Digital Foundry on Star Citizen: "What Cloud Imperium has achieved is quite phenomenal"

• 103 results
Utherellus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Utherellus
Member since 2016 • 107 Posts

Alex Battaglia presents a very personal take on a potentially phenomenal game. Star Citizen has already been in development for years, and it's still far from complete. But what Cloud Imperium has achieved is already quite phenomenal. This is one potential vision for next-gen gaming, and a PC exclusive to boot - here's first look at a remarkable game.

Do you own a starter 45$ package?

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

It is phenomenal, I mean they've fleeced hermits of hundreds of millions of dollars, and haven't delivered a product and can't even produce a release date lol.

I mean c'mon hermits after they named something citizencon how did you not catch on?

I'll just leave this here :)

#masterlolrace

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#3 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Can't wait for Sq42 next year.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts
@Cloud_imperium said:

in 2019: cant wait for SQ42 next year

in 2030: cant wait for SQ42 to release next year.

Star citizen is by far biggest scam of this decade. starting from development since 2012 and been in pre alpha in late 2019 in just beyond me.

give up, it will never going to release.

Utherellus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Utherellus

@ghosts4ever:

> "scam"
> game is fun and from the technical standpoint, they achieved paramount of game engineering

k

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts
@utherellus said:

@ghosts4ever:

> "scam"

> game is fun and from the technical standpoint, they achieved paramount of game engineering

k

It will never going to release.

it was suppose to release in a 2014, then 2015, then 2016. guess what. still in beta testing.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

He summed up everything so well

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

I haven't payed attention to Star Citizen in a long time, man it still looks great. The level of detail is amazing especially when you can see the bullet being loaded into the chamber. The facial details and animations are uncanny and that bit at the end of the video really creeped me out.

I wonder if this game will ever add in ray tracing or at least to Squadron 42.

Utherellus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Utherellus

@ghosts4ever:

in 2014 game had 30% scope of today's.

U start making bigger game, open 5 studios instead of 2, set a new technological standarts in MMO genre, when instead of 30-40 millions u get 250

Utherellus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Utherellus
Loading Video...

They are upgrading own tech like crazy. This change happened in one year.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Scam Citizen

Wonder how many supercars and mansions this guy now has, this generation of gamers are thick as shit.

Utherellus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Utherellus

@Random_Matt: Knowing from the official UK GOV COMPANIES HOUSE annual reports of CIG's earnings and expenses, not many ;)

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/latest-announcements/annual-companies-house-report

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@utherellus said:

@ghosts4ever:

> "scam"

k

It will never going to release.

it was suppose to release in a 2014, then 2015, then 2016. guess what. still in beta testing.

You said they started development in 2012, yet you also say they had a planned release in 2014? Are you really that daft, ghosts?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#14 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

I haven't looked at the game in a while. That DF video shows off some good stuff. Thanks for posting.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Mehh graphic doesn’t really make a game good to be honest... so yeah show some gameplay and a firm release date and I might consider being hyped!

Also if this game ever releases and becomes a success, you know this crap will also be released for next gen consoles..

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56103 Posts

I watch the latest DF on their take with Star Citizen, I thought no one wasn't gonna post it but here we are.

Honestly, this is way more informative talking about the tech then your typical graphics show. I thinks it's more for people who know what is is but think progress isn't happening, DF did really well explaining it. I was a little disappointed with this because he didn't go into depth, but I suppose I shouldn't be expecting a full DF graphics and tech breakdown here. This was more of a short summary of the main features of SC from a high level.

I'd love DF to do a full graphics breakdown, but SC is constantly getting improvements so that will be hard. Planet tech v4 on the way, improved character stuff, gas clouds, new renderer, shadows, planetary fog, maybe clouds etc. Hopefully they will do a video at least after some of the major visual issues are addressed. That said, I do need to return to the world of SC but all these new release games though.

This was a really great overview of the way the game is structured and how it's progressing as the days goes by. Thanks for sharing :)

Utherellus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Utherellus

Uhumm.

Especially would love to see Squadron 42 tech breakdown because it's one of the BEST looking upcoming Singleplayer games for sure.

dude_sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dude_sh
Member since 2019 • 47 Posts

The textures looks too clean to make it look realistic....look more cartoony imo.

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

Coming 2030

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

I'd never dream of contributing with my money in order to "some day get a product maybe". I just like to sit on the side watching this game develop. When and if we get a reasonably priced game out of this, I'll probably think about getting it.

What's the new popular estimated release date? 2025? Later? Never? To think anything earlier than 2025 would just be silly, considering the state it's in now and in which speed its' development is going. I'm thinking it's either 2025 at the earliest, or they will abandon a shitload of features to get it out earlier.

As it is now, I think some studio could probably pretty easily do a smaller scale Star Citizen with a regular development time, feed those who hungers for such a game, and steal CI's thunder. I think it's pretty important that CI gets this game out ASAP if they want more people to buy it.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

It always blows my mind that this game is a technical marvel (from what I keep reading) yet its still one of the most drab and boring looking games I've seen in years.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Pretty nuts how far they are ahead of the curve.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@djoffer said:

Mehh graphic doesn’t really make a game good to be honest... so yeah show some gameplay and a firm release date and I might consider being hyped!

