Do you prefer to own or rent your games?

• 87 results
Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Do you prefer to own or rent your games? (64 votes)

I prefer to own my games. I don't use rental services like Game Pass. 50%
I prefer to rent my games. I like using rental servies like Game Pass. 11%
I like to own some games, and rent others. I use rental services like Game Pass sometimes, but not all the time. 39%

Do you primarily rent games on the likes of Game Pass, etc.? Or do you primarily purchase your games to own?

I definitely like to own my games, for various reasons, but one of the biggest is to revisit them at a later time. I often replay the games I own.

What about chu guyz?

• 
loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1154 Posts

Voted for ownership. This is what happens when you rent the game :

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/civil-war-in-xbox-land-hell-let-loose-private-serv-33614089/#js-message-4

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#52 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts
@Pedro said:
@danishanwar said:

After 35 years of gaming starting on Atari 2600 and have gamed as a kid, a single guy a married guy... A dad and now with kids I can safely say that I prefer to own games.

I have a large library of original gems like Dungeon Keeper, MGS, SIMS, Flight Simulator, Crysis, Dead Space, Elden Ring, and more backed up on my 3 TB drive that I can play even 20 years after release. I converted all my physical games to digital formats for preservation. My kids can also play them without having to purchase them again.

I replay good games multiple times. Owning a game I believe is relevant more than ever today with 100 GB+ AAA game sizes. To replay my library of dozens of recent AAA games, I can just install them in under 15 minutes and have fun.

• No need to wait 7+ hours for a game to download if I want to replay again.
  • No need to have an internet connection allowing me access to my games library even when the net is down.
  • No fear of games getting locked due to an account ban or hack, or games getting delisted from server.
  • No worry about system crashes as I can easily install and play all owned games on a new system.

Owning games makes it possible for a stress free gaming. I have never bought games from Steam, EPIC, PS Store, etc and never will. GOG and GameSpot like retailers are a godsend for gamers like me.

What system allows you to install a 100GB+ game from DVD in under 15 minutes?

Your internet download speed would need to be 30Mb/s for it to take 7 hours to download a 100GB game.

I think what @danishanwar was referencing was the fact that he has all his games downloaded and ready to go and made no mention of needing to install a 100+GB from DVD in 15 minutes. I think you just misread what he wrote.

Clearly any game he gets through GoG he needs to get the initial files downloaded to his side, but after that he can store them however he wants and where he wants. He now has the files on his side and simply needs to install the game from said files when he wants to and it doesn't take hours to wait for a 100+GB game to download again if he wanted to replay a game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#53  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69932 Posts
@neatfeatguy said:

I think what @danishanwar was referencing was the fact that he has all his games downloaded and ready to go and made no mention of needing to install a 100+GB from DVD in 15 minutes. I think you just misread what he wrote.

Clearly any game he gets through GoG he needs to get the initial files downloaded to his side, but after that he can store them however he wants and where he wants. He now has the files on his side and simply needs to install the game from said files when he wants to and it doesn't take hours to wait for a 100+GB game to download again if he wanted to replay a game.

Owning a game I believe is relevant more than ever today with 100 GB+ AAA game sizes.

To replay my library of dozens of recent AAA games, I can just install them in under 15 minutes and have fun.

No need to wait 7+ hours for a game to download if I want to replay again"

Which part of the above quote was misread?

The scenario you are creating applies regardless of ownership. If you have the game downloaded (via DVD or server), you can only play it if you "own" it or if you have an active subscription.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#54 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@Pedro said:
@neatfeatguy said:

Owning a game I believe is relevant more than ever today with 100 GB+ AAA game sizes.

To replay my library of dozens of recent AAA games, I can just install them in under 15 minutes and have fun.

No need to wait 7+ hours for a game to download if I want to replay again"

Which part of the above quote was misread?

The scenario you are creating applies regardless of ownership. If you have the game downloaded (via DVD or server), you can only play it if you "own" it or if you have an active subscription.

You said he had to install them off DVD. He doesn't have them on DVD. They files are already on a drive on his side, he simply just needs to install it. Installing a game from files already on a drive is a lot faster than having to wait for them to download and install.

