Does Witcher 3 get better after the first few hours?

• 77 results
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Granted, I'm not a giant Action/RPG fan (I didn't like Skyrim), but I'm open to the genre. Played TW3 for a few hours.

Combat is average. Controls feel a little clumsy. Story seems really cliche (like LOTR with villages and invading armies, etc.). Another macho man meathead main character. It looks like as typical of a video game as it gets, aside from it's excellent graphics/animation.

Do any of the points I mention get better after the first 3 hours, or should I just sell the game?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Does the combat or controls get any better? Lolfuckno

Story naturally has to get better because more shit will happen, but it's a video game story.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

I'm surprised the game got a 10 with all the bugs in the main and side quests rendering them unplayable and can't be completed and the many bugs that are still getting fixed.

Combat isn't even close to the greatness that is Dragon's Dogma, Bloodborne and souls games in general.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Geralt of Rivia is a "macho man meathead"?

You sir, may color me surprised.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Yeah it does. Haven't beaten it yet due to open world RPG overload (probably around 70 percent done sidequests and all) but the story does pick up in a way. The game is practically a huge fetch quest to find Ciri but at least the sidequests and stuff getting to her gets more interesting and the open world part picks up drastically after White Orchard.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58998 Posts

No.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

@R3FURBISHED: Love how he is feared by many but also referred to as scrawny and stupid by others. Usually its a bit of both haha. Of course it depends on your replies, which I like to pick the funny stuff, but its emphasized that he is usually not the smartest of the bunch just by his replies to things in general.

As to the OP, he is very good at his job, but interestingly lacks in many areas. He's not your jack of all trades type of guy and the supporting characters show it. He is plenty clueless but at the same time very knowledgeable due to his tracking abilities and knowledge of the wild.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Game bored me to death as well...

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I didn't like skyrim, but I like the witcher, also gwent is somewhat a fun game.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 drekula2

@R3FURBISHED said:

Okay, he has more heart to him than Marcus Fenix and Chris Redfield. But does he turn into a memorable character during the story?

@a-new-guardian said:

I'm surprised the game got a 10 with all the bugs in the main and side quests rendering them unplayable and can't be completed and the many bugs that are still getting fixed.

Kevin's a big fan of RPG's and happened to really enjoy this game I guess.

@jg4xchamp said:

Does the combat or controls get any better? Lolfuckno

Story naturally has to get better because more shit will happen, but it's a video game story.

This is kinda what I thought. I think many of the people who praise bog-standard medieval warfare stories as grand story experiences are probably just to video games with bad stories and haven't really read literature.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I never liked the Witcher combat, but then again, i dont know many who do.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Combat is fine with keyboard and mouse. So, no complaints from me. I have yet to see the glitches other people experienced. It's probable because by the time I got to a part where there is supposed to be a glitch, it's already been patched. Once, I'm done with TW3, I'll probably reinstall TW1 EE.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 drekula2

@mesome713 said:

I never liked the Witcher combat, but then again, i dont know many who do.

So basically, it's a graphics game.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#14 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Played it for 3 hours and dropped out. I need the answer to this question too.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Gets a lot better once you get to Velen.

@Legend002 said:

Stick to anime games

John_of_Rivia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 John_of_Rivia
Member since 2015 • 232 Posts

I have beaten the game so I'll throw my two cents in.

The combat, IMO, inherently gets better as you unlock more options in which to fight with. You unlock newer potions, runes, and magic, the fights get more complicated. You have to carefully pick which magic you wish to level up and which buffs to invest in. However, the mechanics themselves do not change much. I feel as though you get really used to it.

I liked the story. I would give it any awards or anything, but it was simple and had clear protagonists and antagonists. It was a little more complex than I thought it would be.

Geralt as a character is very like able IMO. He's a professional in his job, but he still maintains a sense of humor and honor. When he forges a connection with people, you can tell it means a lot to him. You see him as Geralt the witcher/warrior, Geralt the father (with Ciri), Geralt the lover, Geralt the savior, and Geralt the jerk. I really enjoyed his connection with Ciri; he really went through hell for her. In the end though, since it's an RPG, some of the elements I listed are contingent on how you play the game out. So, I don't think he's really the stereotypical macho man.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

No, stick to your movie games.

shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shadiezz2012
Member since 2012 • 2474 Posts

NO it don't get any better...it stay the same

Didn't enjoy it at all ....but i will keep going because the story and side quests

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

It does, you get to have sex with several hot women. Ok no seriously yes it does, because it is a massive, massive game, so a few hours is not enough for you to get a grip on most the world and its basics. If you are a fan of RPG games, I suggest you stick with it a little longer before making your decision.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50567 Posts

I enjoy it, but the side quests are annoying. Dude wants help, but in order to do so, I need to find someone with information who in turns asks for help with said information as a reward for my help.

