Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59069 Posts
@mysticaldonut said:

The reviews I watched said the game is only about 9 hours in length. It is also a 2D sidescroller. No idea how or why this is priced at $59.99. Only Nintendo can get away with that.

As an outsider of the genre, this is an excellent point.

Why pay £50+ when can pick up shit like Hollow Knight or Ori for about 1/5 of that price?

In the old landscape sure. But now Nintendo have direct competitors in the genre, and good ones. Arguably better from what i've read offering substantially higher value.

Yet your average IGN shill and Nintendo fanboy =

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23941 Posts
O@uninspiredcup said:
@mysticaldonut said:

The reviews I watched said the game is only about 9 hours in length. It is also a 2D sidescroller. No idea how or why this is priced at $59.99. Only Nintendo can get away with that.

Why pay £50+ when can pick up shit like Hollow Knight or Ori for about 1/5 of that price?

In the old landscape sure. But now Nintendo have direct competitors in the genre, and good ones. Arguably better from what i've read offering substantially higher value.

Ownership of Metroid isnt mutually exclusive with ownership of Hollow Knight. And vice versa.

Both games are just superb. And there is nothing wrong with a game being 9 hours long, in fact, around 9 hours is the ideal time for a single player game.

And that also goes for RPGs.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Maroxad said:

Ownership of Metroid isnt mutually exclusive with ownership of Hollow Knight. And vice versa.

Both games are just superb. And there is nothing wrong with a game being 9 hours long, in fact, around 9 hours is the ideal time for a single player game.

There's also nothing wrong with comparing it to a competitor in the same genre when it comes to quality/value. It's beneficial.

In that regard, Hollow Knight specifically, appears to completely obliterate this title.

Had Hollow Knight simply had the brand "Nintendo" on it, it's price probably would skyrocket by virtue of merely having that tag.

It's like trainers (or sneakers as Americanos incorrectly call them) where one pair is the exact same shit as Adidas, but the other pair is called "Adidas", so you're expected to pay 6 times that by default. Or the kids at school will imply you're poor.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Maroxad
@uninspiredcup said:
@Maroxad said:

There's also nothing wrong with comparing it to a competitor in the same genre when it comes to quality/value. It's beneficial.

In that regard, Hollow Knight specifically, appears to completely obliterate this title.

Had Hollow Knight simply had the brand "Nintendo" on it, it's price probably would skyrocket by virtue of merely having that tag.

It's like trainers (or sneakers as Americanos incorrectly call them) where one pair is the exact same shit as Adidas, but the other pair is called "Adidas", so you're expected to pay 6 times that by default. Or the kids at school will imply you're poor.

I havent played Dread yet, but Super Metroid had arguably the highest skill ceiling of any Metroidvania I have played. And to be frank, that is what I am looking for.

And the free market has spoken. Metroid dread is selling really well. The right price is what hte market is willing to pay for it.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts
@Maroxad said:
O@uninspiredcup said:
@mysticaldonut said:

It's still a good point that there have been a whack-ton of excellent 2D metroidvania titles coming out in the past 5 years priced less than half of what Dread costs.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Maroxad

@pyro1245 said:

It's still a good point that there have been a whack-ton of excellent 2D metroidvania titles coming out in the past 5 years priced less than half of what Dread costs.

Not really, it would all depend on the production cost.

Not that I would be opposed to a pure 2d metroid game with beautiful handdrawn graphics. And a lower price point.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#58  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@Maroxad said:

This just isn't true. Metroid is a several decades old franchise with a lot of deep lore behind it. The story in Hollow Knight can't even compare to Dread. Metroid: Dread does virtually everything better than Hollow Knight, and I really like Hollow Knight a lot.

For people discussing how long the game is, it's no shorter than the campaign of most shooters. It's no shorter than RE VIII. And I had way more fun beating Dread the first time I am doing a second full playthrough of it. I may even do a third. Dread is a game a lot of people are going to speed run.

I also have no completed Hollow Knight. At some point, you just want to be done with the story. If it drones on and on, it gets boring, and I lose interest. There's a perfect length to a single player campaign and I've stated on here many times I believed that to be under 10 hours. 6-8 hours feels perfect.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts
@Maroxad said:
@pyro1245 said:

Not really, it would all depend on the production cost.

Not that I would be opposed to a pure 2d metroid game with beautiful handdrawn graphics. And a lower price point.

It really doesn't. Not at all. Especially in this genre when a team of just a few people can create an extremely fun 2d metroid experience.

Looking forward to playing Dread, but based on my gaming experiences in the past decade I strongly reject your assertion there.