You clearly didn't read all of his post:

I have a large library of original gems like Dungeon Keeper, MGS, SIMS, Flight Simulator, Crysis, Dead Space, Elden Ring, and more backed up on my 3 TB drive that I can play even 20 years after release. I converted all my physical games to digital formats for preservation. My kids can also play them without having to purchase them again.

Here are the steps:

1. He buys recent games from GoG.
  2. Downloads the files to his side (he doesn't need to install them at this point in time if he doesn't want to)
  3. Game files are readily available on his side to do with as he pleases. He can install, uninstall, install uninstall the same games when he wants without having to re-download them because he has the files on his drive.

If you didn't know, having a game downloaded from GoG requires zero internet connection to play the and requires no DRM of any kind to run the game. Steam or Origin or Uplay (maybe EGS, I don't really know much about it), they are digital DRM platforms. You need them to run the game, even if it's in offline mode for Steam you still need verification to initially run the game before going to offline mode. GoG requires none of that from the a games you purchase from it.

So, yes, you misread it. He has the game files already on his side which is why he said no need to redownload and wait 7+ hours.

I've got a couple 50+GB games saved on my computer, these are game files that are not currently installed. If I want to play one of the games it takes maybe 10 minutes to install it. I play the game and I can uninstall when I'm done. If for some reason I want to play the game again later I just install and wait about 10ish minutes then I can play it again.

Sorry if you don't understand.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Pedro

@neatfeatguy said:

You said he had to install them off DVD. He doesn't have them on DVD. They files are already on a drive on his side, he simply just needs to install it. Installing a game from files already on a drive is a lot faster than having to wait for them to download and install.

Here are the steps:

2. Downloads the files to his side (he doesn't need to install them at this point in time if he doesn't want to)
  3. Game files are readily available on his side to do with as he pleases. He can install, uninstall, install uninstall the same games when he wants without having to re-download them because he has the files on his drive.

If you didn't know, having a game downloaded from GoG requires zero internet connection to play the and requires no DRM of any kind to run the game. Steam or Origin or Uplay (maybe EGS, I don't really know much about it), they are digital DRM platforms. You need them to run the game, even if it's in offline mode for Steam you still need verification to initially run the game before going to offline mode. GoG requires none of that from the a games you purchase from it.

So, yes, you misread it. He has the game files already on his side which is why he said no need to redownload and wait 7+ hours.

I've got a couple 50+GB games saved on my computer, these are game files that are not currently installed. If I want to play one of the games it takes maybe 10 minutes to install it. I play the game and I can uninstall when I'm done. If for some reason I want to play the game again later I just install and wait about 10ish minutes then I can play it again.

I am completely lost. Can you explain all these overly technical terms?

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6033 Posts
@hardwenzen said:
@tdkmillsy said:
@hardwenzen said:
@tdkmillsy said:

If its on rental at the time I want to play it, I'll play on that.

If its not I'll buy it, these days its always bought digital so guess I buy to keep and not sell on.

Damage controlling GP, the service that is ruining the quality of your "exclusives". Typical.

How the hell is this damage controlling anything.

Stop looking for trouble.

You already know the answer to your question. But if you somehow forgot, i will remind you. Gamepass, without a shadow of a doubt, is lowering the quality of your exclusives. This is a problem, a massive one.

That wasn't the question,

How the hell is what I wrote damage controlling anything.

I simply answer the thread.

You are so desperate your trying to turn it onto GamePass when it simply doesn't apply.

My statement applies to all platforms.

If you want to talk about games on gamepass create your own thread.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39292 Posts

@tdkmillsy said:
@hardwenzen said:
@tdkmillsy said:
@hardwenzen said:
@tdkmillsy said:

If its on rental at the time I want to play it, I'll play on that.

If its not I'll buy it, these days its always bought digital so guess I buy to keep and not sell on.

Damage controlling GP, the service that is ruining the quality of your "exclusives". Typical.

How the hell is this damage controlling anything.

Stop looking for trouble.

You already know the answer to your question. But if you somehow forgot, i will remind you. Gamepass, without a shadow of a doubt, is lowering the quality of your exclusives. This is a problem, a massive one.

