Do you consider PC a 'Microsoft' platform?

• 156 results
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

@Antwan3K said:

I mean I tolerate alot of the nonsensical BS in this forum but to imply Microsoft doesn't own the Windows platform (Full Stop) is next level idiocy.

I have no idea what your problem is. I don't think anyone have said that Microsoft doesn't own Windows. People are saying Microsoft doesn't own PC. Do you not see the difference? You're the one who keeps adding "Windows PC".

-Guys, you so stupid saying Windows PC isn't a Microsoft platform.
-Dude. No one is saying that.
-Guys, you so stupid. Windows is owned by Microsoft.
-Umm..

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

@Litchie: so what other "PC" do you think TC was talking about with they said "Microsoft OS"?

if TC wasn't referring to a "Windows PC", then what was he/she referring to?..

"Umm.." indeed..

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Litchie

@Antwan3K said:

@Litchie: so what other "PC" do you think TC was talking about with they said "Microsoft OS"?

if TC wasn't referring to a "Windows PC", then what was he/she referring to?..

Just PC.

His example in the post was if a PC which has Windows and plays games from Steam should be called a Windows platform or a Steam platform. I still don't see how his post automatically changes his topic to "Windows PC".

So.. do you consider PC a Windows platform, even though you don't have Windows installed on it? If the answer is no, you agree with basically everyone in the thread.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Antwan3K

@fedor said:
@Antwan3K said:

Steam =/= Windows PC.. the question wasn't "do you consider Steam a Microsoft platform?"..

the question is "do you consider [Windows] PC a Microsoft platform"?.. the answer should simply be a statement of fact.. "yes"..

Stop changing the question.

so when someone says "PC", you don't think "Windows"?..

I realize PC gamers don't want to associate themselves with Microsoft but you're living in a fantasy world if you don't think this conversation is about Windows PC when the TC literally said "Microsoft OS"..

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Antwan3K

@Litchie said:

Just PC.

His example in the post was if a PC which has Windows and plays games from Steam should be called a Windows platform or a Steam platform. I still don't see how his post automatically changes his topic to "Windows PC".

So.. do you consider PC a Windows platform, even though you don't have Windows installed on it? If the answer is no, you agree with basically everyone in the thread.

again, re-read the OP.. where did he ask if it should be called a "Steam platform"?

you guys are trying way too hard here..

in terms of this topic, all these platforms are housed under the Windows (Microsoft OS) platform.. if he is asking who owns Steam the answer is clear.. and that answer should be just as clear as who owns Windows..

if TC wants to clarify his question, please do.. i don't think anyone is saying Microsoft own Steam, Nvidia, or anything else.. does Microsoft own every gaming storefront whether it's Steam , Epic, or another?.. no.. but to imply that Microsoft doesn't own the Windows PC platform is absurd..

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Litchie

@Antwan3K said:
@Litchie said:

Just PC.

again, re-read the OP.. where did he ask if it should be called a "Steam platform"?

you guys are trying way too hard here..

in terms of this topic, all these platforms are housed under the Windows (Microsoft OS) platform.. if he is asking who owns Steam the answer is clear.. and that answer should be just as clear as who owns Windows..

I did, and that's still what I got from it. Keep acting like he was only talking about Windows PCs in the topic if you want. Until he clarifies, I don't think anyone can be sure.

The bolded, yeah. The company making the product owns the product. But again, no one have said that Microsoft doesn't own Windows. You're going on and on about that, while adding "Windows" into the topic question. But I'm the one trying hard?

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Antwan3K

@Litchie: again, what other "PC" runs a "Microsoft OS"?.. please stop with the semantics.. Microsoft OS = Windows.. therefore, we are talking about a Windows PC.. what more clarification do you need?..

you are indeed trying too hard..

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Litchie

lol. k. Have fun.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Antwan3K

@Litchie said:

lol. k. Have fun.

exactly..

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Litchie

@Antwan3K said:
@Litchie said:

lol. k. Have fun.

exactly..

Yeah. Exactly..