Also if this game ever releases and becomes a success, you know this crap will also be released for next gen consoles..

Most likely.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

Currently only have two ships, the Super Hornet and the Cutlass Black. Ppl have been criticizing this game from the beginning but anyone who’s played the game can see the potential that this game has. This is basically GTA in space taken to the next level. Much more freedom than GTA and 100x bigger. People laughed at us early backers, now people will hopefully start to understand why we were so hyped for this game.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

It is phenomenal, I mean they've fleeced hermits of hundreds of millions of dollars, and haven't delivered a product and can't even produce a release date lol.

I mean c'mon hermits after they named something citizencon how did you not catch on?

#masterlolrace

The OP is not about Xbox. You got confused.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@pc_rocks said:
@i_p_daily said:

#masterlolrace

The OP is not about Xbox. You got confused.

Don't feed the troll! (And yes, this has nothing to do with Xbox One at all)

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I watched that vid.

I gotta admit it piqued my interest. The stuff they have built is indeed very impressive. Still not enough there for me to jump in, but as I've said before: Once it's ready I'll sure play it.

I haven't contributed anything to this game. I'm a big supported of crowd-funding, but when I learned of this project many years ago they already had millions in funding so I didn't feel the need to contribute.

Damn impressive tech though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@davillain-: Telling the truth is not trolling, as a mod you should know this already :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@pc_rocks: Thats the best you could come up with?

Dude you need to face the fact that this is a scam, it has shown that you hermits are the most gullible fanbase out there lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@NoodleFighter:

You just gave them an idea, add another studio and ask for another 50 million just for tracing the rays.

Release date pushed back to 2050. There you go hermits noodle is to blame for another delay lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaVillain  Moderator

@i_p_daily said:

@davillain-: Telling the truth is not trolling, as a mod you should know this already :)

And yet, you are trolling in a Digital Foundry thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

I never paid attention to this game but watching this video was pretty cool. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I have no faith this game will ever get released.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Yeah it's a shame people are so eager to hate on Star Citizen. I won't say it isn't deserved, but it's also not unprecedented (more than a few games have taken a few years to make).

And people forget the most important thing about Star Citizen: it pushes the limits, and is high profile. AAA development has been stagant--COD the same year after year, Battlefield the same year after year, and so on--so it's important that something pushes the boundaries to get the major publishers off their asses and trying new things as well.

But whatever, these are games; I can wait as long as I have to, plenty of other amazing games out there.

Though I do wish it would come out haha.

@Cloud_imperium said:

Yeah me as well.

When the games does come out, it's going to change things. This is a privately-held, independently-published company that is going to make a game that sits at the top of the food chain. It's a niche genre so, no, it won't sell as many copies as CoD, but as far as quality, gameplay, and so forth it is going to redefine game development.

"AAA" games can suck it, I'll wait for this before I play another CoD or Far Cry.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Alpha: 2012-2025

Beta: 2025-2030

Release: 2031

Then to suck more money out of the backers they will let you buy planets.

Game will be filled with micro and MEGA transactions.

DLC will be up the wazoo. Like it will have the most DLC ever created. It will add like a 10 minute mission for $1000 every week and the hermits will buy them.

It boggles my mind how much money hermits have to burn.

Where do you guys get your money from? I have a feeling you use the dark web to scam people and rack up tons of credit cards under fake names.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Yea, this video came off as a sales pitch. Is CIG throwing DF some backer funds?

Looks cool, but I’m wondering if the creators are keeping in mind, when all the amazing tech is said and done, is the game actually fun? I don’t care how advanced something is if I’m not enjoying myself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@davillain- said:
@i_p_daily said:

And yet, you are trolling in a Digital Foundry thread.

I'm not though, it has taken in money from Kickstarter, private donations, money from Citizencon, Private dinners etc. Its been in production since 2012, and the big one is they sell you ships that cost thousands of dollars. I mean $27,000 for a ship pack is a scam.

Nothing I have said is untrue and hence not trolling, i'm trying to inform you hermits, a public service announcement if you will, but you guys just keep drinking the kool aid :(

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

#masterlolrace

Your right, it is a con. ALso took so long bragging rights went out the window. It's not like next gen consoles couldn't handle this.

That said, to throw in a whataboutism, this is gaming, and conning people out of their money is the norm more and more. Capcom DLC, EA, MS with Xbox One and Kinect. Yearly sports updates, remasters, Forza and all it's DLC. £25 season passes for every other game.

I feel like everyone gets conned at some point with gaming these days. Not like it used to be in the 6th gen, where you just bought your £30 game and that was it. Now it's £40 plus with all this other crap. I think the Deluxe version of Forza games are £60 to £80. It's gotten out of hand imo.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I was playing 3.7 last night. The seamless transition from space to planet is impressive, hardly any noticeable LOD switching, at least on the moon I landed on for a couple of missions I picked up.