That wasn't the question,

How the hell is what I wrote damage controlling anything.

I simply answer the thread.

You are so desperate your trying to turn it onto GamePass when it simply doesn't apply.

My statement applies to all platforms.

If you want to talk about games on gamepass create your own thread.

I answered above, and it is your question. GP is ruining your favorite system, and instead of wanting it to change, you buy it, praise it, and deny the damage it does.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 tdkmillsy

@hardwenzen: If its on rental at the time I want to play it, I'll play on that.

The question was about rental services LIKE gamepass. This applies to all services and for me I apply it to film and game on all platforms.

Where does it say anything about gamepass?

Where does it damage control?

Be specific.

Your delusional and it's such a lame attempt to move the thread to your own agenda.

You will just repeat the same shit now because you have been caught out.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6341 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness: Evil West is a great game best played on the harder difficulty otherwise it's too easy.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56253 Posts

@Pedro said:
@neatfeatguy said:

Here are the steps:

I am completely lost. Can you explain all these overly technical terms?

I completely understand what was said but if you can't, I don't see the reason the pink Rabbit needs to further it down.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 hardwenzen

@tdkmillsy said:

The question was about rental services LIKE gamepass. This applies to all services and for me I apply it to film and game on all platforms.

Be specific.

Your delusional and it's such a lame attempt to move the thread to your own agenda.

Not delusional (sorry), nor am i moving the thread anywhere. This thread is obviously related to gamepass, and if you aren't seeing it, you are the delusional. You, a grown ass man that goes to the gym, understands damn well that supporting gamepass (which you do), lowers the quality of your own games, but because you know its not changing anytime soon, you pretend to be perfectly fine with a rent service, while in reality, Xbox exclusive have fallen down a cliff, and Hellblade 2 will be the next epic failure to remind you that gamepass is not the way.

You were cought damage controlling in 4k, and i have all the clips now. Its over for you tdkmillsy.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 tdkmillsy

@hardwenzen said:
@tdkmillsy said:

Be specific.

Not delusional (sorry), nor am i moving the thread anywhere. This thread is obviously related to gamepass, and if you aren't seeing it, you are the delusional. You, a grown ass man that goes to the gym, understands damn well that supporting gamepass (which you do), lowers the quality of your own games, but because you know its not changing anytime soon, you pretend to be perfectly fine with a rent service, while in reality, Xbox exclusive have fallen down a cliff, and Hellblade 2 will be the next epic failure to remind you that gamepass is not the way.

You were cought damage controlling in 4k, and i have all the clips now. Its over for you tdkmillsy.

You need to learn English

Like as a preposition meaning ‘similar to’

Like - Grammar - Cambridge Dictionary

abbreviation foret cetera: and other similar things. It is used to avoid giving a completelist:

ETC. | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary

Both clearly used in the original thread post.

Clear as day nothing to do with GamePass

and even if it was just aimed at GamePass (which its clearly not), I still didn't damage control I simply answered the question.

If you are simply going to try and put words into my mouth or redirect my posts to your stupid obsession over GamePass then I have no interest in talking to you.

So kindly grow up or **** off.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By hardwenzen

@tdkmillsy said:
@hardwenzen said:
@tdkmillsy said:

Be specific.

abbreviation foret cetera: and other similar things. It is used to avoid giving a completelist:

and even if it was just aimed at GamePass (which its clearly not), I still didn't damage control I simply answered the question.

If you are simply going to try and put words into my mouth or redirect my posts to your stupid obsession over GamePass then I have no interest in talking to you.

Everything, and i mean EVERYTHING. has to do with gamepass. How is that you're having such a hard time seeing it? I can't even have a mature, civilized conversation with you, you're raging too much, and telling me to **** off. How immature of you.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44333 Posts

@hardwenzen: Stop harassing people.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Pedro

@davillain said:

I completely understand what was said but if you can't, I don't see the reason the pink Rabbit needs to further it down.

You fell for that?😂

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By hardwenzen

@Archangel3371 said:

@hardwenzen: Stop harassing people.