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#111 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Just bagged a FE for £649, and yes Windows is and isn't a MS platform.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#112 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

PC belongs to no one. If a free OS was to release tomorrow that runs all the games better than Windows with zero issues, many gamers would gladly jump ship.

It's a free and open market. Microsoft merely has a presence in it, just like how Intel and AMD have a presence in it, just like how Steam and EGS have a presence in it, and so on. A very large and significant presence, sure, but still merely one among many. Google is the dominant search engine. Is internet search engine a Google platform?

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

PC no, Windows yes. Lems will say yes so they have some imaginary leg up.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

For decades and decades now. If you're not using windows for gaming you're doing it wrong. :P

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#115  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think some of you don't realize this, perhaps inclutlding the TC given the MS OS comment, but Steam "sits" on Linux too, and they've built a surprisingly effective compatibility layer to back that up for games that don't officially support it.

Now, in real talk MS completely dominates the PC gaming scene with Windows. But no, PC is not owned by MS.

Avatar image for deactivated-62852ef1135c6
deactivated-62852ef1135c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 deactivated-62852ef1135c6
Member since 2021 • 1322 Posts

@Sagemode87 said:

PC no, Windows yes. Lems will say yes so they have some imaginary leg up.

Lol, yep. And it's some freakin' sad shit.

To be honest this thread really shows the beauty of PC. There are no masters. Hermits take what they want, from where they want. No one platform defines PC. Total freedom (mostly).

At the same time, admittedly, this is why PC can be a headache. But most of us wouldn't have it any other way. It just comes with the territory.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#117 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69473 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I think some of you don't realize this, perhaps inclutlding the TC given the MS OS comment, but Steam "sits" on Linux too, and they've built a surprisingly effective compatibility layer to back that up for games that don't officially support it.

Now, in real talk MS completely dominates the PC gaming scene with Windows. But no, PC is not owned by MS.

PC isn't owned by MS but it is a MS platform. 😮

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#118 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22676 Posts

Who makes money when a game is put on pc?

Does Microsoft get a cut every time?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Pedro

@TheEroica said:

Who makes money when a game is put on pc?

Does Microsoft get a cut every time?

Making money is not a criteria for something to be a platform. You all are misunderstanding the term of what is a platform. A definition was already cited.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#120 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

That's a bit like calling PC an Intel or AMD platform for the CPU, or an AMD or Nvidia platform for the GPU, and so on. The OS is just one part of the PC platform. Doesn't matter if it's Windows, Mac or Linux.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Pedro

@Jag85 said:

That's a bit like calling PC an Intel or AMD platform for the CPU, or an AMD or Nvidia platform for the GPU, and so on. The OS is just one part of the PC platform. Doesn't matter if it's Windows, Mac or Linux.

The OS is what makes PC. Games announced for PC is always associated with the Windows Platform. If the game is for other systems like MacOS and Linux, it is explicitly stated as such. If your system is made up of AMD, Nvidia or Intel parts those are all platforms.

Are we done pretending that PC isn't Windows?

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

The many platforms of the Personal Computer. This thread was worth just to see Debatelord3k in his element.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#123 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@Pedro said:
@pyro1245 said:

Sure, Windows is an MS platform. A computer is just hardware, if anything it is an x86 platform, or an ARM platform.

...but I'm not seeing a good argument for a computer being an MS hardware platform in a direct sense.

If you are playing a Steam game on Windows, does that make the game multi-platform? No doubt both MS and Valve benefit in some way, but when you are using Steam there is also no doubt Valve is benefiting from that arrangement more than MS.

This is one of those things that, yeah you could argue one way or the other - but one of those ways you're gonna be doing some mental gymnastics to make it so.

The question in the OP says 'PC', not 'Windows'. The answer is a pretty easy no - an 'it depends' at best.

PC gaming is gaming on Windows. Lets not go done the silly train. When a game states "available on PC" they not talking about MacOS, Linux or any other platform but Windows.

This is not one of those things you can argue one way or the other. Windows is the defacto platform for PC gaming. That is a fact. Steam, GOG, Origin are all game fronts and their own platform. It is not complicated. It is a very simple concept.

