Do you prefer to own or rent your games?

• 87 results
Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Do you prefer to own or rent your games? (64 votes)

I prefer to own my games. I don't use rental services like Game Pass. 50%
I prefer to rent my games. I like using rental servies like Game Pass. 11%
I like to own some games, and rent others. I use rental services like Game Pass sometimes, but not all the time. 39%

Do you primarily rent games on the likes of Game Pass, etc.? Or do you primarily purchase your games to own?

I definitely like to own my games, for various reasons, but one of the biggest is to revisit them at a later time. I often replay the games I own.

What about chu guyz?

• 
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26100 Posts

If something is on GamePass I am less inclined to own it; but if a game I like is leaving GamePass, I would purchase it to own.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

It depends. If its a game i see myself spending a lot of time in, and play for months, or possibly over a year, its always "own". If its just a linear game that i run through, and it offers nothing after you're done with it (games like Doom, Wolfenstein, etc), i don't mind renting because i am not someone who enjoys replaying games i've already beaten, so to have it in my library is completely pointless, since i am already selling all my games that i own/purchase a hard copy off of.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44185 Posts

Both. I’ve been a steady subscriber to Game Pass for like 3 years or more now. If a game I want to play is on the service then I’ll play it there. If not then I’ll buy it.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

Own. I have no interest at all in services like Gamepass/PSN+.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58979 Posts

Never rented game, never will.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44185 Posts

I use to buy and rent games all the time, ever since the days of the NES.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1057 Posts

I used gamefly and redbox to rent games on different platforms and bought them when I liked them, and I tried demos and free full game trials. That has somewhat stopped over the years because there are more games coming out than I can even play, it's not like back in the day where you could actually have enough time to play everything that came out. That's impossible now.

These days before I buy something, there is enough coverage and opinion out there that I can be certain that I will enjoy it. The huge amount of games also means that I am busy enough already with games that I can wait for a good price on new releases. There is still the odd release I will buy day one because I anticipate it that much.

Either way I prefer to own them because it means my family will benefit from my purchases and that I will be able to lend/borrow with friends. This means I go for physical releases. I also like to go back to games I enjoyed and replay them, so I want them around and I don't want them to disappear or to have to keep up with a subscription just in case I am in a mood for a certain game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

Either way I prefer to own them because it means my family will benefit from my purchases

This. It's like every time I buy a game, I think about how my kid will have it to play down the line. He's going to have an awesome library of games.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5252 Posts

I mostly buy my games, but during the NES and GameCube eras, I did rent them. Because I mostly play games that requires me several days to complete, I prefer to buy them.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

I typically like to own them, which is why GOG is great. I can actually download the installer and chuck them on my server where they will live and get backed up. You don't really own something unless you have the content and all available updates in a format you can use at will. I wouldn't even consider buying a physical copy ownership when it comes to 90% of the games released on modern consoles.

Nothing wrong with renting either. When you rent a game you understand that you only have access to it per the terms of the agreement. If you can justify the cost with the terms then there is no problem.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1057 Posts

@nod_calypse: Yeah. I wish digital would figure these things out if we're expected to move to that. Only good solution there is DRM free GoG. Or emulation.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#12 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

Own, but I use Game Pass still.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6051 Posts

OWN.

With Gamepass other than MS own first party, you have no idea what your money is going to get you each month. Would you go into a resteraunt pay your money and eat whatever your given? Of course not.

With Sony's service (I care so little I don't even know the name of it) they don't even give you first party until like a year later, and even then they don't give access to all of them., so it's service is even worse.You would have to have a screw loose to pay for that.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22686 Posts

After 40 years of gaming starting on Atari 2600 and have gamed as a kid, a single guy a married guy... A dad and now with adult aged kids I can safely say that I know my gaming habits.... I will not likely return to older games I've already completed. Therefor having a closet full of games means little to me. I don't believe it matters for me one way or another. I know everyone has a different preference but mine is to simply have access to the game so I can complete it and move on to the next. After that I don't really care.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 dracula_16  Online
Member since 2005 • 16000 Posts

I prefer to own them. That's why I bought Forza Motorsport instead of downloading it on Game Pass. Buying it helps the video game stores stay in business. It pumps some life into our economy.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

OWN.

With Gamepass other than MS own first party, you have no idea what your money is going to get you each month. Would you go into a resteraunt pay your money and eat whatever your given? Of course not.

With Sony's service (I care so little I don't even know the name of it) they don't even give you first party until like a year later, and even then they don't give access to all of them., so it's service is even worse.You would have to have a screw loose to pay for that.

And this is a perfect reason why you, a supposed lemming, should leave your green team, and jump on the blue side. As i've stated many times, we, cows, we welcome you with open arms.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1252 Posts

I prefer having the choice to do both!