(edit: maybe I misunderstood you post and you are saying the price is a result of production costs, which makes sense. I was thinking: fun is not proportional to production costs)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By uninspiredcup
@eoten said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Maroxad said:

This just isn't true. Metroid is a several decades old franchise with a lot of deep lore behind it. The story in Hollow Knight can't even compare to Dread. Metroid: Dread does virtually everything better than Hollow Knight, and I really like Hollow Knight a lot.

For people discussing how long the game is, it's no shorter than the campaign of most shooters. It's no shorter than RE VIII. And I had way more fun beating Dread the first time I am doing a second full playthrough of it. I may even do a third. Dread is a game a lot of people are going to speed run.

I also have no completed Hollow Knight. At some point, you just want to be done with the story. If it drones on and on, it gets boring, and I lose interest. There's a perfect length to a single player campaign and I've stated on here many times I believed that to be under 10 hours. 6-8 hours feels perfect.

While happily acknowledge what someone wants from a product is subjective, and suspect "story" is probably a minority, the aspect of price/time can be quantitively measured with Hollow Knight and directly compared. And I stand by my comment that this is up-priced purely because "Nintendo".

The "free market" line gets used a lot as an auto-get-out-Jail, But it doesn't actually mean "free from scrutiny".

If we put heroin legally on the market (which is quite morish) and sold it for 5 times the price it is right now, probably sell exceptionally well. Indicting people, really fucking like heroin.

That wouldn't stop it being "bullshit".

Overall, Nintendo is a exploitive company with a demonic like cult following, getting away with practices other obscure smaller developers would be lambasted for.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@jasonofa36: Send us the comparable. Game is already a masterpiece, maybe 4k puts it into god mode.

I posted that 4K vid in the other thread but the vid got shut down so already shaw the comparisons.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Maroxad
@pyro1245 said:

It really doesn't. Not at all. Especially in this genre when a team of just a few people can create an extremely fun 2d metroid experience.

Looking forward to playing Dread, but based on my gaming experiences in the past decade I strongly reject your assertion there.

I base my knowledge from my understanding of industrial economics.

@uninspiredcup said:

While happily acknowledge what someone wants from a product is subjective, and suspect "story" is probably a minority, the aspect of price/time can be quantitively measured with Hollow Knight and directly compared. And I stand by my comment that this is up-priced purely because "Nintendo".

The "free market" line gets used a lot as an auto-get-out-Jail, But it doesn't actually mean "free from scrutiny".

If we put heroin legally on the market (which is quite morish) and sold it for 5 times the price it is right now, probably sell exceptionally well. Indicting people, really fucking like heroin.

That wouldn't stop it being "bullshit".

Overall, Nintendo is a exploitive company with a demonic like cult following, getting away with practices other obscure smaller developers would be lambasted for.

Price/Time is a terrible metric. And if you disagree with that, I suggest you apply for a job at Blizzard Entertainment. A large part of why FF14 is more successful than WoW right now comes down to exactly this.

What is more important is the overall engagement. Hollow Knight does a phenomenal job with this though. So I am not jabbing HK by any means. But I really don't like the playtime metric at all, I am pretty sure my fun per hour will be higher in Metroid Dread. Do I think Metroid Dread will end up being the better product over HK? Probably not, its price point and length will hold it back from achieving just that. But from everything I have seen, Metroid Dread looks like an absolute gem.

"If we put heroin legally on the market (which is quite morish) and sold it for 5 times the price it is right now, probably sell exceptionally well. Indicting people, really fucking like heroin."

Coca-Cola puts as much sugar as they can in a product that they are legally allowed to in each individual country. They do this to make it more addicting. But that is enough snark for now.

Also, your analogy sucked in general.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Maroxad said:

Coca-Cola puts as much sugar as they can in a product that they are legally allowed to, and this varies from country to country. They do this to make it more addicting. But that is enough snark for now.

Not sure what point trying to make here. Just presented a more acceptable version of bad thing that is bad.

The point, which is very simple, is that it's morally dubious. Because people can, and willingly will be exploited, doesn't make it unworthy of scrutiny. That's, generally, exactly what publishers want, and exactly what publishers hate.

Even within the context of that comment "limited", a direct result of scrutiny, limiting (if ever so tepidly) their morally bankrupt reach.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39148 Posts

It felt to me like DF was sucky sucky Metroid in their review. Reminds me of every time a new Zelda comes out. No matter how good or bad the game is, if its a mainline Zelda, journos are sucking the shit outta these games.