Let's recap:

• Xbox: MS platform, regardless of hardware
  • Steam: Valve platform, regardless of hardware
  • Windows: MS platform, regardless of hardware

Call it whatever you want. There are no rules here, just common sense - and you are stretching it.

When I boot into Windows to play a Game Pass game, you may call it an MS platform. Since the software can change, it is de facto not a MS platform until I make it one. So you see, stretching.

System wars has always had a difficult time separating hardware from software.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@Pedro said:
@Jag85 said:

The OS is what makes PC. Games announced for PC is always associated with the Windows Platform. If the game is for other systems like MacOS and Linux, it is explicitly stated as such. If your system is made up of AMD, Nvidia or Intel parts those are all platforms.

Are we done pretending that PC isn't Windows?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_games

As someone who games all the time on Linux, I disagree. In fact it's not a point to "agree" on - it's just wrong to say PC = Windows.

And the above list discounts Proton, which works really well for maybe 70% of the non-linux games I've tried

I'm not disputing that Windows is 100% the dominant platform for PC gaming. It's the first thing that comes to mind and the market share especially for gaming dwarfs the competition. But it's not the sole platform and that includes new games (in fact its exclusivity is far less now than it used to be, even if it remains overwhelming. Back in the day there was basically no such thing as a AAA Linux game release)

*edit* actually this list is incomplete. There are numerous big hitters and popular games missing right there including the Total War Warhammer games, Valheim, Crusader Kings III, Mount and Blade II Bannerlord... that list sucks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-62852ef1135c6

@Pedro said:

You all are misunderstanding

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Pedro

@xantufrog said:

As someone who games all the time on Linux, I disagree. In fact it's not a point to "agree" on - it's just wrong to say PC = Windows.

And the above list discounts Proton, which works really well for maybe 70% of the non-linux games I've tried

I'm not disputing that Windows is 100% the dominant platform for PC gaming. It's the first thing that comes to mind and the market share especially for gaming dwarfs the competition. But it's not the sole platform and that includes new games (in fact its exclusivity is far less now than it used to be, even if it remains overwhelming. Back in the day there was basically no such thing as a AAA Linux game release)

*edit* actually this list is incomplete. There are numerous big hitters and popular games missing right there including the Total War Warhammer games, Valheim, Crusader Kings III, Mount and Blade II Bannerlord... that list sucks

Come man. If a game is listed as PC game or available on PC it is understood as Windows. When anyone on this forum is talking about games on PC, we are talking about Windows. When anyone is talking about PC gaming they are not talking about Linux or MacOS. You are being disingenuous.

Unless I am mistaken, no one was arguing that there aren't games made for other platforms such as Linux and MacOS.

As stated on page 1

...When a game is announced for PC it is almost 100% Microsoft Windows they are referring to. The PC moniker has become a Windows thing despite the actual abbreviation indicating to the contrary.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Pedro
@pyro1245 said:

Let's recap:

• Xbox: MS platform, regardless of hardware
  • Steam: Valve platform, regardless of hardware
  • Windows: MS platform, regardless of hardware

Call it whatever you want. There are no rules here, just common sense - and you are stretching it.

When I boot into Windows to play a Game Pass game, you may call it an MS platform. Since the software can change, it is de facto not a MS platform until I make it one. So you see, stretching.

System wars has always had a difficult time separating hardware from software.

There are rules. These rules are definitions. This trend of re-inventing definitions because of emotional attachment is far too common. So, it is not a matter of calling it whatever I want or you want. It is calling it for what it is. Simple.

The fact is Windows is a platform. It doesn't matter what you think. How you feel about. Whether or not you acknowledge it. It is a platform. Again, simple.

EDIT: I am amaze that this is even a debate. Emotional attachments to hardware and software is definitely not limited to console fans as demonstrated here.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Litchie

@Pedro said:
@xantufrog said:

Come man. If a game is listed as PC game or available on PC it is understood as Windows. When anyone on this forum is talking about games on PC, we are talking about Windows. When anyone is talking about PC gaming they are not talking about Linux or MacOS. You are being disingenuous.