Combat is ok and I'm digging the story.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Do you actually like any fucking games? Do you actually like anything at all?

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#22  Edited By UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

No, it won't. The clunkiness of the movement, having to completely be static to pick up loot, having to press the button multiple times to get on Roach, fetch quests to get info to proceed into the story, swimming, and the mediocre derivative combat animations "spin to win". Those are all present, and they're all problematic.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@drekula2 said:

Granted, I'm not a giant Action/RPG fan (I didn't like Skyrim), but I'm open to the genre. Played TW3 for a few hours.

Combat is average. Controls feel a little clumsy. Story seems really cliche (like LOTR with villages and invading armies, etc.). Another macho man meathead main character. It looks like as typical of a video game as it gets, aside from it's excellent graphics/animation.

Do any of the points I mention get better after the first 3 hours, or should I just sell the game?

If you don't have patience for this game, then probably you don't like an ARPG genre. Or open-world games.

What did you expect from the game anyway? A gung-ho non-stop action like DMC? :-/

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

I'm enjoying the game thus far.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

@Legend002 said:

Stick to anime games

Since they are usually better I should but then again I do own a Xbox One.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jg4xchamp

@IgGy621985 said:
@drekula2 said:

If you don't have patience for this game, then probably you don't like an ARPG genre. Or open-world games.

What did you expect from the game anyway? A gung-ho non-stop action like DMC? :-/

Literally what you asked "What were you expecting? Fun?"

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 IgGy621985

@jg4xchamp said:
@IgGy621985 said:
@drekula2 said:

Wait. You people actually expected The Witcher 3 to be a game like DMC?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@drekula2: You should have done more research, all Witcher games have clumsy combat and controls.

This is the third game in the series, you shouldn't be surprised. People like other things about the games like the Story or options....and if you bought Witcher 3 for amazing controls and fantastic feeling combat, you may as well move on.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UltimateImp

@IgGy621985 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Fun isn't exclusive to DMC, but it is certainly not a factor CDPR could hope to patch in the disaster that is Witcher 3.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

@drekula2 said:

I don't get the macho man thing. What other type of character could work for this sort of story/game? Do you want some emo type? That'd make no sense at all, that person would scream and run away the first time a sword was pulled on him. They do that sort of thing in Final Fantasy games a lot and it always comes off as absurd.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jg4xchamp

@IgGy621985 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

No, but I expected the combat to actually be enjoyable. I don't need to juggle enemies, but I like more sword hits to have some oomph and feedback to them. I don't need Geralt to move as swift as Bayonetta or Ryu Hayabusa, but I also don't want to be controlling a character who needs a damn yoga class because he's stiff as all hell.

Purely on a game feel front the combat is lack luster, shit they make walking around in that game feel awkward because they were aiming for "weight" or whatever for the character. Core combat loop is big enemy, dodge roll, use a spell, wreck face. The pregame to the combat is cool, tracking things, potioning yourself up with the right buffs, but once you fight something? Straight up lackluster.

It being "open world" or "action rpg" is not a license for its melee based combat to be fucking boring. Frankly its insulting to expect DMC from Witcher combat, DMC combat actually has depth. I would never insult DMC that way.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 UltimateImp

@jg4xchamp said:

No, but I expected the combat to actually be enjoyable. I don't need to juggle enemies, but I like more sword hits to have some oomph and feedback to them. I don't need Geralt to move as swift as Bayonetta or Ryu Hayabusa, but I also don't want to be controlling a character who needs a damn yoga class because he's stiff as all hell.

Purely on a game feel front the combat is lack luster, shit they make walking around in that game feel awkward because they were aiming for "weight" or whatever for the character. Core combat loop is big enemy, dodge roll, use a spell, wreck face. The pregame to the combat is cool, tracking things, potioning yourself up with the right buffs, but once you fight something? Straight up lackluster.

It being "open world" or "action rpg" is not a license for its melee based combat to be fucking boring. Frankly its insulting to expect DMC from Witcher combat, DMC combat actually has depth. I would never insult DMC that way.