There were a few surprising things added too, like the ability to make your own missions that appear on the job boards for other players. At one point I was stranded without a ship near an old destroyed station and I made a retrieval mission for someone to pick me up and drop me off at a station for 2000UEC. After about 3 minuites had passed another player from the other side of the system chose the job I had put on and my UI updated showing me his distance from me. I hopped in his ship and stood over his shoulder looking out the cockpit window as he supercruised back to the space station to drop me off. The way the ships have their own gravity separate to the outside itself is really quite impressive.

That said its still early development and you can tell. There are still loads of bugs and the servers randomly crash quite often, in fact the whole reason I was stranded in space is because when I EVAd my Mustang Alpha decided to shoot off ahead of me into space, it's probably light-years away by now... When the game works though, it is very impressive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Everytime I see one of these videos, I get so hyped about the game. But then I realize this a cash cow for chris roberts and the game may forever be stuck on early access. Still looking forward to SQ42 if it ever releases.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@i_p_daily said:

#masterlolrace

Your right, it is a con. ALso took so long bragging rights went out the window. It's not like next gen consoles couldn't handle this.

That said, to throw in a whataboutism, this is gaming, and conning people out of their money is the norm more and more. Capcom DLC, EA, MS with Xbox One and Kinect. Yearly sports updates, remasters, Forza and all it's DLC. £25 season passes for every other game.

I feel like everyone gets conned at some point with gaming these days. Not like it used to be in the 6th gen, where you just bought your £30 game and that was it. Now it's £40 plus with all this other crap. I think the Deluxe version of Forza games are £60 to £80. It's gotten out of hand imo.

There's a big difference in games coming with ultimate editions being more expensive, and remasters being made, season passes etc, they are finished when you have the option to buy them and can watch videos etc to see what you are getting.

Star Citizen is a Kickstarter project where people have invested their money BEFORE the product is complete, in fact before the game has even been started. Game devs don't have dinners to sell the people who have shelled out the most money on ships to try & sell them more ships while also charging them for the dinner, there's even a $27,000 ship pack, all that is on a whole new level to all the other stuff you mentioned, so much so it pales into insignificance.

Name anything you would pay for where you have no idea when you're going to get it, and you're still waiting after 7yrs?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

The saga of this game is just ridiculous

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#43 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

This video focuses on some of the most meaningless aspects of a game. Its almost like he is trying verify hard to justify why anyone should care about this vaporware. 7 years and it still "early in development".

Utherellus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Utherellus

"The saga of this game is just ridiculous"

"Its almost like he is trying verify hard to justify why anyone should care about this vaporware"

How neglectable and feeble quotes.

When will people acknowledge that CIG is pushing limits of the industry, making everyone else crawl behind ;)

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Dude you need to face the fact that this is a scam, it has shown that you hermits are the most gullible fanbase out there lol.

Nope the way you worded sounded like X1. $500, Kinect, won't be playable w/o Kinect, power of the clouds to make it 3X more powerful (than PS4?). How did that turn out? Oh wait, you guys have been part of a bigger scam known as pay to play online for well over a decade.

Still need to prove that how SC is a scam (yet), they never said it's finished, they share all their progress as DF in the very video mentioned, the game is playable and gets constant improvements.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

In SC's defense it is without a doubt the most ambitious game ever created. It'll come out when it comes out. It's good to know they are still working on it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Pedro
@Juub1990 said:

In SC's defense it is without a doubt the most ambitious game ever created. It'll come out when it comes out. It's good to know they are still working on it.

It is definitely ambitious. No game has conned so many PC gamers so hard and still conning them without a clear release date after 7 years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@pc_rocks said:
@i_p_daily said:

Nope the way you worded sounded like X1. $500, Kinect, won't be playable w/o Kinect, power of the clouds to make it 3X more powerful (than PS4?). How did that turn out? Oh wait, you guys have been part of a bigger scam known as pay to play online for well over a decade.

Still need to prove that how SC is a scam (yet), they never said it's finished, they share all their progress as DF in the very video mentioned, the game is playable and gets constant improvements.

Yeah the XB1 is a scam that you can play over 1,000 games on, My XB1 played without the Kinect day 1, as for the cloud I never really read into that, but in the end the XB1 was designed and built in far less time than SC which doesn't have a RELEASE DATE 7yrs on.

For $27,000 you could buy and XB1 and pretty much every game released for the system.

For $27,000 on Star Citizen you get you every thing in Star Citizen except the most important thing, a release date lol.

Now tell which is the scam here.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@Pedro said:

It is definitely ambitious. No game has conned so many PC gamers so hard and still conning them without a clear release date after 7 years.

You aren't wrong. Until it comes out it can be considered a scam. The budget is outrageous and some of the practices are questionable but at the same time with the lofty promises Chris Roberts had made, I never believed any of his planned release dates.

No skin off my back really. Awesome if it comes out. If it doesn't, 300M down the drain which thankfully ain't mine.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pedro

@Juub1990 said:

You aren't wrong. Until it comes out it can be considered a scam. The budget is outrageous and some of the practices are questionable but at the same time with the lofty promises Chris Roberts had made, I never believed any of his planned release dates.

No skin off my back really. Awesome if it comes out. If it doesn't, 300M down the drain which thankfully ain't mine.

They collected 300M so far? WTF? That's insane.