#Winning

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3407 Posts

I prefere to play games. Owning them or renting them is close to irrelevant to me. My preference is whatever makes it cheaper.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Both.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34616 Posts

Own. Don't use any rental service.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

Own primarily, but will GP/PS+/Ubi/EA/etc. games in which I only have a so-so interest.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Both. Own games you enjoyed with the intention of replaying it. Rent games that you like and will never replay it again.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

You don't own your game if it's locked behind any kind of DRM - this includes digital forms such as Steam where it requires Steam to play the game (online or offline mode).

Even back during physical media not all games were owned by people - some still had you at the mercy of connecting to the developer's servers to verify your game key and if at any point that server is taken off line you have no way for the game to run.

There has been very little ownership for games in a very long time other than what GoG offers. At least with GoG you can download the files to your side and then do as you wish with them. You don't need any kind of online verification to play the game. That's as close as we have to owning a game these days.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@neatfeatguy: Right. Difference is, you buy a game on Steam, you have it forever, basically. You rent it on game pass, you have it intil they take it off game pass.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I don't care as long as I get to play the game. If it's in GP, I'll play it there. I'll only play most SP games once and if it's a game I'll play more than once I'll buy it.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

Back in the early days when there was still block buster and other video stores I would rent games but now I prefer to own the games I want. I only have a switch Oled now.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#27  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69492 Posts

The majority of games I don't replay, so renting is preferred.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro
@TheEroica said:

After 40 years of gaming starting on Atari 2600 and have gamed as a kid, a single guy a married guy... A dad and now with adult aged kids I can safely say that I know my gaming habits.... I will not likely return to older games I've already completed. Therefor having a closet full of games means little to me. I don't believe it matters for me one way or another. I know everyone has a different preference but mine is to simply have access to the game so I can complete it and move on to the next. After that I don't really care.

Same.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Only use rental for indie game. I buy physical for tripple AAA.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 348 Posts

After 35 years of gaming starting on Atari 2600 and have gamed as a kid, a single guy a married guy... A dad and now with kids I can safely say that I prefer to own games.

I have a large library of original gems like Dungeon Keeper, MGS, SIMS, Flight Simulator, Crysis, Dead Space, Elden Ring, and more backed up on my 3 TB drive that I can play even 20 years after release. I converted all my physical games to digital formats for preservation. My kids can also play them without having to purchase them again.

I replay good games multiple times. Owning a game I believe is relevant more than ever today with 100 GB+ AAA game sizes. To replay my library of dozens of recent AAA games, I can just install them in under 15 minutes and have fun.

• No need to wait 7+ hours for a game to download if I want to replay again.
  • No need to have an internet connection allowing me access to my games library even when the net is down.
  • No fear of games getting locked due to an account ban or hack, or games getting delisted from server.
  • No worry about system crashes as I can easily install and play all owned games on a new system.

Owning games makes it possible for a stress free gaming. I have never bought games from Steam, EPIC, PS Store, etc and never will. GOG and GameSpot like retailers are a godsend for gamers like me.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#31  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17811 Posts

I use services like Gamepass and I still buy games. Whichever saves me money and gives me access to the games when I want to play them. I don't have a preference.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pedro

@danishanwar said:

After 35 years of gaming starting on Atari 2600 and have gamed as a kid, a single guy a married guy... A dad and now with kids I can safely say that I prefer to own games.

I have a large library of original gems like Dungeon Keeper, MGS, SIMS, Flight Simulator, Crysis, Dead Space, Elden Ring, and more backed up on my 3 TB drive that I can play even 20 years after release. I converted all my physical games to digital formats for preservation. My kids can also play them without having to purchase them again.

I replay good games multiple times. Owning a game I believe is relevant more than ever today with 100 GB+ AAA game sizes. To replay my library of dozens of recent AAA games, I can just install them in under 15 minutes and have fun.

• No need to wait 7+ hours for a game to download if I want to replay again.
  • No need to have an internet connection allowing me access to my games library even when the net is down.
  • No fear of games getting locked due to an account ban or hack, or games getting delisted from server.
  • No worry about system crashes as I can easily install and play all owned games on a new system.

Owning games makes it possible for a stress free gaming. I have never bought games from Steam, EPIC, PS Store, etc and never will. GOG and GameSpot like retailers are a godsend for gamers like me.

What system allows you to install a 100GB+ game from DVD in under 15 minutes?

Your internet download speed would need to be 30Mb/s for it to take 7 hours to download a 100GB game.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5885 Posts

If its on rental at the time I want to play it, I'll play on that.