Well said, you curb stomped that simpleton that claims expecting good and enjoyable combat from Witcher 3 is ridiculous.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 IgGy621985

@jg4xchamp said:
@IgGy621985 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Well, we obviously have different taste, because I find DMC's gameplay an insult to gaming in general.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I actually think the combat is more realistic than a lot of games - the fact that he has weight to him and you really need to practice your dodges and sidesteps. Circle your enemies... if you run in spamming attack or assume his dodge is going to move you 10 feet and render you immune to all attacks you're in for a nasty surprise ;-) I think combat tends to be too easy in games, so IDK

Clearly a lot of people hate the combat. I'm fine being in the minority. FWIW, I hated the combat in TW2... although this is very similar design, I don't hate it because it feels much more responsive and refined to me. But to be honest a lot of RPGs have combat that's a joke, so maybe this game's combat is only half a joke :-P

As far as him being a macho meathead. Well I can see how someone new to the series would get that perception. The game, IMO, jumps in with a lot of pre-suppositions about what you know surrounding the world and its lore. It gives really brief get-you-up-to-speed intros along the way for newcomers, but frankly, without context, a lot of what is going on probably comes off as totally generic. It's only by having read the books and/or played the previous games that "RANDOM BADGUY!" becomes something less black and white and less generic, and Geralt's "TOUGH VOICE FOR DUDE WHO HAS A LOT OF SEX AND CARRIES A SWORD!" becomes a more nuanced person.

At the end of the day, that's maybe a fault of the game designers, although one has to pause before jumping in on the 3rd of anything story driven (book/movie/game) and think - is this really the place I need to be at to enjoy what I'm about to experience? Still, as I acknowledged, I think the efforts CDPR put forth to introduce newcomers and get the enthralled are cursory at best.

TLDR: "probably not" - yes the game's story develops and the skills get cooler, but if you don't have the right context for the story side (or simply never liked it to begin with) and/or don't like the control scheme - I can't see it magically becoming your thing with another 10 hours

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I actually think the combat is more realistic than a lot of games - the fact that he has weight to him and you really need to practice your dodges and sidesteps. Circle your enemies... if you run in spamming attack or assume his dodge is going to move you 10 feet and render you immune to all attacks you're in for a nasty surprise ;-) I think combat tends to be too easy in games, so IDK

Clearly a lot of people hate the combat. I'm fine being in the minority. FWIW, I hated the combat in TW2... although this is very similar design, I don't hate it because it feels much more responsive and refined to me. But to be honest a lot of RPGs have combat that's a joke, so maybe this game's combat is only half a joke :-P

As far as him being a macho meathead. Well I can see how someone new to the series would get that perception. The game, IMO, jumps in with a lot of pre-suppositions about what you know surrounding the world and its lore. It gives really brief get-you-up-to-speed intros along the way for newcomers, but frankly, without context, a lot of what is going on probably comes off as totally generic. It's only by having read the books and/or played the previous games that "RANDOM BADGUY!" becomes something less black and white and less generic, and Geralt's "TOUGH VOICE FOR DUDE WHO HAS A LOT OF SEX AND CARRIES A SWORD!" becomes a more nuanced person.

At the end of the day, that's maybe a fault of the game designers, although one has to pause before jumping in on the 3rd of anything story driven (book/movie/game) and think - is this really the place I need to be at to enjoy what I'm about to experience? Still, as I acknowledged, I think the efforts CDPR put forth to introduce newcomers and get the enthralled are cursory at best.

TLDR: "probably not" - yes the game's story develops and the skills get cooler, but if you don't have the right context for the story side (or simply never liked it to begin with) and/or don't like the control scheme - I can't see it magically becoming your thing with another 10 hours

Guess I'm in the minority too cuz I liked the combat of Witcher 2 even. It was tough at first but once I got the feel of it I liked it. I'm not gonna say the mechanics of it are realistic cuz rolling around a lot is not realistic at all. But I think the danger element was. Ya always had to pay attention to what you were doing when fighting in that game, had to think. One or two mistakes and you were dead. For the first 2/3rds of the game anyway. Towards the end after I'd leveled up a lot it got too easy and automatic. By automatic I mean that at high levels Geralt started doing all these incredible things, rolling and leaping around from one enemy to the next in a very precise way that didn't seem to be asking for enough input from me.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Yeah, I probably shouldn't say I "hated" it - but he was awfully clunky feeling and rolling around like a pillbug was kinda silly :-P

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

@drekula2: A lot of people complain how dull the combat system is, play it on death march difficulty and you will enjoy the game much more. Even the second option below it which is blood and bones is pretty easy.