And while i have nothing against the scores, when DF or somebody else says something like its the best 2D game, i kinda cringe.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44275 Posts

Meh, 9 hours sounds fine to me. I’m not one to be too fussed about some arbitrary length of time for a game though. I prefer to be focused on my experience with a game instead. I can thoroughly be satisfied with a short game if I get the feeling that it is a complete enough experience. I can also enjoy a really long game as long as I enjoy all that I’m doing in it without doing a bunch of stuff just to say I spent more time with it.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15580 Posts

So a 2.5d sidescroller with 2 gen old graphics can manage sub 1080p and 60fps? Oooooh Aaaaah.

I can appreciate the Switch for a few things but let's not pretend graphics is one of them.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I'll give it a watch later.

Rough image quality was expected. Load times felt lengthy, but feels that way every time I go back to Switch.

I definitely wasn't expecting the significant performance dips tho. Can't even remember the last time I saw frame drops in a side scroller lol.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#68 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7213 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: DF said the fps was flawless.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

@mysticaldonut said:

This. It should be $40 max.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Mesome713

@mojito1988: Metroid that low is a sin. Nobody would buy it. $40 is price of crap games that nobody wants. This game will sell 10million+. Heck, they should be charging that Sony tax at $70.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22388 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@Pedro: No, Metroid Dread blows Ori out the water visually, aurally, and gameplay wise. Ori is dead now. One hit wonder.

Lol... as much as I'm enjoying Metroid, I still think Ori is better overall (so far anyway, haven't finished Dread yet).

But yes, Dread does look and run very nicely (especially on OLED). And is very fun.

@mysticaldonut said:

Yeah you're right... only games that have pretty graphics but are boring & padded out with boring filler fetch quests to make it longer to trick you into thinking it's "better" bang for your buck, can be that price. Such a ridiculous argument 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ConanTheStoner

@mesome713 said:

@ConanTheStoner: DF said the fps was flawless.

Nah, they didn't. Wouldn't matter either way, I'm playing the game so I'd know lol.

"aims to deliver a smooth 60 fps experience" - proceeds to show a section dipping to the mid 40s.

Not even the worst section either.
Not even the worst section either.

Anyways I'd agree with him that it's mostly been good. Just thought it was funny to see this in a side scroller is all.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Mesome713

@ConanTheStoner: That was only spot in whole game he saw that. Dude stated it was back ground streaming that caused it. Not the game itself. And he couldn’t replicate it. So good try mate. Now go buy the game and stop faking.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8485 Posts

Wait, in which world Dread looks better than Ori visually?

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

Frame dips in a side scroller...gg Ninty.

Also, is there a legitimate point to the 30 fps cutscenes in a 60 fps game? I see it frequently and it's a pet peeve. So noticeable.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Mesome713

@pc_rocks: In that review world I guess. This isn’t first reviewer who stated it looked way better. DF called it best looking one they have ever seen.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8485 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@pc_rocks: In that review world I guess. This isn’t first reviewer who stated it looked way better. DF called it best looking one they have ever seen.

Quotes it looks way better than Ori?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Mesome713

@pc_rocks: You’ll have to look in video. He states best side scroller he has even seen. Also IGN stated it was best side scroller ever. Many other reviewers have stated the same. But don’t mate, you can still like that game even though they say Metroid Dread is best. It’s ok.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ConanTheStoner
@vl4d_l3nin said:

Frame dips in a side scroller...gg Ninty.

Also, is there a legitimate point to the 30 fps cutscenes in a 60 fps game? I see it frequently and it's a pet peeve. So noticeable.

For a lot of games it's so they can add that extra bit of spectacle or higher res assets for closeups.

But yeah can be distracting, was really noticeable on my Bayo replay last week.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Mesome713

@vl4d_l3nin: There are no frame dips. Dude stated it dipped a couple times due to background streaming and couldn’t replicate the issue. He stated the FPS was flawless and a technical wonder.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ConanTheStoner

@pc_rocks:

He's just trolling man. Whole thread is full of misquotes lol

Even this bit from his OP

They call it a visually, aurally, and gameplay wise masterpiece.

Isn't what they say.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Mesome713

@ConanTheStoner: That was a translation. That’s why I didn’t quote it. Was at beginning of the video.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By uninspiredcup
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Yeah you're right... only games that have pretty graphics but are boring & padded out with boring filler fetch quests to make it longer to trick you into thinking it's "better" bang for your buck, can be that price. Such a ridiculous argument 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Sadly this argument is attempting to circumvent Nintendo from potential criticism by augmenting reality.

The argument wasn't just length, but also a measure of critical and public reception, as well as price to that game length and perceived quality within that time frame.

Aesthetics weren't actually brought up. Even though Hollow Knight is obviously, extremely beautiful compared to Dread.

A comparative, measurable, 1/5 the price Nintendo is charging. With a measurable average of 20+ hours game time, with measured public and critical assessment that matches or bests it in most cases.