Unless I am mistaken, no one was arguing that there aren't games made for other platforms such as Linux and MacOS.

As stated on page 1

...When a game is announced for PC it is almost 100% Microsoft Windows they are referring to. The PC moniker has become a Windows thing despite the actual abbreviation indicating to the contrary.

You gotta help me understand.. PC = Windows platform, because people who game on Linux are fewer, and PC games are almost always made with Windows in mind?

How is a Linux PC being used to play a Linux game a Windows platform?

I mean, a PC is likely to be a Windows platform. But not always.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#129 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58955 Posts

For gaming yes.

It's mainly hipsters that use Linux and Apple is just hipsters who love burning money.

It's Microsofts platform.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Pedro

@Litchie said:

You gotta help me understand.. PC = Windows platform, because people who game on Linux are fewer, and PC games are almost always made with Windows in mind?

I believe I clearly stated in my re-quote. When the media and gamers are talking about PC gaming they are referring to Windows. This isn't something new. When a game is announced for PC, no one thinks "I can't wait to play it on Linux or MacOS." I am not even sure why this is a "thing".

I don't know why PC gaming being associated with Microsoft and Microsoft being associated with PC gaming is a "thing". This is a non-issue that is being made into an issue. I would have thought something this basic and fundamental to PC gaming (yes! I am referring to Windows) would not be this contentious.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Litchie

@Pedro said:
@Litchie said:

I believe I clearly stated in my re-quote. When the media and gamers are talking about PC gaming they are referring to Windows. This isn't something new. When a game is announced for PC, no one thinks "I can't wait to play it on Linux or MacOS." I am not even sure why this is a "thing".

I don't know why PC gaming being associated with Microsoft and Microsoft being associated with PC gaming is a "thing". This is a non-issue that is being made into an issue. I would have thought something this basic and fundamental to PC gaming (yes! I am referring to Windows) would not be this contentious.

Why does this:

"When the media and gamers are talking about PC gaming they are referring to Windows. This isn't something new. When a game is announced for PC, no one thinks "I can't wait to play it on Linux or MacOS."

Make PC a Windows platform? Why does it matter what people talk about most? I bet there's several Linux gamers who talk about gaming on Linux. But again, why does that matter?

You also said:

@Pedro said:
The OS is what makes PC.

So a Linux OS makes the PC a Linux platform, no?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Pedro

@Litchie said:

Why does this:

"When the media and gamers are talking about PC gaming they are referring to Windows. This isn't something new. When a game is announced for PC, no one thinks "I can't wait to play it on Linux or MacOS."

Make PC a Windows platform? Why does it matter what people talk about most? I bet there's several Linux gamers who talk about gaming on Linux. But again, why does that matter?

You also said:

When people have conversations there is a certain level of what is understood. What you and several others are attempting to do is make what is understood in general conversations, something else. When we talk about PC gaming we are not talking about Linux or MacOS. When we are talking about Linux and MacOS, we specifically refer to those operating systems. Again, this is not a complicated issue.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 deactivated-62852ef1135c6

@Litchie: Pedro's just taking popularity for the actual definition. Basically discounting what isn't popular. This is why he's technically wrong. It is also why he keeps trying to prove he's right: because he can't, and it infuriates him.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Litchie

@Pedro said:
@Litchie said:

Why does this:

You also said:

When people have conversations there is a certain level of what is understood. What you and several others are attempting to do is make what is understood in general conversations, something else. When we talk about PC gaming we are not talking about Linux or MacOS. When we are talking about Linux and MacOS, we specifically refer to those operating systems. Again, this is not a complicated issue.

And what people talk about the most makes the platform?

This is just a circle of weirdness to me. And you're not answering my questions. Why not just give me a Yes or No on "A Linux PC makes it a Linux platform" statement. Why instead repeat a third time that most things use Windows?

A PC with Windows is a Windows platform, correct? Yes.
A PC with Linux is a Linux platform, correct? NO. Because most things use Windows.
OK, but why does it matter what "most things use"?
No answer.
So... A Linux PC is a Linux platform then? NO, it's a Windows platform.
What?? How??
Because most things use and most talk and refer to Windows.