Wut? I am talking talking to him, not you.🤷‍♂️

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 286 Posts

Honestly I'll rent just to see if it matches my expectations if it does I buy it

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Archangel3371

@hardwenzen: Public thread. 🤷‍♂️

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 hardwenzen

@Archangel3371 said:

@hardwenzen: Public thread. 🤷‍♂️

Stop crying Mr I Love Every Game That Comes Out. Nobody was talking to you.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Archangel3371

@hardwenzen: Stop harassing people. 🤷‍♂️

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By hardwenzen

@Archangel3371 said:

@hardwenzen: Stop harassing people. 🤷‍♂️

Read the definition of harassment🤷‍♂️And don't be jelly because he is getting my attention and not you🤡

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Archangel3371

@hardwenzen: What you’re doing is the very definition of harassment and I seem to have gotten your attention just fine. 🤷‍♂️

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By hardwenzen

@Archangel3371 said:

@hardwenzen: What you’re doing is the very definition of harassment and I seem to have gotten your attention just fine. 🤷‍♂️

If this is harassement, you're a little snowflake. Maybe SYSTEM WARS is too hardcore for you. Try the teletubbies forum🤡 And i do feel ashamed giving you a drop of my attention.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Archangel3371

@hardwenzen: Maybe you should just stop harassing people. 🤷‍♂️

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By hardwenzen
@Archangel3371 said:

@hardwenzen: Maybe you should just stop harassing people. 🤷‍♂️

Now you're harassing me. Maybe you should stop harassing me?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Archangel3371

@hardwenzen: Wrong. You must really love shame since you keep on giving me attention though. 🤔😂

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By hardwenzen
@Archangel3371 said:

@hardwenzen: Wrong. You must really love shame since you keep on giving me attention though. 🤔😂

I had no idea sheep could harass others.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Archangel3371

@hardwenzen: You just can’t help yourself can you? 😅

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#79 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

I rent some (the ones I wouldn't otherwise buy), and I buy the rest.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 tdkmillsy

@hardwenzen said:
@tdkmillsy said:
@hardwenzen said:
@tdkmillsy said:

Be specific.

Everything, and i mean EVERYTHING. has to do with gamepass. How is that you're having such a hard time seeing it? I can't even have a mature, civilized conversation with you, you're raging too much, and telling me to **** off. How immature of you.

And you call me immature.

Half the replies involve other systems to GamePass, yet you decided to derail what was an interesting question with your obsession with GamePass and me.

Got better things to do.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115430 Posts

Own, I'm not big a fan of these gamepass things. I don't mind that it exists, but physically owning will always be better.
If I'm curious on something I'll check videos and reviews or ask friends before buying.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#82 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

i prefer own my games

EnergyAbsorber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By EnergyAbsorber
Member since 2005 • 5112 Posts

I have fond memories of renting games as a kid when Blockbuster still existed.

I can’t say I’m a fan of todays subscription based rentals though.

Spelamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Spelamera
Member since 2024 • 72 Posts

Games is not released full on disc anymore anyway, gaming today is not what it once was. That combined with i almost never replay games, Gamepass/PS+ is the right way to go.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

I would prefer to own everything, just in case I ever want to replay it, but it's not feasible.

If I'm being honest, I'll come back to maybe 20% of the games I buy. Those are the ones I should have bought. Didn't know that at the time, though, did I?

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

@neatfeatguy: Problem with Steam is, as far as I'm aware, they implement a rolling user agreement. It doesn't matter what agreement you were on when you bought the game; it's the current service agreement which is binding. Don't accept and you lose access to your games.

I hope someone's going to tell me I'm wrong about that.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#88  Edited By Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

To be honest I'm not a big fan of subscription services only just to play online on consoles. I prefer to own my games because I take my time with them. With gamepass or PS plus I feel pressured to finish games and that's not fun.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

I definitely prefer to own, you would have to be a bot not to want to. I use to rent video games back in the day when I was a kid to try them but it was only because I had no money to purchase them at full price. It's very simple for me. You pay one price and you own the video game the rest of your life, where as you rent it ala gamepass you will keep paying for it the rest of your life. There is stupid and not stupid paths/approaches.