You need to play on death march, the combat is much more interesting, and you have to use your potions/signs/bombs etc etc.

As for the controls being clunky, just play it more you will get use to it. I didn't think it was clunky to be honest, its pretty fluid once you get the hang of the combat system.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Legend002 said:
@princeofshapeir said:

@Legend002 said:

Stick to anime games

Since they are usually better I should but then again I do own a Xbox One.

Wow, you DO have bad taste in games :P

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@drekula2 said:
@R3FURBISHED said:

Okay, he has more heart to him than Marcus Fenix and Chris Redfield. But does he turn into a memorable character during the story?

Have you played The Witcher 1 and 2? Then yes, his character does undergo changes (granted due to the nature of the story, the changes are based on your decisions and how those decisions affected the world and the people in the world)

If you haven't played The Witcher 1 or 2, then I doubt you'll see much growth due to the story.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jg4xchamp

@IgGy621985 said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@IgGy621985 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Well, we obviously have different taste, because I find DMC's gameplay an insult to gaming in general.

Yes we do have different taste. I like my games to have actual good gameplay for starters.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Reading all these negative comments are swaying me away from getting it. From Watching a bit of it in action it looks like there is no collision detection--similar to bloodborne, i suppose.

John_of_Rivia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 John_of_Rivia
Member since 2015 • 232 Posts

@Heirren: Well do you like the genre? If so, I'd say give the game a try. It received incredible praise with good reason. The mechanics can be clunky, but I think you'll lose yourself in the music, scenery, characters, monsters, and the crafting system.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

Sorry dude you fell for the hype.

I know better and said I might pick this up when it hits the bargain bin. You should never expect great combat and gameplay from WRPGs because you are setting yourself up, but the thing is if you can't get interested in the simple minded straight forward stories in these games it's going to be one hell of a grind.

Being open world is great and all, but if you want a great game play with varied combat and weapons, an intriguing story with mystery and memorable characters that makes you want to play more to discover more about the game then MGSV will end up being a much better RPG than this supposed RPG is.

Shadow of Mordor was a diamond in the rough in the world of WRPGs as it took great things from WRPGs and added the dedication to combat and gameplay that most JRPG or japanese action games do; but as a general rule WRPGs have straight foward stories that aren't very interesting and very weak combat and gameplay systems. You should always test play WRPGs to see if you like what's there or risk wasting $60 for what will amount to a few hours and a complete loss of interest.

For trollers:

I played The Witcher PC, and The Witcher 2 PC. lol couldn't even stand the gameplay for more than a couple hours after having played Demon's Souls before hand.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Don't know, I liked it from the beginning

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 IgGy621985

@jg4xchamp said:
@IgGy621985 said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@IgGy621985 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Yes we do have different taste. I like my games to have actual good gameplay for starters.

Oh, so you DO like The Witcher 3! That's great to know man!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#46 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

lol this sh*t always happens when a game gets highly praised...

1st week - "OMG bEST GAME EVAH!!!"

2nd week - "Its ok"

3rd week - "Overrated piece of sh*t"

gamers are a funny bunch

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jg4xchamp

@IgGy621985 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Oh, so you DO like The Witcher 3! That's great to know man!

I said good gameplay, not a cure for insomnia.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

You know, in a game where you do so much fighting, you'd think the combat wouldn't play like complete ass. Yet it does.

Still enjoying the game, but there's really no excuse for that shit.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jg4xchamp

@drinkerofjuice said:

You know, in a game where you do so much fighting, you'd think the combat wouldn't play like complete ass. Yet it does.

Isn't it like releasing an open world action game about shooting people in the face, except the shooting ass. Man it's almost like there is no excuse for it, no matter what year it is. Amirite?

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#50 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@drinkerofjuice said:

Isn't it like releasing an open world action game about shooting people in the face, except the shooting ass. Man it's almost like there is no excuse for it, no matter what year it is. Amirite?

Right. But at that time, it felt alright even if it doesn't anymore. Can't just deny those feelings, you know?

In this case it's like I don't feel anything at all. It's a sham marriage.