Like... what?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Pc will always be an open platform.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Pedro

@Litchie said:

And what people talk about the most makes the platform?

This is just a circle of weirdness to me. And you're not answering my questions. Why not just give me a Yes or No on "A Linux PC makes it a Linux platform" statement. Why instead repeat a third time that most things use Windows?

A PC with Windows is a Windows platform, correct? Yes.

A PC with Linux is a Linux platform, correct? NO. Because most things use Windows.

OK, but why does it matter what "most things use"?

No answer.

So... A Linux PC is a Linux platform then? NO, it's a Windows platform.

What?? How??

Because most things use and most talk and refer to Windows.

Like... what?

What people talk about most doesn't make anything a platform. PC is just synonymous with Windows.

Linux being a platform was never called into question until you arrived. So, what are you ranting about now?

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Curious as Steam, Epic, Origin ect are generally considered platforms in themselves - "coming to Steam" for example - but still sit on Microsoft's OS.

Steam, Epic etc. are essentially distribution platforms, so they are in the same category as Microsoft Store, PS Store and Nintendo eShop.

Operating systems such as Windows, macOS, Linux, as well as middleware, runtimes etc., are platforms for software. However, that does not mean that PC platforms are owned by those companies that sell operating systems.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Litchie

@Pedro said:

What people talk about most doesn't make anything a platform. PC is just synonymous with Windows.

Linux being a platform was never called into question until you arrived. So, what are you ranting about now?

I'm not ranting, or at least I don't mean to. I'm only trying to understand why a PC without Windows would be considered a Windows platform, and just used Linux as an example. And I'm not seeing any other explanation than "most PC things refer to Windows". And that's not an explanation on why PC = Windows, which you mentioned yourself with your first sentence.

PC is synonomous with Windows. Yeah, I guess, it's the most popular OS. That's still not an explanation on how a Linux PC would be a Windows platform.

Linux (or other OSs) being a platform or not came into question as soon as you ask "is PC a Windows platform", which was the topic question. The answer should be "in most cases" rather than just "yes". Or maybe "yes, it's also a Linux or whatever the hell OS you're using-platform".

Is all this arguing just because of the topic and post being different from eachother?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Pedro

@Litchie said:

I'm not ranting, or at least I don't mean to. I'm only trying to understand why a PC without Windows would be considered a Windows platform, and just used Linux as an example. And I'm not seeing any other explanation than "most PC things refer to Windows". And that's not an explanation on why PC = Windows, which you mentioned yourself with your first sentence.

PC is synonomous with Windows. Yeah, I guess, it's the most popular OS. That's still not an explanation on how a Linux PC would be a Windows platform.

Linux (or other OSs) being a platform or not came into question as soon as you ask "is PC a Windows platform", which was the topic question. Since PC can have OSs that aren't Windows, you shouldn't say PC = Windows.

Is all this debating just because of the topic and post being different from eachother?

Again, you are making things more complicated than it need be. Your question has been answered many times over. Who said that a PC with Linux is a Windows platform? I have clearly stated that when referencing games with support for these other platforms such as Linux and MacOS, the reference is explicit. When talking about PC gaming, Windows is implicit unless explicitly stated otherwise.

It is clear to me that you don't like the explanation more than it not being explained. In the process, you are creating scenarios that was not proposed. PC being synonymous to Windows is as simple as it gets. It is not a denial that other OSes exist. We have talked about the other OSes. It seems to me, that you are trying to argue that when people talk about PCs they are typically referring to MacOS and Linux or any other OS that can be installed. Which is simply not true. And I have stated before while PC is personal computer, the usage of the acronym is synonymous to windows and has been for decades.

Then we having people talking about ownership of PC, which to me is outside the scope the conversation when the initial question was whether or not PC is a Microsoft platform and the answer is yes. Just like MacOS and Linux or whatever variant of choice.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#141 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@Pedro said:

The fact is Windows is a platform.

I'm glad we agree.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Litchie

@Pedro: Yes. Thank you. I get it now.

