2/R2. Probably the best PS controller I ever used.. but it still pales in comparison to the XB/O “S” controllers IMHO. The placement of the left analog stick always felt more comfortable (for those of us without Hobbit Hands). And they improved the D pad. Hell.. if you want uncomfortable.. use the Switch joy cons for more than 30min. ?

The joycons are just brutal, especially if you hold them in each hand, not using the grip, like Nintendo suggets. No way to use them for more than 30 minutes. My thumb is bigger than the entire controller.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By UssjTrunks

@jun_aka_pekto said:

This is sort of related to Sony controllers. Are there major games that still utilized Six-Axis? Or, did developers finally dump it or made button equivalents?

I wish Sony got rid of it. It was bad enough with the PS3. Guerilla Games made token use of it in KZ2. I think I used Six Axis like a total of two times in the whole game. The problem was, there was no button equivalent for those two times.

KZ3 also made token use of Six Axis. At least, there were button equivalents. Most 3rd-party Sony controllers didn't have Six Axis. That meant, I had to connect and sync a DS3 to carry out the Six Axis command and then disconnect it when done.

Motion controls in video games are the most useless "innovation" of all time.

Mario Odyssey only uses 4 buttons, with the rest of the actions mapped to motion controls... There are SIX free fucking buttons, and they couldn't map the motion controls to them? They aren't even intuitive motion controls. Just stuff like shake the controller to jump higher or move faster or do a special hat throw. And most of the controls only work with the joycons and not the pro controller (which has motion controls, but you need to hold the joycons in each hand for most of the motion controls to register).

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Not a fan of the DualShocks in general. Not very efficient or versatile. Outdated. I wish they'd replace the design with one closer resembling a mouse and keyboard, while keeping the best features of traditional controllers.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#88 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

Personal Preference and hand size, i have never liked the DS myself but each to their own.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 delta3074

@stuff238: Offset works better for 'invertors' like myself (up is down, down is up on the right stick).

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 delta3074

@Chutebox: with you on that, a controllers a controller, you will adapt to use any controller eventually.

I went from the original DS to the N64 controller to the Dreamcast then the Gamecube finally the Xbox.

It didn't take a whole lot of time to adapt to each.

Best controller in my opinion is the Gamecube though, so godamn comfortable and the dual action triggers meant no swapping fingers around on the back triggers

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 UssjTrunks

@delta3074 said:

@Chutebox: with you on that, a controllers a controller, you will adapt to use any controller eventually.

I went from the original DS to the N64 controller to the Dreamcast then the Gamecube finally the Xbox.

It didn't take a whole lot of time to adapt to each.

Best controller in my opinion is the Gamecube though, so godamn comfortable and the dual action triggers meant no swapping fingers around on the back triggers

I wish Nintendo had stuck with that controller design. Just add a second shoulder button and a bigger d-pad and bigger second analog stick and it would have been perfect.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

Interesting. I think the PS4 controller is the best one Sony has ever designed. I don't like the sharp angles of the older versions, nor the older D-Pad, nor the imprecise/rubbery shoulder buttons.

The biggest issue for me with the PS4 controller is the battery life. It's pretty abysmal.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

If you practise your fingering more your hands wont hurt.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

In all seriousness it is hardly the worst design that Sony have ever come up with, nobody remember this?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@djura:"The biggest issue for me with the PS4 controller is the battery life. It's pretty abysmal."

How many hours you get?

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#96  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Only problem is the battery life. Everything else is the best. Except for devil may cry; I can't switch from a ps2 controller for that game for some reason.

Xbox 360 controller is also perfect for shooters if controller shooters are your thing. TPS work excellent on that one.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

@PSP107: I'm not sure exactly how many at this point. It's definitely degraded over time, as you'd expect. But I have to charge the controller pretty regularly (say...once a week or so). It's not a big problem, it's just a downside of the way the controller is designed.

But I'm prepared to put up with that because it's so damn comfortable/functional. :P

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Sony has never had a good controller imo

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 samfisher56

@mandzilla said:

In all seriousness it is hardly the worst design that Sony have ever come up with, nobody remember this?

i loved the look of the boomerang wish sony had stuck with it

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#100  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34613 Posts

Yes. But only because the left thumbstick is in a very stupid place. I have to bend my thumb down to it rather than naturally resting the thumb on it, like with the 360 and Switch Pro controller. Dumber controller design than Sony's is rarely seen.

I'd like to know what weird fucking anatomy people who says the opposite have. Or what their definition of "natural" position is.