If its not I'll buy it, these days its always bought digital so guess I buy to keep and not sell on.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Id prefer to rent them and buy the ones worth buying. Wont see me using a subscription service though.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44071 Posts

That's the beauty of GamePass. Play a game with your GP account, find that you love it and want to own it, with a couple clicks you buy the game at a reduced price. ;o

lol :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@Pedro said:
@TheEroica said:

Same.

*jink*

Samesies

:D

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58319 Posts

Own. Though I tend to think of using Game Pass et al like leasing more than renting 😋I do use Game Pass, but it's more for dabbling and trying out things I wouldn't normally buy in order to get out of my comfort zone with games (for example, I'd never in a million years buy "While The Iron's Hot" but I tried it out and kind of like it!).

Renting is something you would do from Blockbuster or some store.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58319 Posts
@Heil68 said:
@Pedro said:
@TheEroica said:

Same.

*jink*

Samesies

:D

Yeah same lol.

I don't mind having a Steam account full of hundreds (thousands?) of games, but TBH I wish I could give them away sometimes. It's not even about the value standpoint, I just want to share them like you share a book.

It's probably the only good argument left in favor of physical media.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hardwenzen

@tdkmillsy said:

If its not I'll buy it, these days its always bought digital so guess I buy to keep and not sell on.

Damage controlling GP, the service that is ruining the quality of your "exclusives". Typical.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

Rent rent rent baby, gamepass living rent free in your heads. But seriously, I end up buying many of the games that I enjoy on gamepass.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1049 Posts

100% to own games. That's why Sony and Nintendo rules the console business

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

This is a neat website: https://www.doesitplay.org/

It is a database of games that tracks whether they will play offline, and if downloads are needed to function or fix bugs. Not too many entries yet, but will be cool if they keep adding to it.

PS5 is actually better than I would have guessed with 68% of the games on the site not requiring a download to play or fix issues.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5885 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@tdkmillsy said:

Damage controlling GP, the service that is ruining the quality of your "exclusives". Typical.

How the hell is this damage controlling anything.

Stop looking for trouble.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DanishAnwar

@Pedro: PS5 blueray install 100GB+ games in 15-20 minutes. I just pushed the disk inside and it installs without much waiting.

And yes I have a 30 Mbps internet connection.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 Nonstop-Madness  Online
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

I prefer to buy games I want but, I try out a bunch of them off of PSN+ either through downloading or streaming.

Ex. I just downloaded Evil West and will try it out in between playing FF16 and, The Finals.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DanishAnwar

@Pedro: PS5 blueray installs 100GB+ games in 15-20 minutes. I just push the disk inside, and I get to play a game without much waiting.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hardwenzen

@tdkmillsy said:
@hardwenzen said:
@tdkmillsy said:

How the hell is this damage controlling anything.

Stop looking for trouble.

You already know the answer to your question. But if you somehow forgot, i will remind you. Gamepass, without a shadow of a doubt, is lowering the quality of your exclusives. This is a problem, a massive one.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#49 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts
@nod_calypse said:

@neatfeatguy: Right. Difference is, you buy a game on Steam, you have it forever, basically. You rent it on game pass, you have it intil they take it off game pass.

You still don't own it. Even the Steam subscriber agreement tells you that you don't own it.

F. Ownership of Content and Services

All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Content and Services and any and all copies thereof, are owned by Valve and/or its or its affiliates’ licensors. All rights are reserved, except as expressly stated herein. The Content and Services are protected by copyright laws, international copyright treaties and conventions and other laws. The Content and Services contain certain licensed materials and Valve’s and its affiliates’ licensors may protect their rights in the event of any violation of this Agreement.

You can read more about it here, if you want. You don't actually own the games. You have the rights to use the games until basically Steam sees fit to remove those rights from you. Now, maybe that'll never happen or maybe one day something happens and Steam has to shutter - all those games you "own" are no longer available to you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@neatfeatguy said:
@nod_calypse said:

You still don't own it. Even the Steam subscriber agreement tells you that you don't own it.

F. Ownership of Content and Services

All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Content and Services and any and all copies thereof, are owned by Valve and/or its or its affiliates’ licensors. All rights are reserved, except as expressly stated herein. The Content and Services are protected by copyright laws, international copyright treaties and conventions and other laws. The Content and Services contain certain licensed materials and Valve’s and its affiliates’ licensors may protect their rights in the event of any violation of this Agreement.

You can read more about it here, if you want. You don't actually own the games. You have the rights to use the games until basically Steam sees fit to remove those rights from you. Now, maybe that'll never happen or maybe one day something happens and Steam has to shutter - all those games you "own" are no longer available to you.

That's....not what I'm saying. I'm saying that, regardless of the agreement, you have the game as long as Steam exists, basically. Steam is not going to yank the game from you, lol. With Game Pass, you have the game until MS yanks it from Game Pass. Big difference.