It would seem, as an impartial outsider, Hollow Knight smokes it.

Of course what matters here, is your opinion. What makes you happy. If you enjoy paying X5 times the price for an inferior experience, but it makes you happy, it's not my place to judge.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Mesome713

@uninspiredcup: Which is why this game is so amazing. Even after the high bar set by Hollow Knight, Metroid Dread destroyed it. Dread is looking to sell 10million on just one platform. Something HK could only dream of on 10 platforms.

I mean come on bro, Hollow Knight sold like 3 million on 10 platforms? Guess wasn’t that good of a deal after all.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts

Got the game and watched kids play it briefly. It's gonna be fun, but come on, I can't say the game looks good by any metric.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ConanTheStoner

@mesome713:

lol troll ass. 😂

If you'll drop the shtick for just a sec, are actually playing the game? Enjoying it at all?

Also, why drop the Iandizion account?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By uninspiredcup

@mesome713: Hollow Knight was an indie game with practically no marketing beyond good word of mouth that went on to sell 3+ million copies and be regarded as one of the best (if not the best) in its genre.

Dread is a game in along running franchise well established in the public eye, from the most famous gaming company in the world, renowned for quality.

If anything, Hollow Knight deserves more praise.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Mesome713

@uninspiredcup: Yet best selling Metroid game barely made it pass 3 million. A record Metroid Dread is gonna destroy.

But let’s be real, Hollow Knight sales were helped by people calling it a great Metroidmania game.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17673 Posts

Wait…..Metroid…..sells?

What a fucking shocker. Get off your ass, make a decent game, and everything falls into place. Who woulda thunk? 🙄

At least now we can be spared the pathetic apologetics by Nintendo fanboys who go to any lengths to defend Nintendo’s laziness with Metroid.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Mesome713

@MirkoS77: Nintendo not lazy anymore. Have you seen the advertising on this game. It’s insane. The advertising has be amazing.

Although Nintendo still hates money. That Amiibo is sold out everywhere and lazy arse Nintendo won’t make any more. Why does Nintendo hate money?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39148 Posts
@Chutebox said:

Got the game and watched kids play it briefly. It's gonna be fun, but come on, I can't say the game looks good by any metric.

Lower your standards to what's available on the Switch, a system stuck 7-12 years behind competition, and it'll look incredible.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17673 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@MirkoS77: Nintendo not lazy anymore. Have you seen the advertising on this game. It’s insane. The advertising has be amazing.

Although Nintendo still hates money. That Amiibo is sold out everywhere and lazy arse Nintendo won’t make any more. Why does Nintendo hate money?

Yes, it’s good to see.

Hopefully this response by consumers will tell Nintendo that this is a franchise they should accord more attention to.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@uninspiredcup: I take your point, but I never mentioned any specific games... my point was that the perceived notion that because a game is longer and has more realistic graphics, makes it better value for money or is worth more than a shorter game with less realistic graphics, is silly imo.

Like you said, it's personal preference. But it's an interesting topic... for example, I think of a game like Inside which is a 2-3 hour indie game which was relatively cheap compared to a standard "AAA" release. But that game is such a masterpiece and I enjoyed it and got so much pleasure out of it, that to me it was easily worth the price of a full blown AAA game.

Maybe the moral isn't that games like Metroid Dread should be cheaper, but games like Ori & Hollow Knight should be more.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Best played on PC

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Mesome713

@Gatygun: Actually. Best played on Switch. I was playing Metroid Dread at training class. I wish my powerful PC was portable.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@pc_rocks:

He's just trolling man. Whole thread is full of misquotes lol

Even this bit from his OP

They call it a visually, aurally, and gameplay wise masterpiece.

Isn't what they say.

IDK how people like this aren't banned. Total shitshow

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@mesome713 said:

@Pedro: No, Metroid Dread blows Ori out the water visually, aurally, and gameplay wise. Ori is dead now. One hit wonder.

Lol... as much as I'm enjoying Metroid, I still think Ori is better overall (so far anyway, haven't finished Dread yet).

But yes, Dread does look and run very nicely (especially on OLED). And is very fun.

@mysticaldonut said:

You're clearly too stupid to even respond to.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Mesome713

@mysticaldonut: Insulting people should get you banned. My quote is accurate, I turned on the CC to get it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#99  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69716 Posts

@eoten said:

This just isn't true. Metroid is a several decades old franchise with a lot of deep lore behind it. The story in Hollow Knight can't even compare to Dread. Metroid: Dread does virtually everything better than Hollow Knight,

That is simply false.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@mysticaldonut: Yet you just did 🤷‍♂️