@Pedro said:

Who said that a PC with Linux is a Windows platform?

I thought you were implying that. I was wrong.

@Pedro said:

It is clear to me that you don't like the explanation more than it not being explained. In the process, you are creating scenarios that was not proposed.

No man. Was only trying to understand. And when I don't understand, I can get frustrated. Being human and all that.

@Pedro said:

PC being synonymous to Windows is as simple as it gets. It is not a denial that other OSes exist.

I felt that saying PC = Windows was a way of denying the existance of other OSs.

@Pedro said:

It seems to me, that you are trying to argue that when people talk about PCs they are typically referring to MacOS and Linux or any other OS that can be installed. Which is simply not true.

No, that is not what I was trying to argue, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. Just didn't want other OSs (or "PC platforms") to be ignored just to be able to say PC = Windows.

@Pedro said:

Then we having people talking about ownership of PC, which to me is outside the scope the conversation when the initial question was whether or not PC is a Microsoft platform and the answer is yes. Just like MacOS and Linux or whatever variant of choice.

Indeed.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Pedro

@Litchie: Then we are all good. 👍

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 xantufrog  Moderator

@Pedro: @Litchie: Windows is a Microsoft platform. Windows is a PC platform. PC is not a Microsoft platform. PC is not a Windows platform. The directionality of the language is what I was reacting to. The question wasn't one of the former two but one of the latter two. I know it's pedantic, but when I started on PC MS wasn't even the only version of DOS. When I look at a game on steam, for my PC, I look at what OS it is available on and decide where to install it. Obviously one can assume Windows is an option, but it's not what defines my computer

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#145 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Yes and (kinda) no.

Microsoft is the platform holder thus making PC gaming (for the vast majority) a Microsoft platform, like it or not.

But that's about where MS' involvement stops in the sense that you're free to release software and conduct business however you like on that platform so it feels less like one company's playground and more of an open market. But that platform still belongs to Microsoft.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Pedro

@xantufrog said:

@Pedro: @Litchie: Windows is a Microsoft platform. Windows is a PC platform. PC is not a Microsoft platform. PC is not a Windows platform. The directionality of the language is what I was reacting to. The question wasn't one of the former two but one of the latter two. I know it's pedantic, but when I started on PC MS wasn't even the only version of DOS. When I look at a game on steam, for my PC, I look at what OS it is available on and decide where to install it. Obviously one can assume Windows is an option, but it's not what defines my computer

You are making an argument from your personal experience while ignoring the general application of the acronym PC. If you want to argue that when gamers, media, publishers and developers talk about PC gaming they are referring to Linux and MacOS, then I not sure what else can be said. 🤷‍♀️

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@Pedro: but I'm not arguing "from personal experience" or that PC = Linux... if anything my argument is trying to get us away from being overly simple or idiosyncratic. The only reason I brought up my personal experience was to demonstrate that it's a bigger thing than "just" Windows. Certainly not to swing the definition towards a DIFFERENT OS

I don't understand man... I just don't understand.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Pedro

@xantufrog said:

@Pedro: but I'm not arguing "from personal experience" or that PC = Linux... if anything my argument is trying to get us away from being overly simple or idiosyncratic. The only reason I brought up my personal experience was to demonstrate that it's a bigger thing than "just" Windows. Certainly not to swing the definition towards a DIFFERENT OS

In the same manner people state PCs are faster and better than consoles is an overly simplistic but understood mantra, the same can be said with regards to PCs being Windows. It not an accurate statement but it is a general statement that rings mostly true. I am not sure why we are trying to make a exemption in this case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 deactivated-62852ef1135c6

@Pedro said:
@xantufrog said:

In the same manner people state PCs are faster and better than consoles is an overly simplistic but understood mantra, the same can be said with regards to PCs being Windows. It not an accurate statement but it is a general statement that rings mostly true. I am not sure why we are trying to make a exemption in this case.

"not an accurate statement"

The truest thing you've said.

Also: "mostly true" = not really true

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Pedro

@wandering_halls: Seems like my posts are really getting you. 😂